Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

28 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

to be fair, he was a late replacement and jumped in to save the card. 

Also, there were rumors before the fight his knee was injured. He said Luke broke his leg, and he did start the fight a lot more flat footed then he usually fought so hmm?

Yea, I understand the circumstances, but still.  I grew up competing in a sport with weight classes; if you missed weight, you weren't eligible to compete.  Period.  Not having to cut the last 3 lbs is a HUGE competitive advantage, cutting that weight depletes you badly.  So the fact that Rockhold made weight and Romero didn't tipped the scales in favor of Romero before the fight even started.  So the fact that Rockhold takes a loss and moves down the rankings because he fought a guy that shouldn't have been eligible to fight, and Romero gets a win and the title shot that was Rockhold's to begin with seems extremely unjust to me.  Romero should be thanked for jumping in by way of financial compensation, but he did not fight as a middleweight.

Rockhold kept going to his overhand right (which looked more like a lazy straight right) last night and it never worked a single time. Yoel sneaking under it and throwing a left hook was an eventual certainty. That punch propelled Luke into the lower cage like a slingshot. Wow. Romero is explosive. 

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Romero gets a win and the title shot that was Rockhold's to begin with seems extremely unjust to me.

9 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

He didn’t win the interim championship if that’s any consolation.

But it's not really a consolation, if he goes on to get the next title shot, anyway.

What really was the point in saying "You're not eligible to win the Interim belt", if he gets the next title shot, regardless ?

Then the whole Interim thing becomes meaningless, and the issue of making/missing weight becomes meaningless.

And not only did he miss weight, but he also lost his last fight before that, against Whittaker.

So that's 2 reasons he shouldn't get the title fight. The last time he won a fight without missing weight, was 3 fights ago.

• Like 1

The interim belt has always been worthless. Again Luke didn't have to take the fight, who would you have Whittaker fight instead? Chris, Gastelum, or Yoel? Gastelum was choked out by Chris, Chris lost against Luke and Yoel. Yoel is the most deserving of the title shot. This is the first time Yoel has ever missed weight, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Again, Luke decided to accept this. He didn't have to fight Yoel after Yoel missed weight. 

• Like 1

He also didn't accept the fight knowing the Yoel wasn't going to bother with making weight.  He accepted a fight at middleweight and he fought as a middleweight as agreed upon; his opponent did not.  Effectively, Yoel cheated.  

And in any event, did Rockhold really have a choice?  If he refuses the fight, the whole PPV falls apart.  Then a whole bunch of fighters are going to be pissed at him for ruining their payday (which most of them need desperately), and you know the blowback from the UFC/Dana will be huge, possibly career-ruining. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Max vs Khabib doesn't sound anywhere near as entertaining as Tony vs Khabib. I expect Khabib to win by submission. 

****ing Ferguson / Khabib is just cursed.  I've literally been waiting for that fight and that fight only for like 4 months.

I think Max is a pretty fantastic short-term replacement, but yea, not close to Tony v. Khabib.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

No coked out. Conor was probably on some cocaine. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

It would be pretty wild if he walked back into the octagon and defended a belt...

3 hours ago, Chachie said:

Never has, never will.

Maybe that's why he hasn't defended his belt - because a piss test would have been liquid cocaine.

• Like 1

Part of me thinks Conor is looking for a way out. He has his fortune, more then he'll ever replicate fighting an MMA match 500x over.  When he had last left UFC he got his redemption win against Diaz (I still say Diaz won, but whatever).  The competition waiting for him now, between Ferguson, Holloway, Khabib and/or a possible trilogy fight with Diaz? I'd have McGregor the underdog in all of those fights.

Quite simply, he may have maxed out what his fighting ability can bring him and has been relying on his marketing skills for the last 18 months, and now the piper is coming to call him back to the actual fighting world and his motivation to go back to that grind of a life simply may not be there.

• Like 1