Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I will say it now....We are gonna miss the hell out of Dockery

scottlo34

you know what....... i really want to see the next preseason game with wade at tackle, right or left, move heyer inside, or fabini, or something, jansen has lost his touch, i've been thinking that for years, crap move jansen inside put wade at tackle, i dunno, jansen just seems gassed and lazy to me, sure he has been tough for years but i think he blows these days. lets see buges shuffle that deck, get us a tough line for the next three preseason games.

Does it stink that we lost a solid player who we spent years grooming? Of course. Was there anything REALISTICALLY speaking we could have done about it? Not really.

Some of you people need to use common sense on this one. Samuels and Jansen are making top 5 money at their positions of LT and RT, respectively. Randy Thomas, before this incredible haul by the free agent guards, was paid top 6-8 guard money. Casey Rabach was likely on the fringes of top 10 Center money.

So we're supposed to go and pay Dockery more than all of them? Impossible. Our offensive line would be taking up half our cap. No team does this. I can't think of a team that pays primo money to 4 lineman let alone all starting 5. If they did, it would be at the expense of other units on the field.

Is it possible that we could have locked the guy up a year or 2 ago? Maybe but no one really knows what Dockery was looking for except the parties involved. If he was looking for as much as Big Randy after 1 good season (in 3) I would have told him to eat my ass. We're not talking about tearing up Sean Andrews contract here. It would have been a major gamble back in early 2005. And who knows how hungry he would have been after getting an early payday.

If we can't manufacture ONE servicable guard from the draft or free agency then we dont deserve to have a good line. Gibbs and co. inherited everyone except Rabach. He was blessed with 4 solid/excellent players that most teams would kill for. We lost Dockery? So what? I aint mad at ya. But go out and find someone else. Good organizations do it ALL THE TIME.

Dock didn't look all that great last weekend in his debut with the Bills.

Besides, before last season, who here would've said Dock was worth 48 million?? No balance(he couldn't keep his feet half the time he pulled), his penchant for penalties, all marred his career up until last season.

Heck, go back in the archive and look at the 2004 and 2005 threads when talking about our Oline. A majority of posters here had Dock as the weakest guy on our line and rightly so.

So Dock has the classic "play well in a contract year". I'm still not buying it.

Granted it was one preseason game. Granted Samuels was out. I just got a bad feeling that as the season progresses ladies and gents, having Dockery still here along with a healthy CP, our running game would have been absolutely lights out. Yes, I know we couldn't afford him. In fact, we have to hope beyond hope that the O-line stays healthy this year and that Wade can play the guard position or it could be real trouble running the ball this year. I had a sneaky feeling that the defense was gonna be horrible last year, in fact I can dig it up on one of my posts to verify it. I got the same strange feeling about the O-Line....We are gonna miss Dockery badly....comments? :logo:

Same thing we said about Pierce. Welcome, London Fletcher. :cheers:

Did Wade do that badly?

I miss him already. I know Dockery got grossly overpaid by the Bills but it's inevitable that we are gonna overpay players, we might as well have overpaid one of our own guys for a change.

That has to be absolutely the worse Defense for Dockery's services being outbid by Buffalo that I have ever heard.

I say bring in Alan Faneca from the steelers and place wade as back up' date=' Samuels will come back. Faneca hates the steelers why not trade for him for a second round pick. The skins gave the falcons a third round pick for duckett for god sack.[/quote']

No more giving up picks for 30 year olds. Seriously. A SECOND rounder? For a Guard? :doh:

I disagree. This offensive line didnt even gel last year until some games had been played. Why then, with a rookie undrafted FA starting as the LT, a new LG starting, as well as one or two players coming back from injuries, do you expect to be able to judge our offensive line so early?

Heyer will not be starting during the season, and I fail to see how with less than 5 mill in cap room, we could have kept a man who got payed 7 mill a year average.

I thinkthe loss of Dock is a blow, but he was not worth that amount of money. The chemistry will suffer for a few games, which is why I am glad to see our D flying around cause that will help us until the offense really starts to fire on all cylinders.

As for Dock not looking good in Buffalo, that is too bad and I wish him well, but if you took Jacoby, Grimm or any of the hogs and put them on another team back in the day I don't think they would have been as dominant as they were. Not necessarily the system, but the chemistry of the line. None of them had overwhelming talent (although with Russ Grimm listed as our fourth string quarterback at one time I was always hoping to see him throw one) just as I don't think any of our player now have overwhelming talent.

They are hardworkers who aren't afraid to get down and dirty and as a unit I think we are going to be just fine this year.

• 2 weeks later...
yeah that was a big mistake.

The most penalized O-Lineman on the team. Please!! The Skins made contract offers early in the season that were turned down. Then somebody grossly over pays for an average left guard. And you think we made a big mistake. :doh:

chemistry is hurt with DD gone. We will be fine once the line gels, no matter who is playing LG, to be honest we kept the best 4 out of 5. How hard can it be to replace a lineman that didnt show much upside. We are just auditioning that spot and i hope kendall will stick

The issue is so much bigger than Dockery. There never seemed to be much interest in developing and retaining home grown talent. In any other industry, firms worry about attracting and retaining talent. You would think that in the Coach Gibbs' era that would be a more relevant concern than any other, what with talks of "core redskins" and such. Doesn't really seem to be the case. Redskins use words like "core" and "family" without really having any understanding of what those words mean. I'd be so much happier if we just acknowledged this was a business and set up a successful business model because this way, I just feel like I'm getting duped at both ends.

Guys like Dockery and Smoot should have been re-signed as early as two years before their contracts were up. They weren't first round guys but played like it for us.

And that's really not even the full list of this FO's faults. They really are incapable of successfully identifying real talent, either through the draft or free agency. You'd be hard pressed to find a more incompetent group in the NFL. Definitely Top 5.

Archived