Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just had a "Moment" with a squirrel.

Mickalino

There's these squirrels that are constantly running around my patio, and the trees that grow out of it. They're always humping and doing all sorts of stuff. Anyway, one day, I noticed I heard some rustling inside my walls, so I'm like, "Oh ****, you mean they've somehow gotten inside the inside of my home and into my walls ?!?".

So I look outside and realize they're running inside that hole that connects to the vent hose from the clothes dryer. And with the rustling noises I hear, it sounds like they're building some kind of nest inside the house (if squirrels actually do that). So now I'm really pissed. I go out there and grab the garden hose and before I start spraying, I see one of the squirrels peek out of the hole. So I start gushing the water at him. I'm probably not accomplishing anything, and I might even be doing harm to the hose fixture, but alas, this is my revenge against the intrusive squirrel.

So I walk inside for a second, then I see him run out of the hole and back onto the patio. I run outside to scare him away, and he jumps onto a tree, then goes around to the opposite side of the tree, to where I can't see him. THEN, this is the eerie part, instead of taking off, far away from me, he briefly comes around the tree, while still ON the tree, then peeks around the corner, and just gives me this ICY stare, before taking off again. It was the wierdest moment I ever had with an animal. There was something telepathic going on there. It was his moment to say, "I'll be back for you." The thing that got me is the squirrel went OUT OF HIS WAY to come back and stare at me like that.

Anyone ever had a strange "moment" with an animal, where you exchanged icy glances like that, and there was some kind of message being conveyed ?

If you really want to have a "moment" with a squirrel try feeding the poor ****s. It takes about a few weeks before they trust you enough to take a peanut from your hands.

BTW - this squirel didn't give you an icy stare, it gave you the "wtf got into this guy" look. They are easy to confuse.

Better be careful. :)

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jul/02/squirrel_attacks_boy_mother/?city_local

Squirrel attacks boy, mother

Both get treatment for bites as officials capture animal

By Jay Senter

Saturday, July 2, 2005

Squirrels: Cute, furry — dangerous.

An 8-year-old boy and his mother sustained minor injuries Friday night after a squirrel attacked them, clawing and biting their arms and legs outside a southeast Lawrence home.

Clara Wikstrom, 30, and her son, Jalin Wikstrom, were in Lawrence from Shawnee visiting Clara’s parents at their home on Bonanza Street. Clara and her father, Desmond Chikezie, were inside the house about 8:45 p.m when they heard Jalin yell from the front yard.

“We were inside watching Wimbledon when he came in crying,” Chikezie said. “We said, ‘what’s wrong?’ and he said a squirrel bit his arm.”

Clara Wikstrom stepped out onto the front porch to investigate when the squirrel “came out of nowhere” and attached itself to her leg.

“I have no idea where it came from,” she said, “but it was on there for a while.”

Hearing Clara’s screams from the porch, Chikezie rushed outside and swatted the squirrel off his daughter’s thigh. The squirrel then ran across the street and out of sight, Chikezie said.

When the authorities arrived, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical personnel attended to Jalin and Clara, who were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for tests, while police sought the renegade rodent.

A neighbor told police she saw the squirrel run across the street and into a roof, where police cornered the animal and waited for an animal control service to arrive.

Police Sgt. Katherine Born said squirrels were not generally carriers of rabies.

I'm curious what happened BEFORE the attack.

I don't doubt that a squirrel would attack a human, but I dont believe it would be random. Something instigated it, like maybe the boy gave the the squirrel some cheap peanuts, instead of the good, honey roasted kind.

Anyone ever had a strange "moment" with an animal, where you exchanged icy glances like that, and there was some kind of message being conveyed ?

Twice.

The first time was about two years ago when Laura and I went to Colonial Williamsburg. I was eating an apple turnover and this huge squirrel comes up to me and is begging for food. Little dude is sitting literally six inches away from my foot with this look on his face like "So, what's the deal... you gonna' give me somma' that effing turnover or what... ?"

Seriously. It was bizarre to say the least. He was looking me right in the eyes.

Second time was later that same year, near Christmas. There was this dumpster near Laura's old apartments where this bunch of cats used to eat. They adopted a possum, who apparently thought he was one of them. That wasn't the weird part. The weird part was this group of raccoons eating at the dumpster one night. I thought there were three, but there must have been 6-7 of them. I kept seeing them pop out all over the freaking place at like 2:00 AM. Behind the dumpster. In the dumpster. On top of the dumpster. Under the front of the dumpster.

Then, the mother (I assume) gather's them all up together.

In a row. By height. No kidding.

They all started at me, then turned one-by-one in ZZ Top fashion and walked off. It was the most bizarre thing I had ever seen.

I'm curious what happened BEFORE the attack.

I don't doubt that a squirrel would attack a human, but I dont believe it would be random. Something instigated it, like maybe the boy gave the the squirrel some cheap peanuts, instead of the good, honey roasted kind.

I don't know, maybe they squirted it with a hose. :laugh::laugh:

Had something similar happen this past summer....

My girls were up in their room getting ready for bed when they start screaming for me to come upstairs. When I get in their room you can hear this wild scratching on the ceiling. Crap...I knew it was a squirrel as they hang out in the trees which grow very near to our roof. So I grab a hammer and flashlight that was nearby and head into the attic. As soon as I get up there I see a squirrel climbing up the wall and he immediately scurries out the attic vent...Whew! Mission accomplished...or so I thought....'til I turned around to head back down and saw another squirrel staring me down...he had that "this is my ****ing house ***** look about him.

Scared the **** out of me...him too when I screamed like a girl...he ran down into the walls and hid there the rest of the night. Took me 2 more days to get rid of him and his buddies. Those bastages did some nice damage to the home too....one of them chewed a hole right through the soffit (I thought I was rid of them and I blocked one in when I repaired the screen over the attic vent...so he chewed his way out).

...anyway, if you have squirrels it's best to act quick to get rid of them. I was told that when they find a nice nesting area they give off this aroma that says to their other furry friends - hey come on over, I found a cool place to hang out. Also, they sometimes look for places of warmth when they are ready to give birth...so you want to have them evicted before that happens.

A couple summers ago I was enjoying a lazy afternoon...when I heard this BANGING on my window, right behind my desk. Scared the living **** out of me. Kept banging for about 5 minutes, too. Apparently the little **** wanted in for some reason....

And you were sooo deeply moved and touched by this squirrel, that you took a photo of him......wow, and I thought i was bad for having a man-crush on Scott Stapp.....never heard of such an animal-crush :laugh: :laugh:

A couple summers ago I was enjoying a lazy afternoon...when I heard this BANGING on my window, right behind my desk. Scared the living **** out of me. Kept banging for about 5 minutes, too. Apparently the little **** wanted in for some reason....

lol that's awesome. You should have let him in just to see what he wanted. A buddy of mine caught one and tried to keep it as a pet. He put it in a bird cage until it "calmed down". Despite my warnings he released it and it jumped on his face.

Squirrels are evil animals. My buddy used to live in a town house that had a tree over hang it. The Squirrels would take the tree to the roof and drop things off the room on my buddy while he was outside smoking a cig. And I'm not talking about nuts and sticks that fall off trees, I mean those little ****s were throwing rocks and other painful items.

I'll tell two stories....

I guess it's been about two or three years now, one night I let my dog out at night out of the back door like I always do. When I opened the door to let him back in, something in the yard caught my eye. So I turned on the floodlights, and there was a coyote staring at me. I stared right back at him, and I walked out onto the deck. He didn't even flinch, really... and then he went back to sniffing the ground and he wandered off. That was pretty crazy... he was probably 15 feet away or so.

story 2:

A couple of Labor Days ago, we vactioned in Breckinridge CO. The apartment that we had was on the first floor and it had its own patio. I walked casually out onto the patio to soak in the view, and I almost stepped on a lump of fur. Seriously... I was about a foot away, tops. I didn't know what it was at first... but I quickly determined that it was a fox.

I assumed it was dead of course so I started to go back inside and tell someone at the timeshare check in desk... at which point the fox opened its eyes and looked at me. Now I was a little freaked out. :) So I kind of ran inside and looked thru the glass... obviously this fox had rabies or something.

So I told the people at the desk and they laughed and said I must have met 'so and so' (I can't remember what they named him.) It was a wild fox who had been hanging out for years and was all but tame. He even let the staff members pet him.

After that, it was pretty cool. I never tried to pet the fox (didn't want to push my luck) but the fox pretty much hung out all weekend, and it was pretty cool.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Did he get scratched up real bad?
Yeah he wore the marks of his folly on his face for a week. The thing is squirrels use everything as a spring board and don't feel safe on the ground. So as soon as the cage opened it started leaping around trying to get higher and used his face as a spring board. It was funny as hell. :laugh:

Archived