Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign CB Butler.

Art

I'm just curious what we gave or said to this guy that made him sign with us. I'm sure he still thinks he is a capable starter or at least a nickle back. Looking at our depth at DB one could suggest there is a chance he never sees the field. 1-3 are pretty much a lock and he will be competing with Macklin for #4. If no one gets hurt and Macklin beats him out for 4 then he'll hardly get any PT. I would think he would wanna go somewhere he knew he would get some good PT. Makes me wonder the coaches said to get him here. Surely he can't just be another huge Redskins fan.

You still don't understand the point, and you are exhausting a lot of energy making an ass out of yourself attacking me when we made essentially the same point.

Art, you said that there couldn't be any negative spin from this. I said that the only negative spin would be that there are greater needs, but I immediately countered that by saying that there probably isn't anyone available that could help us on the defensive line.

That's when you went into PMS mode and began your usual personal attacks. You seriously need to get control over yourself.

Let me try again.

Whether YOU were speaking the negative spin, or suggesting what the negative spin would/could be, the fact is, YOU acknowledged it doesn't exist because of the lack of people to make the spin negative, though, you agree, there's no negative spin possible. Caught up?

Let me try again.

Whether YOU were speaking the negative spin, or suggesting what the negative spin would/could be, the fact is, YOU acknowledged it doesn't exist because of the lack of people to make the spin negative, though, you agree, there's no negative spin possible. Caught up?

my head hurts :twitch:

Let me try again.

I think it's you who's catching up. Because this is exactly what I was implying in my post when I said that there probably isn't anyone out there who's available that could help out defensive line.

Understand yet?

If so, drop it.

Let me try again.

Are you guys brothers? :laugh:

These guys aren't anywhere close to being starting CBs. If I were to grade these guys, I would grade them thus:

Springs A-

Smooth B

Rogers B-

Macklin C-

Butler D+

Jimoh D+ (B+ in ST)

Bringing in Macklin and Butler doesn't effect 1-3 at all. This is more churning the bottom of the depth chart.

I don't believe that is churning at the bottom, but it certainly makes it intriguing being that both Butler and Macklin have started in this league. I am not sure of the average start approximation between the two, but they do have experience starting. I think you can this signing a bit meaningful than when the team foolishly signed Mike (can't get over the hump) Rumph last season.

This would be a good point save for the fact Macklin and Butler are starting level as evidenced by, well, starting. Butler, of course, still attempting to re-establish himself. They are not the players who make us a GOOD defense if they are both our starters, but, they are the sort who are better than anyone else's No. 4 and No. 5 corners. You can't spin this as bad if that's what just happened.

Thank you for supporting my point!

Again with your poor reading comprehension skills. I said the negative spin would be that there are other areas of need and that this position has been addressed to the point of overkill. I would like to see the defensive line addressed but there probably isn't anyone available.

You can get off your period at any time now, Art.

Not a nice way to attack a moderator who has the ability to terminate your privilege on this page. Not saying Art is that kind of person, but he certainly holds his finger on that key! :D

What always strikes me as odd about the Skins is not that they sign a lot of vets for training camp (which I understand if philosophically disagree with) but that they attempt to create competition by signing redundant players.

What do you suggest?

They only signed him to a one year, $595,000 contract. Not bad at all.

Exactly, so why is there any debate as to why this is a bad signing? We released DB Chip Cox and replaced him with Butler. So it's not as if he's taking up another roster spot. Where is the "bad spin" to this?

This is weird for me as I'm usually on the other side of the good move/bad move argument, but there really isn't a logical way to spin this signing negatively.

First, as I said before and others are saying, you cannot have enough CBs. CBs also make very good STers and provide great depth for training camp. Not to mention the number of teams today using 3, 4, 5 WR sets.

Second, in case you haven't figured it out yet, the Redskins don't believe they have a need on the defensive line. If the draft and rest of the offseason hasn't convinced you, I guess it's a lost cause. You might think we have a need on the DL, but the Skins clearly don't.

Third, I think Butler is a little better than people might be giving him credit. I also think Smoot is a good two CB. If Rogers can step it up this year (I know that's a big IF, but it is his third year), then we will be set at CB with depth to spare.

Fourth, there aren't a lot of quality guys out there to sign right now. It's not like we're passing over better players where we have critical needs.

Of all the positions on the defense, I'd rather stack 'em up at CB than any other position.

Hail,

H

Not a nice way to attack a moderator who has the ability to terminate your privilege on this page. Not saying Art is that kind of person, but he certainly holds his finger on that key! :D

I don't think Art is the type of person that would use his moderation powers inappropriately. And I treat people the way that they treat me as a general rule. I was attacked here, but I'm not going to back down from someone trying to bully me when they are wrong, just because they have the power to ban me. If I honestly thought that Art would do that, I wouldn't post here at all anyway.

I like this move. We have a lot of depth at the CB postition, and you have got to figure that at least one person will get injuried (Springs seems to be the most likely canditate for this to happen to), however; this year we have the horses to keep on keeping on.

Carlos "No D" Rogers better be worried about getting playing time now. He might end up being the #5 CB by the time the season starts if everyone stays healthy through training camp.

Exactly, so why is there any debate as to why this is a bad signing? We released DB Chip Cox and replaced him with Butler. So it's not as if he's taking up another roster spot. Where is the "bad spin" to this?

Cause people here just want to fret and worry over every little thing. :rolleyes: :laugh:

To me, this signing means the Redskins are still smarting from all the problems the injuries and poor play from back-ups caused in the secondary (and subsequently the entire 'D') last year. Now, they are just kind of.............. overcompensating. :)

What it does NOT mean to me is the imminent release of Springs. If they were going to let Springs go, they would've done it already.

Sorry but this guy is way too marginal for the move to signal anything about Springs. If Springs was going to be released or traded, it would have been done by now. Its not like we just traded for Dre Bly here.

If you recall, the skins wanted to add this guy back in 2004 and acutally signed him to an offer sheet. The Rams matched it.

Bottom line - the Skins like the guy and just want to create a little more competition. I also think Greg Williams has decided that he will never, ever be caught short-handed at the CB position again. That could very well hurt us on special teams if it means Jimoh doesn't make the squad but it probably strengthens us defensively.

you would think that would be obvious, but the negitive nancies perservere.

Art, you said that there couldn't be any negative spin from this. I said that the only negative spin would be that there are greater needs, but I immediately countered that by saying that there probably isn't anyone available that could help us on the defensive line.

You really think signing a player to a one year contract at $595K is going to stop us from signing a D-lineman if one that peaks our interest becomes available? That is truly a reach to find something negative to say.

You really think signing a player to a one year contract at $595K is going to stop us from signing a D-lineman if one that peaks our interest becomes available? That is truly a reach to find something negative to say.

You'd be surprised the stupid things people say around here just to find something to complain about.

Signing a former starting CB for $600k... ? I can't find anything negative about it at all, especially in June.

Man, I think this is a great signing: exactly the kind of reasonably-priced, seasoned player many of us have wanted as depth. The secondary just got better, again.

Haven't read through the whole thread yet, so this may have been mentioned a bunch, but Coach said whenever you can get a decent corner you do so. Particularly in Grilliams' scheme, there are too many consequences elsewhere in the defense (*coug* DL *cough*) if there's a significant dropoff in corners. Healthy corners and solid depth = DL looking a lot better.

Kudos, front office.

I don't believe Springs is going to leave the team anytime soon. I understand the signing of Butler because of worst case scenario insurance. Springs has injury concerns every year, Rogers has missed a couple games both seasons he's played, and Smoot likes to hit, but also gets injured. Last season, we had Wright and Rumph starting in one game because of injuries. So what if Springs goes down before the season starts, and Smoot and Rogers both sit out a few games due to injuries? Well now you have Macklin and Butler.

Archived