Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign CB Butler.

Art

I believe this move actually puts Laron on the bench for the first few games of the season as Springs will move over to safety(if he is still here). Our CB depth is ridiculous, however our safety depth is questionable, I suspect this is a move to create safety depth more so than cb depth.

Quantity is not quality.

I really don't understand this signing. Springs, Smoot and Rogers are locked in as our 1-3 CBs, and if Springs stays for this season, then we are doing well there. Macklin is not nearly as good as our fans are hyping him to be. He is spare at best. Nothing more than a #4 CB.

Butler was a nice player before his injury, but he has only played in 6 games in the last two years. I doubt he has much left in his tank. When CBs lose a step, they are in deep trouble. Butler is no better than Jimoh at this point, and Jimoh is a very good special teamer.

If we keep only 5 CBs, and I think we will, then I don't see him making the team. But at least he will push some people.

My concern here is that this move is a signal vis-a-vis Springs. If this is a sign that we don't expect Springs to be here, then we are in deep trouble.

1 CB - Springs

2 CB - Rogers

Nick CB - Smoot

That's a good CB set up. If we want another DB in a dime package or when the other team goes 4-5 wide, I'd probably go with Stoutmire or PP over Macklin, Butler or Jimoh.

But if Springs leaves, neither Macklin or Butler or both matters.

CB 1 - Smoot

CB 2 - Rogers

Slot CB - Macklin

That is NOT a good CB setup.

Springs

Rogers

Smoot

Macklin

Westbrook

Butler

I think GW wants to do some SERIOUS blitzing this year.

Reminiscing as to how this defense blized back in 2004, we may be seeing a pattern this year of this reinforcement. I certainly think that each of these DBs will be a push for one another. Let's just say "The number 1 and 2 spot is up for grab!"

Worries me.

Possibilities:

1. Springs is leaving.

2. Springs isn't fully recovered.

3. Rogers actually does suck.

4. Smoot's problems in Minnesota were Smoot problems not Viking problems.

5. Coverage from the safeties isn't as good as we hoped.

6. Landry and Taylor are going to line up in the box on a regular basis.

7. He was cheap and will at least make the defense earn their jobs.

I hope it's only 6 and 7.

I believe you are right on the money with number 6 and number 7.

I concur with those who state that Springs is not going anywhere but this move is insurance against injuries and it affords the Skins to blitz in all of their packages.

It seems as if the defense is stocking up on DBs to reinforce the lack of another DE.

This is not a bad idea either because know the confusion and complexity that GW likes to interject in his defenses. What would worry you more? A blitzing DB coming from the middle/ angle or Andre Carter taking on a single tackle.

Were you being sarcastic?

I do not think he was being sarcastic but rather playing devil's advocate to those who believe we do not stand a chance against The Patriots this season.

Another DB? Man, are we going to get a lot of sacks or what?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Now that is being sarcastic!

:helmet:

Reminiscing as to how this defense blized back in 2004, we may be seeing a pattern this year of this reinforcement. I certainly think that each of these DBs will be a push for one another. Let's just say "The number 1 and 2 spot is up for grab!"

These guys aren't anywhere close to being starting CBs. If I were to grade these guys, I would grade them thus:

Springs A-

Smooth B

Rogers B-

Macklin C-

Butler D+

Jimoh D+ (B+ in ST)

Bringing in Macklin and Butler doesn't effect 1-3 at all. This is more churning the bottom of the depth chart.

now that we have 18 db's maybe we can grab a DL sometime soon? I mean are our coaches really that sold on our current D-line?

Our line has 9 players who've started for us already on the roster. There already is depth here. What there isn't is the comfort in having more than one guy (Griffin) who is a top player at his position.

Of course, the Skins are just a Shawn Springs injury away from this being hailed as a great move.

Don't forget that Springs is probably a goner after the '07 season, anyway. Gives an extra year for some of these "depth" guys to get some more familiarity with the Defense.

I really don't understand this signing. Springs, Smoot and Rogers are locked in as our 1-3 CBs, and if Springs stays for this season, then we are doing well there.

Then what happens next year... ? There's a 1000% chance Springs won't be here in the '08-'09 season.

I understand this move now. Have you guys seen the schedule

Phins = PASS HAPPY (will be)

Eagles = PASS HAPPY

Giants = PASS HAPPY

Lions = CALVIN JOHNSON

Packers = PASS HAPPY

Cardinals = PASS HAPPY

Patriots = NO NEED TO COMMENT

Jets = CAN BE PASS HAPPY

And these are just the first 8 games. I think we need about 3 more DBs!!!!

These guys aren't anywhere close to being starting CBs. If I were to grade these guys, I would grade them thus:

Springs A-

Smooth B

Rogers B-

Macklin C-

Butler D+

Jimoh D+ (B+ in ST)

Bringing in Macklin and Butler doesn't effect 1-3 at all. This is more churning the bottom of the depth chart.

This would be a good point save for the fact Macklin and Butler are starting level as evidenced by, well, starting. Butler, of course, still attempting to re-establish himself. They are not the players who make us a GOOD defense if they are both our starters, but, they are the sort who are better than anyone else's No. 4 and No. 5 corners. You can't spin this as bad if that's what just happened.

This would be a good point save for the fact Macklin and Butler are starting level as evidenced by, well, starting. Butler, of course, still attempting to re-establish himself. They are not the players who make us a GOOD defense if they are both our starters, but, they are the sort who are better than anyone else's No. 4 and No. 5 corners. You can't spin this as bad if that's what just happened.

If Springs leaves, it will be... and that's what worries me.

I think this is a very strange move. A bit of overkill at the corner position considering we already signed Smoot and Macklin.

Only way it makes sense is if Springs is leaving.

After all the problems we had last year I don't think this is overkill at all. Our secondary was actually AWFUL in quite a few games this year. And what if Springs goes down again, or Smoot? You want John Eubanks to be our last resort at corner again? No thanks, I like this signing.

Quantity is not quality.

I really don't understand this signing. Springs, Smoot and Rogers are locked in as our 1-3 CBs, and if Springs stays for this season, then we are doing well there. Macklin is not nearly as good as our fans are hyping him to be. He is spare at best. Nothing more than a #4 CB.

What happens if, and I know this is crazy, Springs gets hurt. Do you want the better of Macklin or Butler to take that 3rd spot, or are you just content to hand it to Macklin?

Butler was a nice player before his injury, but he has only played in 6 games in the last two years. I doubt he has much left in his tank. When CBs lose a step, they are in deep trouble.

But also see Walt Harris who this same staff had a similar crush on and signed him regardless of his knee troubles.

I honestly don't see the big deal with this signing. Depth is depth, and if we have someone go down in training camp or early in the season we will be thankful we have it.

I saw the grades above but I don't know enough about Butler to say where he ranks. I guess if he was real good I'm not sure why he would still be a FA with the dearth of quality corners in the league. Then again, we went hard after him a 2-3 (4??) years ago so maybe we see something nobody else does.

proabably more concerns if we have injuries again such as rogers wrist, springs anything.

this is what i'm thinking about as well. I remember when Springs was injured and Rogers was nicked up at the sametime; we were forced to start Rumph and Wright along with Jimoh at the nickle. I think they just want to play their cards alittle better this time around.

If Springs leaves and we didn't address the depth issue, then that would be worrisome. I don't see anything negative in this signing. If this does lead to the Redskins getting rid of Springs, then it must be for a reason, health or otherwise.

If we keep Springs, all the better. But if we lost Springs and did nothing, that would be trouble.

I'm not one who thinks all the Redskins moves are great, but I do like this one.

Hail,

H

I guess if he was real good I'm not sure why he would still be a FA with the dearth of quality corners in the league. Then again, we went hard after him a 2-3 (4??) years ago so maybe we see something nobody else does.
He was just released by the Rams yesterday.

Macklin and Butler at No. 3 and No. 4 is acceptable, but then we'd probably have more worries about No. 1 and No. 2.

The bad spin is that we have needs elsewhere that could be addressed, rather than spending more money and roster spots to have the best #4 or #5 corners in the league, it would be nice to see those other needs addressed.

Of course, that all depends on the players that are available and there probably isn't much out there on the defensive line at this point.

The bad spin is that we have needs elsewhere that could be addressed, rather than spending more money and roster spots to have the best #4 or #5 corners in the league, it would be nice to see those other needs addressed.

Of course, that all depends on the players that are available and there probably isn't much out there on the defensive line at this point.

Who could have addressed what needs elsewhere right now?

As you have no answer, say sorry for being a tool.

Who could have addressed what needs elsewhere right now?

As you have no answer, say sorry for being a tool.

I think you should apologize for not reading and understanding my point. Because I addressed this in my post when I said that there probably isn't anyone out there right now that could help the defensive line.

So, get off my nuts.

Archived