Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Multiple Media Outlets: Redskins W-L Predictions

Boss_Hogg

It's basically lazy predictions like most predictions-- almost all outlets more or less regurgitate the standings from the previous year. No one ever has the cajones to make bold predictions like a SB team from the year before going under .500.... which happens regularly or a team that was awful one year (Jags) coming within one or two plays of the SB the next year. I'll actually give the Sporting News some credit for creativity here-- I think they are nuts, but at least they are going out on a limb. They are basically saying this will be the worst Redskins team in modern history. OK.... 

Walter Football predicted us 10-6, and a wild card.

2018 Washington Redskins Offense: 
It's easy to forget how potent the Redskin scoring attack was in the early stages of the 2017 season. They scored 24 or more points in four of their initial six games, including a 27-point outing versus the Rams' stout defense in Week 2. Despite this, they finished at 21.4 points per contest because of countless injuries.

Many of the injuries occurred on the offensive line. There were some weeks when the Redskins had trouble fielding an entire starting quintet. The three best blockers on the front, left tackle Trent Williams, right guard Brandon Scherff and right tackle Morgan Moses, all were hurt at some point during the latter half of the 2017 campaign. Williams, one of the elite blind-side protectors in the NFL, missed six contests. Scherff, a stout protector, was out for a couple of games. Moses, who is also usually very good, managed to start every week but had severe injury problems and wasn't nearly as effective as usual. 

Williams, Scherff and Moses figure to all be healthy by the 2018 opener, which is great news for the Redskins' outlook. The other two starting linemen - left guard Shawn Lauvao (who also missed time in 2017) and center Chase Roullier - aren't nearly as good, but Washington will have so much more success blocking this upcoming season. That's great news for the newly acquired Alex Smith, whose mobility will be useful in the event of more injuries to the front. Smith, by the way, is definitely not a downgrade from Kirk Cousins for the short term. Cousins would be preferable for five years or so because he's younger, but for one season, they're virtually the same in overall talent. 

Smith will have some different weapons to work with than Cousins did in 2017. The backfield was given an injection of talent when the Redskins spent a second-round pick on Derruis Guice. It might have been possible for Guice to be a top-25 selection had it not been for some off-the-field issues. Guice should be an upgrade over either Robert Kelley or Samaje Perine, both of whom are pretty pedestrian. Chris Thompson, meanwhile, will return as a potent receiving threat out of the backfield. 

As for the receiving corps, Paul Richardson was added in free agency. It doesn't seem like Richardson is a great fit for the Redskins because he's a deep threat, and Smith doesn't like to throw downfield very often. Still, Richardson should be an upgrade over Terrelle Pryor, who was a bust signing last season. Richardson will play alongside fellow receivers the solid Jamison Crowder and Josh Doctson, who needs to finally live up to expectations. Jordan Reed, meanwhile, must stay healthy for a change after playing in just six games last year. 

2018 Washington Redskins Defense: 

The Redskins had numerous injuries on offense, and the same could have been said about their defense as well. Most of their top players missed some action, primarily their first-round pick from the 2017 NFL Draft, Jonathan Allen. 

Allen was enjoying a nice rookie campaign, but was lost after five games. The Redskins really struggled to stop the run as a result, especially in the couple of contests the other starting 3-4 end, Matt Ioannidis, was out. Having them both back will help the team put some interior pressure on opposing passers and clamp down on the rush. The Redskins should be much better in the latter aspect, thanks to the addition of 13th-overall pick Da'Ron Payne. The Alabama product is a monstrous run-stuffer who has some nice pass-rushing moves, so Washington's defensive front figures to be much better as a whole in 2018. 

The Redskins were also without one of their top edge rushers last year, missing Trent Murphy for the entire 2017 campaign. Murphy is gone, but has been replaced by former Bear Pernell McPhee, who was signed in free agency. McPhee has injury woes himself, but has been effective when he's been on the field. He'll compete with Preston Smith, who collected eight sacks in 2017, to start across from the extremely talented Ryan Kerrigan, who tallied 13 sacks this past season. Ryan Anderson, chosen in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft, will also be in the mix. 

With Washington expected to put more pressure on opposing quarterbacks, the secondary will certainly benefit and could play better even though prolific nickel cornerback Kendall Fuller was dealt in the Alex Smith trade. Josh Norman is still on the roster, however, and he should upgrade his play this upcoming season after dealing with some injuries last year. Norman, when completely healthy, is one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL, and he won't be 31 until December, so he should continue to perform well. He'll start across from Quinton Dunbar, who covered well last year, but had some tackling issues. Dunbar was rewarded with a 3-year, $10.5 million contract this offseason. The nickel role, meanwhile, will be occupied by Orlando Scandrick, who hasn't been healthy in quite some time. Adonis Alexander was obtained in the sixth round of the supplemental draft. He'll compete for playing time. 

The Redskins have a solid pair of safeties to go along with Norman and the other cornerbacks. D.J. Swearinger and Montae Nicholson performed well last year. Nicholson has some big-time upside. He had a strong rookie campaign despite being a fourth-round pick, and he could make big strides in his sophomore season. 

Rounding out the defense, the Redskins will have Mason Foster back after playing just five games in 2017. His return will provide a big boost, as he'll start next to the solid Zach Brown at inside linebacker. 

2018 Washington Redskins Schedule and Intangibles: 
The Redskins have an awesome fan base, which makes it strange that they are just 32-42 as hosts the past nine years. 

Washington's special teams were quite mixed. The team outgained its opponents on kickoff returns by a sim margin. They were crushed on punt returns, however. 

Punter Tress Way ranked 28th in net average, which is far from ideal. 

Dustin Hopkins was 14-of-17 on field goals last year, but whiffed on both tries from 50-plus. 

Washington has a mixed schedule, as the Packers, Panthers, Saints, Falcons and Texans provide tough non-divisional matchups. However, the Redskins have some easy games as well. 

2018 Washington Redskins Analysis: The Redskins were very competitive early last year. They nearly beat the Eagles in Week 1; they defeated the Rams in Los Angeles the following weekend; they then crushed the Raiders before Derek Carr got hurt; and they would've beaten the Chiefs on Monday Night Football had Josh Doctson not dropped a touchdown at the end. The Redskins fell apart late in the year, but only because of countless injuries that were discussed earlier. If the Redskins have better luck, they should be able to challenge for a playoff spot. 

Projection: 10-6 (2nd in NFC East) 

2017 Projection: 8-8. 2017 Actual Result: 7-9. 
2016 Projection: 9-7. 2016 Actual Result: 8-7-1.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/offseason2018was.php#ixzz5NhA0Lrvx

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/offseason2018was.php#7gyWko0xz84WToDa.99

We think we know who will be good but the data tells us we should wait and see.

NFL’s 2018 playoffs retain just four teams from last year, tied for least since 1991

The 2018 NFL Playoffs kick off this weekend, and you’d be forgiven for thinking that the field looks radically different from what we witnessed last January. In fact, this year’s playoffs are tied for the most season-to-season turnover since 2004. With just four teams returning that year and now during this one, it’s the highest rate of turnover since the NFL expanded its playoff field to 12 teams for the postseason following the 1990 regular season.

From the 1991 postseason through 2018, the average number of returning teams is nearly 6.4 per season. That includes the low mark of four shared by 2018 and 2004, plus the high of eight accomplished three times (2016, 2013 and 1996, respectively).

Full Article

http://thecomeback.com/nfl/nfl-2018-playoffs-retain-four-teams-last-year-tied-since-1991.html

Have we really given anyone the benefit of the doubt over the years that we are going to be good? I can't blame media outlets who aren't familiar with the ins and outs of all 32 teams for thinking we won't be very good again... that being said 2-14 is kind of a joke. Considering we have never been that bad in Dan's entire tenure, I'd have a tough time visualizing this being the team to do that.

My stance on the roster and the hope I have for this team this year is well documented. I see 10-11 wins and a playoff berth. First time in a long time I've had those type of expectations.

46 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Have we really given anyone the benefit of the doubt over the years that we are going to be good? I can't blame media outlets who aren't familiar with the ins and outs of all 32 teams for thinking we won't be very good again... that being said 2-14 is kind of a joke. Considering we have never been that bad in Dan's entire tenure, I'd have a tough time visualizing this being the team to do that.

My stance on the roster and the hope I have for this team this year is well documented. I see 10-11 wins and a playoff berth. First time in a long time I've had those type of expectations.

Yeah if someone is unwilling to pull the trigger on a 10-11 win season based on history, I totally get that. Makes sense. But the 2-14 thing is basically absurd. There is absolutely zero basis for that prediction. 

2-14? :rofl89:

Tadd Haislop, huh?  I can't believe dude gets paid to come up with this generic mess.  I can totally see why folks would expect 7 or 8 wins, but 2 is just on another level of BS.  At the same time, this is his groundbreaking summary of the team that equates to winning 2 games:

Washington Redskins

Washington's roster for 2018 is an interesting mix of old and new, and while certain positional question marks can be found, don't discredit the strengths. The Redskins are solid in their defensive front seven, and Orlando Scandrick was added to start opposite Josh Norman at cornerback. The aforementioned scenario for Smith is a positive for Washington, too. The talented QB is on a mission to re-establish himself in Year 14.

Similar to Zoony - I think at their best, 10-6.  But if the weaknesses I think the team still has are exploited + some injuries, could see 6-10.

I posted the 4 predictions from the Football Annuals here:

NFL 2018 Predictions from the Annuals

Nothing has changed my mind for my prediction.  We are mediocre, even with the changes.  We still have a mediocre head coach.  We have a tough schedule; even tougher if Luck and Watson return to form.  Alex and the team will need time to adjust to each other.  So many questions on the roster.  If they are answered in the affirmative; then a good season can be had.  If not, then expect some changes in 2019.

I say we are at best, an 8-8 team and at worst, a 6-10 team.  Gruden can't  get to 8--8; then send his sorry ass to Vegas.

18 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

dak prescoots rookie season was a fluke, cowboys 6-10 this year.

Thanks for the clarification. But the Cowboys had a winning record in Dak's second season as well.  We'll see how he does without Dez and Witten.  But I'd be quite reluctant about predicting a sweep of Dallas......last 23 years we have swept them 3 times, we have split 9 times, and they have swept us 11 times. They beat us 10 straight times in a stretch when Dallas was mediocre, and are currently 8-2 in the past five seasons against us. The last time we beat them at FedEx was win RG3 and AlMo delivered the division title in '12.  We couldn't even sweep the sorry Giants last season.

Overall, I'm a bit tired of the mediocrity. Not that Jay is going to get axed with a 9-7/10-6 record, but if we can't finally break through to that elusive 11+ win season, I'd just as soon go 2-14!

Unfortunately I got'em at 6-10 and Gruden gets fired.  Hope it's the opposite but I just don't think the coaches do a good enough job here.  Also believe the training staff is poor and don't do the players justice. 

52 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think 8-8 is optimistic.  Haven’t really done much to improve over last season.

They've done plenty.  The issue I have is the average coaching.  I'm looking at 6-10 and it's the last we see of Jay G.

9 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Unfortunately I got'em at 6-10 and Gruden gets fired.  Hope it's the opposite but I just don't think the coaches do a good enough job here.  Also believe the training staff is poor and don't do the players justice. 

They've done plenty.  The issue I have is the average coaching.  I'm looking at 6-10 and it's the last we see of Jay G.

If you want to call it average, that's okay.  But how does average coaching equate to 6-10 and the like?  Players win football games.  The front office builds the roster.

I have a much more optimistic Outlook. 

I really think if we stay healthy (schedule be damned)  we'll win 11 games. 

But that's a big if,  we seem to always have the worst injury luck. 

I think the schedule is always blown out of proportion. 

By the end of the season we'll look back and see a bunch of games we thought were gonna be against tough opponents and they turned out lousy and vice versa. 

I've always felt our lines were weaker than most and our absurd lack of addressing them in the draft was mostly what was killing us. 

We've finally started drafting lineman early and using mostly the draft to fill the roster and I think (again as long as we stay healthy)  this is the year we truly start to see it pay off. 

This is my favorite time of the year - when we gripe about the preseason polls.  Has anyone ever been fired for being way off in their NFL preseason poll?  These polls are just for entertainment purposes.  The writers probably took less an hour to evaluate all 256 regular season games.  The rest of the time is spent writing their witty evaluations of each team.

That being said, the schedule doesn't favor us, and drawing GB in the third place schedule was some bad luck.  Right now, I'm looking at 6 wins at best.  Were we to lose to either Arizona or Indy, the wheels could come off early.  But a few key injuries to our opponents could move the needle in the opposite direction.

I totally get why fans are skeptical to pour their heart into this team,  I'm the same way,  I've kinda built a little shell around it to try to protect myself from all the heartbreak year in and year out. 

Having said that I'm not sure how using your eyes and heads instead of your heart you could predict less than 7 wins. 

We were the most injured team in all of football last year and despite totally mailing it in the end of the season we won 7 games. 

Is it because we lost kirk cousins? 

Breeland maybe,  or a supposedly tougher schedule? 

I don't know,  obviously this team could win anywhere between 0 and 16 games this year, ya just never know,  but I don't see them winning less than 7 unless total disaster strikes. 

Archived