Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Nah you won't. The Mavs will still be champs.

yes, but the team is old. Jason Kidd is a fossil. Dirk is 33 and, despite looking as strong as ever, is aging. Terry is older than Dirk. Marion is around the same age. This team could have one more run left in them if there is a 2011-12 season. Next season is probably Dirk's best chance to win another ring. Kidd might be forced into retirement by a lockout. A lockout is no big deal for a team that is young like the Thunder or [insert young team here]. But for an old team like the Mavs, it is devastating. I know we just won the championship, but part of the fun of the next season is just seeing how close that team can come to doing it all over again. I'm not gonna sit here and say the Mavs would repeat in 2012. But if they kept the core of the team together, then I don't see why they couldn't be a legitimate threat. But if there's a lockout, that pretty much goes out the window.

once again lier

How does that make me a "lier"? :ols:

I was referring to my thoughts on the other Dallas sports teams. I would still be depressed if there is no NBA season next year. Especially since we just won it all. The lockout in 1998-99 was nothing, because the Mavs weren't any good. But now? When the Mavs are on top of the world and have a window that is still slightly open, but closing fast? Awful timing.

Well, the longer it goes...the longer you get to say the Mavs are the defending champs.

They wouldn't technically be defending anything. :ols:

Exactly

Plus no one is challenging them for the crown so he should be happy

Again, the Mavs are old, with pretty much everyone 33 years old and above. How would I not be depressed if these players are robbed of a year at this age? I really am flabbergasted at how y'all can honestly think this is a good thing for the Mavs and their fans.

Spartacus, congrats man, I can tell just by reading some of your posts in here for the last year or so, that you've really been working your ass off. Much respect.

Meanwhile, after reading through the Stadium, looking at posters who I've never heard of freak out over the fact that there is still no deal between the owners and players, it reminds me ( along with many other situations ) of how much my personality has changed these last few years, and especially in this last year, since it was my first full year in the "real world." Three years ago, I would've been pissed, but right now, I really couldn't give a damn if there's football or not for this entire season. The 4th is upcoming, and so is my 23rd birthday, and as of this moment, nothing else matters to me. Life is good.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm really more excited by the fact that having a job means I can stay in Miami. If I didn't find one within the next month or so, I'd probably be forced to move back to my family in Orlando.

And despite whatever McD5 might say, Orlando sucks.

Plus I have a lot of friends from college in the South Florida area and I've been dating a pretty cool girl down here for the last month or so (although she's a UM grad and has Hurricanes stuff all over her apartment...:mad: ), so all of that would have been annoying to give up.

Also agreed about the NFL lockout. I just don't really care. I think roughly 90% of people who post about it, don't understand it like they think they do (which is reflected in how many people take the side of the owners and/or blame the players), although that's largely a product of how crappy the general reporting has been on all of the legal stuff involved.

I also know the Redskins will still be struuuugggling this year, so a shortened season featuring a bunch of a rookies doesn't sound so bad to me. Might net the Redskins a really great 1st round pick.

I care about the upcoming college football season about 100 times more than the upcoming NFL season.

I can't believe that " Maybe tr1 Was Right" thread is still going in the ATN. That **** is embarrasing. :doh:

That thread shouldn't have gotten more than 30 replies max.

Might be the worst existing thread on Extremeskins.

I can't think of a worse one.

I care about the upcoming college football season about 100 times more than the upcoming NFL season.

Absolutely agreed. I said as soon as the 2010 season was over that I wouldn't be all that concerned, since we obviously suck anyways and will for awhile, and since there will still be college football, which I like just as much, if not more than the NFL at times.

Aside from the coverage at Wimbledon, and NBA Playoffs coverage, I really haven't followed ESPN all that much in the last 3=4 months, and I'm glad I haven't. In the last few years, ESPN has become more and more overdone by the minute, and it just got to the point where enough was enough, and I took an indefinite hiatus.

Good luck with the lady though, hopefully things work out between you two. With any luck, she'll lead you away from the Darkside, and convert you into a Canes fan. :ols:

I suppose I do it sometimes to, to an extent, but the amount of people that think they know everything about everything baffles me. The bodybuilder thread is one of those times where I'm in complete awe of people's ignorance. Yes, some bodybuilders/powerlifters have muscles that are nearly 100% show. Others, though, have a ton of functional strength to go along with that show. Oh well. I'll just keep reading and laughing.

I guess I did the same in the violent video game thread, talking about something when I'm not a parent. However, I do admit that the 18+ and a parent must buy for someone under 18 isn't a bad idea. :shrug:

Agreed about College Football, Spartacus. Coming to ECU has really opened my eyes to college football. I've always enjoyed it, but now I'm absolutely nuts about it. I'm super excited about college football season, though I know my school has no shot at winning the national title. It's so much more fun to watch, in my opinion.

The NFL can kiss off right now as far as I'm concerned.

Put me in that don't care about the Lockout camp. I mean this time of the year for me anyway is baseball season. And I honestly can say that I haven't missed football much since the Super Bowl ended. March Maddness was great, Stanley Cup playoffs were great, the NBA playoffs were good, the CWS was fun to watch, and MLB has been fun to watch. There's plenty of other sports to choose from other than the NFL. Plus like Spartacus said, its not like we're expecting much from the Skins this year anyway, so its tough to get excited about the season.

I also agree with you Sinister about ESPN. Now that its just baseball, I watch MLB Network for highlights. Their analysis is way more in-depth than ESPN anyway. Granted I do enjoy Baseball Tonight, but SportsCenter is becoming unwatchable and I used to watch it every single day starting back in middle school. So for me to get tired of it says something lol. Its like they try to do too much. Just go back to the roots of showing me highlights mixed in with some analysis. That's all I need.

Put me in that don't care about the Lockout camp. I mean this time of the year for me anyway is baseball season. And I honestly can say that I haven't missed football much since the Super Bowl ended. March Maddness was great, Stanley Cup playoffs were great, the NBA playoffs were good, the CWS was fun to watch, and MLB has been fun to watch. There's plenty of other sports to choose from other than the NFL. Plus like Spartacus said, its not like we're expecting much from the Skins this year anyway, so its tough to get excited about the season.

I also agree with you Sinister about ESPN. Now that its just baseball, I watch MLB Network for highlights. Their analysis is way more in-depth than ESPN anyway. Granted I do enjoy Baseball Tonight, but SportsCenter is becoming unwatchable and I used to watch it every single day starting back in middle school. So for me to get tired of it says something lol. Its like they try to do too much. Just go back to the roots of showing me highlights mixed in with some analysis. That's all I need.

Yeah, and to be honest, I feel that way about a lot of things these days, sports media coverage, regular news, music, etc. I think there are just way too many companies that are more focused on a "look", more than they are on actual substance. Even though I don't follow baseball all that much anymore, I've always held ESPN's baseball coverage in high regard, that and the 30/30, E:60, and Outside the Lines on occasion. I'm really starting to learn not to give a **** about much else.

Yeah, and to be honest, I feel that way about a lot of things these days, sports media coverage, regular news, music, etc. I think there are just way too many companies that are more focused on a "look", more than they are on actual substance. Even though I don't follow baseball all that much anymore, I've always held ESPN's baseball coverage in high regard, that and the 30/30, E:60, and Outside the Lines on occasion. I'm really starting to learn not to give a **** about much else.

If there's one thing ESPN has always done well, its MLB. The announcers are solid (say what you want about Joe Morgan, but I liked him), Baseball Tonight is one of the better shows on there too. Their 30 for 30 season was great. E:60 is pretty good. OTL has some good topics on there from time to time as well.

You're right about shows worrying about their "look" more than their substance. People watch SportsCenter for highlights. If you watch ESPN now, you may see a 20 second clip of a baseball game last night. Then you'll have 5 minutes of Herm Edwards screaming about something dumb. Just show me highlights damnit!

ESPN has totally ****ed up their MLB coverage though. No one cares about the camera angle from behind home plate, which they seem intent of cutting too a lot.

The correct angle, imho, is always to show every pitch from centerfield looking over the pitcher.

Yeah it seems they are messing with a good thing there. And they need to stop showing the K zone too.

what does espn do good anyway? why watch it besides when they have a game on?

College football and basketball, imho. But not the god awful college football pre-game shows. Corso is a moron. Herbsteit is in love with him himself. Mark May's ego barely fits in the room. And..Lou Holtz is Sylvester the Cat.

Archived