Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I went to a yoga class for my first time ever this morning.

It absolutely kicked my ass. And it was beginner's yoga too. I'm in a fairly decent shape, but this is a whole different sort of conditioning, with the stretching and holding all of the positions. It also wasn't "hot yoga" (which is done in like a 115 degree room), but the room was still kept pretty freaking warm.

It also didn't help that I was out until about 4 AM at the bars last night.

I went to a yoga class for my first time ever this morning.

It absolutely kicked my ass. And it was beginner's yoga too. I'm in a fairly decent shape, but this is a whole different sort of conditioning, with the stretching and holding all of the positions. It also wasn't "hot yoga" (which is done in like a 115 degree room), but the room was still kept pretty freaking warm.

It also didn't help that I was out until about 4 AM at the bars last night.

P90x has a day just for yoga. The whole thing is an hour and a half long. **** me did it kick my ass the first few times I went through it. I never thought much of yoga but it did wonders for my athleticism, flexibility, and strength. Keep at it dude.

P90x has a day just for yoga. The whole thing is an hour and a half long. **** me did it kick my ass the first few times I went through it. I never thought much of yoga but it did wonders for my athleticism, flexibility, and strength. Keep at it dude.

Yeah, this class was about 90 minutes, with only the last 15 being a cool down/meditation part. I could hold a lot of the stretching poses, as well as most of the balance poses, but I had no chance at doing things like rolling all of my body weight on to my shoulders while pointing my whole body up in the air towards the ceiling, or folding my legs up over my head. Took me awhile to get a hang of the breathing tricks too, which is a pretty key part of it. I guess the one part of a real yoga routine that I didn't quite expect is that there really aren't any breaks- any "rest" you get is just an "active rest," where you're still working something.

There was one absolutely ripped older lady, looked like she was probably in her mid to late 50's, but she was holding perfect handstands and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. At the beginning of the class, I said that it was my first time doing yoga, and she gave me a big thumbs up and a smile. But then this younger guy next to her (who had already taken his shirt off), gave me a sort of awkward glare. I'm pretty sure he looked at me as a dumb noob.

A good buddy of mine has been doing yoga about once a week for the last month and a half and has been hyping it up to me, and I've always been curious about giving it a try. Apparently I got the "easy" Sunday beginner's class instructor though- the normal instructor is a lot harder, but she was out of town this weekend.

The real reason I went today though was because I've been dating this girl for the last month, and she used to go to this yoga studio like 3 or 4 times a week, but has kind of fallen off lately and wanted to start back up today, and I told her I'd go with her to check it out. I don't know how many more times I'll go, it's only 7 dollars per class which is pretty good, but I'll see. I'm more concerned about getting myself back on track with my lifting and especially my running.

Yeah, this class was about 90 minutes, with only the last 15 being a cool down/meditation part. I could hold a lot of the stretching poses, as well as most of the balance poses, but I had no chance at doing things like rolling all of my body weight on to my shoulders while pointing my whole body up in the air towards the ceiling, or folding my legs up over my head. Took me awhile to get a hang of the breathing tricks too, which is a pretty key part of it. I guess the one part of a real yoga routine that I didn't quite expect is that there really aren't any breaks- any "rest" you get is just an "active rest," where you're still working something.

There was one absolutely ripped older lady, looked like she was probably in her mid to late 50's, but she was holding perfect handstands and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. At the beginning of the class, I said that it was my first time doing yoga, and she gave me a big thumbs up and a smile. But then this younger guy next to her (who had already taken his shirt off), gave me a sort of awkward glare. I'm pretty sure he looked at me as a dumb noob.

A good buddy of mine has been doing yoga about once a week for the last month and a half and has been hyping it up to me, and I've always been curious about giving it a try. Apparently I got the "easy" Sunday beginner's class instructor though- the normal instructor is a lot harder, but she was out of town this weekend.

The real reason I went today though was because I've been dating this girl for the last month, and she used to go to this yoga studio like 3 or 4 times a week, but has kind of fallen off lately and wanted to start back up today, and I told her I'd go with her to check it out. I don't know how many more times I'll go, it's only 7 dollars per class which is pretty good, but I'll see. I'm more concerned about getting myself back on track with my lifting and especially my running.

I've always been intrigued with yoga, or at least the meditation aspects of it. And to be honest, I don't even think I'm flexible enough to do even half of that **** without snapping my spinal column, so I'll probably pass.

Theres a yoga class at the Golds that I go to in the evening, and it's literally all women, and there are a few GI Jane looking chicks in there too. It's mostly 40 and 30 somethings in there. They do take it very seriously though. I've always had a lot of respect for that type of workout though.

I've always been intrigued with yoga, or at least the meditation aspects of it. And to be honest, I don't even think I'm flexible enough to do even half of that **** without snapping my spinal column, so I'll probably pass.

Theres a yoga class at the Golds that I go to in the evening, and it's literally all women, and there are a few GI Jane looking chicks in there too. It's mostly 40 and 30 somethings in there. They do take it very seriously though. I've always had a lot of respect for that type of workout though.

Eh, the beginner's class type of stuff isn't entirely that hard, from a flexibility perspective at least. There are a few positions that can be pretty tough to nearly impossible for a rookie, but if somebody is even an average athlete and already in decent shape they shouldn't be killing themselves with most of the stretching that's required.

Honestly, the hardest part for me was simply having to hold certain poses that worked my core and upper body muscles in ways that they're definitely not used to be worked, and getting the breathing techniques down.

I've heard Hot Yoga is completely ridiculous though. The studio I went to today does it a few times a week, and the girl I went with told me that she's been to a yoga class immediately after the Hot Yoga class, and they literally have to blast the A/C on its highest level to help re-cool the room, as well as mop and clean the floors from the actual pools of sweat that people create. I can't imagine working out in a 115-120 degree room with a group of other people, let alone doing something like yoga. My friend who's been doing yoga for about a month and a half now tried it once, and he said he threw up after about 40 minutes.

I forgot to mention this last week, but Florida State is the only school in the country to produce a 1st round pick in each of the:

NFL (Christian Ponder)

MLB (Sean Gilmartin)

NBA (Chris Singleton)

2011 drafts. As Larry David would say: pretty, pretty, pretty good.

I forgot to mention this last week, but Florida State is the only school in the country to produce a 1st round pick in each of the:

NFL (Christian Ponder)

MLB (Sean Gilmartin)

NBA (Chris Singleton)

UTexas just missed...

NFL (Christian Ponder)

MLB (Sean Gilmartin)

NBA (Chris Singleton)

There's 4 drafts, not 3.

:)

Maybe she smokes pot because she's an Eagles fan. Convert her to as Skins fan and problem solved!

Definitely converted her to an IONTOP fan.... In Smiley form:

:beerglass:chug::chug::smooch::beerglass:hump::hump::snore::hump::hump::thumbsup::1stplace:

There's 4 drafts, not 3.

:)

True, but I didn't specify the number of league drafts I was referring to (like "produced draft picks in the 3 major drafts in 2011").

And I'm assuming you're talking about the NHL draft. But that'd be pretty tough to include since A) what percentage of those guys even go to NCAA schools versus playing internationally at some level?

and B) it'd be especially tough for a school in Florida to produce a draft pick at all in the NHL, let alone a 1st round pick.

So that's why I chose to just leave that out.

Archived