Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the worst team to make it to a SB?

Gart Monk

1) 1979 Los Angeles Rams (9-7): The Rams won 10 games every year from 1972-1978 but couldn't make it to the Super Bowl. Despite awful quarterback play from Pat Haden and Vince Ferragamo, they somehow made it in 1979, the only team to ever make the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record.

This is who I was gonna say. The 1979 LA Rams. Beat someone (Dallass) for the divisional and then beat TB 9-0 in the NFC championship game.

...the Patriots who were 14-2, had a +110 point differential

This is actually very UNimpressive. A 14-2 team with only a 110-point differential? This has to be the most mediocre 14-2 team ever. Contrast this with the '91 Skins, who had a 261-point differential. Now, THAT was a dominant team.

This is actually very UNimpressive. A 14-2 team with only a 110-point differential? This has to be the most mediocre 14-2 team ever. Contrast this with the '91 Skins, who had a 261-point differential. Now, THAT was a dominant team.

Uhh...ok...

If we went 14-2 next season with a defense that allowed only 200 points and an offense that scored just 310 points, on the way to a superbowl win would you be unsatisfied because we didn't prove we were better than everybody else by as much as you would have liked to?

You don't go 14-2 and win the superbowl if you are mediocre. You go 11-5, 9-7, 10-6, 12-4 then procede to get blown out by 21 points or more.

2000 giants, hands down.

I agree. That team was weak as hell. Even though they manhandled Minnesota like 41-0 in the NFC Championship Game, they were the worst. I was so pissed when they beat the Vikings because I knew the Ravens would kill the Giants.

I think the Ravens woulda beat the Vikings as well, but it woulda been interesting to see Culpepper and Moss and their offense play against the Ravens D (hate to admit that D was one of the best of all-time).

Damn that SuperBowl sucked ass!!!! An NFC E team getting killed by the entity I hate most on this planet.

Uhh...ok...

If we went 14-2 next season with a defense that allowed only 200 points and an offense that scored just 310 points, on the way to a superbowl win would you be unsatisfied because we didn't prove we were better than everybody else by as much as you would have liked to?

You don't go 14-2 and win the superbowl if you are mediocre. You go 11-5, 9-7, 10-6, 12-4 then procede to get blown out by 21 points or more.

Relax, Francis. Didn't say they were mediocre, just said they must have been the most mediocre 14-2 ever (losers to the 5-11 Redskins, BTW). To be fair, there may have been worse 14-2 teams, but most, I think it's safe to say, were more dominant than this. Now, of course I would be happy if the Redskins were to win a Super Bowl in this fashion. That wasn't the point.

The point is that a 110-point differential with a 14-2 record sounds like the Patriots played many close games that season. So, the Panthers staying close to them isn't really a surprise - it's what you would expect, therefore the Panthers shouldn't be considered in a better light for doing so. Many teams stayed close to the Patriots that season. They were obviously stellar at winning tight games.

I think it was the 69-70 Vikings. That year, they were 12-2, which is a very good record. However, of the 12 wins, the combined records of those teams were 66 wins, 87 loses and 1 tie. The two teams they lost to were the Giants who were 6-8 and the Falcons who were also 6-8. They played the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl IV and lost 23-7. KC held them to 67 yards rushing, the Vikes fumbles three times and threw three INTs. If memory serves, there only score was from a short field off a Paul Krause INT. They, IMO, were not a good team at all. They were the product of an extremely easy schedule and it showed in the Super Bowl.

Archived