Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

It's kind of hard to believe the James Toney stuff, considering we all heard the same hype once Kimbo started training after being signed by UFC, and we all saw what he actually turned out to be like in the ring.

Lets just say, we'll believe it when we see it.

Lets not forget, this is the UFC, Zuffa production. They know there is a big risk here with this fight, for many reasons....so regardless of the outcome, they want to make sure to get the most business out of this as possible.

This story could be 100% true, or it could just be another great example of the incredible hype job that UFC is capable of doing.

Just wait for the countdown show..

Rogan,

"This is the fight the fans have been waiting forever to see"

"James Toney presents and interesting challenge because"

"I can't wait for this fight because...."

All typical lines he says before any and every fight on a countdown show...lol.

It's kind of hard to believe the James Toney stuff, considering we all heard the same hype once Kimbo started training after being signed by UFC, and we all saw what he actually turned out to be like in the ring.

Lets just say, we'll believe it when we see it.

Lets not forget, this is the UFC, Zuffa production. They know there is a big risk here with this fight, for many reasons....so regardless of the outcome, they want to make sure to get the most business out of this as possible.

This story could be 100% true, or it could just be another great example of the incredible hype job that UFC is capable of doing.

Just wait for the countdown show..

Rogan,

"This is the fight the fans have been waiting forever to see"

"James Toney presents and interesting challenge because"

"I can't wait for this fight because...."

All typical lines he says before any and every fight on a countdown show...lol.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. A guy training for a few months in grappling isn't going to be able to submit a guy with two decades of experience wrestling and grappling.

It would be like people hyping Couture's boxing and saying that he may outbox and KO Toney.

the slam occurs around the 5:08 mark

Nice slam. That's two KO slams in the last few weeks. Kaufman's right, she needs to be put on bigger cards.

Chael Sonnen is out of his mind, but I can't help but appreciate his calling out of Anderson's piece of **** "attack me with strikes or I'm not fighting" deal. I can't stand Anderson Silva...he's a brilliant counter striker...no question about it. It has to be amazing to watch that for any MMA fan. Doesn't mean I'm a fan by any means.

The insanity of Sonnen is nothing compared to the abominations Silva has put on. Some fighters are crazy in the head, so what? Silva is a thief. I hope Sonnen somehow beats him, but the chances seem very low.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

One of my favorite Sonnen quotes about Silva. "He's got a black belt under the Nogueira brothers. I think a black belt under the Nogueira brothers is like saying, 'I got a free toy in my happy meal.'

i'm pretty certain sonnen's been subbed by someone who received a blackbelt from a McDojo

Chael Sonnen is out of his mind, but I can't help but appreciate his calling out of Anderson's piece of **** "attack me with strikes or I'm not fighting" deal. I can't stand Anderson Silva...he's a brilliant counter striker...no question about it. It has to be amazing to watch that for any MMA fan. Doesn't mean I'm a fan by any means.

The insanity of Sonnen is nothing compared to the abominations Silva has put on. Some fighters are crazy in the head, so what? Silva is a thief. I hope Sonnen somehow beats him, but the chances seem very low.

Totally agree. I also admire the fact that Sonnen is willing to say, "Hey I don't care who this guy is and I'm gonna come after him." Everyone who fights Silva has already lost the mental battle when the contract is signed. Maybe Chael will inspire Silva to come after him, which will lead to more opportunities for Sonnen offensively.

Or maybe Spider will just murder him in 30 seconds. :silly:

Totally agree. I also admire the fact that Sonnen is willing to say, "Hey I don't care who this guy is and I'm gonna come after him." Everyone who fights Silva has already lost the mental battle when the contract is signed. Maybe Chael will inspire Silva to come after him, which will lead to more opportunities for Sonnen offensively.

Or maybe Spider will just murder him in 30 seconds. :silly:

After Silva's in-cage temper tantrum against maia when he felt "disrespected", I can't really blame Sonnen for going after him in the war of words. Silva's an amazing physical talent, but does anyone know how mentally tough he is? When was the last time he was in a war in the ring against a guy that not only disrespects him, but does so without fear of reprisals? We all know Silva is leaps and bounds ahead of Chael, so maybe he's just looking for an angle nobody's tried yet. Make Silva come into the ring focused less on winning and sticking to a gameplan, and more on going after Chael.

Don't get me wrong, it will fail. Regardless though, I'm sure Dana appreciates his efforts. Honestly, without this **** talking, would anyone even give a crap about this fight?

30Ujz5sCS3k

6:25 of this video is just freaky :ols:

2008 Olympian, Freestyle & Folkstyle Wrestling/ MMA super prospect, 2x NCAA Champion, & 2x Hodge Trophy Winner Ben Askren rolls with Marcelo Garcia.

"Ben Askren: Gonna roll with Marcelo Garcia tomorrow in NYC it shoudl be awesome.
Posted on Tuesday at 10:47pm — May 11th, 2010

Jordan Blevins: Holy crap! Awesome indeed. I can't wait to see/hear more about this. Good luck man. Protect yo neck!
Posted Yesterday at 12:54am — May 12th, 2010

Ben Askren: Wow that was humbling, at one point Marcelo had both my arms trapped behind my back with both his legs, then proceeded to use both hands against my face to get the rear naked. The dude is amazing!!!
Posted 8 hours ago — May 13th, 2010

Jordan Blevins: I told you to protect yo neck!
Posted 3 hours ago — May 13th, 2010

Ben Askren: I usually do protect my neck really well, but I could not believe some of the **** he was doing."

Man, August is looking like butta for the UFC. Anybody feeling any particular upsets in this upcoming month?

Jones vs. Matyushenko: A lot of people are citing that Vlad is flying under the radar, but I feel like betting the mortgage on Jones here. And we all know what that means...upset alert.

Roy Nelson vs. JDS: JDS is on a roll, but Nelson is fat. Logic. I'm real tempted to pick the upset here.

Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn: Gotta lean towards BJ here because it's virtually inconceivable to imagine Frankie finishing him. 5 MORE rounds and BJ doesn't figure you out? You survived 10 rounds against BJ Penn? I'll believe it when I see it. That said, BJ wasn't close to finishing Frankie, either. Hmm... I love how BJ turns in to a destroyer after losses. I'll assume he's trained like a man possessed and takes the belt away from Edgar early in the fight.

Couture/Toney: Bah, the thing that worries me here is Randy's speed. Lately he's been a super-methodical fighter that stalls fights for subtle positioning. If he stalls against the cage and slips up once I can see Toney putting him to bed with a slick uppercut or something of that ilk. Just go for a freakin' leg, Randy. The more I think about this fight the more I worry. This fight can't pass soon enough.

Anderson went a little too far against Maia, but I don't blame him for his style. He is the champ. You have to go take that belt from him. Just look at the Fedor-Werdum fight. It doesn't make any sense to jump into someone else's world.

I hope Sonnen is a man of his word and takes the fight to Silva. I also hope the ref doesn't mess the finish of this one up. No early stoppages. Can't leave any window for Sonnen to find an excuse.

It's too bad Franklin is at 205 now. I would love to see a school teacher kick Sonnen's ass next.

I do love his **** talking though. Doing a hell of a job selling the fight and himself for that matter. He's a smart dude.

Edited by Sebowski

Man, August is looking like butta for the UFC. Anybody feeling any particular upsets in this upcoming month?

Jones vs. Matyushenko: A lot of people are citing that Vlad is flying under the radar, but I feel like betting the mortgage on Jones here. And we all know what that means...upset alert.

Roy Nelson vs. JDS: JDS is on a roll, but Nelson is fat. Logic. I'm real tempted to pick the upset here.

Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn: Gotta lean towards BJ here because it's virtually inconceivable to imagine Frankie finishing him. 5 MORE rounds and BJ doesn't figure you out? You survived 10 rounds against BJ Penn? I'll believe it when I see it. That said, BJ wasn't close to finishing Frankie, either. Hmm... I love how BJ turns in to a destroyer after losses. I'll assume he's trained like a man possessed and takes the belt away from Edgar early in the fight.

Couture/Toney: Bah, the thing that worries me here is Randy's speed. Lately he's been a super-methodical fighter that stalls fights for subtle positioning. If he stalls against the cage and slips up once I can see Toney putting him to bed with a slick uppercut or something of that ilk. Just go for a freakin' leg, Randy. The more I think about this fight the more I worry. This fight can't pass soon enough.

I can definitely see some upsets there. I've got great seats for the Versus show so I hope the Janitor at least makes it interesting.

Nelson has a great shot against Santos. His ground game is a good as anyone in the division. He just needs to get the fight there.

BJ needs a new gameplan. He should go for the takedowns and initiate clinches. He run around the cage and try to win a point boxing match with Frankie.

Randy better not mess around for a second with Toney. Takedown and start pounding. Rinse, repeat.

Anderson went a little too far against Maia, but I don't blame him for his style. He is the champ. You have to go take that belt from him. Just look at the Fedor-Werdum fight. It doesn't make any sense to jump into someone else's world.

I'm not asking Anderson to jump in to Maia's guard, I'm asking him to fight. It works both ways, why let Anderson counter strike when that's his world? To take the belt away? Sounds more like letting him keep it.

That dude has made me furious twice and prevented me from ordering a pay per view that he's on. That's right, I don't want to pay $10 to split a PPV card that the P4P best fighter is on. The Leites thing was both of their faults, but let's not pretend Leites falling on his back was the only ridiculousness of that fight. Silva sits back and waits for people to attack him, and even when they finally get the courage to do so, he angles away if no mistakes are made by his opponents.

He's so good at defense and countering that you have to get the fighting equivalent of Foghorn Leghorn and Yosemite Sam against him to get anything exciting to happen. I'm sorry, but he spit on everybody who paid great money on three separate occasions. I don't buy this "playing it safe" BS. Yeah, right, like the guy doesn't know how to hurt people who have only been striking for a few years.

He's a narcissistic, stuck-up, self-centered bull****ting thief who could care less about being a part of the sport's golden age of growth. He lies, avoids taking any responsibility for his inexplicable bore-fests. The only thing I can appreciate about Anderson Silva is when he fights someone who has brass balls and little instinct. He can counter like nobody else. That said, **** him.

Meh... I like Spider Silva and I don't find his fights boring at all. Let's look at his last 10:

Demian Maia

Forrest Griffin

Thales Leites

Patrick Côté

James Irvin

Dan Henderson

Rich Franklin

Nate Marquardt

Travis Lutter

Rich Franklin

Of those ten fights the worst were Maia, Leites, and Cote. All three guys refused to fight Silva and instead wanted to get to the ground by any means necessary including sitting their on their back refusing to stand up. Lutter was a ground guy as well but he took the fight to Silva (and had good position for a while). These last three however forgot their balls in the dressing room and Silva getting annoyed with it which frankly is understandable. Silva's first priority is rightly to WIN not entertain. He'd be stupid to flop into someone's guard that stands no chance of winning any other way.

Silva's first priority is rightly to WIN not entertain.

(Cote wasn't really trying to get it to the ground, he just wasn't good enough on the feet. the only reason he lasted long enough to blow out his knee is because his chin is basically the opposite of what Chuck's is now. i pretty much agree with everything else you said)

part of me actually wants Silva to clown around to another win just to see if dana would follow through on his promise and cut him :ols:

although if dana did cut him, its puts MMA on a path closer to entertainment than actual sport

Edited by StillUnknown

although if dana did cut him, its puts MMA on a path closer to entertainment than actual sport

Agreed. These guys aren't clowns in a circus. They're there to win by whatever strategy gives them the best chance to do so. Truth is if they want Silva's belt they need to go in there and beat him... that means if they want to fight on the ground they start to by taking Silva down. If they can't do that they need to stand with him.