Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strahan Calls Out Eli Manning!

pjfootballer

I'm going to pretend that I'm TR1 today. Found this article/blog, whatever you want to call it.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/10/giants-michael-strahan-i-need-eli-manning-to-mature-now/

Giants' Michael Strahan: 'I Need [Eli Manning] to Mature Now'

Posted Jul 10th 2007 3:24PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, New York, The Word

Giants defensive end Michael Strahan, who holds the NFL record for sacks in a single season, is starting to feel his age.

"I always tell them (media) I'm retiring every year," Strahan said. "I've been saying I'm going to retire for the past five years ... who knows, man. Every year I go day to day, game to game. Some days I wake up and I think there is no way I can do it. Other days I wake up and I think I can do it for another five years. We'll see."

Based on that comment, you'd think the pressure to win a championship is at an all time high. And, actually, it is. Strahan realizes that he doesn't have many opportunities left and that each chance could be the last one. He also realizes that other players, namely Eli Manning, need to step up in order for him to hoist that Super Bowl trophy.

"You don't say, 'Well, we can win in two years or three years.' I don't have two or three years right now. I'm thinking of winning right now. They say Eli (Manning) is going to mature. Well, I need him to mature now. The thing about this season is that the sense of urgency is greater than it has ever been."Quite a few players have been singling Manning out this offseason, calling for him to finally break out. Whether or not that happens, remains to be seen. However, it's clear that he's not going to get that five-year window most young quarterbacks get. It has become apparent that it's now or never for Manning, as well as Strahan.

Photos: New York's Top Athletes

Comments [57]PermalinkEmail ThisLinking BlogsShare This

Add this post to...NetscapeDiggDel.icio.usYardBarkerBallhypeFark

Reader Comments ( Page 1 of 3)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 20 Comments

1. Strahan deserves a lot of credit I think. Yes he has never really shown up in a big spot or game for that matter, and he does talk/blast away at the media way too much. But I think he's actually been good in one particular area...not requesting a trade to a team "on-the-verge" to get another Super Bowl shot. This maybe because almost every team any given season is "on-the-verge" but I respect the fact that he has stayed with the Giants through this whole Eli mess.

Posted at 3:36PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Rob

2. I also respect the fact that throughout his career with the Giants he's never complained nor demanded anything. He deserves a lot of resspect for putting up and staying true to his commitment to the New York football Giant's Organization. I also - as a Giant's fan - Hope that QB we have would man-up and start acting like a true QB and show more emotions other that the one " dear caught in the headlights" look , damn it just thinking about it makes me sick...where's Phillips Rivers ...what a mistake we made.

Posted at 3:53PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Taco Bell

3. Strahan has never shown up in a big game? Yea OK. Stra brings it every sunday. Obviously your an Eagles fan.

Posted at 4:53PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Wow

4. To say that Michael Strahan doesn’t show up for big games or big plays show’s that Rob has little understanding of the player or the game. No one plays at a 100% level like Sray!

In most big games and big situations he’s doubled teamed and sometimes tripled teamed!

The best run stuffing Defensive End in the past 10 years.

Stay is the greatest Giant defensive player since LT and he's going to Canton!!

As for Eli, his biggest issue is there are times he is sheer brilliant and everyone wants that all the time. In New York there’s little time to grow and mature. The most prestigious position in all of sports next the SS-CF for the Yankees is QB. For the New York Giants!.

Go Eli! Take us home!

Posted at 4:56PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Nick Gee

5. Count me in with the "Eli needs to mature now" crowd. This is his time to step up and not only be the leader of the team, but to elevate his game in one area - consistency. If he can do that, everything else will fall into place.

I certainly hope Mike retires a Giant. I know he has financial issues stemming from his divorce and he has to prepare himself financially for life after football, which is right around the corner for him. Best of luck to you Mike! Stay healthy and have another Pro Bowl season!

Talk about the Giants here:

http://www.ny-footballgiants.com

http://www.giantsfans.net

Posted at 4:57PM on Jul 10th 2007 by T200

6. until Manning stops being stuiped hemight mature. he does not throw an nfl football. He throws a good one and then three bad ones. that does not cut in the nfl. Most are not even spirals. They are all mostly wobbly passes. It will be interasting to see what he will do without Tikki who saved him many times. I am a long time Giant fan in colorado

Posted at 6:02PM on Jul 10th 2007 by fred

7. maybe it is time for Strahan to step it up this year as well....if my memory serves me well....seems he sat out about half the season with an injury....Eli Manning took every snap at QB behind a make shift offensive line...with no protection and no time to even throw the ball....seems he had a has been trying to play tackle that couldnt stop anyone from rushing the QB and on the defensive side of the ball the Giants were awful....maybe if the defense shows up this year maybe the Giants might have a shot.....maybe Eli's biggest mistake so far was to go the Giants anyway...the teammates he has are a bunch of whiners with big ego's...it's time to shutup and do your job...maybe catch the ball once in a while..and not get caught holding on every other play...everyone always wants to point the finger at the QB.when his teammates have to play as well...

Eli is a good QB...not a miracle worker

Posted at 6:23PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Ed

8. Guys its a little too early to push the panic button and point fingers at Eli.The guy has passed for 24 tds and over 3000 yds each of the last 2 seasons.Pretty good stats for someone still developing.He's doing better in this stage of his career than another qb who took us to the super bowl aka Phil Simms.If you must point fingers point it at the defense which has become reactive instead of proactive and agressive.We need guys like Sam madison and Corey Webster to step up and be playmakers.Eli will do just fine .Give him some credit

Posted at 7:17PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Dennis

9. Why can't he just shut up and play. He is the one coming off a down year. That is bad leadership, put the pressure on the young QB.

Posted at 7:36PM on Jul 10th 2007 by LB

10. well strahan is right in a lot of ways when you demand 113million right outta collage you better be able to produce & eli aint yet & he aint never goin to be a great QB desent yes great/ hall framer #s never but the giant payed him like he was 1 shame on them they should have passed on him & let him fall down to # 3,4 , 5 even 10 then there would have bin noway his father aka agent could have held the nfl hostage , stanhan a great player team guy eli is only out for eli the best thing giant can do is trade him some fool gm might give them something good 2 #1 be nice , ps i feel bad for strahan( he on a team that will never win ) but not for the gaints or manning

Posted at 8:30PM on Jul 10th 2007 by manonironhorse

11. Stahan saying Eli needs to step up isn't inappropriate at all, but he also ought to at the same time acknowledge the defense's pathetic failures over the past few seasons. They almost never made a key stop late in a game. Their turnovers were scarce. They reacted to the offense instead of forcing the ofense to react to them. And they did a lousy job of getting good field position for the offense in tight games. Everyone has to be realistic. Given what Manning has had to work with (poor field position, a lot of the "dropsies" on the part of receivers, inconsistent pass protection that has given him a few tenths of a second too little time to step into his passes, and a stupid offensive scheme) I think he has done okay. Not great, but okay. About as well as could reasonably be expected. I think he needs another year and a stronger team around him before he "breaks out" and if Strahan won't be around for it that's too bad, but that's life in the NFL. If the Giants have another good draft after this season, and if Corey Webster lives up to his physical potential, and if Steve Smith proves as terrific as I think he will be, and if Aaron Ross can play cover corner in the NFL, and if Diehl can play LT successfully, and if the Giants have a solution at running back (whether Jacobs or a draft pick or free agent pickup), and if Gerris Wilkinson plays to his physical potential, then the Giants should be a very good team in the 2008-2009 season and thereafter. I hope Michael sticks around for it if he can play at a high level. But to be honest, if I were the GM I would trade him now to a contender in need of a top defensive end for a few draft choices. This won't be the Giants' year, and Strahan will be about finished by the time it is.

Posted at 8:34PM on Jul 10th 2007 by fanfor55years

12. Most seem to forget there was no NFC East team head and shoulders above the rest of the division.

Eli, the division is still up for grabs!!

Posted at 10:05PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Daniel Trillo

13. So far to date, I would have to say that Eli is ahead of Michael as far as maturity goes. Michael would be better served leading by example off the field, which

he has been far from, and shutting his mouth and sacking the quarterback. That's maturity...maybe Eli would pick up on that?

Posted at 11:05PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Mike Nickerson

14. Strahan does not show up in big games(must be a Eagles fan). What a moronic statement for the longest time he would be double teamed by two linemine sometime the fullback would in essense make it a triple team. Now the Giants have many more defensive bull rushers. True its now or never for Eli. This is the time when the elite QB's step up and bring it not just sing it!!!!.

Posted at 11:35PM on Jul 10th 2007 by Randy

15. Hey Rob go back to Philly. Strahan just being there pressures a QB in big game situations. I don't know what you are man, but a Giant fan ain't one of them. If you are a jint fan. your a disgrace to us.

Posted at 12:33AM on Jul 11th 2007 by 89

16. To all you JOKE'S out there reading this, lets get a few things straight here.......

IT IS BOTH THE OFFENSE AND DEFENSE FOR THE REASON THE GIANTS SUCK THE WAY THEY DO. In the division they are in, it is not easy to play the Eagles, Redskins, and the Cowboys, but you here are the facts......

If you are Strahan and you are getting double and tripled team = GUESS WHAT??? THERE IS ONLY 5 OFFENSIVE LINEMEN BLOCKING THEM SO THE OTHER D-LINEMEN ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS!! Osi and Michael can't do it all, their defense needs to step up. Last I checked, 11 guys play on defense.

As for Eli, you guys need to get over this Eli Manning thing. People made hype out of his dad for no reason, HE WAS A LOSER AND NEVER MADE THE PLAYOFFS. The only talent in the family is Peyton Manning. Eli sucked in college and gave a sorry college program a better record than they had before.

Get off of his nuts, YES HE DOES NEED TO STEP IT UP BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT..... His 4th year? 5th year? Look at Philip Rivers?? Same year, ugly trade but look what happened? People thought Drew Brees would leave and Philip would bust but he came through! ELI NEEDS TO MATURE, THEIR DEFENSE NEEDS TO MATURE, and maybe you guys can call yourself the G-men again. Right now your the J-men for JOKERS!!Posted at 12:55AM on Jul 11th 2007 by TommyG

17. I love the way John Runyon makes Strahan look like a little boy!Posted at 5:45AM on Jul 11th 2007 by Uripides

18. its easy to blame eli for a majority of the problems on offense but really ,have you been watching the games??? the offensive line has been dreadful. half the time ,after 3 or 4 false starts the team starts off 1st or second and 15 20 or more.that changes the whole scheme.i bet they dont practice that scenerio !!. much plus pass blocking has been poor at best. as far as michael, he has been a big time impact on d and deserves to run his mouth(he backs it up on the field)

Posted at 6:34AM on Jul 11th 2007 by john

19. Micheal is absolutely correct.There are more than a few problems with Eli unfortuneately but chief amoungst them is the fact that he does not look like the leader of the ballclub and from his body language it tells me he gives up very easily when things don't go his way.And that is before he gets on the field.

Don't ever critisize Strahan. For years he has given his all to this ballclub and mostly with very little help.Other than Uminyura for the one year and for parts of the past 2 seasons with Pierce he practically carried that defence on his back. without him the Giants lacked defensive intimidation

or superiority.they were just very ordinary.

Posted at 7:59AM on Jul 11th 2007 by ed m

20. Look at Eli's stats before Toomer went down and then after-- Tough to be productive without a third reciever. Look also at his stats when Luke went down-remember the comebacks, first game at Philly, 2nd Dallas game(defense blew it after offense took lead),playoff game against Philly(same comment as 2nd Dallas game)- there were plenty of GREAT moments, as well as horrible decisions. That is all part of growing up in the NFL.- I am looking for a big year from Eli and if Strahan can lead the defense, it should be a good year coming up.

Manning looked like he was about to piss himself in the playoff game at Philly last year. As much of a d-bag that Shockey probably is, he was the only player that looked like he cared whether the Giants won or lost. Manning has plenty of ability but you can't make it in the NFL with that lack of confidence.

Despite being an amazing DE and probable HOFer, Strahan has not been a beacon of maturity. In fact, after every interview I've seen of the guy I come away thinking two things:

1. Strahan is probably gay.(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

2. He often acts like a child on camera.

It could be argued that HIS lack of maturity is what is hampering the growth of the team.

Despite being an amazing DE and probable HOFer' date=' Strahan has not been a beacon of maturity. In fact, after every interview I've seen of the guy I come away thinking two things:

1. Strahan is probably gay.(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

2. He often acts like a child on camera.

It could be argued that HIS lack of maturity is what is hampering the growth of the team.[/quote']

How does being gay have anything to do with maturity? :whoknows:

Sounds like Strahan will retire or he knows he'll be a salary cap cut after the season. I was watching the Skins-Giants replay on NFL network and Petitgout was out and Deihl was in his place. It wasn't pretty. He was good run blocking, but had all kinds of problems pass blocking.

Sounds like Strahan will retire or he knows he'll be a salary cap cut after the season.
I agree, I don't see him a Giant. I think this is it for him. Dudes old!
I was watching the Skins-Giants replay on NFL network and Petitgout was out and Deihl was in his place. It wasn't pretty. He was good run blocking, but had all kinds of problems pass blocking.
:shhh: Shh you can't talk that way, Giant fans will hear you. They are sold on Deihl to protect Eli!:laugh:

Sounds like Strahan will retire or he knows he'll be a salary cap cut after the season. I was watching the Skins-Giants replay on NFL network and Petitgout was out and Deihl was in his place. It wasn't pretty. He was good run blocking, but had all kinds of problems pass blocking.

Yeah, when he wasn't holding his ass off...he had a kung-fu grip on Andre Carter throughout most of the game at the end of the season. And it was sooo obvious and there were no calls. Absolutely ludicrous.

F the Giants...

RT

deihl cant block average defensive ends like carter, so giants fans start buying tissues cus your going to be crying watching deihl block. i dont really follow the giants but i know that tiki accounted for about 50% of the offense, both rushing and recieving. so i think if plaxico burress and sinorice moss and amani toomer dont step up and play well, they will get more abuse than eli. brandon jacobs is a good 3rd down back but hes not a work horse. btw not too long ago i heard their offensive coordinator said brandon jacobs was quicker than tiki barber. :doh:

They say Eli (Manning) is going to mature. Well, I need him to mature now.
Can't you just see him whinning this with his lisp while jumping up and down in a hissy!:laugh:
The thing about this season is that the sense of urgency is greater than it has ever been."

Another words, "this is my last season and it's all on Eli's head. I don't want to end like Tiki".
Quite a few players have been singling Manning out this offseason, calling for him to finally break out.
They're all getting tired. I'd be calling for something also!
it's clear that he's not going to get that five-year window most young quarterbacks get.

He cost more than the others!
It has become apparent that it's now or never for Manning, as well as Strahan.
As well as Coughlin, as well as Gilbride etc...

brandon jacobs is a good 3rd down back but hes not a work horse. btw not too long ago i heard their offensive coordinator said brandon jacobs was quicker than tiki barber. :doh:

Let's see what it does before you write him off. I'm sure 180-200 DBs and 240 LBs will love bringing the 256 pound Brandon Jacobs down 15 times a game and a 220 pound Reuben Doughns down a few more times.

And Jacobs is faster than Barber. Barber probably had better quickness and agility but I believe Jacobs is faster. Barber didn't get yards from speed - he got it from reading the blockers very well, breaking tacklers and making nice cuts backs. He wasn't a "I'm going to outrun you" kind of back.

The Giants had internal problems the last couple of years according to the media. They had a lot of injuries both seasons. And you know what? They made the playoffs both years despite all of that. These kinds of things just mean it will be another playoff year for the Giants. Now, whether or not they can win a playoff game is another story.

']The Giants had internal problems the last couple of years according to the media. They had a lot of injuries both seasons. And you know what? They made the playoffs both years despite all of that. These kinds of things just mean it will be another playoff year for the Giants. Now' date=' whether or not they can win a playoff game is another story.[/quote']

I think that depends on the rest of the NFCE. The Giants will be about the same minus Tiki as they have the last couple of years. I don't see really any improvement over last year. Eli just isn't the answer.

The question about them making the playoffs is simply how good the other teams are. If the skins play well and Philly plays well it will be hard for the Giants to get in. The skins were bad last year and the pukes didn't light it up that much better. The pukes are an unknown, but if they take one game from the Giants I think they will struggle.

Edit: To be specific, I see the Giants fighting for the bottom two slots.

I can understand Stray being upset. He is a great player and wants a ring, hard to blame him.

It's gotta be tough for Eli. The way he came in, his brother being so damn good, NJ Giants. Thats a lot of pressure. Not to mention the defenses he has to face in the east are very agressive.

Coach Craplin needs to get a hold of his players. He didn't have so much discontent when the Jags were playing well.

Archived