Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

It's a weird drug, technically a stimulant and a depressant, its been shown to initially raise blood pressure then cause it to drop to below where you originally started, and there have been studies showing it can help some with anxiety and cause it in others.  

There simply isn't enough research to show everything it can do or not do, even down to the individual cannabinoids, not just THC.  But what's absolutely true is that it effects different people different ways.  You have to more careful with broad generalities with marijuana then most if not all of the other drugs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=24884989

2 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I'm almost 30 and been smoking regularly since I was a teenager, I also do incident response for a living (anxiety is neither a problem for me nor an option in my profession).  Your reaction to weed vs my reaction to weed should tell you something right there. 

Is this study saying they believe it causes it, or they just noticed a link between people smoking and having anxiety issues?  If they already have anxiety issues, what makes think they won't try weed to help with that?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

anxiety is positively associated with cannabis use. I think its just correlation. I haven't finished reading the paper

Ya, I won't deny the correlation, but I would challenge anyone (not saying you're saying) claiming its more likely to cause it then help it.

Papers that complex the conclusion almost doesn't even make sense unless you finish it, but here it is (glad we don't have to pay for it, which I've done before):

The results of the current meta-analysis suggest that anxiety is positively related to cannabis use or cannabis use disorders in cohorts, not in treatment for anxiety or cannabis use disorders, drawn from the general population of 10 countries. These associations were only small in magnitude, but were observed even after controlling for confounding factors (demographics, other substance use, and/or other psychiatric comorbidity). The prospective analysis revealed that cannabis use at baseline was positively associated with anxiety at follow-up. While the causal direction of this relationship could not be established using the available data, this result suggests that even infrequent cannabis use is associated with clinically relevant symptoms of anxiety. Therefore, an appropriate assessment of cannabis use might be necessary for an effective treatment of anxiety disorders.

There just isn't enough research being allowed to help confirm that marijuana actually causes anxiety more then helps it (especially in this country because its still Schedule I), while there are definitely studies to use some of the cannabinoids to help treat it and other diseases/disorders. 

There's a lot going on with that plant that we just do not understand yet, but one day we will.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

While the paper doesn't say marijuana causes anxiety I think its safe to infer that based on the results, there is no evidence marijuana helps anxiety 

That is absolutely not true

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/04/23/604307015/anxiety-relief-without-the-high-new-studies-on-cbd-a-cannabis-extract

"I think there's good evidence to suggest that CBD could be an effective treatment of anxiety and addiction" and other disorders, says Dr. Esther Blessing, a psychiatrist and researcher at New York University. "But we need clinical trials to find out."

So far, evidence of the substance's anti-anxiety effect comes from animal research and from very small, short-term human studies that suggest CBD exhibits anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety properties.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/medical-marijuana-faq

How does it help?
Cannabinoids -- the active chemicals in medical marijuana -- are similar to chemicals the body makes that are involved in appetite, memory, movement, and pain.

Research suggests cannabinoids might:

Reduce anxiety
Reduce inflammation and relieve pain
Control nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy
Kill cancer cells and slow tumor growth
Relax tight muscles in people with MS
Stimulate appetite and improve weight gain in people with cancer and AIDS

You're too smart for me to be having to find this for you.

just quick review of the npr article 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307846 the second study they used only had a sample size of 24 people which 12 were placebo, and 12 received treatment, I don't think is statistically significant

the first study isn't primarily about anxiety. It's more nuanced to say it helps anxiety, though they found a negative correlation between anxiety and marijuana, but then again that's not evidence of causation. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/phar.1780

for anxiety in the wiley link, they link two different research papers, the second one is the first link about 12 people, the other citation is https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584612002801?via%3Dihub

I don't have time to review this right now but i'll try to get to it later. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I don't have time to review this right now but i'll try to get to it later. 

If that's what you want to do it won't hurt, but keep in mind you said "no evidence", you're better off just letting that go as too broad a statement, that's not a hill worth dying on.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

If that's what you want to do it won't hurt, but keep in mind you said "no evidence", you're better off just letting that go as too broad a statement, that's not a hill worth dying on.

Concrete evidence might have been a better choice of words. The researched papers cited in the npr all mention clinical trials must be done. 

1 minute ago, pjfootballer said:

The Warriors movie is on right now on El Ray channel.

”Warriors...come out and play...yay!”

Duuuude... I have that set as my previous channel while watching the Caps game. :cheers:

Does anyone know if the book is any good?

Archived