Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just had a "Moment" with a squirrel.

Mickalino

It must be the squirrels in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

We have an avacado tree in our yard; squirrels love them some avacado. I walked out my back door once and boom, not three feet away there's a squirrel trying to carry an avacado up the telephone pole. The avacado was so heavy his neck was sort of contorted to the side. Well, I sort of scared him when I walked out and we both sort of froze there and looked at each other. **Note: this was not the icy stare, that comes later.

So I stood there and watched him with his contorted neck and finally I said "have you got 'er, looks like a biggin." Then splat, the avacado falls, and the squirrel looks down at it as if to say " mother f***!"

I said " aw damn man you almost had it." Then instead of running away, he looks up at me with the icy stare for a moment, then ran. I think it was the "I'm gonna kill you the next time I see you" look.

What a amazing thread...........the only story iu have is i once gave a Squirel a sour stick and he was so hyper like he had adhd......He jumped and did this move mid air and then hit a pole and was knocked out for like a minute, true story.

Never give them anything sugary lol

• 2 weeks later...

not a squirrel, but there is a cat that liked to postion itself around my steps to my house to greet me. Now this was at night time, when id be coming home from work, it was dark and i was tired, i would be walking the sidewalk coming about to get onto the steps and i see him laying down with a twig in his mouth. The first time i saw him, scared the **** outta me, he saw me and jumped into the bushes as if saying "oh ****, not scared, but as if he had got caught smoking lol. I see him sometimes when i leave my house, wandering under cars and the sidewalk. We lock eyes alot, i usually nod at him, i like to think he nods back

It must be the squirrels in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

We have an avacado tree in our yard; squirrels love them some avacado. I walked out my back door once and boom, not three feet away there's a squirrel trying to carry an avacado up the telephone pole. The avacado was so heavy his neck was sort of contorted to the side. Well, I sort of scared him when I walked out and we both sort of froze there and looked at each other. **Note: this was not the icy stare, that comes later.

So I stood there and watched him with his contorted neck and finally I said "have you got 'er, looks like a biggin." Then splat, the avacado falls, and the squirrel looks down at it as if to say " mother f***!"

I said " aw damn man you almost had it." Then instead of running away, he looks up at me with the icy stare for a moment, then ran. I think it was the "I'm gonna kill you the next time I see you" look.

I think you are right. When I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa I had a resident squirrel that use to come into my room and sit on my coffee table watching TV with me as I fed him Frito-Lay BBQ corn chips.

I think you are right. When I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa I had a resident squirrel that use to come into my room and sit on my coffee table watching TV with me as I fed him Frito-Lay BBQ corn chips.

True, but be careful.

Those little fookers will turn on you, in a heartbeat.

Crunching on your Fritos one minute, the next minute they're trying to crunch your ear off.

• 11 months later...

Pretty funny story about a hummingbird. I was at my grandma's last thanksgiving eating dinner, watching football, and all that good stuff. And we hear this loud thump on the sliding glass door in the sun room. So i go over and see this hummingbird laying on the deck. The damn thing just flew right into the glass. So i open the door to check on it and its still alive but unable to fly. So i picked it up and it stayed in my hand for probably 10 minutes or so and then i guess it came to and started flying. Well it lifted off out of my hand and flew to about eye level with me, looked me in the eye for a second as if it was saying thanks and then flew off. It was a rather strange animal encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

Those squirrels are at it again:

Squirrely squatter stakes claim on Greendale attic

History will show it was the squirrel who started this war.

In an instinctive act of aggression, it occupied the territories known as the Jensens' attic. The Greendale family had no choice but to fight back.

For weeks now the battle has raged, with each side advancing and retreating. Dave Jensen, the king of the castle under siege, has developed a healthy respect for the gray squirrel across enemy lines.

"Normally when you see a squirrel, it's just a squirrel. But now it's like I know him. He's a very worthy adversary," Dave said when I embedded with his forces this week.

Dave, who runs a marketing and communications firm when he's not playing Bill Murray in "Caddyshack," liberally applies pronouns to the squirrel. Sometimes he says him, sometimes her. Who can say for sure?

The fact that the animal tore up a bunch of insulation in the attic and built a pink fiberglass nest up there suggests a soon-to-be mom. It was all the scratching and scampering above their bedroom ceiling that alarmed Dave's wife, Vicki. She's had it up to her soffit with this critter.

"It is a mix of being distraught and being hysterical," she told me in an e-mail. "Our house has lost $15K in value with the sheet metal, six holes in the side of the house, roofing being torn out, a radio with 24-hour sports talk being blared out the back window (yesterday it was Rush). And now we have a fake owl outside the window in an effort to scare him. Oh, we also have a spotlight to prevent him from chewing."

That's not Rush as in "Today's Tom Sawyer, mean, mean pride." It's Limbaugh, who's been known to actually attract rodents.

The squirrel has chewed holes right through the eaves to get into the attic. When Dave would nail sheet metal over one hole, the squirrel would gnaw another. This required him/her to hang upside-down from the rain gutter, which it's also been eating.

The owl from Stein's is mounted on a two-story pole with a habit of falling over. The Jensens also have deployed two squirrel traps. This clever squirrel has managed to score the bait of peanut butter and seeds from both without getting caught.

"What if he's got this all figured out?" Dave said. "He may have been eyeing this house for years."

As we spoke, the squirrel darted across the backyard. "That's him!" Dave said, slowly advancing, binoculars in hand.

While I was there, the squirrel hid in a pine tree and didn't do any of the things the Jensens have alleged. That may be part of its brilliance, Dave joked, making it seem like the humans have gone mad and need to be institutionalized. Then it gets the house.

"Meanwhile," Dave said, spying the top of the tall pine, "he's probably got a reporter from the Squirrel Times up there. I think he's one-upping me."

Vicki admits the squirrel is cute, but she'd kinda rather see it, um, dispatched than inside their house. She said she called the Greendale police and was told, yeah, she'd probably get arrested if she tried a .22-caliber solution.

Click on the link for the full article

There's these squirrels that are constantly running around my patio, and the trees that grow out of it. They're always humping and doing all sorts of stuff. Anyway, one day, I noticed I heard some rustling inside my walls, so I'm like, "Oh ****, you mean they've somehow gotten inside the inside of my home and into my walls ?!?".

So I look outside and realize they're running inside that hole that connects to the vent hose from the clothes dryer. And with the rustling noises I hear, it sounds like they're building some kind of nest inside the house (if squirrels actually do that). So now I'm really pissed. I go out there and grab the garden hose and before I start spraying, I see one of the squirrels peek out of the hole. So I start gushing the water at him. I'm probably not accomplishing anything, and I might even be doing harm to the hose fixture, but alas, this is my revenge against the intrusive squirrel.

So I walk inside for a second, then I see him run out of the hole and back onto the patio. I run outside to scare him away, and he jumps onto a tree, then goes around to the opposite side of the tree, to where I can't see him. THEN, this is the eerie part, instead of taking off, far away from me, he briefly comes around the tree, while still ON the tree, then peeks around the corner, and just gives me this ICY stare, before taking off again. It was the wierdest moment I ever had with an animal. There was something telepathic going on there. It was his moment to say, "I'll be back for you." The thing that got me is the squirrel went OUT OF HIS WAY to come back and stare at me like that.

Anyone ever had a strange "moment" with an animal, where you exchanged icy glances like that, and there was some kind of message being conveyed ?

I once had one of these "moments" with a squirrel...

I was living in your neck of the woods and left my aprt door open, watching TV and eatting a small bag of BBQ fritolay corn chips. I saw something move out of the corner of my eye and saw that a squirrel had entered my room. He just stops and stares at me. After a second I understand what he wants so I throw him a corn chip and he grabs it and runs for the door. Just before he gets to the door he stops and turns around again. I knew he was saying thanks in his own special way because he dropped a turd on my floor. I get chills everytime I think about that day...

• 3 months later...

Archived