Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'd understand the strength of this card if was inserted in between a bunch of shows within a tight schedule...but that isn't the case. It being free doesn't take away from the fact that it's the only show between September and November. We're basically getting a Fight Night card to get us through a 2 month downtime.

Fine if it's just a card thrown in between a bunch of other events. Wouldn't be surprised if they slide a Fight Night card in there somewhere.

Just a week after this free show:

mmaweekly

Lesnar and Velasquez are on a collision course on October 23 in Anaheim.

Don't ever question The Dana (or me) again.

Just a week after this free show:

mmaweekly

Lesnar and Velasquez are on a collision course on October 23 in Anaheim.

Don't ever question The Dana (or me) again.

That's real smart, never question Dana White. Why would anybody do that? :jerk:

My last post was made before they moved UFC 121 back a few weeks to compensate for that piece of **** show you are so excited about. Seriously, why don't they just have UFC 121 in December? We shouldn't question them at all. Ommmm, Ommmm, bow to the bald master.

I still don't understand what hypothetical events in China and Australia (which may not happen for another couple years) has to do with the present day...where there is enough talent for Bisping and Akiyama to not headline a card. Even if it's free...hell, even if they're paying us to watch.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Aoki owned Kawajiri in under 2minutes

another ankle for Aoki's mantle

aoki said he's rematching Melendez at Dream 16 in september

I think Melendez will work him over again.

Mousasi beat Jake O'Brien 0:31 into the 1st with a guillotine, so much for any weight advantage he may have. :laugh:

Accoring to wiki, O'Brien also had to cough up 10 percent of his purse and start out with a yellow card.

Aoiki vs. Melendez rematch. Melendez will probably prove too much for Aoiki again.

December card shaping up nicely

i think melendez will beat him again, but damn fighting Aoki has to be a scary experience. you know he can't bust grape with his punch, but he apparently has a death grip and if he gets a hold of any limb, its pretty much over

it was kinda funny seeing him without the rainbow tights in Japan though. maybe he had to prove to himself he could win without them :ols:

That's real smart, never question Dana White. Why would anybody do that? :jerk:

My last post was made before they moved UFC 121 back a few weeks to compensate for that piece of **** show you are so excited about. Seriously, why don't they just have UFC 121 in December? We shouldn't question them at all. Ommmm, Ommmm, bow to the bald master.

I still don't understand what hypothetical events in China and Australia (which may not happen for another couple years) has to do with the present day...where there is enough talent for Bisping and Akiyama to not headline a card. Even if it's free...hell, even if they're paying us to watch.

Where would this sport be without Dana White? He might not be perfect, but he's as close as it gets for me for what he does. I'll take him over Goddell, Selig, Stern, or anyone else. MMA is where it is today because of him.

The future events in China and Australia along with hearing plans for TUFs in other countries are a glimpse into the long term plan for the UFC. They will have fights every week one day. The free ones will look like free ones. I'm just happy to have them. I will never complain about a free card. You were orignally mad at the card because of the UFC drought around it. There are 7 Zuffa events from August 1st until October 1st.

7!!!!!!!!!!!

2 months, 7 events.

- UFC ON VERSUS 2: AUGUST 1 IN SAN DIEGO

- UFC 117: AUGUST 7 IN OAKLAND

- WEC 50: AUGUST 18 IN LAS VEGAS

- UFC 118: AUGUST 28 IN BOSTON

- UFC FIGHT NIGHT 22: SEPTEMBER 15 IN TEXAS

- UFC 119: SEPTEMBER 25 IN INDIANAPOLIS

- WEC 51: SEPTEMBER 30 IN COLORADO

Then only a couple weeks until 2 back to back weeks of UFC.

Where would this sport be without Dana White? He might not be perfect, but he's as close as it gets for me for what he does. I'll take him over Goddell, Selig, Stern, or anyone else. MMA is where it is today because of him.

The future events in China and Australia along with hearing plans for TUFs in other countries are a glimpse into the long term plan for the UFC. They will have fights every week one day. The free ones will look like free ones. I'm just happy to have them. I will never complain about a free card. You were orignally mad at the card because of the UFC drought around it. There are 7 Zuffa events from August 1st until October 1st.

7!!!!!!!!!!!

2 months, 7 events.

- UFC ON VERSUS 2: AUGUST 1 IN SAN DIEGO

- UFC 117: AUGUST 7 IN OAKLAND

- WEC 50: AUGUST 18 IN LAS VEGAS

- UFC 118: AUGUST 28 IN BOSTON

- UFC FIGHT NIGHT 22: SEPTEMBER 15 IN TEXAS

- UFC 119: SEPTEMBER 25 IN INDIANAPOLIS

- WEC 51: SEPTEMBER 30 IN COLORADO

Then only a couple weeks until 2 back to back weeks of UFC.

Everyone is aware that MMA is having an epic flux in America these days, which is why I'm still kind of stunned that those two fighters are headlining a numbered card. They are still stroking Britain hard for Bisping. It's almost a mockery.

Relative to the pace and strength of the shows we've seen from Zuffa for the past several years, it was baffling that all we'd see over a 2 month span was Bisping vs. Akiyama. In my haste I judged the surrounding drought around the card to be permanent. Think about it...you just cited 7 shows over a 2 month span. There (would have) been a 2 month span with one show that mimics a Fight Night that had a bunch of injury replacements.

I'm a huge fan of the sport, I like it more than football quite honestly, but to me that card is like spending a Saturday night watching the Browns play the Seahawks. That game is free as well, but I choose not to watch it because it simply has no implications. Sure, it's professional football like Bisping vs. Akiyama is professional fighting, but jeez, I could sit around half my life trying to peep at every professional fight that takes place. I will pass on that card if it doesn't shape up.

How about installing Machida on that card?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Varner-Cerrone-2-Targeted-for-WEC-51-25651

As far as rematches go, this one has been about a year-and-a-half in the making.

The long awaited second showdown between Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner is in the works for the not-yet-announced WEC 51 on Sept. 30 at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, Colo.

Sherdog.com has learned that at least one of the top-ranked lightweights has verbally agreed to the bout, according to sources in the fighter’s camp.

Varner and Cerrone first met at WEC 38 in January 2009, with Varner retaining his lightweight championship through a controversial split decision. The "Cowboy" landed an illegal knee to the side of Varner's head as the Arizona Combat Sports fighter got to his feet during the fifth round of their title bout. Varner was unable to continue, so the fight was scored from that point. While Varner escaped with his title, many felt that Cerrone was the stronger fighter as the bout advanced into its later stages.

After the fight it was revealed that Varner suffered a broken foot, a lesion in his eye -- which left his vision blurry for about six weeks -- and a broken hand that required two reconstructive surgeries to repair.

The two fighters waged a public war of words while Varner was shelved for nearly a year. In the meantime, Cerrone lost a closely contested interim title bout to Ben Henderson that touted as one of the best fights of 2009.

When Varner returned from injury, he suffered a third-round submission loss to Henderson in a lightweight title unification bout at WEC 46 in January. Cerrone was unable to claim the title and avenge his earlier loss to Henderson at WEC 48, falling victim to a first-round guillotine choke in the promotion's first ever pay-per-view event.

Now that Henderson seems to be firmly entrenched atop the 155-pound heap in the WEC, Varner and Cerrone are left to handle unfinished business.

Varner continues to be a magnet for controversy: His latest bout was a foul-marred contest with Kamal Shalorus at WEC 49 that ended in a draw, a decision Varner disputed immediately after the match. Varner owns wins over Sherron Leggett, former champion Rob McCullough and Marcus Hicks, as well as Cerrone in his WEC career. Prior to that he fought twice in the UFC, losing to Hermes Franca and defeating Jason Gilliam.

Cerrone owns victories over Danny Castillo, McCullough, James Krause and Ed Ratcliff during his WEC tenure.

WEC 51 will be headlined featherweight champion Jose Aldo's second title defense against "Ultimate Fighter" veteran Manny Gamburyan and former bantamweight champion Miguel Torres' return to the Octagon against Charlie Valencia. Leonard Garcia, Cerrone's teammate at Jackson's MMA in Albuquerque, N.M., is also scheduled to meet fellow striker Mark Hominick.

WEC 51 will air live on Versus.

I'm a huge fan of the sport, I like it more than football quite honestly, but to me that card is like spending a Saturday night watching the Browns play the Seahawks. That game is free as well, but I choose not to watch it because it simply has no implications. Sure, it's professional football like Bisping vs. Akiyama is professional fighting, but jeez, I could sit around half my life trying to peep at every professional fight that takes place. I will pass on that card if it doesn't shape up.

How about installing Machida on that card?

1,000 times better than a strikeforce showtime card or anything Bellator has put together. Do you look forward to those?

1,000 times better than a strikeforce showtime card or anything Bellator has put together. Do you look forward to those?

Hey now the Strikeforce: Houston August 21st card is looking pretty good by their standards.

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante - Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Title Fight

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Tim Kennedy - Strikeforce Middleweight Title Fight

Sergei Kharitonov vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva

KJ Noons vs. Jorge Gurgel

Bobby Lashley vs. TBA

I'm not sure if anyone had heard the news that Strikeforce signed former PRIDE heavyweight fighter Sergei Kharitonov. I know he didn't look that good his last couple fights but I'm interested to see how much he has improved since joining Overeem's team at Golden Glory who I'm sure put a word in for him.

Hey now the Strikeforce: Houston August 21st card is looking pretty good by their standards.

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante - Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Title Fight

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Tim Kennedy - Strikeforce Middleweight Title Fight

Sergei Kharitonov vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva

KJ Noons vs. Jorge Gurgel

Bobby Lashley vs. TBA

I'm not sure if anyone had heard the news that Strikeforce signed former PRIDE heavyweight fighter Sergei Kharitonov. I know he didn't look that good his last couple fights but I'm interested to see how much he has improved since joining Overeem's team at Golden Glory who I'm sure put a word in for him.

Lashley has been matched up with this TBA guy quite a bit recently.

The problem with Strikeforce is that their cards that look great on paper, don't feel that great at the end of the night. But some of their shows that don't look that good have been very good. Like the recent card headlined by Babalu-Lawler. The UFC has the some problem at times, but...they are the UFC.

For Chachie :D

You are a special man, 98. :)

How can any MMA fan not love this kid? Leebs is an open book, no matter how each chapter ends.

I think I might take the crazy-eyed pre-third round crowd gestures...unless Chachie wants it.

Until the Wandy fight at least. When the Axe Murgerer comes to town, that red haired freak is getting the boot! :D

I don't do gifs for sigs so absolutely, Toast. Have at it. For the record I won't know who to root for in that fight but I have to say that the current incarnation of Wandy Silva may not be able to withstand the Cripplaaaah! :)

Lashley has been matched up with this TBA guy quite a bit recently.

The problem with Strikeforce is that their cards that look great on paper, don't feel that great at the end of the night. But some of their shows that don't look that good have been very good. Like the recent card headlined by Babalu-Lawler. The UFC has the some problem at times, but...they are the UFC.

i heard TBA has a mean right hook, ground game needs work though

coming soon to Strikeforce: TBA vs. Unknown Fighter

Edited by StillUnknown

I don't do gifs for sigs so absolutely, Toast. Have at it. For the record I won't know who to root for in that fight but I have to say that the current incarnation of Wandy Silva may not be able to withstand the Cripplaaaah! :)

Man I really want to see that fight get official ASAP. I'm sure that I'll pull for Wand but I really like what Leben's doing right now. I wouldn't be too sad if he won. :pfft:

i heard TBA has a mean right hook, ground game needs work though

coming soon to Strikeforce: TBA vs. Unknown Fighter

:ols:

I also wanted to point out that Jon Fitch was wrong when he said that the closed guard in MMA is dead.

Leben subbed Akiyama from the closed guard and Werdum made pigs fly from it (even if it was only a closed guard for a second).