Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Carwin made a HUGE tactical error in the first round. His inexperience with long wars came back to bite him. He threw dozens of punches in to Brock's gloves while his power and endurance diminished like a video game stamina bar was sinking in front of our eyes. Why? He got anxious, it was probably because he didn't know any better. He kept working and working and working...unbelievable tactical error. In my eyes, he gave the fight away. He should have worked for position, caught his breath, and unloaded 1-1-2's or heavy head shots when the opportunity presented itself.

Carwin lost that fight at the end of the first round. All the credit to Brock, I can only be a fan of those who love the game enough to learn it as fast as he has.

Good luck on topping that.

UFC 116 = Card of the Year, no doubt.

That was just absurd how each fight lived up to and in most cases far exceeded expectations. I'll never criticize a card again for not having enough names or fights with title ramifications on it.

Lesnar has to be the toughest man on the planet to eat those shots from Carwin and come back to tap him like that. As much as that shocked me, I was even more surprised at him actually being humble in his post-fight interview.

Everything you just stated I agree with. Especially the last part. Near death humbles a man.

For anyone curious...

$75,000 fight-night bonuses:

- Fight of the Night: Chris Leben vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama

- Fight of the Night: Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

- Submission of the Night: Brock Lesnar

- Knockout of the Night: Gerald Harris

Carwin punched himself out of the fight, poor guy.

I suspect he'll learn from that and come back, he had his chances in this fight.

I had loot on Lesnar so I'm happy with the outcome, but Carwin could have easily won that fight had he not thrown so many punches.

:2cents:

Yeah, he tired himself out. The issue is that every time in previous fights he's been in that position with another fighter on the ground he's been able to end it with that kind of attack. Lesnar is just a really tough dude.

Gotta give Brock credit, not just for the heart and toughness of taking those shots, but each time the ref was starting to edge in and thinking about ending it, Lesnar would either catch a wrist or two and stop the punches for a few seconds or he would get his leg up and push Carwin back off to buy himself some time. You could see the punches getting slower and slower and by the end Carwin was just lightly (by his standards...heh) throwing against Lesnar's huge arms and doing no damage. Lesnar was never in a position in that fight like Mir was against Carwin where it was just clearly over.

He ended the round on his feet with Carwin pinned against the cage, not on his back getting smacked in the face. He definitely lost the round but I don't think he was ever out of it enough to justify a stoppage.

Near death humbles a man.

For a minute, I thought you meant in regards to this fight. Now I realize you literally meant near death. I don't think Brock is the ****y guy everyone thinks/thought he was. He was pissed at Mir and his emotions poured out. He clearly doesn't like the guy. I think that's part of what happened with his post fight tirade versus him.

I've seen him being respectful to every one of his opponents otherwise.

Yeah, he tired himself out. The issue is that every time in previous fights he's been in that position with another fighter on the ground he's been able to end it with that kind of attack. Lesnar is just a really tough dude.

You know why I respect the hell out of Carwin and I'll be cheering him on (as long as he's not fighting Brock :))?

This is a quote for ESPN from Carwin:

"I was going after the kill there," Carwin said. "Brock's a tough son of a *****, man. He took that ground-and-pound like nobody else. I tightened up. My hat's off to him. He's the champion. I fell down the mountain, but I'll climb back up."

I think he's got a shot to take Brock out in the future. But for now Brock is no longer the 'Next Big Thing'. He's simply the undisputed heavyweight champion.

I don't think Brock is the ****y guy everyone thinks/thought he was.

He's not.

He does not like Frank Mir. Period. Can't say I disagree with Brock on that. Brock is super intense in athletics and when he's competing, he rubs a lot of people the wrong way, like lots of wrestlers actually do. Everyone I know who's met/trained with/taught with Brock say he's actually a cool guy, he's just ridiculously intense when he's competing.

As for the Mir fight, I didn't like that Brock went up to Mir and got in his face afterward at all. But the victory speech, well, that is one of my most favorite victory speeches ever, hilarious.

As for Carwin, I can't wait for the rematch. Carwin will learn from his mistakes and it's going to be a blast to watch. I have a lot of respect for that guy.

The fight was very entertaining and both fighters came out of the fight, looking improved and with their stock rising, however both of them showed flaws in their game/technique. I would definately say both are among the best in the world.

Putting the entertainment value of the fight aside, both fighters showed this fight was not to determine the "best heavyweight in the world" rather it was merely to crown the UFC HW champ, and move each guy up the ranks.

For starters, Brock does not know what to do when he gets hit. As soon as Carwin laid a glove on him, Brock retreated and looked like a deer in headlights. He let himself get taken down and put into a position so dangerous that the fight was within a half second of being stopped several times. Props to the ref for recognizing this was a title fight and not stopping it. Had it not been a title fight, I say it would have been stopped.

Carwin, the dude spent his load and gassed out. Once he had Brock on the bottom and it was apparent Brock wouldn't be going anywhere for awhile, Carwin should have backed off the wild haymakers into Brock's forearms and went for more precise strikes. Maybe some shots to the body in order to make Brock drop his hands. Instead he spent all his energy on shots that weren't connecting on their intended target. Even with that said though, Carwin could have arguably been given a 10-8 round, because besides Brock's initial takedown attempt, which I am not sure if it is considered a takedown, because both guys got their arms hooked and fell side-by-side and both immediately got up.

With that said, the fight was very fun and entertaining, it should please everyone, no matter which guy you were rooting for. I have new respect for both fighters coming out of the fight. I just don't want to lose sight and perspective.

Brock vs. Cain should be interesting. Cain is a better technical fighter than either one, but I am not sure if there is anyone in the division besides Carwin that can match Brock's strength. And I know strength isn't the most important thing ever, but when one has that big of an advantage it tends to mean more. Cain is the complete package. He can wrestle, strike, submit, GnP etc etc....dude uses leg kicks to set up his strikes. So far Brock has shown that once he gets on top of you the fight is going to be over soon, whether it is by TKO or now even by submission. That right there is a distinct advantage for Brock no matter who he fights.

As far as Carwin goes, I see him landing the winner of Nelson/Dos Santos for a #1 contenders match. After the Brock/Carwin match, I am sure fans are pining for a rematch, and I don't see anyone besides Carwin right now that is a "one-win away from" type of guy.

Edited by NoCalMike

Until someone beats Lesnar, gotta go with him. Yeah yeah, I know that Mir won their first fight, but he didn't really beat him. It was a case of an inexperienced fighter losing focus while beating someone he was better than and giving up a stupid submission, something he clearly fixed in their second fight.

I still think Carwin is the biggest threat to Lesnar, the rematch will be epic if Carwin improves his cardio.

Having said that, you could run that tournament through six times and get six different winners and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Well since Dos Santos is fighting Roy, you could add Roy and either Mir or Rogers and make it a 10 man tourny.

Do some coinflips to set up brackets. Is the tourny to face Brock for the belt, or does Brock have to go through the tourny as well?

For starters, Brock does not know what to do when he gets hit. As soon as Carwin laid a glove on him, Brock retreated and looked like a deer in headlights.

Your comments seem to be lacking something obvious. Brock is the only one that ever took those hits and didn't take a quick nap as a result. There are things you should do when you get hit... and all of those things go right out the window if you get hit hard enough. Brock got hit by the heaviest hands in MMA (judging by results) and kept his eyes open and wits about him. It's incorrect to say that the fight wasn't stopped because a title was on the line, the key it intelligent defense. Brock grabbed arms, kicked Carwin away, through punches from the bottom, and then stood up.

This certainly was a fight to determine the best heavyweights in the world. I'm not sure if it was "the" best but certainly amongst them. I don't see how you'd put Brock outside of the top 3 for heavyweights at the moment. He's already the best wrestler at his weight class and now he's shown that he has am iron chin. Fedor is certainly a better fighter in an comparison of careers but there is nothing that says he's the better fighter right now, today.

Edited by Destino

Your comments seem to be lacking something obvious. Brock is the only one that ever took those hits and didn't take a quick nap as a result. There are things you should do when you get hit... and all of those things go right out the window if you get hit hard enough. Brock got hit by the heaviest hands in MMA (judging by results) and kept his eyes open and wits about him. It's incorrect to say that the fight wasn't stopped because a title was on the line, the key it intelligent defense. Brock grabbed arms, kicked Carwin away, through punches from the bottom, and then stood up.

This certainly was a fight to determine the best heavyweights in the world. I'm not sure if it was "the" best but certainly amongst them. I don't see how you'd put Brock outside of the top 3 for heavyweights at the moment. He's already the best wrestler at his weight class and now he's shown that he has am iron chin. Fedor is certainly a better fighter in an comparison of careers but there is nothing that says he's the better fighter right now, today.

Well I would say once Brock was dropped, Carwin got sloppy and was just throwing bombs that were hitting Brock's arms, shoulders and gloves. With the exception of the elbow he dropped. And Brock's "intelligent defense" consisted of wiggling around and throwing an arm up every once in awhile, it wasn't like Brock was doing anything to improve his position. We have seen fights stopped a lot sooner. I am sure a stoppage could have been justified, but I am glad it wasn't. The ref did a good job, he saw Brock wasn't on the verge of being KO'd, but a lot of that was due to Carwin's inexperience and the fact that his cardio was bad and the man gassed out while in a dominant position.

If a guy like Cain gets Brock in the same position somehow, the fight will be over. This is the difference between "heavy hands"(Carwin) and "Technical striker(Velasquez)

People often confuse the two terms and think just because you have heavy hands, it means you are a good striker.

I didn't say Brock was outside the Top 3. I just said I don't think either is the #1. (YET).

Also, look before Brock even goes down. The minute he tastes a little glove, the dude abandons any notion of a game plan and retreats and looks lost, which leads to another barrage of punches and the initial knockdown. There are plenty of fighters that get tagged with a good shot and don't immediately go into retreat mode. It was a criticism/unknown about Brock going into the fight. I am not questioning Brock's chin. He showed he can take a punch(a lot of punches) but he also showed that if you tag him with a good shot the dude panics.

Well I would say once Brock was dropped, Carwin got sloppy and was just throwing bombs that were hitting Brock's arms, shoulders and gloves. With the exception of the elbow he dropped. And Brock's "intelligent defense" consisted of wiggling around and throwing an arm up every once in awhile, it wasn't like Brock was doing anything to improve his position. We have seen fights stopped a lot sooner. I am sure a stoppage could have been justified, but I am glad it wasn't. The ref did a good job, he saw Brock wasn't on the verge of being KO'd, but a lot of that was due to Carwin's inexperience and the fact that his cardio was bad and the man gassed out while in a dominant position.

If a guy like Cain gets Brock in the same position somehow, the fight will be over. This is the difference between "heavy hands"(Carwin) and "Technical striker(Velasquez)

People often confuse the two terms and think just because you have heavy hands, it means you are a good striker.

I didn't say Brock was outside the Top 3. I just said I don't think either is the #1. (YET).

Also, look before Brock even goes down. The minute he tastes a little glove, the dude abandons any notion of a game plan and retreats and looks lost, which leads to another barrage of punches and the initial knockdown. There are plenty of fighters that get tagged with a good shot and don't immediately go into retreat mode. It was a criticism/unknown about Brock going into the fight. I am not questioning Brock's chin. He showed he can take a punch(a lot of punches) but he also showed that if you tag him with a good shot the dude panics.

Well to be fair brock didnt fight for a year because of his illness. He still pulled out a win. The scary part if hes a work in progress. He gets better and better every fight. The guy is a true champion and i dont understand haters like you.

If he's not #1 at this point...who is?

If someone says Fedor is still #1 I'll just have to ignore them.

I'm not disrespecting the best Heavyweight ever (give the man the respect he deserves on that front), but he hasn't fought that high of a quality of fighter the past 4-5 years and just lost. You can't say someone is the best current fighter in their division based on what they did 5-10 years ago.

Well to be fair brock didnt fight for a year because of his illness. He still pulled out a win. The scary part if hes a work in progress. He gets better and better every fight. The guy is a true champion and i dont understand haters like you.

How is honest analysis "hating." I thought Brock looked very uncomfortable on his back. He was obviously buying his time, because even when he was given the chance he didn't stand up, but he still didn't look good.

I was extremely impressed that Lesnar was actually able to win this match, because he was obviously hurt. He realized that Carwin was way too much for him to stand up and trade blows, and he pulled it off.