Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

http://aviationweek.com/blog/law-changed-airline-industry-beyond-recognition-1978

On Oct. 24, 1978, when President Jimmy Carter signed the Airline Deregulation Act, the airline industry changed forever, and it can be argued we’re feeling the repercussions still to this day. The Deregulation Act eventually dissolved the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), which regulated U.S. airlines like a public utility, setting where they could fly and what fares they could charge. Without the CAB’s guaranteed rate of return, many storied airlines – Pan Am, Eastern Air Lines, Braniff International – found they couldn’t compete in the new world of open markets and eventually were consigned to the dustbin of aviation history.

Before Deregulation, airlines competed on service alone, as fares were regulated by the government. Many remember this era fondly as the “golden age of aviation,” when stewardesses—as flight attendants were then known—carved chateaubriand on rolling silver carts and airlines put piano lounges in the upper decks of their Boeing 747s. Passengers dressed up to board flights, and flying was glamorous and exciting—and mainly for the rich.

Deregulation resulted in the rise of a new kind of airline—the low-cost carrier (LCC). At the time of Deregulation, Southwest Airlines was a small regional airline, prevented by CAB rules from flying outside of Texas. Today, Southwest is the largest domestic U.S. carrier in terms of passenger traffic, something no one could have foreseen in 1978. 

Southwest is a success story, but Deregulation allowed airlines to innovate new business models. People Express may have come and gone (and may someday be revived) but it, and others like it shook up the white-glove world of the U.S. airline industry and democratized travel. We may peer through our rose-colored glasses and yearn for the days of chateaubriand and piano lounges, but ultimately companies like Southwest, and newer ones like Spirit, allowed more people to fly more often. 

Deregulation left the international carriers, like Pan Am and Braniff, and to a lesser extent Trans World Airlines, without robust domestic feeder networks, and it allowed domestic carriers, like Delta Air Lines, to apply for international routes. Pan Am and Braniff scrambled to create domestic networks but ultimately were unsuccessful, although it took until 2000 for TWA to be absorbed into American Airlines.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, zoony said:

i can remember smoking on planes. Pretty sure the several dozen times i flew across the ocean as a youngun in a sealed metal tube filled with smoke shaved years off my life.

My first flight was Pittsburgh to Phoenix in 1980. It was like living inside Keith Richards' lungs.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, SkinInsite said:

I don’t get how Dulles became an international hub when the airport is a ****ing dumpster fire. 

I can avoid the US based carriers but US airport in general are a **** show.

Dulles is the worst airport I've ever been to in the world.  I cannot stand that place.  Even the long term parking there sucks.

Barcelona airport was also awful, but that was more because apparently people outside of the USA don't know what lines are and it took 3 hours to get through customs because of this.

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Dulles is the worst airport I've ever been to in the world.  I cannot stand that place.  Even the long term parking there sucks.

Barcelona airport was also awful, but that was more because apparently people outside of the USA don't know what lines are and it took 3 hours to get through customs because of this.

It's because they call them queues. If you had used that term, it would have been quite orderly. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

or fat people could choose not to fly. Flying isn’t a right. Airlines owe you nothing,

mos def. But then again, i’m not the one complaining about how my fat ass can’t fit in a 22” wide seat.

Lol. Along with a planet fitness membership, we need to enroll you in reading comprehension classes.*

*the fat passenger was seated next to me

On 9/28/2018 at 7:47 AM, zoony said:

Clear is nice tho, definitely recommend

This was a good call. I arrived at BWI at 630 expecting empty lines for a 730 flight only to find a mile long line at security. 

Quickly signed up for clear, got my fingerprint/iris scans done and quickly went through the security check. 

Also my United flight to SF didn’t suck today. What a difference it makes when your seat mate is average sized. 

Still I signed up for an Alaskan Air card this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone complaining about long lines should just go get TSA approved.  Knew a guy that did that, would get to the airport 45 mins before his flight and sail right through.

A buddy of mine who is TSA approved bought our tickets for a trip earlier in the year. I somehow got the same privileges (which can't be right) and it was such a great experience. I think it's less than $100 for 5 years too...bargain! 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's because they call them queues. If you had used that term, it would have been quite orderly. 

Yeah my experience is that people in the US suck at the whole line thing. And Italy. Rome was the worst

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

A buddy of mine who is TSA approved bought our tickets for a trip earlier in the year. I somehow got the same privileges (which can't be right) and it was such a great experience. I think it's less than $100 for 5 years too...bargain! 

$85 and I got approved in less than one business day. First flight with it will be Thursday, looking forward to going through security without taking my shoes off. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, if you fly a lot it's a no brainer, especially if you can get your company to pay for it or write it off.  I fly maybe twice a year and never for work and I'd still consider it.  

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

This was a good call. I arrived at BWI at 630 expecting empty lines for a 730 flight only to find a mile long line at security. 

Quickly signed up for clear, got my fingerprint/iris scans done and quickly went through the security check. 

Also my United flight to SF didn’t suck today. What a difference it makes when your seat mate is average sized. 

Still I signed up for an Alaskan Air card this weekend.

i have a coworker who actually went on a trip and forgot his wallet.  S o be careful it can lull you into complacency ☺

Heard a story recently about a relatively small flight from West Palm Beach to some airport in an upscale area of New York.

Apparently there were NINETEEN emotional support animals aboard that single flight.

At what point do you need to bring an animal on board to protect yourself from unruly Emotional Support Animals in the next seat. Here's a story about a 50lb ESP who took a dislike to another passenger.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/national/delta-passenger-bitten-emotional-support-dog-couldn-escape-attorney-says/

What additional fee will the airline charge to bring a defensive animal on board? :806:

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 1

I hate flying so much

you all are talking about the comforts and I’m with you on all of it, but what really bothers me is what happens to engineering efforts when a race-to-the-bottom happens in capitalism. 

Mistakes get made. Lower quality people get hired. Younger, less experienced, cheaper people take over.  Lazyess and inexperience creep into the processes.  All side effects or trying to find a cheaper way to deliver a product. 

Also, people start finding interesting justifications for why a plane, or a part, can now last longer than the lifespan that was originally intended. 

• Like 1

One US airline I can vouch for is Hawaiian.   If you leave in the morning, they actually give you a decent hot meal. 

Not sure what people have against Dulles now, besides the long distance from terminal to the gate.  Worst airport I have been in would be LAX.   Not so much the airport itself, but getting into and out of it.  There is always a traffic jam.   Uber/Lyft will take like 15-20 minutes just to pick you up.  And then another 20 minutes just to leave the airport.