Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are you excited to see play tonight?

David Smith

I know it is preseason but is there anyone on the roster you are excited to see play tonight? I am really geeked out to see Adonis Alexander play, he was a stud in college and we may have stole him in the supplemental draft. I think he has the potential to be a star and can't wait to see him in his first game action. I am also looking forward to seeing more of Da'ron Payne, we only saw a glimpse of him last week but he looks like someone who will demand double teams, I don't think a center or a guard can consistently handle him 1v1. Those are my picks, I am interested to hear what Redskins nation has to say.

Not sure if excited is the right word but I am eager to see what AP looks like in live game action.  When it comes to AP I just want something conclusive.  The contract he was signed to is pretty much zero risk to the team should he not pan out, and quite frankly I am fine either way, but I just want to see something definitive tonight from AP that makes a clear statement that he either belongs on the roster or he doesn't.

Of course - the guy we've never seen play before, in a Redskin preseason game.

And the same guy Gruden is excited to see.

https://www.redskins.com/news/adonis-alexander-ready-to-make-his-preseason-debut

" That’s the guy I’m really excited to see,” head coach Jay Gruden said. “He’s been down with a hamstring, he practiced Sunday for the first time, got an interception, so I’m excited to see him. So it’s a big-big game for him, a big two games for Adonis, so he will get plenty of reps if he’s able."

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Not sure if excited is the right word but I am eager to see what AP looks like in live game action.  When it comes to AP I just want something conclusive.  The contract he was signed to is pretty much zero risk to the team should he not pan out, and quite frankly I am fine either way, but I just want to see something definitive tonight from AP that makes a clear statement that he either belongs on the roster or he doesn't.

So do you think AP needs to show something? If he looks bad will it come down to he does not have anything left, or is he not in football shape? Does he get the benefit of the doubt with his pedigree or will he have to make this team in the next two weeks?

1 minute ago, David Smith said:

So do you think AP needs to show something? If he looks bad will it come down to he does not have anything left, or is he not in football shape? Does he get the benefit of the doubt with his pedigree or will he have to make this team in the next two weeks?

I think he needs to show something as far as proving he is better then what is currently on the roster, which he may very well be.  Like I said I am pretty neutral on his signing. I am excited about the potential of him being another Vernon Davis where he was signed with one expectation and ended up being a stud, but I am also realistic about it and won't really be disappointed if he shows he doesn't have what it takes anymore.

What I am mostly saying is I just want the matter settled by the end of preseason.  The last thing I want is for him to just look ok.....like juuuuuuuust good enough for a roster spot and it takes two months of the actual regular season to realize he is not good enough any longer.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Of course - the guy we've never seen play before, in a Redskin preseason game.

And the same guy Gruden is excited to see.

https://www.redskins.com/news/adonis-alexander-ready-to-make-his-preseason-debut

" That’s the guy I’m really excited to see,” head coach Jay Gruden said. “He’s been down with a hamstring, he practiced Sunday for the first time, got an interception, so I’m excited to see him. So it’s a big-big game for him, a big two games for Adonis, so he will get plenty of reps if he’s able."

Do you think he will stay at corner or do you think he will gain some weight and move to safety in the future?

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think he needs to show something as far as proving he is better then what is currently on the roster, which he may very well be.  Like I said I am pretty neutral on his signing. I am excited about the potential of him being another Vernon Davis where he was signed with one expectation and ended up being a stud, but I am also realistic about it and won't really be disappointed if he shows he doesn't have what it takes anymore.

What I am mostly saying is I just want the matter settled by the end of preseason.  The last thing I want is for him to just look ok.....like juuuuuuuust good enough for a roster spot and it takes two months of the actual regular season to realize he is not good enough any longer.

My favorite thing about this signing was the no risk approach.....if he does not have anything left they can cut him and it doesn't impact the team. Previous regimes would have signed him to a three year 18 million dollar contract with eight guaranteed. 

Even though it has yet to translate on the field I think the Redskins way of doing business has changed for the better. The nightmare days of signing Albert Haynesworth are a distant memory. 

7 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Do you think he will stay at corner or do you think he will gain some weight and move to safety in the future?

If Dunbar and Moreau show out this year, and Nicholson continues to get injured, I’d hope they’d think about switching him.  

With that said... the chances all of that happens, having Apke on the roster (developmental free safety), the possibility of moving on from Norman in the near future, and the need for multiple corners... I think he stays at corner.  

Regarding the OP, I’m looking forward to seeing how the ground game performs, and the DL and aforementioned corners look.  

More specifically, here’s my list (based more on curiosity than excitement):

AP

Alex and Doctson/Richardson connection

Role players Anderson and JHC

Who mans the slot and how they perform

How the backup guards look

Apke (I really like Nicholson, but his injuries concern me)

Fabian Moreau - Has he even taken snaps? I havent seen him make a play.

Shaun Dion Hamilton - will he be a starter next year?

Kalis -  seems to have the lead in making the team. Our guard depth is scary. its Catalina and Kalis.

Trey Quinn - Can he continue to get open

CBs Alexander/Johnson/Stroman - want to see them, Alexander is supposed to play tonight i think.

AP - I dont expect much .... but Im kinda excited, more excited then I want to acknowledge for some reason. Some kind of skins fan disorder of signing past prime stars in FA maybe.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

If Dunbar and Moreau show out this year, and Nicholson continues to get injured, I’d hope they’d think about switching him.  

With that said... the chances all of that happens, having Apke on the roster (developmental free safety), the possibility of moving on from Norman in the near future, and the need for multiple corners... I think he stays at corner.  

Regarding the OP, I’m looking forward to seeing how the ground game performs, and the DL and aforementioned corners look.  

More specifically, here’s my list (based more on curiosity than excitement):

AP

Alex and Doctson/Richardson connection

Role players Anderson and JHC

Who mans the slot and how they perform

How the backup guards look

Apke (I really like Nicholson, but his injuries concern me)

Is it just me or does Ryan Anderson look like a bust.....I wonder if he can move to interior linebacker. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

100.webp

LOL One of the greatest movie line of all time Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors......intensity personified. 

4 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Is it just me or does Ryan Anderson look like a bust.....I wonder if he can move to interior linebacker. 

LOL One of the greatest movie line of all time Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors......intensity personified. 

There's been some positive mentions of him in recent times. New diet, and some flashes in PS games. Maybe we find out once and for all if there's enough good there, but it may be hard to tell when he's fighting to get snaps with very good starters in front of him. 

Yes, Gary's a very impressive actor. :) and I know the answer is a copout. Somehow holds true though. I really enjoy seeing ALL the players, proven and unproven, getting work in. 

I'm not watching the game to concentrate on one player.  I watch the replay to view individuals.  While you'll obviously be able to pull out QB, RB, WR, DL, DB play, as they'll standout when they make a play, I always hope to see some 'flow' with the ball and to the ball in preseason. 

Obviously I'll look for TW and AP with runs to the Left.  I will also be watching Kelly for his runs to the Left.  If AP is switched on, we'll see him timing his gaps and a burst threw the hole.  If he doesn't get through TW block or around the corner I'd be disappointed.  I'd like to see Richardson get some deep crossing route combination with Smith.  Also like to see Doctson win a jumpball. 

Most important I'm looking forward to no major bad news post game. 

3 hours ago, David Smith said:

Personally, I think he ends up at safety. In today's fast game, I don't think he has quite the speed to play corner.

But he's got tremendous raw talent, so it might be enough to make up for his lack of speed.

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

For those who thought Bridgewater carving up our 4th/5th stringers last week was bad, wait till you see what a future Hall of Fame RB does against a bunch of future Wal-mart employees.

I think AP will be out of the game, by the time that defense comes in.

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Also the inside linebackers who are still fighting for a job like Robertson.

Robertson is an OLB.  Agree though about seeing all the backup backers get work.  Very intrigued by what I’ve heard about Robertson.  

1 hour ago, David Smith said:

Just one year in, and admitted he didn’t approach it the right way last year.  We’ll see.  I am intrigued by the idea of him at ILB... but let’s give him a bit more time first at OLB.  

He’s phenomenal :)

Archived