Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Maybe its because a lot of us didn't grow up in the DC/MD/NoVa triangle?

Thus, there were other teams that we logically would root for. Like the Reds (who owned a lot of the area of Southern WV - which I lived in 'til I was almost 8) or the Mets (whose AAA team was in Norfolk)...

Plus, when I grew up in Va. Beach, the Skins were the only NFL game in town (other than the Colts). But they moved away when I was 8..so why would I root for them? And really, the Colts? :ols:

That said, I am a Caps (and sadly, Bullets) fan. Of course, my current geography also means I actively root for the SF Giants and SJ Sharks.

You proved my point, though. As an Orioles fan you're not a true "Washington" sports fan. (Not bashing you for it, just making the point)

In my experience, the people who change teams were only ever casual fans. When I lived in Minnesota I rooted for the Twins because I didn't really have a fav baseball team, though in the past I'd claim the Nationals or Braves because they were my "home" teams. But I would never move to another city and start rooting for their football team, because I'm a genuine fan of the Redskins. If that makes any sense.

The thing with DC O's fans is that for most people, there wasn't a Washington baseball team when they were growing up. When I was a kid, it was the Orioles. Now that the Nats have come to town, I'm not going to abandon the O's. I have no problem with the Nats and I follow them, but the O's are my team. If the Nats were here when I was growing up, I'd definitely be a Nats fan. But I can't just give up on the O's just because another team moved in.

I don't think Virginia Skins fans would dump the Skins if a team moved to Richmond.

I think people need to get over who other people root for. Let people root for whoever the hell they want.

That's how I feel. As long as you've been a fan of that team the whole time, I have no problem who you root for. As long as you aren't a Cowboys, Lakers, Yankees, Duke fan.

I also don't get into cheering for other teams if my team isn't in the playoffs. I will bet on other teams, but not root for another team.

For me, if my team isn't in the playoffs, I don't want certain teams to win like the Yankees, Cowboys, Duke, Penguins, Flyers, Eagles, Celtics, Lakers, etc. I'd rather watch a certain team win a championship if my team can't. It's not about becoming a fan of those teams, but a fan for that game/series. I couldn't just look at the rest of the NFL playoffs and not care who wins it because I'm also a fan of the sport.

I think people need to get over who other people root for. Let people root for whoever the hell they want.

Perhaps. Although there is something to be said for people who root for 6 different colleges in 2 different sports.

:ols:

---------- Post added April-17th-2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

Of course, I also think that if you didn't grow up in that town or attend that university (or your immediate family didn't attend it), you really have no business being a fan of that college.

I'm looking at most of you Duke/Notre Dame fans.

Perhaps. Although there is something to be said for people who root for 6 different colleges in 2 different sports.

:ols:

Those people annoy me, but what can you do? They're trolls. Getting into it with them is just stooping down to their level. I don't give them the attention.

That's how I feel. As long as you've been a fan of that team the whole time, I have no problem who you root for. As long as you aren't a Cowboys, Lakers, Yankees, Duke fan.

I'm surprised the Cowboys have maintained bandwagon fans for so long without winning any championships. Those people should have converted to the Patriots or Steelers years ago. We all know they had no problem switching from the Bulls to the Lakers.

I'm surprised the Cowboys have maintained bandwagon fans for so long without winning any championships. Those people should have converted to the Patriots or Steelers years ago. We all know they had no problem switching from the Bulls to the Lakers.

And now to the Heat

You proved my point, though. As an Orioles fan you're not a true "Washington" sports fan. (Not bashing you for it, just making the point)

I do agree that us O's fans who root for them are not in a sense true "Washington" sports fans if you have a team from Baltimore in there. But with that said, all of my teams, except the O's are Washington teams (Redskins, Wiz, Caps, United and Mystics). The Senators left town when I was 4. If they had have replaced the Sens with the Nats in the late 70s, I would be a Nats fan. But I liked baseball and they were the "local" fare at the time.

What's funny about the whole Orioles/Washington debate is, there are fans that root for the Terps, who really aren't a DC team (if you count a team within the city limits). I was never a Georgetown, GMason, UDC or Howard fan and rooted for the Terps. So, technically you can call Terp fans, not true "Washington" fans if they don't root for one of the teams in DC that I listed. Food for thought.

I actually find myself trying to become a Nats fan, but it isn't easy. I am just not wired that way. Anyways, growing up in the DMV, I would go to O's games with my Dad as a kid and then there was Cal Rikpen Jr. Those two things are going to make you a life long fan. I see your point, but outside the O's, I would never be a fan of another team from another city no matter what.

The thing with DC O's fans is that for most people, there wasn't a Washington baseball team when they were growing up. When I was a kid, it was the Orioles. Now that the Nats have come to town, I'm not going to abandon the O's. I have no problem with the Nats and I follow them, but the O's are my team. If the Nats were here when I was growing up, I'd definitely be a Nats fan. But I can't just give up on the O's just because another team moved in.

I don't think Virginia Skins fans would dump the Skins if a team moved to Richmond.

I understand that and I have no problem with it. It is just another factor taking away from the number of potential Washington sports fans.

I do agree that us O's fans who root for them are not in a sense true "Washington" sports fans if you have a team from Baltimore in there. But with that said, all of my teams, except the O's are Washington teams (Redskins, Wiz, Caps, United and Mystics). The Senators left town when I was 4. If they had have replaced the Sens with the Nats in the late 70s, I would be a Nats fan. But I liked baseball and they were the "local" fare at the time.

What's funny about the whole Orioles/Washington debate is, there are fans that root for the Terps, who really aren't a DC team (if you count a team within the city limits). I was never a Georgetown, GMason, UDC or Howard fan and rooted for the Terps. So, technically you can call Terp fans, not true "Washington" fans if they don't root for one of the teams in DC that I listed. Food for thought.

I personally never thought of Maryland or GMU as "DC" teams, but maybe that's because I'm not from the DC area. But DC is the major metro area they are both associated with, so I don't see a problem including them in the Washington sports bunch. Really though, I think there are too many variables that go into which college team people support to really include college teams as a requirement for being a city/region's sports fan.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Tough enough for my girlfriend to find a house she likes in the area she wants,then finding one and waiting for Fannie Mae to decide on a realtor or realtors. But now add to that her realtor dragging his feet because he simply doesn't like it,well that makes things really tough. Sigh.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Tough enough for my girlfriend to find a house she likes in the area she wants,then finding one and waiting for Fannie Mae to decide on a realtor or realtors. But now add to that her realtor dragging his feet because he simply doesn't like it,well that makes things really tough. Sigh.

That's why I'm glad we had a realtor that let us do our own thing. She was basically there to give us things to look for, show us houses, and help us negotiate a price.

That's why I'm glad we had a realtor that let us do our own thing. She was basically there to give us things to look for, show us houses, and help us negotiate a price.

This guy has been okay,and I understand he wants to get her in to a nice home,but that's where the problem lies. He doesn't think it's a nice home. Put it this way. I went out there in mid February and she had set up a time for us to look at houses,(he's been pretty good at sending her information on houses on the market on a frequent basis). One of the homes was this one. On a short sale and an older home. As we walked through the house,he stated how he had never walked in any further than the first few steps of the front door before turning around. Now we did walk the house and I talked to him about potential problems and some of the good things about the house,but he has never been excited about this house. He drags his feet on this thing. Sigh. She's doing almost as much leg work as he is,(she really wants this house). Tomorrow she's putting her foot down.

This guy has been okay,and I understand he wants to get her in to a nice home,but that's where the problem lies. He doesn't think it's a nice home. Put it this way. I went out there in mid February and she had set up a time for us to look at houses,(he's been pretty good at sending her information on houses on the market on a frequent basis). One of the homes was this one. On a short sale and an older home. As we walked through the house,he stated how he had never walked in any further than the first few steps of the front door before turning around. Now we did walk the house and I talked to him about potential problems and some of the good things about the house,but he has never been excited about this house. He drags his feet on this thing. Sigh. She's doing almost as much leg work as he is,(she really wants this house). Tomorrow she's putting her foot down.

That's a pain. I guess its a good thing that he is looking out for her, but at the same time, if she is comfortable buying it, he shouldn't get in the way.

This guy has been okay,and I understand he wants to get her in to a nice home,but that's where the problem lies. He doesn't think it's a nice home.

hmmm... Never heard of a realtor balking at a clients choice like that. They usually just want the commission. Is it a personal friend or something? Something in the sale of this that will delay or tie up his money?? I know you know construction so I assume you have identified most of the problems with the house and there are no real surprises. Odd.

hmmm... Never heard of a realtor balking at a clients choice like that. They usually just want the commission. Is it a personal friend or something? Something in the sale of this that will delay or tie up his money?? I know you know construction so I assume you have identified most of the problems with the house and there are no real surprises. Odd.
Well he isn't a good friend,but he has known her for quite some time. Now mind you,5 years ago this guy wouldn't talk to you if you didn't have $300K or more to spend,so I think that may be a bit of an issue there. He tends to look down his nose a bit at some homes. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at first because he's been in the business for a long time,but when he stated he hadn't even walked the home completely,I knew there was an issue. Yeah. Near as I can tell,there was only one real issue,and that was a piss poor job in the master bath. Water damage at the base of the tub,but no mold. The bank,(or more than likely Fannie Mae),paid a foreclosure company to come in spruce the place up. You know the drill. Done fast,done cheap,but looks good enough to make it easier to show,(only one offer on the place for the 3 + months it was on the market).

The Nats are kind of a weird thing for me. I'm "DC" through and through, and I love everything about the city, including all the sports teams. But I left the DC area in 2001 and will never live in the DC area again.

Since the Nats didn't exist until 2005, like most DC metro folks who liked baseball, I followed the Orioles. Memorial Stadium, Camden Yards. A ton of great memories. I can't even relate to the Nats really, I never "knew" them.

That's a pain. I guess its a good thing that he is looking out for her, but at the same time, if she is comfortable buying it, he shouldn't get in the way.

Agreed. As I said,I think his big problem is all aesthetic. Mind you,that's saying a lot even after they,(Fannie Mae I believe),cleaned it up. Let's just say that it's like walking in to a time machine in some spots. ;)

Agreed. As I said,I think his big problem is all aesthetic. Mind you,that's saying a lot even after they,(Fannie Mae I believe),cleaned it up. Let's just say that it's like walking in to a time machine in some spots. ;)

Hopefully you know someone who can do renovations... Someone with maybe a construction background that you know will do a good job... Maybe someone who also takes great pictures...

Hopefully you know someone who can do renovations... Someone with maybe a construction background that you know will do a good job... Maybe someone who also takes great pictures...

:ols: Yeah. I mean I may have someone in mind. :silly: I told her that if/when Fannie Mae puts the house back out there,(which shouldn't be any higher than the last listing price before it went in to foreclosure),and she starts talking price,don't tell them about me. Take down the price based on paying someone to for the whole thing. :)

Archived