Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

LKB nailed it

Ppl can call Cornette and Ross old school all they want. Bottom line is that they are right.

Promos are ****ty. Stories make no sense. WWE want to make complex dramas like The Wire...bro, you sell two guys beating the **** out of each other. It's simple. We need a hero and villain.

The Bellas are neutral so no one cares. The Authority, Show, and Kane change from week to week. Fans don't know who to cheer so they say **** it.

And finally, no one sells. Guys just do moves and there's nothing to it.

I'll only watch the current stuff if Owens, Sasha, Rollins, or New Day are on the screen. Other than that, it's just like watching a ****ty CBS sitcom.

It is literally scary how perfect NXT is. It's scary how triple H can script things perfectly there but obviously be undermined on Monday nights

• Like 1

You ain't kidding about early 90's WCW. Possibly the worst card I ever been to was a WCW card up at the Toronto Sky Dome/Rogers center in the early 90's. I swear, you would have thought those guys were running late to catch a flight. Everyone there deserved a refund. It was THAT bad.

ESPN has a long history with wrestling. I grew up watching territory wrestling after school on ESPN.

Not to mention, this is the same ESPN that shows poker, and actually showed the world corn hole championship this past summer. They've been going down this roadbof dubious events a long time.

I think the issue with ESPN is that Sportscenter is their "flagship" show and there is absolutely no reason for Sportscenter any longer. I watched Bautista's home run on ESPN.com about five times last night. I haven't watched Sportscenter in eons.

It was nothing to do with anchors or ESPN policy or whatever - though everyone will cite that. It has to do with the fact that I don't need to wait until 11 to see scores and highlights now.

ESPN has a long history with wrestling. I grew up watching territory wrestling after school on ESPN.

Not to mention, this is the same ESPN that shows poker, and actually showed the world corn hole championship this past summer. They've been going down this roadbof dubious events a long time.

They have come full circle. Back to the things like wrestling and Canadian football that kept them afloat in the early days. I have also noticed a good amount of arm wrestling in prime time hours recently on ESPN/ESPN2.  

It is literally scary how perfect NXT is. It's scary how triple H can script things perfectly there but obviously be undermined on Monday nights

Yep...its a much better product, and has been for a while. And it shows when NXT talent really does not move up to the main roster. Sasha did not want to leave NXT, and part of that is probably because they have botched most of those transitions. Her NXT persona is perfect, but that is going to change...and there is no reason for it.

Another prime example is Cesaro...Vince thinks he is boring, but the fans obviously don't. He may be the best pro wrestler on the roster, but because he is not a larger than life, cartoonish character, he just does not do it for Vince. The falling ratings show that Vince may not know what the fans want more than the fans themselves.  

Edited by lovetoaster

Yep...its a much better product, and has been for a while. And it shows when NXT talent really does not move up to the main roster. Sasha did not want to leave NXT, and part of that is probably because they have botched most of those transitions. Her NXT persona is perfect, but that is going to change...and there is no reason for it.

Another prime example is Cesaro...Vince thinks he is boring, but the fans obviously don't. He may be the best pro wrestler on the roster, but because he is not a larger than life, cartoonish character, he just does not do it for Vince. The falling ratings show that Vince may not know what the fans want more than the fans themselves.

And Vince loses patience quickly in guys he doesn't already believe in, like Cesaro. They'll get one shot or go long stretches on between opportunities, whereas they'll give Roman Reigns one long continuous push and show all kinds of patience. Edited by justice98

Didn't know Lana and Rusev were a real-life couple. He just proposed to her. WWE writers always interfering with someone's personal life. Crazy!!!

Precious was Jimmy Garvin's wife. Sunshine was Jimmy Garvin's cousin.

Which is ****ing weird but anyway.....

Randy Savage and Elizabeth were on the verge of real-life divorce when they had their WWF wedding.

Nickla Roberts (Babydoll) was basically turfed out of the business by Dusty because she married Sam Houston. Dusty didn't think a main eventer (like her) should associate with a Jobber to the Stars (like him). Dusty was weird.

Missy Hyatt was a ring rat (an 18 year old Missy drove from Tampa to Atlanta in order to try to meet Tommy Rich. She gave Rich a hummer in his Trans Am that night. Tommy Rich currently has no teeth) who broke in with her boyfriend Jack Tatum and then upgraded (at least in star power) to Eddie Gilbert.

Eddie Gilbert then moved onto Madusa, which indicates that Eddie Gilbert was some kind of hypnotist.

Woman/Fallen Angel/Nancy Benoit was a teenager who posed for S&M magazines when Kevin Sullivan brought her into Florida. (By the way, young Woman/Fallen Angel/Nancy Benoit/Nancy Sullivan was in another league from your average valet). She rarely worked with Sullivan after that until he booked their divorce by having her travel with Benoit to trick the wrestlers into thinking their affair was real. And then it became real.

Lady Blossom was Chris Adams' ex-girlfriend. She then married wrestler/crazy person Billy Jack Haynes in order to avoid deportation. After that, Adama brought her into Texas to be young Steve Austin's valet. Austin and she had two kids and Austin adopted Adams' daughter. Which is weird since Adams trained Austin. (On a related note, Magnum TA married Tully Blanchard's ex wife and raised Blanchard's kids. I wonder if they got together at Thanksgiving and watched the I Quit Match. Wrestling is weird).

A year after he divorced Lady Blossom, Austin married Debra - Mongo McMichael's ex wife.

Sable was married to Marc Mero, He adopted her daughter from her first marriage; her husband died. When they divorced, she married Brock Lesnar.

Tammy Sytch/Sunny....Christ...who has the time? Jim Cornette wanted Chris Candido to work Smoky Mountain Wrestling but he couldn't pay enough. Then he met Candido's girlfriend and agreed to hire them both. He trained her to be a manager. Then went to the WWE and apparently never broke up though she banged the entire locker room. Now she gets arrested for breaking and entering into the homes of indie wrestlers that she dates.

From what I know, Sherri Martel never dated a wrestler, probably because they weren't tough enough for her. Sherri Martel makes me sad. I really liked her.

Stacy Kiebler was a Nitro Girl and then got promoted and then dated David Flair of all people and somehow became famous enough to date George Clooney and is now married to a CEO. She probably doesn't belong on this list.

Beulah's story is nuts. She was dating Brian Pillman and followed him to Alberta, Canada when he worked for Stampede. She played his sister on-screen for a while. Then she vanished and did nude modeling. Somehow, she met Raven who got her into ECW six years after her brief stop in Stampede. In the end, she married Tommy Dreamer (who is shockingly only 44 years old). Their twin daughters were on The Sopranos as Janice and Bobby's baby. Wrestling is so weird.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

How do we know if any of these guys are good talkers? They are reciting lines on a script they received 20 minutes earlier. Steve Austin is a limited actor. But he's an all-time great promo.

If they are going to force these guys to be actors, they would probably be better off hiring super-athletic theater majors.

Also, all the promos are too long.

Ric Flair and Dusty sold out buildings for 20 years by cutting two minute promos twice a week.

Another issue with today's promos is the same thing Heyman learned from Dusty. "Where's the money?"

True, they're not selling the old $29.95 PPV anymore but what they're trying to sell is a **** ton of $9.99 Network subscriptions. In this age, you can go online & read the results of a PPV man ch within 15-30 minutes of it happening. The morning after, you can probably find a free torrent of it to watch.

Right now it's the guy in the ring on the stick that HAS to get the heat to make you shell out your ten bucks to watch him get his ass kicked live. And right now, they have very few guys that can do it. So many misread they're using special attraction matches like BROCCCCCKKKKK LESSSSSSSNAR vs Taker or a Sting/Rock/Austin appearance.

The most incredible part of that post is that I just verified that Tommy Dreamer is indeed, only 44 years old.

That is astonishing. I figured that he was probably in his early 50s. It just feels like he has been around forever, and he has put his body through a lot.  

Also if you want something to watch about Pro Wrasslin, check the Rivalries episode on Flair & Steamboat. That segment where Flair bullies Steamboat to the point he snaps & rips Flair's clothes off until he's wearing nothing but a neck tie & his tighty whities & Flag r is fuming during the interview, THAT'S pro wrestling.

Closest thing RAW has had to being pro wrestling was that pull apart brawl between Brock & Taker.

Some of you old school fans might be interested in knowing that "Jim Crockett Promotions: The Good Old Days" disk 1 is up on YouTube. It's over 2 hours long. See it before it's pulled.

Edited by DM72
  • Like 1

Some of you old school fans might be interested in knowing that "Jim Crockett Promotions: The Good Old Days" disk 1 is up on YouTube. It's over 2 hours long. See it before it's pulled.

That's a good watch. Long, but good. Miss those days.

• Like 1