Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

With DC sports slowly trying to build young teams lately (John Wall, RG3, Stasburg, Ovechkin), I wonder if DC will eventually get their own "ESPN: DC" site.

Not that DC sports teams deserve it, and although Washington sports teams don't have much success over the last 20 years, I still believe DC is a great sports town. DC is 1 of only 12 cities in the country with all 4 major sports teams.

RG3 will generate a lot of hype and bring a lot of attention to the Skins, and if the Wiz draft some talent to play along side Wall, maybe they could make some noise in 2 years. Nats are up and coming...

If this were the 1980s when the skins were dominating, there would definitely be an "ESPN: DC." Here's to hoping RG3 might bring enough hype to where ESPN feels we deserve one..

Went to Subway today and got a Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich and a sandwich to eat later

Was sitting back earlier watching CNN eating said sandwich #yolo

Also maybe it's just me but I just get the sandwich or I get it plus water. Don't get soda, no coffee, etc. :)

Went to Subway today and got a Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich and a sandwich to eat later

Was sitting back earlier watching CNN eating said sandwich #yolo

Also maybe it's just me but I just get the sandwich or I get it plus water. Don't get soda, no coffee, etc. :)

Did something start this huge yolo thing? Or did it just pop up out of nowhere.

Did something start this huge yolo thing? Or did it just pop up out of nowhere.

"The phrase has been a motto for people for a long time, but the shortened version, YOLO, has gained popularity since the release of the song "The Motto" by Drake and Tyga."

-UrbanDictionary

With DC sports slowly trying to build young teams lately (John Wall, RG3, Stasburg, Ovechkin), I wonder if DC will eventually get their own "ESPN: DC" site.

Not that DC sports teams deserve it, and although Washington sports teams don't have much success over the last 20 years, I still believe DC is a great sports town. DC is 1 of only 12 cities in the country with all 4 major sports teams.

RG3 will generate a lot of hype and bring a lot of attention to the Skins, and if the Wiz draft some talent to play along side Wall, maybe they could make some noise in 2 years. Nats are up and coming...

If this were the 1980s when the skins were dominating, there would definitely be an "ESPN: DC." Here's to hoping RG3 might bring enough hype to where ESPN feels we deserve one..

Someone else mentioned this and I kind of agree - that there aren't enough "DC" sports fans (fans of all the DC teams). I mean, on this board alone you see a lot of people with sigs including teams from other cities. A lot of people move here and only pick up 1-2 teams (usually the Caps), or are born around here and move away and only keep 1-2 teams (usually just the Redskins).

Someone else mentioned this and I kind of agree - that there aren't enough "DC" sports fans (fans of all the DC teams). I mean, on this board alone you see a lot of people with sigs including teams from other cities. A lot of people move here and only pick up 1-2 teams (usually the Caps), or are born around here and move away and only keep 1-2 teams (usually just the Redskins).

I'd assume it also has something to do with the lack of championships... Not everyone that follows DC teams are hardcore enough to join a message board dedicated to a team. But give the casual fan a championship? They're more likely to care about "their team" which means ESPN will be able to market a product that caters to them. Right now, they know that with an ESPN DC, they'll just be taking traffic from their ESPN.com site and not gaining a whole lot more people...

It's about the $$$$

I don't even live in the area and I'm a Nats and 'Skins fan. I've loved the Celtics my entire life and Boston is one of my favorite cities (along with DC) and I don't really have a hockey team. So, I'm 2/3. :ols:

Even if I move I would still root for the Redskins, Capitals, and O's. I grew up here, but don't like basketball and can't get into following United. I would still rock my gear in a new city. These are my teams for life.

The other day I was talking to a guy at the gym about the NHL playoffs and he said he was a Caps fan now. Used to be a Boston fan in college and was a Rangers fan before that. I don't understand how people can change up loyalties like that. I also don't get into cheering for other teams if my team isn't in the playoffs. I will bet on other teams, but not root for another team.

Redskins would always be #1 to me whereever I lived.

A good buddy of mine has always been a diehard Cowboys fan, and still us, but when me moved down to Jacksonville, he started going to some games and showing support. Still a cowboys fan, but it can be fun to support a (non conference) local team!

Even if I move I would still root for the Redskins, Capitals, and O's. I grew up here, but don't like basketball and can't get into following United. I would still rock my gear in a new city. These are my teams for life.

You proved my point, though. As an Orioles fan you're not a true "Washington" sports fan. (Not bashing you for it, just making the point)

The other day I was talking to a guy at the gym about the NHL playoffs and he said he was a Caps fan now. Used to be a Boston fan in college and was a Rangers fan before that. I don't understand how people can change up loyalties like that. I also don't get into cheering for other teams if my team isn't in the playoffs. I will bet on other teams, but not root for another team.

In my experience, the people who change teams were only ever casual fans. When I lived in Minnesota I rooted for the Twins because I didn't really have a fav baseball team, though in the past I'd claim the Nationals or Braves because they were my "home" teams. But I would never move to another city and start rooting for their football team, because I'm a genuine fan of the Redskins. If that makes any sense.

Archived