Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

That fight is evidence of just how good Ronda is. The slightest mistake results in an instant defeat, she doesn't doesn't allow her opponents to enjoy any margin of error. Girl is an absolute killer.

I still think Cyborg would punish her.

On the post-fight show, Tate said she had heard that Cyborg was walking around at 170 by the time her fight started yesterday night. It may be possible for her to make 135lb but I am not sure how effective she can fight at that weight.

As far as Ronda....it's almost like the Tyson situation.  You are paying to see greatness but the risk in that is you could get these quick finishes. Fans will have to decide for themselves 

At this point Ronda is basically the Royce Gracie of female MMA, and it will be the next generation of women's MMA that grows up watching her and get inspired by what they are seeing.  Right now when you watch her fights, her technique is just too elite for most women.  If Holly Holm was younger and not so green, maybe she would have a chance after a few more fights but I think that may be wishful thinking at this point.  People keep saying Cyborg, but she is more strength then technique when you watch her fight, and that aggression actually would work in Ronda's favor if they ended up fighting.  Cyborg also isn't fighting the best women out there anymore either, she is running through a bunch 2nd tier opponents.  I'd love to see Cyborg vs. Tate or Holm, hell maybe even McMann to get a better idea of where she is against elite competition that aren't bloating themselves to 145 just to take the fight.

Oh and as far as Cat's strategy.  Sure, it didn't look smart on the surface and it is easy to criticize, but lets be honest, she probably knew she had to come out and do something to surprise or rock Rousey early. No one has had any success at all going the conventional route. Ronda has beat opponents standing, on the ground etc etc....

The problem though is Rousey was expecting just that, listening to her post-fight press conference, she said she knew all the discussion about Cat being a slow starter so she was game planning for Cat to come out and try to be really aggressive and come at her. Rousey was like a Venus fly trap.

• Like 1

I think the Rousey/Royce comparison takes away from Ronda. All due respect to Royce. Royce didn't have good striking and knees in the clinch, or painfully hard takedowns. He wasn't facing fully trained MMA fighters, he had a secret art essetially. He'd fight heavyweights, he'd survive for long periods of time using the guard, it was all a lot different.

Ronda's clinch and ground game are incredibly aggressive,, and she has hard striking. Is there anybody who hits as hard in that division? I'm having a tough time thinking of one.

Cat Attacking her in the first 3 seconds was one of the very few times I've seen Ronda on the defensive. She has ALWAYS looked to finish fights right away. She's always on the offensive with no mercy.

The fight reminded me of BJ Penn vs Cao Uno with a different finish.

It would be interesting to see her take a Cyborg bomb right to the kisser. We've seen Ronda take punches, her defensive boxing is probably her weakest aspect. Cyborg not getting subbed and being able to bring it back to the feet could make it a tough out for Ronda. Cyborg is still a tank, she has the best punches in WMMA bar none. She's got the strength in the clinch and on the ground to best test Ronda. There is no way Ronda is moving up to 140 or 145 to fight Cyborg. It's 135 or never. She's a business unto herself like GSP was, her marketing value is skyrocketing. Not worth the risk.

I think Ronda beats her at 135 lbs. Cyborg will have to lose just enough power to not be able to go Wandy mode on her. She'll tire out and get subbed in the second. The higher the weight, the more I can see Cyborg hurting Ronda. I'd still tentatively bet on Rousey at 145 lbs.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I wouldn't say heavy hands, but she gets the best of exchanges. Knocked Meisha back against the fence with a punch to set up the finish to that fight, stunned whats-her-name recently with a right hand to set up the finish.

The point is I don't remember Royce throwing a punch standing, much less winning an exchange.

She wouldn't want to exchange with a 145 Cyborg. Probably not a 135 Cyborg either, but that extra 10 lbs would make a big difference.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I'm not convinced Ronda has heavy hands, no one in the womans division punches hard. Cyborg can also take a punch. At 145 I think Cyborg wins, too strong and big.

Cyborg is juiced beyond belief. Thats y she walks around at 170 n cant cut to 135 wo risking her "health"

Munoz got handled like a beginner student in BJJ. That was surprising.

His doctors recommended he stop fighting, he should probably listen. Saw a stat that said he's landed all of 3 strikes total in his last 3 fights.

Cyborg is juiced beyond belief. Thats y she walks around at 170 n cant cut to 135 wo risking her "health"

For whatever its worth, she passed her random test for her most recent fight

Edited by StillUnknown

Technique usually wins over power though. Rousey doesn't use her striking to finish opponents, just to give them enough to think/worry about so they stop guarding the Judo. 

Cyborg doesn't win with technique, she wins because she is bigger then all of her opponents by a ton, and she overwhelms them. That isn't going to work against Rousey.  If Cyborg comes charging in throwing haymakers she better connect quick or he is getting dumped on her head. 

And as far as the fighting weight. Ronda is the 135lb champ, she shouldn't have to move up to take a fight unless she was completely vacating the title and making a permanent move to 145lb. Or if she is at the end of her career and just wants to make a super-fight.  Dana said in the post-fight press conference that as soon as Cyborg comes to him and says she will make 135lb that fight is being made immediately. 

• Like 1

The only person who can beat Ronda right now is, Ronda.

Very Tyson like.  She will have to completely blow off an opponent to lose.  (Douglas fight)

Holly looked OK, but if I was in there I would have chopped that leg to pieces with inside and outside leg kicks.

She would have had no base to work from, and a take down away from my submission.  It was starting to work, but it was 2 rounds too late.

(If I were not a natural heavyweight, and a dude LOL)

For some reason, reading this was like a punch in the gut to me...

Longtime site coordinator Burt Watson confirms exit from UFC

One of the UFC’s most recognizable names (and bellowing voices) has confirmed his exit from the promotion.

Longtime site coordinator Burt Watson, whose iconic “We rollllllin’!” yell would echo backstage on event nights and during weigh-in festivities, today confirmed he’s left the promotion after a 14-year run (via Twitter).

Watson, who had won the respect and admiration of many UFC fighters, didn’t give a reason for his departure.

However, his exit had been rumored for the past few days following an alleged incident this past weekend at UFC 184. An initial report came from Twitter user @FrontRowBrian. Then, on Monday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio, John Morgan, MMAjunkie’s lead staff reporter and an on-site reporter at UFC 184 in Los Angeles, confirmed a backstage confrontation between Watson and a fellow UFC employee over a fighter’s weight cut. However, at the time, it wasn’t clear if Watson’s exit was official.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/longtime-site-coordinator-burt-watson-confirms-exit-from-ufc

Edited by lovetoaster

Yeah, Burt gets made fun of because people think his job is easy, but every fighter they've interviewed likes him because he's the communicator to the fighters about everything backstage during fight week. That's a back and forth job, he's walking around all the time. Anything they need or want to know, they ask him.

We rollennnnnnn! Yeah!

I loved that, it would get me hyped for a fight for sure. Think it hyped the majority of fighters up, whether they admit it or not. It was stuff you'd yell to your defense right before the first snap of a big game. This is what we do and why we do it baby!

• Like 1

Now Anderson is saying he'd like a rematch with Diaz, to redeem himself.

So maybe steroids, in a way, work in the UFC's favor, money-wise ?

Rematches based on steroids use, creates even more revenue.

Another reason for them not to announce failed tests until after the fight, when there's the good possibility that not cancelling the

fight, means that there will be demand for a 2nd one.

At the same time, of course, they lose disgruntled fans that way, which could offset the above.

I hope this post doesn't cause me to be the guy that starts page 666 in the thread.

Now Anderson is saying he'd like a rematch with Diaz, to redeem himself.

So maybe steroids, in a way, work in the UFC's favor, money-wise ?

Rematches based on steroids use, creates even more revenue.

Another reason for them not to announce failed tests until after the fight, when there's the good possibility that not cancelling the

fight, means that there will be demand for a 2nd one.

At the same time, of course, they lose disgruntled fans that way, which could offset the above.

I hope this post doesn't cause me to be the guy that starts page 666 in the thread.

Just to add insult to fan injury, I'd bet the house that a rematch would go exactly as the first. Their styles simply dictate it.   :(

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 1

It seems like all the talk of Rousey being able to beat male fighters, is really snowballing lately. Not just the volume of the talk, but the predictions are getting bolder, and even demonstrations. And it probably has a purpose that goes being just selling the "Rousey brand". I think they are in the process of conditioning fans, and society as a whole, to believe that a male vs female matchup would be acceptable, and no longer "taboo", with the intention of it eventually happening. The hype and the intrigue has already been birthed, and it's probably just a matter of time, before it happens.

First, society will accept that it's okay. Then they will be drawn into the interest of it. And that creates the monetary revenue potential, through the demand/supply. And once the money door opens, you can book it.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

A man/woman fight will never happen at any regulated event

Technically, it's already happened.

Or in the very least, it's taken a gigantic step towards that happening.

One could create a strong argument, that Fallon Fox is scientifically and physiologically a man fighting against women, since the medical procedure still left significant male characteristics and functions remaining, in bone and muscle structure and mass, which for all intents and purposes, are very pertinent to fighting.

I bet you'd agree that if you took poll about 20 or more years ago, that over 90% of people including experts, would say that "A regulated fight between a transgender and a woman would never happen". Also, didn't Dana himself once say that females would never compete in the UFC, at all ?

Society's views and expectations are constantly evolving, but they don't change overnight, but in gradual stages.

I can't say when, but I am very certain that the man/woman fight will eventually happen. And that's not to say that I believe it should. 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository