Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark May: Worst Offseason = Redskins

skinsn24

I waited a little while to post this, to give Bubba and the other reporters a chance, but havent seen it. So hopefully i dont get in trouble.

They just asked the NFL Live Crew who had the worst offseason.

Mark May said "The Washington Redskins"

He cited the poor rush defense and no pash rush.

He said we have an aging defensive line and it got no help this offseason.

He said the team tries to build via Free Agency and can be seen with 1 pick on the first day.

He gave our record under Danny and it has been horrible (dont remember the exact number).

He says that we keep adding players at positions, where they have a smaller inpact or there is a bigger need elsewhere.

He said he once played for the team and doesnt understand what they are doing now

I saw it, and his reasoning has little merit. He was simply hating. We address any weakness we had at LB, definitely took care of the secondary, and still have a little time to try and address the DL, though I wish we had done it in the draft.

BTW, it didn't seem like anyone there agreed with him.

I heard it and noted his passion. His passion for calling out Dan Snyder and his hatred really showed. If I am not mistaken he wrote a book and some of it talks about his intense dislike for Snyder. While I am sure he had reason to say what he said I am also convinced that he put it out there with such conviction in big part to his dislike of Snyder. It is for that reason I wish journalists and reporters would try to stay objective and not create spin and spew hate with their reporting.

THANK GOD!!!!!

you mean we didn't win the offseason championship? awwww shucks.

watching May say that really annoyed me because I thought he was a good analysit and understood how different d coordinators need specific needs and for gregg williams, that need is depth at lb. you can hate his stategy but that's what he does for a defensive scheme and may should recognize that.

May is an idiot....With a healthy secondary, watch our blitz packages become what it was back in 05-06....We have had a "under the radar" approach to FA this past off-season. We filled needs in that we shored up our MLB position with the steady LFB, and also we got some serious depth at the CB position. I think our LB's are going to be improved, you will see Gregg Williams do some things that we are accoustemed(sp?) to. If anything our front four is going to be better with the pressure coming from the sides through blitzes. Andre Carter should reach double digits in sacks this season, and the rest of the front four should be solid. The media jumps the gun entirely too much on the Skins. We did exactly what we should have done in the off season and in the draft. What else do they expect? There is a reason why he is sitting in the studio in Bristol and not in an NFL front office...it's way easier to play armchair QB from the sidelines. He should stick to sweating USC, because that is what he does best....what a tool

he's mad he got cut in 1988 and has been critical of the Redskins ever since retiring and going to the broadcast booth.

he is right in that the defense had major problems in all areas in 2006.

but up front a lot of the problems revolved around the injury to Griffin and the transition back to DE by Carter.

May ignores the fact that after Springs went out the Redskins couldn't cover anyone in the secondary and had perhaps the worst set of DBs in recent Washington history.

A level in front at linebacker, the Redskins were starting a 227 pound middle backer and had a 31 year old has-been at weakside.

If the Redskins had made no moves to shore up CB and LB, no doubt May would have taken the team to task over the status of these positions.

It is easy for May to criticize a 5-11 team because it is unlikely that given one offseason ALL holes will be filled.

A makeover of this magnitude will take TWO years.

And part of this is the transition from the 35 year old Brunell to Jason Campbell.

For May not to acknowledge that the Redskins are rebuilding with a 24 year old quarterback, rather than a 13-3 team trying to find the final piece to a Super Bowl run is just part of his schtick.

What did he say that was untrue? People here are quick to jump all over someone, regardless of the perspective taken. I guess the gang here is just a passionate bunch, which is good for debate, I suppose.

The fact that we entered the draft with so few picks should, itself, be a major indictment of the ways in which the Front Office has been so carefree is dealing picks over the last several years, and dealing those picks for players who have not had much impact.

Wait, let me get this straight.

Mark May is an idiot for blasting the Skins because they only had two picks in the first 5 rounds & didn't use either of them on a d lineman?

Thats funny, cause thats exactly the kind of **** i've seen in EVERY THREAD I'VE READ TODAY.

Pick a side & stick to it, geez...........

dood...im sorry, but I've been a fan of the Skins since the 80's during our golden years and May is absolutely right.

If you guys could understand that before Snyder took over, we were consistently in the playoffs and rarely had even 9-7 seasons much less sub .500 seasons.

Now, we are lucky as hell to make the playoffs once every 5-7 years, are kings of the sub .500 season, being in the tightest cap space as possible and have NO draft picks to address the future needs of the team or the franchise.

Yeah, we have a good team but is it good enough to overcome our glaring weakness that was exposed last year (our decrepit DL?). If Griffen and Salave'a can stay healthy AND play like they did 2 seasons ago, then we are a better team. But I don't believe that will happen and neither will the majority of Skins fans.

Mark's largely on target....

Although it's hard to determine (from a thousand miles away) how much health issues played into Dline's sup par performance last year...

Question: If Adams had fallen to #6, would the Skins have taken Adams? And why didn't they select Okoye, Anderson, or Carriker?

What's with this fascination with safeties....?

Mark May hasn't followed this team since he played for it.

EXAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTLY! Read my post about the LB's we picked up. I heard it as I was typing and thought the exact same thing. He and the rest of you jokers that keep buying in to the fact that we are "hurting" at D-line can get a clue. One year of injuries and turmoil on the defensive side of the ball doesn't=a strong need for DT's. :2cents:

HTTR

Compare what Dallas has done since Snyder took over for the Skins- Playoff appearances, playoff wins- and than tell me Snyder is a poor owner (not to mention team worth).

Skins are just an easy target- however, they have been on par with one of the more celebrated owners.

May is paid to hate.

Here's a quote from Rod Newhouse, ESPN draft tracker:

Redskins take a QB in Jason Palmer?!?! I must say, this team may have had the worst draft thus far. They only have one more pick in the 7th round and have not addressed ANY needs, and I don't really believe in always addressing needs. I am shaking my head on this one.

Archived