Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I think these two are going to fight soon. Mayhem was on Joe Rogan's podcast last week saying he'd fight Diaz at whatever weight class he wanted.

Strikeforce would be smart to make this match considering all of the buildup.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/26/1588431/nick-diaz-responds-to-jason-mayhem

Mayhem's original comments:

JuwDKZ60DhQ

Nick Diaz on Mayhem's smack talk:

72rdlZW9Xtg

"You got your ass whipped by my boy. I didn't jump you. I didn't throw the first punch anyways. Why don't you watch the tape? ...You charged my whole team, so you got your ass whooped. That's what you get."

"You just run around and you market yourself. You paint your hair, you got that sh*t stripe down the middle of your forehead. ...You have a character, you have to walk around and be that assh*le everyday. That's too bad for you man."

"I don't think you can make my weight class anyways. Why don't you come down to 170 and see what's up. You can't even make weight at 170 so why are you talking sh*t dude?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/426386-nick-diaz-vs-jason-miller-could-it-happen

Nick Diaz never leaves a statement unanswered, does he?

Those of you who, unlike myself, were lucky enough to see Michael "The Voice" Schiavello conduct his "The Voice Vs..." program on HDNet opposite the always-colorful Strikeforce middleweight, Jason "Mayhem" Miller, probably heard his less-than-loving words for Team Cesar Gracie's always hungry welterweight standout and the current Strikeforce Welterweight Champion, Nick Diaz.

Those of you may or may not have heard Nick's equally-not-so-loving response.

Tito and Chuck. BJ and Jens. Rampage and Rashad.

Now Nick and Jason.

Some feuds are just really intense.

I think the only other time I could see Mayhem being this angry is if Schiavello mentioned Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza.

Seriously, Mayhem and Diaz have a really intense dislike for each other ever since Mayhem called out Jake Shields and that infamous incident in Nashville happened.

"Intense dislike" is sugarcoating it, which I usually don't like doing. The tension is starting to reach a boiling point very quickly and I don't see it coming close to cooling out anytime in the near future.

So the logical thing to do would be to speculate what would happen if Mayhem vs. Diaz ever happened in the Strikeforce cage.

I doubt it would matter if there was a shot at the middleweight title at stake, nor do I think it'd matter if Diaz put his welterweight belt on the line.

This one runs a little bit deeper than titles and recognition. This one I think might be about respect more than anything.

Nick and Mayhem, I have to say are pretty well-rounded. Nick is a guy who boxes when he stands and Mayhem is a kickboxer.

Obviously, a brown belt in BJJ you never count out, but Nick's got better BJJ and he's shown that he has good Jiu-Jitsu on the ground.

That's where I see Nick wanting the fight, but who knows if Mayhem might have his own reasons for wanting the fight on the ground.

For a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Miller isn't too bad. Heck, he's actually finished some fights on the ground. Actually, most of his Ws came by way of submission (13 Subs, 5 KO in his career).

Skill-wise, Mayhem could have a good chance of hanging with Nick on the ground and on the feet, though maybe the feet is where Mayhem wants it.

Maybe he could take the legs of Nick out of the equation by kicking them, thus slowing Nick down not only in the movement department, but also in the boxing department.

It's tough to throw and land some good shots when your legs are weakened.

Nick could wear down Mayhem like Shields did and then use his own Jiu-Jitsu to control Mayhem on the ground or to get a choke in on him, but that's just speculation on how it could go.

There's no telling the exact way that the fight would happen.

There's not even any telling if the fight would happen, especially after the brawl and the fact that both couldn't fight for three months.

Those three months are rapidly wrapping up though.

Scott Coker can try to keep them out of each other's paths, but can't ignore the inevitability that this fight will one day happen.

Let 'em loose, Coker. You can't hold them back anymore.

(Photo courtesy of MMA Weekly)

Yeah, they definitely need to make that fight happen. But unfortunately, I doubt CBS is going to let it be on their airwaves after the last Shields-Hendo postfight mess. Which is unfortunate because they could actually market that fight.

I have always had a soft spot for Mayhem for some reason, and if that fight happens, I just may paint a red stripe in my hair. Diaz is the better fighter at this point, but I would certainly be rooting for Miller.

Problem with the heavy weight division is that to be a true heavy weight you have to be huge. Cut weight to be in the division huge. Carwin and Lesnar are the prototypes for the division. Massive humans with freakish strength. Skill matters but without the natural size and strength you rarely will get a chance to apply it. The days of Couture type guys in the HW division are gone.

Jon Jones is big but he's not that big. He fights at 205 and cuts weight to get there. The HW champ fights at 265 and cuts weight to get there. A 60 pound different is a huge difference. To put that in perspective it's more weight than the jump from LW (155) to LHW (205) which is a 50 pound difference.

Well Couture actually held his own against Brock in the first round of their fight. Using the cage, the clinch and some dirty boxing to back Brock off. Problem is, the dude is in his mid-40's, I mean that could be a big reason why he is done in the HW division. Plus he was kind of strong-armed into the fight by Dana before he was ready because Dana wanted the belt on Brock.

Velasquez is big, not Brock/Carwin big, but he probably has twice the skills of either guy. Should be a very interesting matchup.

Velasquez is big, not Brock/Carwin big, but he probably has twice the skills of either guy. Should be a very interesting matchup.

He's a complete fighter too. Will be interesting to see how his skill matches up to Brock's power, iron chin, and quickness.

Yeah, they definitely need to make that fight happen. But unfortunately, I doubt CBS is going to let it be on their airwaves after the last Shields-Hendo postfight mess. Which is unfortunate because they could actually market that fight.

I have always had a soft spot for Mayhem for some reason, and if that fight happens, I just may paint a red stripe in my hair. Diaz is the better fighter at this point, but I would certainly be rooting for Miller.

I like Mayhem too but of course I'm a Nick Diaz homer so I'd like to see Diaz put him away.

But I do enjoy watching Miller fight. He's a different kind of character for sure. He always reminded me of Rampage with his act and all, and I actually read the other day that they knew each other growing up. And apparently both of them are big-time Pro wrestling fans.

Nice videos QBK...Bet the house on Diaz if Mayhem can somehow cut 15 more pounds. I'd bet on him at middleweight as well. I really just want to see Nick in the UFC. :(

I bet that when (and I guess if) Strikeforce eventually goes under, that the UFC will grab both Nick Diaz and Mayhem.

He's a complete fighter too. Will be interesting to see how his skill matches up to Brock's power, iron chin, and quickness.

I wouldn't call Brock's chin iron. He's been rocked pretty good in his last three fights. He does have steel resolve however. Always finding a way to come through no matter what.

I bet that when (and I guess if) Strikeforce eventually goes under, that the UFC will grab both Nick Diaz and Mayhem

That would be nice. I thought that Dana stated that Nick would never be back in the UFC, but I guess I was wrong as I looked up a handful of articles that stated that it would be possibility...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19339/ufc-president-dana-white-still-interested-in-strikeforces-nick-diaz.mma

As for Mayhem, I don't see it happening. He likes the freedom of fighting in different organizations, and I don't blame his as he is a star in Japan. I read an article with him a few months back and he said that he would not fight under an exclusive contract. And I think there were some contract issues in his first go around with the UFC.

That would be nice. I thought that Dana stated that Nick would never be back in the UFC, but I guess I was wrong as I looked up a handful of articles that stated that it would be possibility...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19339/ufc-president-dana-white-still-interested-in-strikeforces-nick-diaz.mma

As for Mayhem, I don't see it happening. He likes the freedom of fighting in different organizations, and I don't blame his as he is a star in Japan. I read an article with him a few months back and he said that he would not fight under an exclusive contract. And I think there were some contract issues in his first go around with the UFC.

On Joe Rogan's podcast that I mentioned earlier (the Joe Rogan Experience) Mayhem said that he loves fighting in japan but when Rogan asked him about the UFC he said he'd love to fight for them but he wasn't sure how Dana felt about him.

I definitely think Dana would take back Diaz. He's improved a lot as a fighter and has a pretty good fanbase. And if he does 't suspend Nate for the Mayhem brawl, then I don't think he'd have a problem with Nick.

On Joe Rogan's podcast that I mentioned earlier (the Joe Rogan Experience) Mayhem said that he loves fighting in japan but when Rogan asked him about the UFC he said he'd love to fight for them but he wasn't sure how Dana felt about him.

That's interesting...I did not know that.

Thank God for August. This is going to be a huge month for the future of MMA. Any of the favorites lose their big fights, and it will change the landscape significantly. Couture getting knocked out by Toney wouldn't just be an uncomfortably gigantic setback, it would really be the most highlighted moment in Randy Couture's career. It's a terrible fact: it would be his defining moment...a loss.

Jon Jones loses tonight? Forget the hype train derailing, it would be thrown off the tracks by a tornado. For all his unreal technique, Jones has some things to tighten up, and cage experience does wonders. The UFC is 100% correct for taking it slow with him. I'm not guaranteeing the absolute dominance everyone anticipates from Jones...especially in that ever-improving division. He should be one of the top fighters in a couple years, but if he loses tonight...wow, is he popular enough for Sherdog to crash? Perhaps not yet...

BJ Penn losing a rematch for his belt would be outrageous. It just seems like that's his division. It was a formality to defend his belt, much like Anderson at Middleweight. If he loses this and has to fight a couple 3 rounders while Edgar defends the title against Florian or Maynard...jeez, wake me up when the dream is over. I will say though, it's pretty cool to finally have a belt trade hands outside of the two heavy divisions.

And if Sonnen beats Silva...not only will pigs fly, but I will throw a party on Sunday in celebration.

Anyway, without further ado...my picks for UFC on Versus 2: Let me mop this up for you.

Tyson Griffin vs. Takanori Gomi: I see a lot of trading in this fight without these two being able to hurt each other. Gomi will throw too many huge right hands that will whiff...he gets tired and loses the last two rounds.

Griffin, Unanimous Decision.

Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami: Hard to gauge Munoz at this point, he gets blasted by Hamill, comes back and does well against a few lower-tiered guys...gets handled early against Grove...then finishes him. I just think Okami is too steady of a performer to pass up betting on him.

Okami, Unanimous Decision.

Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko: I expect Vlad to push for a takedown right away. He has to be on the offensive side of the wrestling at all times. The fight is over if he lands on his back, and he certainly would be wise to avoid striking with Jon. Puncher's chance.

Jon Jones, TKO G&P, round 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Josh Howard vs. Jake Ellenberger: howard seems to embrace snatching victory from defeat. he doesn't do anything particularly well, but he has dynamite in his hands and seems to land the kill shot at just the right moment. ellenberger has more skills and should win, but howard wont make it easy.

Ellenberger by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Tyson Griffin vs. Takanori Gomi: gomi could land that bomb, but its doubtful. griffin is the better technical striker, and he uses variation. at this stage of their careers, griffin's wrestling is better as well. should be entertaining at least.

Griffin by Unanimous Decision

Yushin Okami vs. Mark Munoz: munoz has power on the feet, but very little defensive technique. okami, while not a great striker, is good enough to make a guy with bad defense look stupid. okami has had problems with strong wrestlers before, but munoz wrestling pedigree hasn't transitioned that well to mma. if munoz remembers that he was once an ncaa champ, he might be able to grind out a decision. i'll say that munoz gasses midway through the 2nd and okami finishes in the 3rd.

Okami by (T)KO, round 3

Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko: the janitor has been around mma forever, but even he hasn't seen something quite like jones. obviously vlad's gameplan will be to pressure jones and somehow secure a takedown. bones' physical gifts make that an extremely hard task. getting inside without being picked off by jones' 84" reach will be difficult. then even if vlad is fortunate to make inside the reach of jones, he has to be aware of being thrown on his ass by one of jones' throws. vladimir is good enough that if jones is sleeping on this fight, vladimire will win. jones seems completely focused though, and its hard to quantify how much better he's gotten since his destruction of vera. bottom line, jones has too many weapons and ways to win this fight.

Jones by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Edited by StillUnknown

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20124/alan-belcher-out-of-ufc-fight-night-22-main-event-with-detached-retina.mma

Next month's UFC Fight Night 22 event has lost its headlining fight.

Alan Belcher (16-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC), a rising middleweight contender who campaigned for a fight with Demian Maia (12-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC), had to pull of his the Sept. 15 matchup with the Brazilian fighter due to a detached retina in his right eye.

Belcher today posted the news via Twitter.

UFC Fight Night 22, which precedes the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 12, takes place at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas, and airs on Spike TV.

A source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a search is underway for a replacement fighter.

According to Belcher, he began losing vision in his right eye, consulted doctors and recently underwent surgery in Alabama. He's now prohibited from contact sparring for six weeks, though he said he hopes to attend UFC Fight Night 22.

"Sorry to the UFC and Demian Maia," Belcher wrote. "I know he has been training specifically for me. Sorry to my fans, as well."

I'm gonna buy Anderson Silva's MMA Training Video.

It's only $19.95

You gotta see this ****

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVQtkATSc1o&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVQtkATSc1o&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by Mickalino