Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just had a "Moment" with a squirrel.

Mickalino

Mick... similar story here... different results

I spent the better part of two days tracking a flying squirrel that had found his way into our condo in Atlanta via the dryer vent..... only our condo is about 60 feet off the ground above a parking garage. He found his way in and would prowl around the house in sneak attack mode so as to not wake the dogs. One day I heard a noise in the laundry closet while working at my computer, I slowly opened the laundry closet door and there he was... sitting on the laundry shelf staring at me like.... "What?".... like he belonged there and I was interrupting him. He must have gotten aggitated and flew (controlled glide) over my shoulder to the computer chair.... little fooker was fast as hell and disappeared. Our game of hide and seek resumed when I found him in our spare bathroom.... chased him through the house.... and get this.... ACROSS THE LENGTH OF THE BODY OF ONE OF OUR DOGS..... who was old, senile, deaf, and asleep on the couch. He ran into our bedroom and onto our bed.... I imagined he was frolicking around and skipping his heels feeling pretty confident I couldn't catch him. And in an instant.... he was gone... poof... never saw him again that day.

I called a critter removal place... one that specializes in Squirrels... and when I told him it was a flying squirrel he didn't believe me. He set traps around the place but said the chances of catching him were slim to none. I said..."look, this thing flew like a glider and has a bunch of excess skin (fur) between his hands and his feet... it's a flying squirrel... and a sly little fooker".

The next day.... I hear a noise in the kitchen... a kind of nibble and snicker.... and I walk in to find him sitting on the edge of the dog bowl helping himself to a "kibble". I cornered him in the corner of the kitchen cabinets... grabbed a leather glove and put it on..... and picked him up. I've never heard the blood curdling scream that left that little fooker's mouth. Of course, to him I probably looked like Godzilla.

I took him to the parking garage and let him loose.... and what do you think he does? He runs right up the wall and right back into the dryer vent. :doh:

The next morning we had the maintenance man put a wire mesh screen over the vent... so if he was in there he was staying in... .and if he wasn't.... well... his lap of luxury condo visit was over.

Later that afternoon I hear scratching in the tub in the spare bath... so I run in there. There he is, sitting in the tub, kind of wallowing around like he's bathing or something. I half expected him to be wearing a bathing cap and utilizing inflatable "squirrel water wings". I actually think he was getting water that was dripping from the tub spout. This time I didn't have a glove... so I grabbed a dry cleaning bag and smothered him... scooped him up..... got the glove.... then tore through the plastic until I could get a hold of him with the gloved hand.

I took him back down to the garage and was going to launch him like a baseball down into the flood pond behind the condo. Instead... I just opened my hand on the ground and he stood there.... kind of like... "man.. thanks for not launching me... sorry for bothering you.... nice place.... later".... and he ran off.

I called the critter place to come get his traps, told him that I had caught the furface myself... which he couldn't believe. I showed the pictures of him, sitting on the dog bowl.... and he was floored. Not only did I catch a flying squirrel in my house... I caught him TWICE.

If I can find the pictures of him I'll try to scan them and post them.

Mick... similar story here... different results

I spent the better part of two days tracking a flying squirrel that had found his way into our condo in Atlanta via the dryer vent..... only our condo is about 60 feet off the ground above a parking garage. He found his way in and would prowl around the house in sneak attack mode so as to not wake the dogs. One day I heard a noise in the laundry closet while working at my computer, I slowly opened the laundry closet door and there he was... sitting on the laundry shelf staring at me like.... "What?".... like he belonged there and I was interrupting him. He must have gotten aggitated and flew (controlled glide) over my shoulder to the computer chair.... little fooker was fast as hell and disappeared. Our game of hide and seek resumed when I found him in our spare bathroom.... chased him through the house.... and get this.... ACROSS THE LENGTH OF THE BODY OF ONE OF OUR DOGS..... who was old, senile, deaf, and asleep on the couch. He ran into our bedroom and onto our bed.... I imagined he was frolicking around and skipping his heels feeling pretty confident I couldn't catch him. And in an instant.... he was gone... poof... never saw him again that day.

I called a critter removal place... one that specializes in Squirrels... and when I told him it was a flying squirrel he didn't believe me. He set traps around the place but said the chances of catching him were slim to none. I said..."look, this thing flew like a glider and has a bunch of excess skin (fur) between his hands and his feet... it's a flying squirrel... and a sly little fooker".

The next day.... I hear a noise in the kitchen... a kind of nibble and snicker.... and I walk in to find him sitting on the edge of the dog bowl helping himself to a "kibble". I cornered him in the corner of the kitchen cabinets... grabbed a leather glove and put it on..... and picked him up. I've never heard the blood curdling scream that left that little fooker's mouth. Of course, to him I probably looked like Godzilla.

I took him to the parking garage and let him loose.... and what do you think he does? He runs right up the wall and right back into the dryer vent. :doh:

The next morning we had the maintenance man put a wire mesh screen over the vent... so if he was in there he was staying in... .and if he wasn't.... well... his lap of luxury condo visit was over.

Later that afternoon I hear scratching in the tub in the spare bath... so I run in there. There he is, sitting in the tub, kind of wallowing around like he's bathing or something. I half expected him to be wearing a bathing cap and utilizing inflatable "squirrel water wings". I actually think he was getting water that was dripping from the tub spout. This time I didn't have a glove... so I grabbed a dry cleaning bag and smothered him... scooped him up..... got the glove.... then tore through the plastic until I could get a hold of him with the gloved hand.

I took him back down to the garage and was going to launch him like a baseball down into the flood pond behind the condo. Instead... I just opened my hand on the ground and he stood there.... kind of like... "man.. thanks for not launching me... sorry for bothering you.... nice place.... later".... and he ran off.

I called the critter place to come get his traps, told him that I had caught the furface myself... which he couldn't believe. I showed the pictures of him, sitting on the dog bowl.... and he was floored. Not only did I catch a flying squirrel in my house... I caught him TWICE.

If I can find the pictures of him I'll try to scan them and post them.

awesome story, he never came back?

Great thread. :laugh: I have a couple...

We have this game cabinet that is built into our bookcase in the living room, and one day I started hearing scratching noises coming from it. We set traps, figuring it was a mouse and forgot about it for a while.

A couple of days later I was sitting watching TV and caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. I turn... and a freaking mole/vole/shrew thing was scurrying blindly across the living room floor. I sorta just sat there in surprise for a moment then ran into the kitchen and grabbed a potholder (one of the ones that you put over your hand like a glove). When I came back it was making a break for the dinning room, so I grabbed it in the gloved hand.

That thing was vicious, man! It was blind and stupid, but it's teeth destroyed that potholder in the two seconds it took me to get to the door. I was so freaked out I pitched it out of the door as soon as it was open... feel kinda bad now, the poor thing went sailing.

The weird thing is we haven't caught a single mouse since then. :paranoid: They tell their friends or something... creepy.

Oh! And a deer ran into my car. I was a a full stop at a light and a bunch of the things came from nowhere and went around and over the hood of my car. One didn't really get it and ran smack into the passenger slide of the hood. Left a dent and everything.

To this day no one believes me when I tell them where the dent came from. "No, I didn't run into a deer..."

I shot a squirrel a few years back with a BB gun. I was 18 maybe. Was probably about 25 feet away, pumped the gun maybe 20 times, took one shot BAAM! right in the jugular, no lie. I walk up to him and this poor 2 llb. harmless animal has this gushing bulliet wound and is gasping air. I still have this image in my head. He's laying on his back on the top of this cement wall covered with own blood. Eyes fixed right on me, ( i'm maybe a foot away). I'll never forget this. Anyways, I literally sprint to the garage, looking for anything to put this poor **** out of his misery, I come back with an ax ( the big ones) and finish him off. I still feel terrrible, to this day.

CSkin, that's an incredible story that makes mine pale in comparison.

How in the hell did you catch the little fooker, as you put it - was it pure adrenaline, or do you have cat-like reflexes ?

I loved the part about helping himself to a Kibble - man, is there anything that those little fookers will NOT eat ???

FT Myer Va outside the chowhall: A squirell was about 6 feet up into the tree with a chicken leg in both hands eating it like corn on the cob....

I stood there watching cause it seemed odd to see a squirell eating chicken and it actually stopped eating it looked at me and turned its back to continue...

FT Myer Va outside the chowhall: A squirell was about 6 feet up into the tree with a chicken leg in both hands eating it like corn on the cob....

I stood there watching cause it seemed odd to see a squirell eating chicken and it actually stopped eating it looked at me and turned its back to continue...

Those little fookers will eat ANYTHING :laugh:

They take their time, too.

Yesterday, I decided to throw some bread to my "patio squirrel".

I brought one whole slice, prepared to feed him the whole thing within minutes. I threw one little ball of bread about a half-inch in diamter, and he runs and grabs it, then runs up the tree a couple feet high. Then he's hanging UPSIDE-DOWN on the bark, facing me WHILE he's eating it. He nibbles it, one microscopic piece at a time, and takes several minutes just to eat each little ball of bread.

. Then he's hanging UPSIDE-DOWN on the bark, facing me WHILE he's eating it.

These little "fookers" are acrobats! I'm pretty sure every bird feeder that my dad has ever gotten thats been advertised as "squirrel proof" has been figured out by them.

Smart as hell, too. I guess thats what you get when your entire life consists of searching for food.

OK, my wife saw this thread (checking up on me :laugh: ) and insisted I post about "our" squirrels.

We have a hot tub built in to the deck in the back yard, and most mornings we are in it drinking coffee and listening to jazz or blues music watching the birds and squirrels eat out of several feeders. We usally toss peanuts (in the shell) to the squirrels and feed some by hand. A few are old friends "Rocky", "White ears", "Chomp" ( because he has no tail :laugh: ).

While usually uneventful, the action heats up when my siamese cat "Mojo"

arrives. Twice, while trying to evade mojo, a squirrel fell into the hot tub. Total serenity turns to shear panic, wife screaming, squirrel swimming for his life, me and mojo both trying to help the squirrel out of the hot tub, bluejays laughing "that'll teach you to eat our food".

OK, my wife saw this thread (checking up on me :laugh: ) and insisted I post about "our" squirrels.

We have a hot tub built in to the deck in the back yard, and most mornings we are in it drinking coffee and listening to jazz or blues music watching the birds and squirrels eat out of several feeders. We usally toss peanuts (in the shell) to the squirrels and feed some by hand. A few are old friends "Rocky", "White ears", "Chomp" ( because he has no tail :laugh: ).

While usually uneventful, the action heats up when my siamese cat "Mojo"

arrives. Twice, while trying to evade mojo, a squirrel fell into the hot tub. Total serenity turns to shear panic, wife screaming, squirrel swimming for his life, me and mojo both trying to help the squirrel out of the hot tub, bluejays laughing "that'll teach you to eat our food".

A cat named Mojo.....hmmmm

Must be fun to be a neighbor of yours, and hear you walk out the front door, once in while, with cupped hands over your mouth, yelling, "Where's my Mojo ?! Has anyone seen my Mojo?! I lost my Mojo !!"

:laugh:

Must be fun to be a neighbor of yours, and hear you walk out the front door, once in while, with cupped hands over your mouth, yelling, "Where's my Mojo ?! Has anyone seen my Mojo?! I lost my Mojo !!"

:RIMTAP!:

it's even funnier when I knock on thier door and ask them "have you seen my mojo"

When my brother in law was younger he took a job with an exterminating company. An elderly lady contracted them to get a racoon out of her chimney. He built a fire in the fireplace in an attempt to smoke the racoon out. Said raccoon promptly caught fire and ran down the chimney into the woman's living room. My brother in law was then chasing a flaming raccoon around the living room as the lady shrieked hysterically.

When my brother in law was younger he took a job with an exterminating company. An elderly lady contracted them to get a racoon out of her chimney. He built a fire in the fireplace in an attempt to smoke the racoon out. Said raccoon promptly caught fire and ran down the chimney into the woman's living room. My brother in law was then chasing a flaming raccoon around the living room as the lady shrieked hysterically.

then he asked the lady "can I get some BBQ sauce with my broiled coon?"

Wow, did he or the company get sued?

These little "fookers" are acrobats! I'm pretty sure every bird feeder that my dad has ever gotten thats been advertised as "squirrel proof" has been figured out by them.

Smart as hell, too. I guess thats what you get when your entire life consists of searching for food.

our neighbors have a squirrel proof birdfeeder. the thing is that it worked to prevent the squirrels from getting in, but not from eating. i went outside one time, and i saw a bird had befriended the squirrel, and was kicking seeds down to him. i never thought i would see something like that.

Mick... I guess I just cornered the little fooker and he felt there was no where to run. He kind of backed himself into a corner and I put my hands out real wide in an attempt to show him there was no where to run. As my hand got closer to him... he started making this real evil screeching sound.... which proceeded to get louder and louder as I got my hand around him. After that... he quit.... didn't make a sound.... just stared at me as I carried him to the garage. Maybe he was having little squirrel life flashbacks or something... thinking he had meant his untimely doom. :laugh:

After we put the mesh over the dryer vent... we never had trouble with them again. I did, however, find a few very small picket signs outside the patio door.... one read "You're a fool...squirrel's rule!!"

Archived