Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

^----sweet vid...sweeter sig lol.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19947/jake-shields-signs-with-ufc-returning-to-welterweight-division.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29

Jake Shields signs with UFC, returning to welterweight division

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 16, 2010 at 7:25 am ET

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields (25-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is no longer a free agent.

As expected, Shields has officially signed with the UFC, and will soon make his debut for the world's biggest mixed martial arts promotion.

And while Shields' father and manager, Jack Shields, in June told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that his son would likely test the waters of the UFC's middleweight division, Jake will instead drop down to his more natural fighting weight of 170 pounds.

The announcement was made Thursday night on GracieFighter.com, a website owned by Shields' trainer, Cesar Gracie.

"Jake Shields will be debuting at the 170-pound weight division in the UFC," the announcement stated. "After careful consideration and consulting with UFC representatives it was determined Jake would be finally going back to his original fighting weight.

"Jake's opponent is one of the UFC's top contenders and will be announced shortly."

UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com earlier this month that he would allow Shields to decide in what division he would like to fight, but he also did little to hide his thoughts on what the right decision would be.

"I think he should come in at 170 pounds," White said. "Our 185-pound division is nasty. He can [come in as a middleweight] if he wants to. I don't think he wants to."

Prior to his three-fight run in Strikeforce, Shields was also EliteXC's first and only welterweight champion. He moved up to a 182-pound catchweight limit and defeated Robbie Lawler in June 2009 before claiming Strikeforce's vacant middleweight title by defeating Jason "Mayhem" Miller in November 2009.

Shields defended the title in an upset win over Dan Henderson in April, but his contract, which was inherited by Strikeforce, did not contain a champion's clause, thus allowing him to become a free agent.

Shields is currently riding a 14-fight win streak that dates back to 2005. In addition to the wins over Henderson, Lawler and Miller, Shields has also defeated UFC veterans Paul Daley, Nick Thompson, Mike Pyle, Renato Verissimo, Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami and Dave Menne during his current run.

he'll probably get kampmann

Also, Anderson sounds ready to whip that ass:

i'm getting the same vibe i got before anderson fought Forrest :evilg:

Is anybody going to watch Impact FC 2? They just had their first show last weekend headlined by Josh Barnett, Sokodjou, and Monson. I found a stream for it last weekend so it should be available again.

Ken Shamrock vs. Pedro Rizzo

Paul Daley (No. 7 WW) vs. Daniel Acacio

Paulo Filho vs. Denis Kang

Murilo “Ninja” Rua vs. Jeremy May

Murilo Bustamante vs. Jesse Taylor

[/Quote]

http://www.sherdog.com/events/Impact-FC-2-The-Uprising-Sydney-13509

Night it be broadcast in HDNet?

It doesn't look like it I just checked their schedule online they are showing a replay of Dynamite 2009 tonight then replays of DREAM 15 and SRC 12 Saturday/Sunday. HDNet is keeping Japanese MMA on life support. :(

So it is listed as July 18th(sunday night) in Australia but what time does that make it for us? Would it be a Saturday night show for us?

I am definitely interested in tuning in if I have nothing else going on.

I'm pretty sure your right that it would be a Saturday night broadcast for us. I saw an ad at the top of Sherdog that says it will be live on PPV Saturday night.

I'm pretty sure your right that it would be a Saturday night broadcast for us. I saw an ad at the top of Sherdog that says it will be live on PPV Saturday night.

I just can't PPV a Ken Shamrock fight event no matter who else is on the card. Pedro's gonna maul him.

I just can't PPV a Ken Shamrock fight event no matter who else is on the card. Pedro's gonna maul him.

I agree I don't know why anyone would pay money to watch this but that is why the internet is awesome. :evilg:

I forgot to mention that Bob Sapp was supposed to fight on this card but the company that runs Impact FC wouldn't pay for his airfare to fly him out to Austrailia from Bulgaria where he is working on the new Conan the Barbarian movie coming out. :ols:

I forgot to mention that Bob Sapp was supposed to fight on this card but the company that runs Impact FC wouldn't pay for his airfare to fly him out to Austrailia from Bulgaria where he is working on the new Conan the Barbarian movie coming out. :ols:

Is it because he has to buy two tickets?

Well just as I was talking about Japanese MMA being on life support things just got really interesting. It looks like a Chinese investment bank just gave it a jolt of life and are planning on global expansion.

fegxpuji.jpgfegglobalexpansionplan.jpg

Although DREAM has really no chance taking on the UFC in America it does look like they will be going to war over other markets around the world.

Now what I am really excited about is the expansion of K-1 in the USA because I think it could do real well if marketed properly over here. It is really an exciting brand of stand up fighting and it has been around for as long as the UFC.

edit:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/16/feg-announce-partnership-with-puji-captital-and-declare-war-with/

This new link has a quote that says they won't even try spreading to America but I was hoping they would try to get K-1 back in Las Vegas and Hawaii at least.

Edited by Patrick86L

For the Dana haters.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12077&zoneid=13

- CHRIS LYTLE GETS HIS UFC 116 BONUS

Friday, July 16, 2010 - by Jeff Cain - MMAWeekly.com

LytleBurns415TUF9.jpg

Chris “Lights Out” Lytle was confident that his UFC 116 straight armbar/triangle choke submission win over Matt Brown would take home the $75,000 Submission of the Night award. The honors instead went to Brock Lesnar for his arm triangle choke victory over Shane Carwin in the main event. Lesnar retained his UFC heavyweight title with the first submission of his career other than a tapout due to strikes in his first fight.

Lytle is used to receiving bonus checks. He has cashed seven of them in his last 10 fights. The 35-year-old has won Submission of the Night twice before, Fight of the Night honors on four occasions, and has been awarded Knockout of the Night once.

Following the event on July 3, UFC president Dana White said, “We’re writing some (expletive) checks tonight. We’re writing checks, more than what you heard here tonight. Guys are going to get well taken care of.”

White wasn’t just saying it to say it. While Lytle didn’t get the Submission of the Night award he wanted, he did receive a bonus check from the Las Vegas-based promotion.

Ken Pavia, Lytle’s manager, informed MMAWeekly.com that his fighter did receive a little extra compensation for his UFC 116 performance.

“The bonus of the night was $75,000. It wasn’t near that, but it was still significant. It was more than a mere token, so we‘re very happy about that.” Pavia told MMAWeekly Radio. “They took care of him. They gave him a nice chunk.

“They’ve been good to Chris, and Chris has made a lot of money. I would venture to say one of the top ten in the UFC by virtue of his bonuses,” added Pavia. “He was not unhappy.”

Lytle will be back in the Octagon on Sept. 25 in his hometown of Indianapolis at UFC 119, looking for another bonus award in a rematch with former UFC welterweight titleholder Matt Serra. The two fought to a split decision at “The Ultimate Fighter 4 Finale” with Serra getting the judges’ nod in a fight many felt Lytle won.

Edited by Sebowski

I'll take Lytle over Serra. Dude is one of my favorite fighters.

I never remember Lytle is the guy Serra beat to get his shot at GSP. Have to wonder if Lytle would have gotten the upset if he got by Serra. The way Serra won makes me believe he could have. Then who knows where these guys are.

Well just as I was talking about Japanese MMA being on life support things just got really interesting. It looks like a Chinese investment bank just gave it a jolt of life and are planning on global expansion.

Does that image you posted say "world cup"

two things:

1 - No. The World Cup is soccer, call it something else

2 - Brazil would dominate it this world cup as well. :ols: