Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign CB Butler.

Art

Thanks for the post, ramsrams. I hope to hear from you in the future with insider knowledge of ex-ram players/current skins as you seem well informed and intelligent.

One little thing, I hope you don't take offense with...the proper spelling is d-e-f-e-n-s-e...not defence. (I looked back and read all your posts regarding AA, London, and now Butler, and noticed that mistake each time.) It just comes across a little odd since your posts seem pretty intelligent.

I did a little blurb when you guys signed AA as well.

It turned out to be quite accurate.

scary accurate

Thanks for the thumbnail on Butler - let's hope you're right that he turns out better. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good.

Thanks for the post, ramsrams. I hope to hear from you in the future with insider knowledge of ex-ram players/current skins as you seem well informed and intelligent.

One little thing, I hope you don't take offense with...the proper spelling is d-e-f-e-n-s-e...not defence. (I looked back and read all your posts regarding AA, London, and now Butler, and noticed that mistake each time.) It just comes across a little odd since your posts seem pretty intelligent.

Defence is an accepted spelling. In fact, in Great Britain and Canada (and probably Australia and New Zealand) it is the spelling of choice.

Edit: Just noticed that ramsrams is Canadian so his spelling is spot on.

I believe the Skins tried to get him a few years ago, but he chose to sign with the Rams instead.

He didn't choose to end up with teh Rams. He was restricted, and the Rams matched our offer.

If you remember, that was back when we signed both Laverneous Coles and Chad Morton away from the Jets, both of whom caused us to pay compensation to the Jets. We seemed to have a RFA Craving back then.

I couldn't help but think that. Butler is definitely not shabby and like you mentioned, our depth chart is full of players that have started in this league before.

The Butler signing definitely makes it look like higher ups in the Redskins orginization are thinking that Springs is not where they want him health wise or that he may be leaving via trade or whatever else.

I'm agreeing with you about Springs being wrapped in a trade package. I would love to have 'Blue' with us this year, but at 7 mil worth of cap space? My guess is Carolina wants Springs and our #4 or 5 pick for DT Kris Jenkins. I don't think Gibbs was willing to give up a #2 and a #6. And I think Carolina sees Springs as a two-year solution to their cornerback situation. Butler is a serious #1 or #2 CB. Butler will not be as good in run support, but, my thoughts are that GW is thinking with better SS and LB play, a 'force corner' is not that much of a priority. They want a pro-bowl caliber DT like Jenkins!

No offense taken.

If you look at my location, you'll notice I'm from Canada. There are some differences in how Americans spell words, and how the rest of the English speaking world does. One example is "defence". Look in any reputable dictionary and you will see that it is quite acceptable, and in fact only Americans spell it "defense". Another example is "centre" vs. "center". There are many more.

This was brought up many times when I first started participating on U.S. based message boards years ago. In fact, I used to spell it "defenCe" in my posts just to make it stand out!

Anyway, thanks for the props.

Defence is an accepted spelling. In fact, in Great Britain and Canada (and probably Australia and New Zealand) it is the spelling of choice.

Very nice observation.

I just read ramsrams' comments from last year on AA, and wow! I want to hate you ramsrams becuase I feel like u should have told someone at Redskins Park that info. There was not a thing you said about how he played in STL that differed from his play here, except maybe that it was worse. Again, it pains me to think about this...

Very nice observation.

I just read ramsrams' comments from last year on AA, and wow! I want to hate you ramsrams becuase I feel like u should have told someone at Redskins Park that info. There was not a thing you said about how he played in STL that differed from his play here, except maybe that it was worse. Again, it pains me to think about this...

I found it amusing how many people were like "yeah...just wait til GW gets his hands on him." or "Youre a nobody Rams fan...why should I listen to you?".

I found it amusing how many people were like "yeah...just wait til GW gets his hands on him." or "Youre a nobody Rams fan...why should I listen to you?".

This was definitely the best part. He was pretty much spot on, prescient, and called it before the fact. And we let him have it frequently approaching personal attacks.

There is plenty of crow to go around.

Good call Mate, I mean Ouvan.

Although in their defense generally when a team loses a player their fans try to minimize the loss with rationalization. Antonio Pierce was a system linebacker to many here when he signed with the Giants. We were told by many Jets fans that Santana Moss was terrible and they were raping us in the Coles trade. We didn't know ramsrams from Adam (pun intended) so his comments had to be taken with a grain of salt. He's obviously earned some respect now so his comments about Butler will gain some credibility. Unless of course Jerametrius Butler turns into the only true shutdown corner in the league in which case he'll go back to just being a hater. ;)

Look in any reputable dictionary and you will see that it is quite acceptable, and in fact only Americans spell it "defense". Another example is "centre" vs. "center". There are many more.

Just curious, in what country do they call it "Paloffs"?

Not when people show so little capacity to stop being stupid.

Funny, because I made the same point you did. Yet you want to focus on what I said about the defensive line, which was basically in passing.

There's a lot of stupidity floating around, but it's not on my end.

But please do keep the insults coming.

I think this is a very strange move. A bit of overkill at the corner position considering we already signed Smoot and Macklin.

Only way it makes sense is if Springs is leaving.

Every year, since Gibb's has been back we have had quality depth issues at CB. And every year we have lost games due in a very strong part to sub par corner play by back-ups. I think for the first time in years we have a solid starter 5 deep on the depth chart (Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Macklin, Butler). I think this is a great move while I will concede that Macklin and Butler are not # 1 corners I do feel they a good # 2's and very good Nickle Backs. I think Jimoh should worry because he is a major liability in coverage. I think Westbrook is headed straight for the practice squad. I don't think this has anything to do with Springs other than his health issues.

If he's anything like the player he was prior to his injury, and he's got his head on straight, he should help your team this year.

Thanks for the insight from the other side of the fence. Always good to get a post from the former team of a player we just got. :)

Bottom line...we sucked last year to the point that we "earned" the 6th overall pick in the draft...we need good players in general, regardless of position. I agree with the signing, if anything else he gives the young guys one more vet to learn from in TC. Then if isn't up to par, we thank him for his insight and send him on his way.

Everyone is saying DL,DL,DL...the fact of the matter is that when our D was top 5, we didn't have a good pass rush at all, we got coverage sacks and stopped the run...that's how GWill rolls...hopefully Golston or big Joe will shore up that run and we will be ok.

Archived