Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'm convinced Sonnen is pulling off a WWF schtick and we're all falling for it. He is totally pushing this talk to the limit for marketing purposes. We are all kids again, hating the heel for the outrageous and convincing act he's putting on.

I love it. It's like he's one mention of smashing a guitar over Anderson's head away from being the Honky Tonk Man. I laugh every time I listen to him because he's so good at speaking, yet he's using that skill along with narrowminded overconfidence. Just like someone in the WWF.

If he actually is truly 100% serious about everything he says, then he could probably be a millionaire ripping people off as a used car salesman. "This sedan has everything you want, it tops out at 200 mph, never runs out of gas, it will disintegrate tractor trailers." I'm not letting this trash talk make me develop a dislike for Sonnen, I'm laughing at every second of it. I bet Dana has seen dollar signs every time Sonnen has opened his mouth.

For crying out loud, I promised myself never to order another card Silva was headlining, but I'm thinking about getting this tomorrow night. The quality of the card certainly doesn't hurt, but all this trash talk has only set up something extremely dramatic.

If Silva somehow pulls another Kalib Starnes I think I will actually be in awe. To challenge the threat by Dana White, to lay another bore-fest...my jaw will be dropped for the entire fight if that happens. Either way, there is almost no way us fans won't be treated to something theatrical tomorrow night.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I'm convinced Sonnen is pulling off a WWF schtick and we're all falling for it. He is totally pushing this talk to the limit for marketing purposes.

That's exactly what I was sayin back on page 979 :)

Or maybe Dana has a hand in Sonnen's **** talking, and encourages it ? By doing so, the extra intrigue will increase publicity and interest in a fight featuring such an unpopular (as in, despised) fighter like Silva.

Another version

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fG-bDyBtiY&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fG-bDyBtiY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by Mickalino

sonnen has that "my god what have i done?" look on his face at the end

Open to interpretation, apparently. You see what you want to see

Did the American anthem play? Is that what snapped Sonnen to attention? That's just bizarre. Couldn't he have just walked back to his seat?

No, it's bizarre that Silva continued the staredown, instead of posing for the cameras, which is what Sonnen was actually doing, and what Silva should have been doing

Sonnen doesn't look so tough now. I love how Anderson made sure to wear his pink sweater after Chael made fun of it. :ols:

So, wearing a pink sweater becomes more "manly" if you wear it after someone justifiably cracks on you for it ?

Edited by Mickalino

Did the American anthem play? Is that what snapped Sonnen to attention? That's just bizarre. Couldn't he have just walked back to his seat?

They do a face off for pictures then both face the crowd for another shot. Sonnen turned to face the crowd and Silva didn't.

Typically, except for Forest and Rich, AS looks bigger than most guys at 185. Sonnen looks to be about the same size.

As much as I respect AS's skills I still think he's an overhyped douchebag who has done nothing but disrespect the sport and his opponents. His antics in the ring are no different than Brocks WWE bull**** he does. Difference is Brock does his after the fight.

I for one, although I doubt it will happen, hope Sonnen finds away to pull it off. Then I woke up.

lol @ you rooting for Sonnen because Silva reminds you of WWE antics. What do you call what Sonnen has been doing for 3 months?

Edited by Sebowski

They do a face off for pictures then both face the crowd for another shot. Sonnen turned to face the crowd and Silva didn't.

What he said......

No, it's bizarre that Silva continued the staredown, instead of posing for the cameras, which is what Sonnen was actually doing, and what Silva should have been doing

Errr, I mean, what MICK said, first :silly:

Uggghhh.. What the **** is wrong with some fighters? Well, unless he puts Fitch away in impressive fashion, he probably just kissed his title shot goodbye.

this is his 3rd "weight cutting" offense (he missed weight completely for Hughes, & was suspended after KO'ng De Souza for diuretics)

even if he wins, i dont see how they give him a title shot. they need to force him to fight at MW

this is his 3rd "weight cutting" offense (he missed weight completely for Hughes, & was suspended after KO'ng De Souza for diuretics)

even if he wins, i dont see how they give him a title shot. they need to force him to fight at MW

He definitely needs to be forced to fight at mw. Three strikes and he's out at ww.

Alves missed weight again

Well, that's disappointing. How many times does this have to happen?

And at this point, I hope Anderson mauls Chael. I am not giving into the talk, but I just want Silva to fight like he can. We'll see if Chael actually tries to take the fight to him like he says he is going to. If he rushes him, it could be a short fight.

Question, Alves missed weight by a half-pound. Don't fighters have an hour or two after the weigh-ins to cut more weight if they are over the limit? Always thought there was a secondary weigh-in, dang.

Alves should stop bench pressing so much weight, he has 38-C titties. His boobies probably weigh 5 pounds each. Sara Jay Alves.

Well, that's disappointing. How many times does this have to happen?

And at this point, I hope Anderson mauls Chael. I am not giving into the talk, but I just want Silva to fight like he can. We'll see if Chael actually tries to take the fight to him like he says he is going to. If he rushes him, it could be a short fight.

I think Sonnen has pretty much sealed the deal on Anderson actually fighting this time. I think deep down Sonnen knows he's going to get destroyed but he wants to be a part of an exciting fight, not another Leites/Maia/Cote dud. I see this one going more like the Forrest Griffin fight.

Question, Alves missed weight by a half-pound. Don't fighters have an hour or two after the weigh-ins to cut more weight if they are over the limit? Always thought there was a secondary weigh-in, dang.

Alves should stop bench pressing so much weight, he has 38-C titties. His boobies probably weigh 5 pounds each. Sara Jay Alves.

:ols:

I see what you did there.

I'm guessing that they did the second weigh in and he still failed to cut that last half pound.

He may not be in very good shape tonight because if you're down to where you can't even lose a half pound, then that means you've already tried everything possible: steam rooms, cardio with full sweats and no water, probably even laxatives.

I think we may see a weaker Alves, which isn't good against a boring but tough grinder like Jon Fitch.

UFC 117: Sponsored by Ringling Brothers

Clay Guida vs. Rafael Dos Anjos: Guida at this point only has his cardio working for him. he has decent wrestling, but his striking, defense in particular, is bad. Dos Anjos should be able to win the exchanges on the feet and if Guida gets him down, Dos Anjos' bjj should be able to give Guida subpar submission defense troubles. If Guida wins this fight, its simply by overwhelming Dos Anjos with constant action

Dos Anjos by Submission, 2nd Round

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida: God help us all if this fight stays standing on the feet for any length of time. Hughes could try to keep it standing and work leg kicks from a distance and point himself to a decision. Otherwise it comes down to if Hughes can lay on top of Almeida without being submitted, i'm guessing he won't.

Almeida by Submission, 2nd Round

Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson: Nelson has good pop in his strikes, but JDS is a different kind of animal on the feet. His hand combinations are a beauty to watch. The time he spends training his boxing will pay off as he'll be able to pick Nelson off as he tries to get close enough to clinch.

Dos Santos by (T)KO, 3rd Round

Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves: The time off, combined with his struggles to make weight, will be Alves' downfall. Facing a lesser opponent, those factors wouldn't matter quite as much. Fitch will get close enough to clinch and drag it to the ground where he will show his patented ability to blanket himself to his opponent. If Alves can use leg kicks to destroy Fitch's legs, his chances of winning would be alot better, but I can't see Fitch not catching one of those legs and getting the takedown.

Fitch by Unanimous Decision

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen: Sonnen excels at the one area Silva has shown some weakness. Sonnen's problem is that even though he's great at takedowns, he doesn't do much damage when he gets his man down. Sonnen hasn't finished a fight since 2007 (including a Paulo Fihlo who was talking to ghosts during their 2nd fight). I expect Sonnen to get Silva down at some point, but i also expect him to take damage before he does. When it goes to the ground, i can't see Sonnen lasting 5rds without getting submitted. His jiu-jitsu defense is really bad, Anderson long limbs gives him an advantage on the ground that Marquardt and Dan Miller didn't have. Even in those fights, Sonnen has to fight out of deep chokes each time. bottom line, if Silva is serious he sparks Sonnen inside of 2 rounds. If he's not serious, he clowns Sonnen for 25min and dares Dana to cut him.

Silva by Submission, 2nd Round

Undercard quick picks:

Ben Saunders over Dennis Hallman: UD

Tim Boetsch over Todd Brown: UD

Rick Story over Dustin Hazelett: TKO

Phil Davis over Rodney Wallace: TKO

Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos: I'm almost more excited for this fight than I am the main event. The HW division is quickly becoming the most entertaining in the UFC. Anyway, it's easy to look at this fight and say that if it stays standing JDS gets the KO and if it goes to the ground, Nelson likely gets the sub. But honestly, we haven't seen a lot of JDS on the ground and he is a brown belt under Nog, but Nelson has one of the best ground games in the HW division, which is incredible considering he's built like Santa Claus. And on the other side of the coin, Nelson has shown that he has KO power on the feet but ultimately he doesn't have the crisp technical boxing that Dos Santos has and would probably need to land a lucky punch to finish this standing. This should be a war either way.

Dos Santos by TKO round 2

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida

This is Almeida's 2nd fight at WW. He's come down from 185 and he looked sharp submitting Matt Brown in his last fight. Hughes will be a tougher test at 170. Hughes is an outstanding wrestler and Almeida is an ace on the ground. If Hughes had a belt in BJJ he'd probably be close to a black belt though so he's no slouch. These guys are only three years apart and Hughes definitely has the edge in experience, especially against tough ground guys.

Hughes by UD

Clay Guida vs. Rafael Dos Anjos

At this point we know exactly what Guida's going to do in every fight (take guys down and control the fight with his wrestling). But he's such an exciting fighter that he'll likely always have a job in the UFC despite a slightly better-than-average record. Dos Anjos is another ground ace who's trying to make a name for himself in the octagon. Guida probably tries to keep this fight standing because he's not afraid to take shots and Dos Anjos hasn't shown the power or technique to knock out someone with a chin like Guida. I think Guida is capable of keeping himself out of trouble but I think Anjos finds a hole in his game and gets the sub.

Dos Anjos by sub Round 3.

Jon "I haven't finished a fight in 3 years" Fitch vs. Thiago "I can't make 170" Alves

The only reason this rematch has been made is to eliminate one of these guys from being a contender and keeping GSP from running through the exact same guys that he did to dominate the division in the first place (Koscheck/Alves/Fitch). A little over a year ago I may have picked Alves to avenge his loss to Fitch but Alves has been hampered by injuries and hasn't fought since the epic UFC 100 last July. Fitch has three fights since then. Alves also failed to make weight again. There are too many questions surrounding him and Fitch has been working hard since losing to GSP to make a comeback...and as much as I hate to acknowledge this, Fitch may very well be the 2nd best 170 lber in the sport.

Fitch (shockingly) by RNC Round 2

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

There's not much to say here except Chael has hyped this fight like I've seen no one else hype a fight in MMA. He's so good at smack talk that he might get an offer from the WWE when his contract is up here. Sonnen only has one weapon: his wrestling. He's never been knocked out but he's terrible at defending subs. He has two ways to win that aren't miracles...consistently taking Anderson down and dominating each round for five rounds or taking Anderson down and using GnP to stop the fight. That being said, I have a better chance at winning a roster spot on the Redskins this season. Anderson has every other advantage in the fight. His striking is solar systems away from Sonnen's, his BJJ is more than capable of catching Sonnen and making him tap, and he's really pissed this time. He can win by KO, sub, or even decision if he feels like extending the pain for 5 rounds. I think Sonnen keeps from getting KO'd though:

Anderson by Sub Round 2