Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign CB Butler.

Art

You'd be surprised the stupid things people say around here just to find something to complain about.

Signing a former starting CB for $600k... ? I can't find anything negative about it at all, especially in June.

Exactly.

If he plays well, the Redskins have GREAT depth in the secondary this season.

If it turns out he doesn't play well (say like the knee injury he suffered in '05 has reduced his effectivness), then the Redskins can cut him, and it won't cost much of anything against the cap.

So it is a win-win move for Washington

For anyone to attack this move means they are just reaching for any lame excuses to attack "the worst front office in the history of football". :laugh:

You really think signing a player to a one year contract at $595K is going to stop us from signing a D-lineman if one that peaks our interest becomes available? That is truly a reach to find something negative to say.

I said what I said before there was any kind of announcement over the contract he signed.

It's also stupid how people fly off the handle for no reason.

Nah, there's a reason. When people exist only to find something to complain about, it requires people at greater levels of stability to help them correct their flaws. Most people say thank you in such instances.

Raumph and Wright started a few games last year, the Macklin, Butler, and Smoot are just here to make sure we never have that problem again.

The injury bug that all of our CB's seem to get hit with every year should not be an issue or fear now.

That contract isn't too bad really. Most likely, we've just seen a chance to look at a guy who used to be a good player, to see if he still has anything left.

Still, a little over half a million isn't nothing. We don't have a whole lot of room left to be playing with. I hope if a decent DL comes available, we can make room to get him.

I do think they know what they're doing though.

Nah, there's a reason. When people exist only to find something to complain about, it requires people at greater levels of stability to help them correct their flaws. Most people say thank you in such instances.

You see what you want to see I suppose.

Don't you get tired of telling people how stupid they are? :D

istockphoto_808455_broken_record_with_blank_label.jpg

This is weird for me as I'm usually on the other side of the good move/bad move argument, but there really isn't a logical way to spin this signing negatively.

First, as I said before and others are saying, you cannot have enough CBs. CBs also make very good STers and provide great depth for training camp. Not to mention the number of teams today using 3, 4, 5 WR sets.

Second, in case you haven't figured it out yet, the Redskins don't believe they have a need on the defensive line. If the draft and rest of the offseason hasn't convinced you, I guess it's a lost cause. You might think we have a need on the DL, but the Skins clearly don't.

Third, I think Butler is a little better than people might be giving him credit. I also think Smoot is a good two CB. If Rogers can step it up this year (I know that's a big IF, but it is his third year), then we will be set at CB with depth to spare.

Fourth, there aren't a lot of quality guys out there to sign right now. It's not like we're passing over better players where we have critical needs.

Of all the positions on the defense, I'd rather stack 'em up at CB than any other position.

Hail,

H

Further, you have 2 standard corners spots, and on average, most spots will be 3-5 guys deep at training camp. These should be the best handful you can sign, and 8-10 corners (this is around how many we have signed) is about right going into TC.

Geez guys I only stated this months ago. It's part of the new-look Williams defense. it's called a 3-8.

DL

LB LB

DB DB DB DB

DB DB DB DB

That would be a 1-2...lol. Great post, but all joking aside...

This signing is brilliant. #1, it is not major since we are only talking about #4 thru #6 in depth. It is consistant with the FO moves not being our previous year mistakes of overspending. It creates additional competition, which is only a positive. As much as I like Springs, he is all of a sudden very injury proned. So with SS as our strongest CB, we need to protect ourselves. CB's are difficult to come by in this league, also.

Personally, I felt our biggest weakness last year was with our secondary, and then with our LB's, and finally with our D-Line. I am a realist, so I believe the FO moves have been very logical. Having to deal with a salary cap, there is only so much that can be done. With Rogers, injury-prone Springs, and Wright, we needed to fix this big time. Smoot, Macklin, and Butler sure helps a lot. With Washington, Holdman, and Marshall needed some fixing. In comes London and hopefully McIntosh. Our D-Line isn't strong, but it is sufficient. With plenty of 1 round busts, no overly strong D-Lineman in the draft at #6, and other glaring weaknesses, we are going with the unit we have. (Again, there is only so much money to spend with a salary cap.)

Football conisists of offense, defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS. Gibbs is huge on special teams, and we look strong in that area for sure. Besides, the further we strenthen our team with depth, the more options we have with injuries and potential trades.

It's a decent signing for you guys.

If it turns out he can't play, he can be cut in preseason with no cap implications.

It's a bit of a mystery with what happened to Butler. He appears to be a "high maintenance" player. He's been in the coach's doghouse twice in his career, first under Martz, then under Linehan/Haslett. Although he states to the contrary, he seems to have an aversion to special teams, and when you aren't a starter, that's not good. When injuries hit the Rams DB's last year, and Travis Fisher was stinking up the joint, the Rams didn't dress him until they had no choice. He dressed for six games, starting none. He made a huge fumble recovery in the dying minutes of the MNF game against the Pack. That was about it for the year.

Prior to his freak knee injury, he was a decent Cover 2 CB who displayed above average ball skills. He wasn't torched that often. He's never been the most willing tackler, but overall he was a solid player.

Butler missed all the OTA's this year in a bid to get cut, and it succeeded. He was due a $2 million base salary this year, which is a bit steep for a #4 CB.

If he's anything like the player he was prior to his injury, and he's got his head on straight, he should help your team this year.

Archived