Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'm 99.999 percent sure that chael sonnen is going to get Forrest griffin'd. As for the BJ rematch, BJ has to be motivated by that loss. If we see a motivated BJ, Frankie Edgar is easily a one & done champ.

Don't underestimate confidence. BJ can be motivated but in the back of his mind he knows that the guy in front of him BEAT HIM. At the same time Frankie Edgar won't be fighting BJ Penn the unbeatable champ... he'll be fighting a guy he already beat. That can have a huge impact on the fight.

That dude has made me furious twice and prevented me from ordering a pay per view that he's on.

Yeah, I have ordered every PPV for at least the last few years with the exception of two (108 - Rashad vs. Thiago Silva and 109 - Couture vs. Coleman). But I will not be ordering this one. I still plan on going to a bar or something like that to watch, but although it is a good card top to bottom, I have been a little underwhelmed by Silva's last few fights.

What do you guys think of Munoz-Okami? Munoz is a decent sized underdog. Thinking of betting on him.

That puzzled me as well. I don't know why everyone is automatically giving Okami that fight.

Okami obviously has the experience advantage and his striking looked tremendous in his last fight (which I saw here in Charlotte :D). But Munoz is no pushover.

Don't underestimate confidence. BJ can be motivated but in the back of his mind he knows that the guy in front of him BEAT HIM. At the same time Frankie Edgar won't be fighting BJ Penn the unbeatable champ... he'll be fighting a guy he already beat. That can have a huge impact on the fight.

Edgar technically beat BJ, but he outpointed him over 5 rounds (even though Penn landed more strikes) it's not like he knocked BJ out or subbed him. BJ isn't going to be gun-shy from getting KO'd. Motivation is Penn's biggest enemy, that shouldn't be a problem this time around.

Meh... I like Spider Silva and I don't find his fights boring at all. Let's look at his last 10:

Of those ten fights the worst were Maia, Leites, and Cote. All three guys refused to fight Silva and instead wanted to get to the ground by any means necessary including sitting their on their back refusing to stand up. Lutter was a ground guy as well but he took the fight to Silva (and had good position for a while). These last three however forgot their balls in the dressing room and Silva getting annoyed with it which frankly is understandable. Silva's first priority is rightly to WIN not entertain. He'd be stupid to flop into someone's guard that stands no chance of winning any other way.

Okay, let's look at his last FOUR fights. The worst were Maia, Leites and Cote...same thing. I don't know if he's sticking it to the UFC or if he's going through a mid-life crisis, but the guy has totally needed that "you need to take the belt away from me" shtick more than anybody in the history of combat mother****ing sports.

I don't know any champion, past or present, MMA or otherwise, who just stopped doing ANYTHING in mockery of his opponent. Not once. And he's done it three times.

Those three inferior strikers tried to feel out angles they were comfortable exchanging from, but Anderson is 100x faster and more instinctual than those guys. He controls the distance with his quickness and footwork, he dictates what will happen on the feet 90% of the time. Right when you want to throw a punch, he's gone. Out of range, and inexplicably asking you to fight. "How, mother****er?"

In Leites case, Anderson was so fast that Leites would fall to the ground from being overwhelmed with speed and angular superiority. "Oh ****!" and fall to the ground. That's how great Anderson is.

I'm convinced he could kill these guys if he wanted to...I'm convinced he knows it...there is something behind the scenes that will come out one day where he explains why he did that bull****.

This safe and not sorry - you have to take the belt from me stuff is BS from his loyal fans. He'll only rock somebody who is determined to chase and overextend and throw bombs at him. Like I said, Yosemite Sam would be a great opponent for him...he'd actually MAKE Anderson throw a punch.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Meh... I like Spider Silva and I don't find his fights boring at all. Let's look at his last 10:

Demian Maia

Forrest Griffin

Thales Leites

Patrick Côté

James Irvin

Dan Henderson

Rich Franklin

Nate Marquardt

Travis Lutter

Rich Franklin

Of those ten fights the worst were Maia, Leites, and Cote. All three guys refused to fight Silva and instead wanted to get to the ground by any means necessary including sitting their on their back refusing to stand up. Lutter was a ground guy as well but he took the fight to Silva (and had good position for a while). These last three however forgot their balls in the dressing room and Silva getting annoyed with it which frankly is understandable. Silva's first priority is rightly to WIN not entertain. He'd be stupid to flop into someone's guard that stands no chance of winning any other way.

I agree with you to a point. However, is Silva in this sport to fight or what? Seriously, it's a contact sport. Even Mayweather after all the criticism he received for running around the ring for 12 rounds and not finishing guys, has increased his level of aggression and is now taking the fight to his opponent. Silva is making himself into a joke.

What I agree with is he doesn't need to go in there like a mad man and go Chris Leben on his opponent but if his opponent isn't fighting him don't stand in the ring and taunt someone for doing the exact same thing you are. Why in Gods name would anyone go in there and purposely get knocked out by him? If he's P4P and has such a great takedown defense or BJJ then why not wade in and make a fight out of it instead of acting like a baby when someone won't allow him to knock them the **** out?

I agree with you to a point. However, is Silva in this sport to fight or what? Seriously, it's a contact sport. Even Mayweather after all the criticism he received for running around the ring for 12 rounds and not finishing guys, has increased his level of aggression and is now taking the fight to his opponent. Silva is making himself into a joke.

What I agree with is he doesn't need to go in there like a mad man and go Chris Leben on his opponent but if his opponent isn't fighting him don't stand in the ring and taunt someone for doing the exact same thing you are. Why in Gods name would anyone go in there and purposely get knocked out by him? If he's P4P and has such a great takedown defense or BJJ then why not wade in and make a fight out of it instead of acting like a baby when someone won't allow him to knock them the **** out?

Because he's the champ and if you can't take him down you can't dictate the fight. Stand with him or take him down, no throwing yourself on the ground and hoping he goes along with it. Doing so would be stupid.

Not saying he should jump into someones guard. However, if you're the best striker in the world go beat somebody up. Don't stand back and taunt them, then get pissed when they don't chase you around the ring.

Not saying he should jump into someones guard. However, if you're the best striker in the world go beat somebody up. Don't stand back and taunt them, then get pissed when they don't chase you around the ring.

The problem with that statement is obvious, every striker on the planet knows that you don't chase a BJJ fighter. You stay back, defend the take down, and pick them apart. If you shift your weight forward as they retreat you are open for a take down which is what the BJJ fighter is trying to force you into doing.

I understand it's boring, but it's smart. Is this a circus or a sport?

The problem with that statement is obvious, every striker on the planet knows that you don't chase a BJJ fighter. You stay back, defend the take down, and pick them apart. If you shift your weight forward as they retreat you are open for a take down which is what the BJJ fighter is trying to force you into doing.

I understand it's boring, but it's smart. Is this a circus or a sport?

But he's the best P4P fighter in the world! If he's so freaking good defend the freaking takedown. It's not like Maia, did nothing but shoot on him. if they go for a takedown hit them with a knee, isn't he a top notch muai tai fighter as well? I just don't buy it Destino.

I'm not the type of MMA fan who boo's when fighers are working for position on the ground or they're feeling each other out. I understand the sport. However, Silva is a classless ***** with his taunting and acting like a baby when his opponent doesn't charge in with their chin up so he can knock them out. He expects them to do exactly what he refuses to do. Don't disrespect the sport, the fans or the sport with your bull**** antics.

But he's the best P4P fighter in the world! If he's so freaking good defend the freaking takedown. It's not like Maia, did nothing but shoot on him. if they go for a takedown hit them with a knee, isn't he a top notch muai tai fighter as well? I just don't buy it Destino.

I'm not the type of MMA fan who boo's when fighers are working for position on the ground or they're feeling each other out. I understand the sport. However, Silva is a classless ***** with his taunting and acting like a baby when his opponent doesn't charge in with their chin up so he can knock them out. He expects them to do exactly what he refuses to do. Don't disrespect the sport, the fans or the sport with your bull**** antics.

The question I have is why does Anderson have to force the #1 contender to fight him? He didn't have to beg James Irvin, Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt, or Travis Lutter to fight him. Why is he being matched up with guys that don't really want the belt?

Did Frankie Edgar spend the entire time back peddling and begging BJ to jump on him? No. He got in there exchanged with him and took him down. Did Shogun beg Machida to chase him or did he come after that belt? Name anyone that has recently one a title in the UFC that owns a belt by back peddling and begging to be on his own back?

Even MACHIDA the king of defensive fighting styles tried to put his arm through Evans' face to earn his title. The UFC needs to find someone for Anderson to fight that wants to fight. If you can't take him down then you have to stand with him. None of this "hope he makes a mistake while I lay on my back" BS. Take the title or don't fight the champ.

Exactly Destino. If you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. If you want to submit Anderson Silva, you better have a plan on how to take him down and not just lay on the ground hoping Silva makes the same mistake Fedor did against Werdum.

I think Anderson Silva is basically tired and bored with fighters who go on and on about having the "keys to defeat Silva" before the fight, and then as soon as the bell rings they look like they want to talk things out rather then fight.

No one is demanding any fighter stands and trades with Silva, but parting of MMA is that if you are a BJJ ace, then you need to find a way to close the distance and get your opponent to the ground, which none in the 185 division have seemed to be able to do yet. The closest we have seen was Dan Henderson wrestle Silva down, and Travis Lutter had a pretty good showing back in the day.

Exactly Destino. If you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. If you want to submit Anderson Silva, you better have a plan on how to take him down and not just lay on the ground hoping Silva makes the same mistake Fedor did against Werdum.

I think Anderson Silva is basically tired and bored with fighters who go on and on about having the "keys to defeat Silva" before the fight, and then as soon as the bell rings they look like they want to talk things out rather then fight.

No one is demanding any fighter stands and trades with Silva, but parting of MMA is that if you are a BJJ ace, then you need to find a way to close the distance and get your opponent to the ground, which none in the 185 division have seemed to be able to do yet. The closest we have seen was Dan Henderson wrestle Silva down, and Travis Lutter had a pretty good showing back in the day.

I honestly don't know what fights you guys have been watching. Both you and Destino act like the bell rang and these guys flopped to their backs and asked Silva to fall into their guard. No one, not me, not another poster in this thread has ever insinuated for a minute that AS should play into his opponents strength.

However, if AS is the best mother ****ing striker in the world then go smash somones ****ing face in! It's that simple! You mention Machida, he was in jeopardy of never getting a title shot if he didn't go out there and smash someones face in.

Oh BTW, when fighters have tried to engage Silva he's used that little front kick to the knee to back them up. If what you say is true why doesn't he let them wade in and throw some counter strikes so he can KTTFO with the best hands in the WORLD! Call it what you will, if he's so bad ass he'd actually fight.

Edited by ZoEd

I honestly don't know what fights you guys have been watching. Both you and Destino act like the bell rang and these guys flopped to their backs and asked Silva to fall into their guard. No one, not me, not another poster in this thread has ever insinuated for a minute that AS should play into his opponents strength.

However, if AS is the best mother ****ing striker in the world then go smash somones ****ing face in! It's that simple! You mention Machida, he was in jeopardy of never getting a title shot if he didn't go out there and smash someones face in.

Oh BTW, when fighters have tried to engage Silva he's used that little front kick to the knee to back them up. If what you say is true why doesn't he let them wade in and throw some counter strikes so he can KTTFO with the best hands in the WORLD! Call it what you will, if he's so bad ass he'd actually fight.

I agree to a certain degree. Obviously some people didn't watch the last 2.5 rounds of the Maia fight. I'm pretty sure it was Silva NOT throwing.

That being said, I think the biggest frustration among fans is that we KNOW Silva can KO pretty much anyone in the division, and feel slighted when he works just hard enough to win. Yes, he's the champ, but he's the only champ in MMA that I've seen that literally had the gall to stop fighting and just duck and cover "because he was disrespected".

I know what you're saying but Silva is DEFENDING a title. The natural reality of the situation is that the person that wants what he has, should come and take it. Just think of all of the belts you've seen change hands and think about what the people that won them behaved.

Brock Lesnar: Dude went after Couture and smashed him.

Rua: Jumped on Machida and tried to take his soul.

Silva: No one will forget the look on Rich Franklin's face.

Georges St-Pierre: Epic battle with Matt Hugh's where he took the fight to Matt in a way no one had ever been able to do.

Frankie Edgar: Boxed with a man that WANTS to trade punches and took him down to seal the deal.

None of them backed off because of a push kick or complained that the people formerly holding the title weren't aggressive enough. They walked in the ring and beat the **** out of the guy that had the belt and walked out with what was now theirs.

I know what you're saying but Silva is DEFENDING a title. The natural reality of the situation is that the person that wants what he has, should come and take it. Just think of all of the belts you've seen change hands and think about what the people that won them behaved.

Brock Lesnar: Dude went after Couture and smashed him.

Rua: Jumped on Machida and tried to take his soul.

Silva: No one will forget the look on Rich Franklin's face.

Georges St-Pierre: Epic battle with Matt Hugh's where he took the fight to Matt in a way no one had ever been able to do.

Frankie Edgar: Boxed with a man that WANTS to trade punches and took him down to seal the deal.

None of them backed off because of a push kick or complained that the people formerly holding the title weren't aggressive enough. They walked in the ring and beat the **** out of the guy that had the belt and walked out with what was now theirs.

Fair point, but in everyone of those situations (aside from the Machida/Shogun fight), the champ was the FAR lesser fighter. I'm pretty confident (though not sure) that even Vegas odds had the winners.

Simple fact is, if people don't pay to see you fight, you don't matter, champion or not. Dana knows this.

Don't get me wrong, it will fail. Regardless though, I'm sure Dana appreciates his efforts. Honestly, without this **** talking, would anyone even give a crap about this fight?

Or maybe Dana has a hand in Sonnen's **** talking, and encourages it ? By doing so, the extra intrigue will increase publicity and interest in a fight featuring such an unpopular fighter like Silva.

Or maybe Dana has a hand in Sonnen's **** talking, and encourages it ? By doing so, the extra intrigue will increase publicity and interest in a fight featuring such an unpopular fighter like Silva.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic in the "unpopular fighter" comment. He's a popular fighter obviously. But was anyone PSYCHED for the Maia fight? At least with Forrest, we knew there would be fireworks. Against Sonnen without a storyline? Meh.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic in the "unpopular fighter" comment.

I just chose the wrong word.....I didn't mean unpopular, as in, few people knew him, I meant it as in few people like him. Perhaps I should have used the word despised.

I just chose the wrong word.....I didn't mean unpopular, as in, few people knew him, I meant it as in few people like him. Perhaps I should have used the word despised.

Fair enough, but one highlight and he's back. Hell, he's the P4P champ in many people's books (and it's hard to argue). He's a dangerous fighter to release, and Dana knows it, but if people stop watching you, buh-bye.