Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

His favorite:

>[img]

:D

:ols::ols:

I'd root for Crazy Horse before I'd root for Brock!

My bad boy list is as follows:

1. BJ Penn and Nick Diaz

2. LEEBS! Da Cripplaaaaah!!

I think Leben is actually a teddy bear who wants to be a bad boy. I'm not under the impression that he's a top-tier fighter, either. I would call him very underrated though. I love the Crippler for his reckless abandon in the octagon and his cheesy pose when he wins. I remember feeling sorry for him when he'd melt down in the TUF house. Those guys definitely picked on him like he was the runt of the litter and he'd cry the tears of a baby brother. They had no idea how tough they were making him in the process though. He's been an exciting attraction in the UFC ever since and a lot of those guys are history.

For the record I think Akiyama is too well-rounded for him but never count out Da Cripplaaaah!

Edited by Chachie

I'd root for Crazy Horse before I'd root for Brock!

My bad boy list is as follows:

1. BJ Penn and Nick Diaz

2. LEEBS! Da Cripplaaaaah!!

I think Leben is actually a teddy bear who wants to be a bad boy. I'm not under the impression that he's a top-tier fighter, either. I would call him very underrated though. I love the Crippler for his reckless abandon in the octagon and his cheesy pose when he wins. I remember feeling sorry for him when he'd melt down in the TUF house. Those guys definitely picked on him like he was the runt of the litter and he'd cry the tears of a baby brother. They had no idea how tough they were making him in the process though. He's been an exciting attraction in the UFC ever since and a lot of those guys are history.

For the record I think Akiyama is too well-rounded for him but never count out Da Cripplaaaah!

I have come around a little to Nick Diaz and Penn in recent years. I think it has more to do with respect than anything else. I still do not really like them, but B.J. Penn has always been a great fighter and Nick has really impressed me in the last few years. Plus I think they have both matured a little in the last 2-3 years.

As for Leben, I think he was actually a little overrated for a while, but has been underrated recently. I think he has become less of a bad boy now that he has his life in order a little better. I like him as well as Akiyama, but I have a weird feeling that Leben wins that fight. I would not bet on it, but Akiyama did not look great against Belcher and it is not hard to see that this is not the fight he really wanted. Leben is going to come out there with nothing to lose. That is probably not going to look a whole lot different than his usual strategy, but Akiyama better be careful early.

I was excited when they first announced the Akiyama-Wanderlei fight, as I am a fan of both, and I am assuming that the winner of this fight will get Wand in the future. I liked Leben's answer in the press conference when he was asked whether he thought he should get a title shot if he won (I think it was from a fan). Leben said something like, "he was supposed to fight Wanderlei, so after I beat this guy, I'd like to fight him next."

I don't mind Brock, I think I just resent him because of how much the casual fans hype him up. I'm glad he's in the sport, I think he's exciting, I just think people get overly excited about him considering he's only got 5 fights on his resume.

Obviously, I like Nick Diaz. I think people are starting to come around to him because he's winning and earning people's respect. If were getting beat up all the time and acting the way he does, he'd just be another punk to everyone. Hell, besides the Noons fight he hasn't lost since 2006. The Gomi thing is a NC but he whipped Gomi's ass and I still consider that a Diaz win no matter what the record says.

I like Leben too. Some people don't like him but he's the blue chip kind of fighter that the UFC loves. He's probably not going to be a title contender but he's going to put everything on the line and let it all hang out when the bell rings, which means his fights are usually going to be very entertaining.

And lol to that Krazy Horse pic. I do like Krazy Horse about 100x better than KJ Noons and Michael Bisping.

As for Leben, I think he was actually a little overrated for a while, but has been underrated recently. I think he has become less of a bad boy now that he has his life in order a little better. I like him as well as Akiyama, but I have a weird feeling that Leben wins that fight. I would not bet on it, but Akiyama did not look great against Belcher and it is not hard to see that this is not the fight he really wanted. Leben is going to come out there with nothing to lose. That is probably not going to look a whole lot different than his usual strategy, but Akiyama better be careful early.

I was excited when they first announced the Akiyama-Wanderlei fight, as I am a fan of both, and I am assuming that the winner of this fight will get Wand in the future. I liked Leben's answer in the press conference when he was asked whether he thought he should get a title shot if he won (I think it was from a fan). Leben said something like, "he was supposed to fight Wanderlei, so after I beat this guy, I'd like to fight him next."

Totally agree about Leben quitting alcohol. (At least I think I remember that he quit.) But anyway he really grew up after that.

I think it's really hard for anyone to look good against Alan Belcher even if someone beats him. Dude is tough as iron. I hope Chris wins though, of course.

Leebs vs Wandy at this stage of Silva's career would be epic!

I don't mind Brock, I think I just resent him because of how much the casual fans hype him up. I'm glad he's in the sport, I think he's exciting, I just think people get overly excited about him considering he's only got 5 fights on his resume.

That's thing that pisses me off about Lesnar. After five fights he acts so entitled to everything! Disgracing his opponents, flipping off the crowd, the whole Budweiser thing. He's demolishing good fighters but so is Carwin and we don't see Shane acting like a baby.

Edited by Chachie

I think it's really hard for anyone to look good against Alan Belcher even if someone beats him. Dude is tough as iron. I hope Chris wins though, of course.

Leebs vs Wandy at this stage of Silva's career would be epic!

That is true, Belcher is a tough dude and a damn good fighter.

And as for Leben vs. Wandy, I think that would be a hell of a fight too. I think Wandy would take it though. Although that could be my mancrush on the Axe Murderer talking. I can not see that fight going anywhere near the distance.

Exactly. As I recall BJ landed sweetly when he threw with conviction. He just didn't seem motivated to make things happen though, which is to Frankie's credit for staying mobile. I suspect BJ didn't just think the judges would rule against him as long as he kept it close. He mailed it in for the first 2 rounds and couldn't figure out how to catch up after that. Typical BJ Penn performance when he doesn't take his opponent seriously or have an angry agenda.

Exactly, and that's why I say Frankie made him look like an amature.

Come on now, BJ has been considered a top five P4P for years, however there's always a "but" or a "when" thrown onto it. You actually prove my arguement that if you're going to leave BJ in the P4P top ten after losing to Edgar, a relative baby in the MMA arena compared to Penn, then how in the hell can Sherdog justify dropping Fedor out of the top 10 after losing to a BJJ master?

Come on now, BJ has been considered a top five P4P for years, however there's always a "but" or a "when" thrown onto it. You actually prove my arguement that if you're going to leave BJ in the P4P top ten after losing to Edgar, a relative baby in the MMA arena compared to Penn, then how in the hell can Sherdog justify dropping Fedor out of the top 10 after losing to a BJJ master?

Oh I totally agree that dropping Fedor from the top 10 (or top 5 for that matter) is ridiculous. I also think putting Werdum in the top 5 is kinda silly. However, the only fighter to ever make BJ Penn like an amateur is GSP.

Edited by Chachie

That's not why Frankie made him look like an amateur; Chachie thinking Penn didn't take training seriously is a hypothetical reason that Penn lost. You don't have to blatantly exaggerate to make your argument. BJ put up a good fight against a guy that was CLEARLY one step ahead of him. Training wise, gameplan wise, speed wise, BJ got beat by a man better-prepared. But both men are bad ass dudes, and hardly looked like amateurs. BJ vs. Edgar is not a good example towards your argument. He tried to fire back, but Edgar always had the positional advantage. It was a long, frustrating chessmatch for BJ.

The Fedor/Werdum fight compared to chess? Werdum trapped him in an opening extension and guaranteed checkmate. There is a stark contrast.

Fedor's error was amateur-like and BJ's was like a regular tightly-knit grandmaster chess match.

Let me remind everyone that I'm a huge Fedor hugger of nuts. But let's be realistic...Fedor's error was careless, anxious, perhaps even arrogant. BJ was just outclassed by a classier student on that night.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Fedor's error was amateur-like and BJ's was like a regular grandmaster chess match.

Let me remind everyone that I'm a huge Fedor hugger of nuts. But let's be realistic...Fedor's error was careless, anxious, perhaps even arrogant. BJ was just outclassed by a classier student on that night.

Agreed. Fedor's was a rookie mistake by a guy that just does not do things like that. Unless he was so arrogant to think he could beat Werdum at his own game. Who knows. Everyone makes a mistake and I think that is all it was. He thought he had Fabricio hurt, and he did. But you still have to be careful on the mat with someone with that caliber of ground game.

B.J. was just up against a better man that night in Abu Dhabi. But I am willing to bet that it will not happen again. Nothing against Edgar, but it is still weird to me to see him with the belt.

:drooley:

You definitely know how to put things into perspective d0ubles. I totally agree BTW.

BJ was never hurt. He was out pointed by a great game plan. Kudos to Frankie. I knew that would be his only avenue to win, and he did it. If Frankie can't finish an "amateur" he has no business in a title fight. You lose credibility by making statements like that.

Don't hold BJ's accomplishments against him. He lost a decision. It happens.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Pick-Lesnar-vs-Carwin-25450

First pro's pick

Nick Thompson: As I do every summer, I left a graduate-level algebraic graph theory math problem on the board as a challenged posed to my students. I had hoped one of them could solve it by the end of the semester. To my amazement, it was anonymously solved within the first week. In its place, I posted a much more difficult problem, one that took me and my colleagues two years to prove. Then I see this janitor writing over my problem and chase him away only to realize, upon closer inspection of the janitor’s writing, that the janitor had solved this difficult proof. I finally tracked down the janitor and found out his name was Derrick Noble. By the time I found out who he was, he was in a bit of a jam. He was on trial for attacking a police officer. Because of Derrick’s unparalleled promise, I spoke to the judge on Derrick’s behalf. The judge offered him prison or to be released to my supervision to study mathematics and see a therapist. Derrick chose the latter. Derrick treated the first five therapists with utter contempt. In desperation, I finally called on Sean, my old roommate, now an estranged old friend, who is a therapist and happens to think Carwin will win, just like Noble. My fields medal leads me to believe Lesnar will be the champ, but Derrick and Sean both have more natural talent than me, of which I am jealous, and they think Carwin.

Last pro's pick

Derrick Noble: While working my second job as a janitor at the local university, I noticed a difficult mathematical problem written on the chalkboard in the hallway. I was actually born with a gift of being able to solve these types of equations, so I took it upon myself to answer the problem. The next week a new, more difficult problem was on the board. As I finished answering the problem, the professor came out of his room, only to see me writing on the board. Since I don’t like the attention my genius brings, I ran away quickly to avoid confrontation. Later that week, the professor tracked me down, and to my surprise, it was Nick Thompson. I told Nick I like to solve math problems, but I also have a bad temper and get into fights. I explained my current situation in which I was going to trial for assaulting a police officer. Nick used his pull and convinced the judge to go lenient on me if I agreed to see a therapist. Nick introduced to his old college roommate, who agreed to help me with my inner demons. Throughout our sessions, we spoke a lot about upcoming MMA fights. We began analyzing the upcoming Lesnar-Carwin fight. I told Sean that I think Carwin will win this after he survives an early ground-and-pound attack in the first round. Sean agreed with my assessment of the fight. Normally, it would be hard for me to open up with my thoughts on upcoming MMA fights, but Sean has taught me that the demons I deal with are not my fault, and it’s OK to be open with my fight predictions. I pick Carwin by round-two TKO.

:ols:

Pros who picked Lesnar: 14

Pros who picked Carwin: 38

Pros who couldn’t decide: 9

I have a feeling this is going to be a fantastic show. Again, it's already cliche' but the cards that aren't rich with big names are usually the ones that shine. Aside from the main event of course. Even though they aren't peak level, the matchups are fantastic. Really interested to see if Sotiropolis can win in a dominating fashion. Dude could see a title shot next year if he keeps bulldozing along like this. Loving every other matchup as well, I think we are guaranteed some brutal wars and likely some devastating finishes.

I'm going with Leben vs. Akiyama for FOTN. Everybody else is choosing Lytle vs. Brown, but Leben and Akiyama are two guys that start waving their hands up to get the crowd on their feet after ridiculous punching exchanges. I love that ****. I think they're just going to bash each other's faces until they both look like Takayama.

Well then I concede credibility when it comes to Penn, I still stand by my statement.

All I've ever heard is how great Penn is, he's a penom, one of the greatest strikers ever. I buy into that hype to an extent, when BJ takes it serious he is, "when". We're talking P4P here. When talking P4P you're talking about greatness in a world where everyone weighs the same. In this mythical place you don't get to take fights off, take people lightly or fail to reach down into that heart of a champion and find a way to put your gloves, hands, knees or feet against you're opponents body.

Sure Penn hurt Edgar a few times, he was supposed to wasn't he? Edgar is a great fighter with impeccable work ethic, speed and tons of heart. P4P? Has he even fought enough to be in that discussion? Seriously? Are you annointing him in that category after one fight with Penn? I bet before his fight with Penn if I asked everyone of you who your top 10 P4P was Edgar would have never even been close, yet suddenly his mad skills are what did a top 5 P4P Penn in.

Don't hype Edgar just to support your arguement for Penn. My entire point for using Penn as an example how the UFC 's guys stay in the P4P arguement is that Penn has lost twice, once to GSP which is not that much of a blemish, he's a phenom. But to lose again in RECENT history to a guy not even in the P4P arguement and stay in consideration is ridiculous. Especially when talking about a guy losing consideration after losing one fight in almost 10 years.

Zo! Brother! relax!

1. Nobody has argued with you that Fedor doesn't belong in the top 5 P4P! (For the love of God, chill out!) I don't know what Sherdog is thinking either.. Got it? We agree. Much love!

2. You won't convince anyone here that BJ Penn does not belong in the top 10 P4P, if that's where you're going with this tragically misguided rant. Go on as long as you want. The thread's moving on to UFC 116. Wanna come with? :)

Zo! Brother! relax!

1. Nobody has argued with you that Fedor doesn't belong in the top 5 P4P! (For the love of God, chill out!) I don't know what Sherdog is thinking either.. Got it? We agree. Much love!

2. You won't convince anyone here that BJ Penn does not belong in the top 10 P4P, if that's where you're going with this tragically misguided rant. Go on as long as you want. The thread's moving on to UFC 116. Wanna come with? :)

My entire point that was met with so much contention was that a **** ton of guys with losses in RECENT history, in a fashion much more convincing than Fedor's, are still in the P4P top 10 according to Sherdog. And OBTW, most of them are Dana's darlings. I made a statement that Penn was beat convincingly over a 5 round fight, not a fluke. Against a guy without a stellar resume. Fedor, makes a mistake minutes into a fight against a BJJ master, world renowned actually. My arguement has no credibility?

Just saying people shouldn't be so dismissive of ones opinion just because you believe the hype surrounding Penn. That's all.

Now, I'm going to go bang my wife and drink a coors. :pfft:

UFC 116: Jupiter vs. Saturn, picks:

George Sotiroupolos vs. Kurt Pellegrino: George has simply looked great his last couple fights. If he performs the same way has he has been, he should bag the win here. Even if Kurt gets him down, I think George can survive and even give Kurt some trouble.

Sotiroupolos Unanimous Decision

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Stephan Bonnar: Copy and paste never comes in as handy as when Krzysztof Soszynski is fighting. When Krzysztof Soszynski fights, the only thing guaranteed is that Krzysztof Soszynski have more tattoos than last time. Krzysztof Soszynski shows flashes of being an upper echelon fighter, but Krzysztof Soszynski also gets sloppy. That said, there's no telling what the pressure of losing a UFC career will do to Bonnar. I still think he's just too much finnesse and not powerful enough to deal with a Krzysztof Soszynski.

Soda Popinski via TKO round 2

Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown: I think this comes down to if Matt Brown can avoid brawling with Lytle. He's got to stick and move and not play Chris's game. I think Lytle outworks him and cruises to a victory.

Lytle Unanimous Decision

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben: Like I said before, Leben jumped way up in my book by taking this fight. I love the way the dude hits, it's almost laughable. He just digs his fists through people, he wants to hurt people with every shot he throws. I love that he throws telegraphed hooks that are wide, slow and sloppy. Unfortunately, it just won't get him much farther than he is right now. The guy needs to sharpen and extend his game for when he faces guys like Akiyama. Akiyama should beat him to the punch with speed and totally destroy him in the clinch. Leben gets beat to the punch and smothered all fight long.

Akiyama Unanimous Decision

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin: I think the key to this fight is that Shane is prepared for the wrestling of Lesnar. He won't get in to a straight up wrestling match with Brock, he'll use the fence to help stuff takedowns and work his clinch game ala the Mir fight. Let's not forget who is in his corner...Greg Jackson is renowned (even despised) for slowing down fights to a manageable pace. I think Carwin finds an opportunistic position in the clinch or in the striking game to land a bomb.

Shane Carwin KO round 1

UFC 116: who's gloves are bigger?

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Stephan Bonnar: Bonnar has shown 0 improvement from his first fight with Forrest. he's the same fighter, only slower. i stress again, he lost to mark coleman.

Soszynski by Unanimous Decision

Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown: should be entertaining at least

Lytle by Unanimous Decision

Kurt Pellegrino vs. George "nobody spells my name right" Sotiroupolis: george is on an impressive run as of late, displaying some damn good jiu-jitsu. Pellegrino has always struck me as a fighter takes a step forward then a step back. pellegrino's jiu-jitsu is overrated, but he's good enough. he has the athleticism and wrestling to put george down, but i dont see it happening that way. this is more of a barometer on how good george is.

Sotiroupolis by Submission, 2nd Round

Yoshiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben: Akiyama is far more skilled than Leben, and i find it hard to believe that Leben will be at 100% after fighting just 2 weeks ago. Leben should have a nice size advantage as Akiyama doesn't cut weight to make 185, hell he could (and probably should) drop to 170. the only way leben wins is if akiyama is dumb enough to slug with him. i think akiyama uses his judo to get to the ground and will control Leben enough for a decision.

Akiyama by Unanimous Decision

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin: if not for his layoff, i would feel more comfortable picking brock. in a fight so evenly matched, if the layoff affects his timing, it will be a very short night. it will be interesting to see how carwin reacts if Brock is able to put him on his back. so many different things could very easily happen in this fight, its hard to get a read on it (particularly due to brock's lack of fights). one thing Brock has shown though is the ability to follow a set gameplan to perfection. if his team has crafted a good strategy to beat carwin, chances are lesnar will implement it well. for all the different scenario's i've thought about, i always come back to the layoff affecting brock's timing on the feet and him eating a flush shot from carwin that leads to a tko finish.

Carwin by (T)KO, Round 2

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Pick-Lesnar-vs-Carwin-25450

First pro's pick

Last pro's pick

:ols:

Pros who picked Lesnar: 14

Pros who picked Carwin: 38

Pros who couldn’t decide: 9

That's hysterical.

It will be interesting to see how Lesnar looks tonight after his illness and extended period of not being able to fight. As some know, I'm a total Brock homer, but I'm leaning toward Carwin for the win...although I very much hope not!! I would love to see another ridiculous victory speech by Brock tonight, after this week, I need a good laugh.

Also very much looking forward to the Lytle/Brown fight. Don't really like making predictions, I just hope for a great fight.

Now, off to prepare a buttload of food for all the people coming over to watch the fights and destroy my house this evening.

Edited by Special K