Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just had a "Moment" with a squirrel.

Mickalino

I have a couple...

first one, not squirrels, but animals. I was at Yosemite park for a weekend in November several years back. Yosemite valley is fairly high up in the hills and it is COLD in November, and we were staying in those "tent cabins" that have wood floors and canvas walls. Anyway, there was a full moon while we were there and our group (there were 3 women and two men) decided to go for a walk while we sipped our bourbon. we wandered past the camping area that is next to the tent cabin area, and the nearest site had no tents, and no possessions of any kind anywhere in the area... but a HUGE raging fire in its fire ring, so we stopped for a few moments to warm up, and to refresh our drinks.

Anyway, we were sitting at the picnic table, 5 of our group on one side of the table right up to the fire, and i was on the other side. at one point as we were talking, one of the the people on the other side got very quiet and slowly say up very straight with a damn serious look on his face... and said in a quiet voice: "Patrick, do not move suddenly, there is a bear RIGHT behind you"

now let me tell you... this individual is ALWAYS full of crap. I was convinced there could be ANYTHING behind me BUT a bear.

A troupe of naked gypsies? OK.

Elvis, Jimmie, Jannis, and the Alien? Fine.

but a bear...? no way.

well, needless to say when i laughed and turned around eventually.... there was a ginourmous HUGE bear, about 4 feet way from me, just sitting there on his ass looking at me with a sanguine "do you have any food for a fellow traveler down on his luck" look on his face. I immediately did a triple reverse lutz back flip with a half twist in the layout position, landing on the other side of the table, partially in the fire.

but the bear didn't care... he just sat there and looked at us, ****ing his head like "plllllleeeeeease, twinkies?"

eventually, after a few minutes of stunned silence, we began to clap our hands, and smack on the table, and pick up burning logs, and yell, to get him to move along... which he did... slowly, and with sidelong "thanks for nothing, bud" looks.

BUT he moved TOWARDS the campgrounds, not away from them... and just as he started to move we heard a group of people start coming up the path he was heading towards...... so..... being the civic minded citizen that i am, I called out in a loud clear voice "THERE IS A BEAR HEADING TOWARDS YOU!!" and shined my uuber flashlight on him to kindly show the people where he was... just as he passed in front of a small tent.

The people QUICKLY went off in the opposite direction... and about 30 seconds later a couple scrambled out of the tent as they tried to claw their way in to their underwear, with armloads full of crackers and wine and cheese and twinkies and doritos to dump in the "bear lockers"

There are signs ALL OVER yosemite warning you not to have food in your tents.... because bear can and WILL smell it, and will come in for their share. I think the bear silhouette on the side of their tent while they were scrumping was just enough of a wake up call for these folks :)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
I had a moment with a rabbit this afternoon. Little ****er scared the crap out of me when I was walking to class bc I thought it was a rat crossing in front of me.

Damned rodents!!!

I had a squirrel home invasion once. I was in my apartment when I heard something in the wall. All of a sudden a squirrel dropped out of one of the heating ducts in the wall near my living room floor. I don't know who was more freaked out - it or me. I eventually scared it out the back door and onto the porch. Whew.

I totally forgot about this thread, but a couple of weeks ago I had my "squirrel moment".

I had just opened my front door to let the dogs out. Out goes my black lab who doesn't need a lease and then out goes the coonhound/beagle mix. I decided to stay in the threshold of the door and not step out for some reason. Literally about two seconds after the dogs took off out the door, I see a flash in front of my eyes, followed by a LOUD thud. I look down and see this squirrel taking off in a flash.

What had happened was the squirrel was on top of my house, about 26 feet high, and had slipped off the roof. He hit the front porch like a big pile of ****, bounced, got up and scampered up a tree. If I had been out my door by about a foot the ****er would have landed on my head.

I guess it would have been pay back from all of his relatives I've shot and ate!

I opened the dumpster to throw some trash away once, and heard a scuffling noise. Like an idiot, i stuck my head in the dumpster to see what it was. Squirrel was eye to eye with me. I froze for a second.

Little crazy squirrel lept on the top of my head and took off running.

I froze for another few seconds just processing what happened.

usually if im driving and I see a deer, the deer has the "Hey, where do I know that guy from" look on his face. I guess he was thinking of someone else though.....

LOL!!! :ols: :rotflmao: :ols: LOL

Where has this thread been all my life and how have I been a member of this board for years and never found this beauty!?

Freddie the ossabaw island boars attacked another farm hand yesterday, leaving a huge gash in his leg... now it's terror alert orange at the animal farm. I hope I get some complimentary sausage if they put him down... Now I have to walk around the farm with a hatchet in case he mistakes me for the guy he hates. But I'm the food guy so he probably doesn't mind me so much. If I don't make it back to ES ever again you'll know what happened to me.

Interesting this thread pops back up... i'm cuurently locked in mortal combat with a mouse who has gotten into my house. The rotten rodent has managed to clean my traps twice now.

Cheese,, gone

Peanut butter.. gone.

And nothing but some little turds left behind to mock me.

I shall prevail.

~Bang

Ok, didn’t know whether to put this in there kind of long. I was about 17 and just learning to bow hunt deer. I had found the perfect crossing spot for deer and the trail was well marked. I got to tree stand, climbed into it, still pitch dark. I got the full camo going, even the face paint. Now the tree stand is just nothing but plank of wood nailed to this huge limb that sticks out from the tree and I am sitting with my back against the trunk of it.

Daylight approaches, I am as quiet and still as church mouse and out of the corner of my eye I see this huge ball of something fall to the ground from about 15 ft up and 20 or 30 yards off to my right. It starts shaking and fluttering around and I see it’s a huge owl, which kind dunno. He gather’s himself up spreads these enormous wings and flies straight towards me and lands on the same limb I’m a sittin on. I could have reached out touched this thing. It was beautiful, huge, feathers were perfect. He’s sittin there not moving and starts rotating his head. The feathers just slide across each other without a ruffle, and he starts staring at me, with those big black eyes. I don’t blink, he doesn’t blink. Then he slowly moves his head towards me, looking closer, like WTF is that!!! Gives out this big HOOT! Flies off lands on another limb maybe 50 or 60 yards away and just starts staring at me. Coolest thing I ever saw hunting.

By the way I never did get a deer with a bow and arrow. In fact I shot at one three times, got down from my tree stand, retrieved my arrows, turned around same deer came back and looked at me, I shot at it again two more times, he ran off and I gave up hunting. They say white men can’t jump, this can’t jump or hunt.

Interesting this thread pops back up... i'm cuurently locked in mortal combat with a mouse who has gotten into my house. The rotten rodent has managed to clean my traps twice now.

Cheese,, gone

Peanut butter.. gone.

And nothing but some little turds left behind to mock me.

I shall prevail.

~Bang

Take a small waded up piece of bread, about the size of a pea, push it on the trap bait pad so it is secure, then get some peanut butter and smear a bit on the bread. After that make sure that the catch on the bait pad isn't holding the trap bar to well. You'll probably have to bend that catch plate a little so it holds it ever so lightly. Set the trap in a high traffic area. I had a mouse problem 2 weeks ago did this exact thing and caught two mice within two hours of the lights going out.

Oh, i know,, i've caught a bunch over the years... I have a lot of woods on my property so they come with the landscape, and sometimes get in along with the occasional lizard.

This little guy is pretty clever.

I'll catch him tonight. He seems to have a taste for dog biscuit.

~Bang

We are in the midst of a full on war with a beaver (or beavers) at my parents farm. You'd think a three acre pond would be enough for them, but no. They must down every tree the lines the pond. The result is that our dock is completely submerged and the water has flooded around the dam. Eventually this could knock out the entire dam and we will have no more pond. Also, it would destroy a lot of property on the neighbors farm.

We've tried traps and everything short of dynomite. The ***** of it is that if you do get rid of one beaver family, others arive in short order to take their place. Any one have other ideas?

Archived