Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign CB Butler.

Art

didn't they try to get him as a restricted, but St. Louis matched it? I'd like to see somebody tell us that we are not loaded with depth at the CB position now. How many DB's can we possibly carry though?

Springs

Rogers

Smoot

Macklin

Westbrook

Butler

Eubanks - i think he doesn't quite make the team with the guys in front of him

Taylor

Landry

Stoutmire

Prioleau

Doughty

Fox

I know we arent going to carry 13 DB's, how many usually are kept on the final roster?

C'mon man! How can you forget about Ade Jimoh?!?

edit...oops looks like others have already pointed that out to ya...sorry, bud ;)

Seems strange to me that people find it strange that the Redskins are looking to stockpile CBs... The achilles heel of this defenCe (NZ represent) has always been a lack of depth at CB, even in the good years we've had to adjust our style of D to make up for poor CB play after starters go down.

Butler and Macklin are there so that in those couple of games where our starters are hurting we stand a better chance of continuing to play that aggressive D that utilises our strengths properly. Otherwise we get another switch to drop back D that relies on our D-line getting pressure on the QB... The Dline can't perform this job effectively its a win the line of scrimmage set-up...

And carrying 6 CBs isn't unusual, check out the Pats approach, another team that always has injury problems in the secondary but (generally) has the depth to at least survive while maintaining their preferred stlye of D.

Good move.

Sorry but this guy is way too marginal for the move to signal anything about Springs. If Springs was going to be released or traded, it would have been done by now. Its not like we just traded for Dre Bly here.

If you recall, the skins wanted to add this guy back in 2004 and acutally signed him to an offer sheet. The Rams matched it.

Bottom line - the Skins like the guy and just want to create a little more competition. I also think Greg Williams has decided that he will never, ever be caught short-handed at the CB position again. That could very well hurt us on special teams if it means Jimoh doesn't make the squad but it probably strengthens us defensively.

I think you are right on, especially the part about Williams' desire to NEVER be caught short-handed at CB again. :applause:

I think that is why the D fell apart last season and I suspect Williams feels the same way.

I like this signing since it was for a guy that the Skins were willing to pay A LOT more for back in '04 and now they have him for vet minimum. Even Adam Schefter from NFL Network praised the frugal nature of this signing.

This guy won't sniff the field in nickel or dime, and he'll be lucky to get on in a quarter package. Maybe we are getting him for our new "half-dollar" scheme.

Don't be so sure. It could be Carlos "No D" Rogers that is wanting for playing time.

Guess we won't ever have Ade Jimoh start another game.

As a DB I'm fine with that. But he will see plenty of time on speacial teams.

What if Springs and Rogers actually stay healthy all season and the rest of the guys are relagated to being merely situational pieces that get used only when Williams calls upon them?...I suppose some would call that wasted money on Smoot, Macklin and Butler.

What if Springs and Rogers actually stay healthy all season and the rest of the guys are relagated to being merely situational pieces that get used only when Williams calls upon them?...I suppose some would call that wasted money on Smoot, Macklin and Butler.

First I think Springs, Rogers and Smoot will get a lot of playing time each. Keeping people fresh is something that I think Williams will do this year. This is assuming Rogers is playing well. I also think Macklin will get some time on the field as well in certain packages. Lastly, I highly doubt that either Springs or Smoot will not miss a couple of games.

If he's anything like the player he was prior to his injury, and he's got his head on straight, he should help your team this year.

Here's to you ramsrams :cheers: (It's Molson Golden!:) )

You sure made a bunch of Redskins fans look like fools last year when they blasted you for your extremely astute analysis of AA. I hope your analysis of Butler proves accurate as well.

Hail,

H

Thats a philosophy thing really, do you want the best 22 players you can afford with no one behind them? Or do you recognise that its the NFL and over 17 weeks the injury count gets ridiculous, identifying key starters, making sure the pieces fit, and covering your bases by making sure you have depth in key areas in anticipation of injuries.

One of the knocks on the Redskins D last year was that the projected starting 11 was great but there was noone in behind those 11 who could play... once more than one starter is out the entire unit folds...

This season the Redskins are going after depth.

Don't forget that just because a player is playing doesn't mean he is 100% ok... If you have quality depth you don't need to play injured players as much and can look after your starters better...

I can write as much as I want though because some people believe its all about the 22 not the entire squad.

Your call.

Thats a philosophy thing really, do you want the best 22 players you can afford with no one behind them? Or do you recognise that its the NFL and over 17 weeks the injury count gets ridiculous, identifying key starters, making sure the pieces fit, and covering your bases by making sure you have depth in key areas in anticipation of injuries.

One of the knocks on the Redskins D last year was that the projected starting 11 was great but there was noone in behind those 11 who could play... once more than one starter is out the entire unit folds...

This season the Redskins are going after depth.

Don't forget that just because a player is playing doesn't mean he is 100% ok... If you have quality depth you don't need to play injured players as much and can look after your starters better...

I can write as much as I want though because some people believe its all about the 22 not the entire squad.

Your call.

Excellent post. I am glad its not his call because he has no idea what he's talking about. I like our depth here. We really can afford to lose springs and/or rogers and still have a serviceable backfield. Last year we had NO depth at corner and thus williams couldnt do what he does best - attack with exotic blitz packages. I am sure atleast one of these guys will be injured by the time the regular season starts. And if not, then we have the tough choice of picking which TALENTED corners we want on our roster - not a bad position to be in at all. If we can afford to sign these guys, then we would be fools not to do so.

Butler is an outside pick to make the club at this point given his limited playing time in 2006 and missing all of 2005. But what is the harm in bringing in a guy for a look at a position where we had troubles competing in 2006? :)

We signed Butler for the same reason we signed Ross Tucker after we had Jason Fabini and Mike Pucillo back on board, to produce competition in the backup spots.

Springs

Rogers

Smoot

Macklin

Westbrook

Butler

I think GW wants to do some SERIOUS blitzing this year.

I am really pulling for Westbrook to make it. I hope we keep him around. Just because you don't go to a d1 school, doesn't mean you don't have skill

Now I know what happened to my sig... oops. Am I ever going to be able to get it back?

Same here? I want mine back.

Butler is an outside pick to make the club at this point given his limited playing time in 2006 and missing all of 2005. But what is the harm in bringing in a guy for a look at a position where we had troubles competing in 2006? :)

We signed Butler for the same reason we signed Ross Tucker after we had Jason Fabini and Mike Pucillo back on board, to produce competition in the backup spots.

actually we signed him because the coaches like what he can bring to the secondary, they tried to pick him up in 2003 or 2004 i believe but something happend I think the rams resigned him or something. but we will see if he can still paly. I don't gve any player credit anymore until i seem him gel with our squad.

It kinda seems like we are doing the same thing over again. In 2005, we lose our #2 WR, have Thrash and Jacobs(surprise!) injured and are extremely thin at WR for late in the season and playoffs. In the offseason, instead of just adding a #2 WR, we decide to 'overload' the position giving Lloyd, ARE huge contracts and retaining Patten and Thrash.

Now in '06 we had one of our starting CBs go down so it seems we are overdoing the CB dept. I just hope the results at the DB position are better than the results we got at the WR position for all our troubles last year.

This is very interesting... who gets left out?

There's no chance we carry more than 10 DBs (if that) so who goes? I'm going to assume that Doughty is toast at this point (is he still PS eligible?)

Springs

Rogers

Smoot

Macklin

Jimoh

Butler

Taylor

Landry

Prileaou

Fox

Stoutmire

Who misses the cut? I have to imagine it would be Jimoh, Butler, Stoutmire, or Fox. All four of those guys are pretty good players though. This should be interesting...

Archived