Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark May: Worst Offseason = Redskins

skinsn24

dood...im sorry, but I've been a fan of the Skins since the 80's during our golden years and May is absolutely right.

If you guys could understand that before Snyder took over, we were consistently in the playoffs and rarely had even 9-7 seasons much less sub .500 seasons.

Now, we are lucky as hell to make the playoffs once every 5-7 years, are kings of the sub .500 season, being in the tightest cap space as possible and have NO draft picks to address the future needs of the team or the franchise.

Yeah, we have a good team but is it good enough to overcome our glaring weakness that was exposed last year (our decrepit DL?). If Griffen and Salave'a can stay healthy AND play like they did 2 seasons ago, then we are a better team. But I don't believe that will happen and neither will the majority of Skins fans.

Lets debunk this quickly, shall we? We'll start with the first year of post-gibbs, 1993

93: 4-12

94: 3-13

95: 6-10

96: 9-7

97: 8-7-1

98: 6-10

99: 10-6- lost in divisional playoff round

00: 8-8

01: 8-8

02: 7-9

03: 5-11

04: 6-10

05: 10-6- lost in divisional playoff round

06: 5-11

Snyder bought the team in 99. Those 6 years prior don't look like glory years to me.....

Wait, let me get this straight.

Mark May is an idiot for blasting the Skins because they only had two picks in the first 5 rounds & didn't use either of them on a d lineman?

Never said he was an idiot. Just wanted to make his passion and dislike of the team very clear. It is hard to take someone who shows more passion for the hate of a team then what he is saying. Just not responsible reporting IMO.

What did he say that was untrue? People here are quick to jump all over someone, regardless of the perspective taken. I guess the gang here is just a passionate bunch, which is good for debate, I suppose.

The fact that we entered the draft with so few picks should, itself, be a major indictment of the ways in which the Front Office has been so carefree is dealing picks over the last several years, and dealing those picks for players who have not had much impact.

It wasn't what he was saying, it was his delivery. While I don't agree with what he was saying I can't knock him for it. When he starts to call out individuals on a team to make a point, I lose interest and it takes greatly from his credibility.

dood...im sorry, but I've been a fan of the Skins since the 80's during our golden years and May is absolutely right.

If you guys could understand that before Snyder took over, we were consistently in the playoffs and rarely had even 9-7 seasons much less sub .500 seasons.

Now, we are lucky as hell to make the playoffs once every 5-7 years, are kings of the sub .500 season, being in the tightest cap space as possible and have NO draft picks to address the future needs of the team or the franchise.

Yeah, we have a good team but is it good enough to overcome our glaring weakness that was exposed last year (our decrepit DL?). If Griffen and Salave'a can stay healthy AND play like they did 2 seasons ago, then we are a better team. But I don't believe that will happen and neither will the majority of Skins fans.

Wait, we were consistently wining before 1999?

So May is wrong because:

The Redskins DO have a pass rush?

The Redskins DO have a lot of draft picks?

The Redskins bolstered the Dline?

The Redskins record under The Danny (drafting or on the field HAS been impressive?

The Redskins have NOT invested way more in the safety position over the last 3 years than probably any team in NFL history?

Here's a quote from Rod Newhouse, ESPN draft tracker:

Redskins take a QB in Jason Palmer?!?! I must say, this team may have had the worst draft thus far. They only have one more pick in the 7th round and have not addressed ANY needs, and I don't really believe in always addressing needs. I am shaking my head on this one.

Uhhhh, I think LB depth was a huge need. We WERE 1-2 injuries away from disaster at LB. Unless your content with Lemar Marshall and Khary Campbell starting should we have some injuries. I don't know but I think Blades was a steal. Jordan Palmer must have been high on their board and thats why they picked him. Plus this will definitely be Brunell's last season with the Washington Redskins and Todd Collins could be gone soon after. Casey Bramlet is trying to prove he deserves to be in the NFL so the pick, although not popular, is not a bad pickup.

Next year we will have all our picks and from what I am hearing next years draft if flooded with defensive line talent even more than in this years draft.

So this season is a throw away? Not hammering you for admiting that, because that's what it appears.

Compare what Dallas has done since Snyder took over for the Skins- Playoff appearances, playoff wins- and than tell me Snyder is a poor owner (not to mention team worth).

Skins are just an easy target- however, they have been on par with one of the more celebrated owners.

May is paid to hate.

Ok...:doh:...Dallas sucks too because of Jerry Jones. WHO CARES!...well, actually I'm glad Dallas has sucked but its just another case where the owner drives his team into the ground on a consistant basis with horrible decisions and being lead by the 'hype' of the 'star player'.

Bottom line is both organizations have sucked since the 90's. Why compare sucky organizations against sucky ones? THAT'S EVEN MORE RETARDED!

Compare the Eagles to us. Compare the Colts to us. Then go lock yourself in your room and cry for a while when reality hits you. I've done it and all I what I want more than anythying is for this team to break the chains of stupidity. I want the Skins to be a Juggernaut again! But Snyder has turned us into a petting zoo of meager, 'looks good on paper' success.

By now I'm desensitized to media criticism, but it takes a special kind of arrogance to go through last season and not pick up any defensive line help.

I hope our moves work out.

:applause:

Well said. I pray I'm wrong, but that "special kind of arrogance" is disturbing.

One year of injuries and turmoil on the defensive side of the ball doesn't=a strong need for DT's.

Exactly.....we did just fine with Daniels, Wynn, Salave'a, and Griffin back in 05-06'....I don't think they set any records by way of getting sacks, but they got the job done...as a matter of fact (correct me if i'm wrong), didn't Springs lead the team in sacks that year with 6? Again, we have a better front four than what we had in our playoff run...coupled with (fingers x'd) cohesion from all of our new acquisitions in the LB corps and in the secondary, and I think our defense can become a top 10 unit in the NFL....In a GW system, how much pressure is expected to be generated by the front four? It is a luxury when you have a guy like Andre Carter figure out what he is doing, and gives you glimpses of the potential and talent he has over the last 5-6 games of the season...anyways, we should be back to our old blitzing ways in this up coming season. We have added some depth and talent through FA and in the draft. No matter what certain media pundits try to spin, I believe that we have had a good off-season...the Palmer pick was a little questionable, but that late in round 6, what do you expect? Anyways, we will be fine going into this season, and when we start winning some ballgames, a lot of the haters will be looking for seats on the bandwagon...

Sarcasm:

I guess Mark May was a HOF coach in his past life, so he should know whats best, lol

The sad part is that May seems to be an intelligent analyst who could offer the audience some good insight. His delivery and personal attacks cause me to change the channel. Not for disagreement of his view just his spewing about certain people within the Redskins organization.

what May did not do was factor in the improvements:

1. Return of Clinton Portis healthy. This could be worth several games improvement due to his big play ability and success in taking the pressure off Campbell.

2. Acquisition of Smoot and Macklin to solidify the CB position. These are big upgrades over Kenny Wright and Mike Rumph.

3. Draft of Landry allows Redskins to field a capable NFL starter talent-wise. Vernon Fox is a special teamer, Prioleau hasn't played a full game since 2005 and Stoutmire is a 33 year old depth player but not a 16 game starter. This doesn't help the run defense as well as the ability to provide outside pressure via the blitz?

4. London Fletcher provides a big upgrade at MLB over Marshall. Fletcher has been arguably the most durable and productive middle backer in the NFL over the past 5-6 years. This doesn't help the run defense?

5. Return of Cornelius Griffin at DT. This doesn't help the run defense?

6. Development of Golston at the other DT spot. His improvement with another offseason under his belt doesn't improve the run defense?

7. Continued progress of Andre Carter at DE. May discounts Carter's improvement during the second half of 2006. If Carter plays 16 games and puts up 10-15 sacks, all of a sudden the argument going the other way by May loses a lot of its wind.

I don't know if we had the worst offseason, but he's right in that its pretty bad when you compare it with those of other teams. Whatever his motivation for doing so is, somebody had to say it.

To start it off with, we lost Dockery, who while I agree he isn't worth as mich as Buffalo paid him...he probably was more vital to us, our rushing O and our pass protection than we give him credit for. Its no guarantee we've found a replacement yet.

We only had one pick yesterday...which is bad enough and likely should win us the worst offseason title alone. Our actions in this draft puzzle me. While Laron Landry is a great pick, and I look forward to seeing how he and Taylor do, and how it affects our defense, our biggest needs are with the defensive line. Now we finally are able to pick in the fifth round and beyond. We need help on the DL but we pick a couple of LBs who likely won't make the team. We need some DL help and we drafted a QB...where our needs aren't quite as pressing. (Even though he is Carson Palmer's brother)

It might be true that may hates the Danny, and jumps on whatever opportunity he can to bash him, but there's no defending our record since he acquired the team. Can't dispute him on that.

Now we did do some good things regarding our secondary, but our DLine is aging and will at least need depth regardless of whether the new additions enable us to blitz more and get more pressure on the QB or not. Injuries and durability are also a major concern.

You all act like the coaching staff didnt go through tape and saw EXACTLY what went wrong with our defense. They know our team better than anyone else, they know what the real needs are. Obviously, they were on defense but there are other issues like Marcus Washington and McIntosh's health, among other things. Out #6 pick had to be a stud defensive player, and that player was not on the Defensive line, period. It was a safety. Secondly, who's to say we wont get DLine help later? We could easily wait till June 1st cuts or maybe some post draft trade to address the need, who knows. Joe Gibbs is adament to get this team back to winning ways, and I think he and his staff knows what talent is currently on the roster and what spots really need substantial upgrades. I'll leave it in their hands. If we suck at stopping the run and still cant sack anybody this next season, I'll tell you all that you were right, but until then, I'll trust a HOF Coach and his staff.

If you read his book, then you can be forgiven for saying that Mark May seems like a guy who enjoys pursuing a good vendetta. It can cloud his judgment.

So while he's not wrong on all counts, he appears to view the Skins with a "glass half full" perspective, exaggerates the team's shortcomings, and derives pleasure from seeing them lose. :2cents:

what May did not do was factor in the improvements:

1. Return of Clinton Portis healthy. This could be worth several games improvement due to his big play ability and success in taking the pressure off Campbell.

2. Acquisition of Smoot and Macklin to solidify the CB position. These are big upgrades over Kenny Wright and Mike Rumph.

3. Draft of Landry allows Redskins to field a capable NFL starter talent-wise. Vernon Fox is a special teamer, Prioleau hasn't played a full game since 2005 and Stoutmire is a 33 year old depth player but not a 16 game starter. This doesn't help the run defense as well as the ability to provide outside pressure via the blitz?

4. London Fletcher provides a big upgrade at MLB over Marshall. Fletcher has been arguably the most durable and productive middle backer in the NFL over the past 5-6 years. This doesn't help the run defense?

5. Return of Cornelius Griffin at DT. This doesn't help the run defense?

6. Development of Golston at the other DT spot. His improvement with another offseason under his belt doesn't improve the run defense?

7. Continued progress of Andre Carter at DE. May discounts Carter's improvement during the second half of 2006. If Carter plays 16 games and puts up 10-15 sacks, all of a sudden the argument going the other way by May loses a lot of its wind.

The statements highlighted in yellow cannot be considered off season moves, because every team has injuries and hopes young guys improve. The black statements i agree with, they were moves that improved this team.

However, the yellow statements were not moves out FO made and while hopefully the young guys like Golston improve, the old guys like Daniels and Wynn will get older and slower.

There is no garentee on Griffins health. I am much more postive on the return of portis

Ok...:doh:...Dallas sucks too because of Jerry Jones. WHO CARES!...well, actually I'm glad Dallas has sucked but its just another case where the owner drives his team into the ground on a consistant basis with horrible decisions and being lead by the 'hype' of the 'star player'.

Bottom line is both organizations have sucked since the 90's. Why compare sucky organizations against sucky ones? THAT'S EVEN MORE RETARDED!

Compare the Eagles to us. Compare the Colts to us. Then go lock yourself in your room and cry for a while when reality hits you. I've done it and all I what I want more than anythying is for this team to break the chains of stupidity. I want the Skins to be a Juggernaut again! But Snyder has turned us into a petting zoo of meager, 'looks good on paper' success.

Well, we were a couple plays from the NFC Championship game 2 years ago. That's better than 'looking good on paper'.

We drafted players like Cooley, Campbell, Taylor, Rogers, Jansen & Samuels, who are all solid performers and some pro-bowl caliber.

We acquired Washington, Moss, Portis, ARE, Springs. All Pro Bowl level performers.

There has been some duds, but looks at this franchise and tell me honestly it hasn't made quality transactions to produce a winner.

Kepp crying in your room, but whenthis team finally clicks and we go back to glory, I'll always remember all you cry babies.

Yeah Mark May knows nothing...I mean he only follows the league for a living.

Some people, most of them on this board, just don't like hearing anything but positive spins on things. If he said the exact opposite we'd only hear about how much of a genius he was....

If you read his book, then you can be forgiven for saying that Mark May seems like a guy who enjoys pursuing a good vendetta. It can cloud his judgment.

So while he's not wrong on all counts, he appears to view the Skins with a "glass half full" perspective, exaggerates the team's shortcomings, and derives pleasure from seeing them lose. :2cents:

Well put Chief! This is just what I was getting at. :applause:

no im just saying next year is our year for D-lineman

yeah then we could have how many Dlineman on the roster? I hope some of realize that the Linebackes should be the guys to stop the Running backs, did any of you watch the games last year. We couldn't stop the pass b/c we couldn't stop the run and when we did bring ST and Co. in the box we got torched deep.

Yeah Mark May knows nothing...I mean he only follows the league for a living.

Some people, most of them on this board, just don't like hearing anything but positive spins on things. If he said the exact opposite we'd only hear about how much of a genius he was....

I am "some people" and IMO he is wrong but I am not upset about that. I am upset for him spewing his dislike for the team (self admitted) on a national TV stage.

the post that the #5 and #6 picks are likely not to make the team in 2007 I think are way off base given the current depth chart.

the Redskins took linebackers for the very reason that there is little or no capable depth at the position.

the comparison to McCune in 2005 is erroneous. McCune was a 26 year old former Marine who had limited experience.

Sartz and Blades were productive players with a lot more experience coming in.

Archived