Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

By his height and weight, I'm guessing that Keyes plays inside linebacker.  Does anyone know for sure?  I would like to see a QB on the practice squad, but I guess if we're down to our 3rd quarterback, it won't really matter who it is.  And I'm crossing my fingers that Casey Dunn is a quality linemen.

27 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is that to imply that the earlier post about our PS QB being released is either unconfirmed or false ?

Nope,

I just got something regarding this.

So Byron Marshall has been put to IR officially and Keyes has been signed to replace him.

I haven't found a word regarding Nic Shimonek though, but it's been a weird day regarding those moves, Cutting Lyons 30 hours after signing him is Franck Kearse worse.

And we'll work out WR Devin Lucien tomorrow. Maybe to replace the QB.

Standig is usually well informed regarding this (he got nearly all the PS correct before anybody else), I just found it weird that it wasn't backed up by anyone. Riggo's Rag usually post something on guys that got signed to the PS, even the less known ones. Maybe they'll do somethng later in the evening, which I'll get tomorrow morning then.

50 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Nope,

I just got something regarding this.

So Byron Marshall has been put to IR officially and Keyes has been signed to replace him.

I haven't found a word regarding Nic Shimonek though, but it's been a weird day regarding those moves, Cutting Lyons 30 hours after signing him is Franck Kearse worse.

And we'll work out WR Devin Lucien tomorrow. Maybe to replace the QB.

Standig is usually well informed regarding this (he got nearly all the PS correct before anybody else), I just found it weird that it wasn't backed up by anyone. Riggo's Rag usually post something on guys that got signed to the PS, even the less known ones. Maybe they'll do somethng later in the evening, which I'll get tomorrow morning then.

Here's confirmation on Shimonek, along with the 2 PS moves, and the 2 roster moves

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-sign-josh-keyes-place-byron-marshall-on-injured-reserve

"The Redskins have terminated the contract of the following player:

QB Nic Shimonek"

4 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Is that your extensive experience crafting NFL rosters talking?

Really, this FO has been so successful in recent memory that fans aren't allowed to question even minor roster moves? Please. That argument never has merit on a sports discussion forum but its even more ridiculous in this instance. To hold up our FO as some paragon of scouting excellence when discussing the worthiness of our 53rd player. Wow. 

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's also the fact that he has been released a total of 10 times, in those 3 years.

What does that evoke ?

LoL, I know, it was about 50% tongue in cheek.   He's clearly shown something to be picked up by that many teams, but he's also appeared to show something that wasn't good enough.  

18 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Keyes is another ex-Brown, and who has played for 6 teams in 3 years.

That's an average of 2 TEAMS PER YEAR !

What did they see in this guy ?

He appears to be a pure special teams guy. And I would say guys like that are easily disposable unless they're just so awesome at it (like maybe Steve Tasker good). I also suspect he may be cut after Week 1 to sign a veteran as their contracts no longer have to be guaranteed after Week 1.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's also the fact that he has been released a total of 10 times, in those 3 years.

What does that evoke ?

That he has a niche as a short term small role player. Not talented enough to ever challenge for primary LB roles but a hard worker who understands his assignments.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't know if Harrison is the best example. Dude played till he was 40, which is unheard of for a LB, so he's probably an exception to a few rules.

He was referring to the start of Harrison's career.

Shoot, Look at Thielen or however you spell it with the Vikings. 

On 9/5/2018 at 4:12 PM, bowhunter said:

QB Brogan Roback was released from the Browns. Draft Reports stated that he had a strong arm and was a good leader, needed some time to develop footwork and reads. In essence a raw talent. Seems like a great candidate to learn  behind Alex and Colt. 

I watch him in the lions game.  Accurate and threw from multiple angles.  I was thinking he would be good practice squad material as I watch the game.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:12 PM, bowhunter said:

QB Brogan Roback was released from the Browns. Draft Reports stated that he had a strong arm and was a good leader, needed some time to develop footwork and reads. In essence a raw talent. Seems like a great candidate to learn  behind Alex and Colt. 

I like this guy, I think he would have made the Browns squad if they didn't have 2 NFL vets and Mayfield, he's super confident for someone who's never done anything and looked good in that last preseason game when he finally got some reps.

58 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't know if Harrison is the best example. Dude played till he was 40, which is unheard of for a LB, so he's probably an exception to a few rules.

I meant it took him being cut about 6 times before he finally stuck. After that he had a great career, but it took him some time. Sure, it's unlikely this guy will do much, but if you don't take a chance sometimes you miss out on someone like Harrison.

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I meant it took him being cut about 6 times before he finally stuck. After that he had a great career, but it took him some time. Sure, it's unlikely this guy will do much, but if you don't take a chance sometimes you miss out on someone like Harrison.

I'm just surprised they cut Spaight for him, because he strikes me as a poorer version of Spaight.

He'll mainly be used on Special Teams, and probably a fringe LB. Sort of like Chris Carter last  year.

He does appear to have good form on his tackling, though borderline helmet hits.

Here he is, tackling Chiefs backup in preseason. Probably enough to get a few man-crushes here.

Archived