Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Adonis Alexander CB Virginia Tech

Bifflog

15 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

6th rounder and Torrian Gray is here? yeah, Im down. 

That's why i like the pick, because you know behind the scenes t gray said "I know this kid well, he is worth the pick, and I can work with him".  Good enough for me. 

30 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

The only effect this has on the roster in terms of how I project the 53, is that before I had both holsey and stroman making the team, now I would assume those two are battling it out for one spot.  Unless they both look sharp and Alexander looks lost or has issues with work ethic or attitude etc.  I still think they carry 6 cbs.  I agree with what others have said as 2018 being a redshirt year for Alexander, and just like I feel about sdh and apke, if Alexander gets so much as a hangnail, right to IR. I hope the skins are a little more careful with the maneuver after the tevin Mitchel fiasco.

10 minutes ago, zoony said:

Move him to safety

If they move him to safety, I see the skins keeping 5 cbs and 5 safeties instead of 6 cbs and 4 safeties and keeping the same guys.  If AA is a safety, (1) I hope he pans out better than the last safety AA, and (2) I think the skins have to keep at least 5 safeties, because AA, apke and blanding/Smithson are very green.  

Just now, KillBill26 said:

If they move him to safety, I see the skins keeping 5 cbs and 5 safeties instead of 6 cbs and 4 safeties and keeping the same guys.  If AA is a safety, (1) I hope he pans out better than the last safety AA, and (2) I think the skins have to keep at least 5 safeties, because AA, apke and blanding/Smithson are very green.  

Just in a cursory glance of his scouting reports and stats... a guy who likes to play physical at the LOS but lacks elite speed... yah, sounds like a safety.

Or they could get him on PEDs and get that 40 time down.  Im fine with that too, worked for richard sherman

*just jokes.  We all know that richard sherman does not use PEDs.  Thats silly

55 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

The only effect this has on the roster in terms of how I project the 53, is that before I had both holsey and stroman making the team, now I would assume those two are battling it out for one spot.  Unless they both look sharp and Alexander looks lost or has issues with work ethic or attitude etc.  I still think they carry 6 cbs.  I agree with what others have said as 2018 being a redshirt year for Alexander, and just like I feel about sdh and apke, if Alexander gets so much as a hangnail, right to IR. I hope the skins are a little more careful with the maneuver after the tevin Mitchel fiasco.

They can’t put him on IR unless it’s at least a 6 game injury.  As for Tevin Mitchel, since he had less then 4 years In the league, he had to clear waivers to go on IR because it was before the 3rd preseason game.  The Skins could have kept on the 90 man roster a few more weeks, but I’d hardly call it a fiasco.  Mitchel has never played a regular season snap in the NFL.  

5 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Can we please set this up? If he runs below 4.8 I might even advise him to decleare for the draft. 

I was quite fast in college but that was nearly 30 years ago. At age 40 I ironically ran a 4.8.  51 now and would prefer not to time myself again. Cause if I don't time myself again, I can still run a 4.8.  You know?

Just now, drowland said:

They can’t put him on IR unless it’s at least a 6 game injury.  As for Tevin Mitchel, since he had less then 4 years In the league, he had to clear waivers to go on IR because it was before the 3rd preseason game.  The Skins could have kept on the 90 man roster a few more weeks, but I’d hardly call it a fiasco.  Mitchel has never played a regular season snap in the NFL.  

True, but I think the skins put mitchel on ir to stash him, not thinking anyone would take him.  I dont think they wanted to cut ties with him, and I remember thinking they felt the colts broke an unwritten rule by claiming him.  Similar to patriots claiming Jake Ballard from the Giants several years ago.  But you are right, Mitchel hasn't amounted to anything.

And I'm not an expert on the way teams approach IR, but if a team wanted to stash someone, couldn't they play off a minor injury being more serious than it is?  I find it hard to believe that other teams don't do that as well due to ethical concerns.  Does an independent doctor have to verify that he can go on IR because the injury is deemed to be a 6 game injury?  And aren't a lot of guys who are dragging along during the season get immediately shut down when their team loses hopes for making the playoffs, even though the injury might not be a 6 game injury?  

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

True, but I think the skins put mitchel on ir to stash him, not thinking anyone would take him.  I dont think they wanted to cut ties with him, and I remember thinking they felt the colts broke an unwritten rule by claiming him. 

Perhaps explains why they were so quick to claim Kalis back from Colts

27 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

And I'm not an expert on the way teams approach IR, but if a team wanted to stash someone, couldn't they play off a minor injury being more serious than it is?  I find it hard to believe that other teams don't do that as well due to ethical concerns.  Does an independent doctor have to verify that he can go on IR because the injury is deemed to be a 6 game injury?  And aren't a lot of guys who are dragging along during the season get immediately shut down when their team loses hopes for making the playoffs, even though the injury might not be a 6 game injury?  

Good question.  I believe it’s an honor system thing right now.  When a team puts a player to IR they designate them major or minor.  Major is 6 games and minor is less then 6.  If they assign it as minor, that player is supposed to be susceptible to waivers when they’re healthy.  There was controversy this past season when the Packers brought Aaron Rodgers off IR for one game and then placed him back on IR right after with no apparent injury.  The argruement was he should have to clear waivers.  I forget what the deal ended up being or what the NFL ruled on that.

I don't know anything about this kid, but I'm a fan of his size. Obviously he's no speedster at 4.6/40, but did he have a good 3-cone or show good instincts on tape? @Skinsinparadise help a brother out.

We currently have 13 DBs in camp, so if we keep 10 then there will be three somewhat difficult cuts that'll need to be made. Norman, Swearinger, Dunbar, Moreau, Stroman, Hosley, Nicholson, Apke, Adonis should be safe-ish. Assuming the aforementioned scenario is accurate, which it most likely isn't, one out of Everett, Smithson, Scandrick, Ladler will make it... 

blob.png.ee1f422731840fb0d95974fee79614d6.png

For some really odd reason, I was just inspired to make my own un-professional Mock Draft for the Redskins in 2019

Just have the first 5 rounds down at the moment.

1 - John Jennings  DB Virginia Tech

2 - Vinny Mihota  DL Virginia Tech
3 - Isaiah Buggs DL Alabama
4 - Johnny Dwight DL Alabama
5 - Jamey Mosley  LB Alabama

28 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I don't know anything about this kid, but I'm a fan of his size. Obviously he's no speedster at 4.6/40, but did he have a good 3-cone or show good instincts on tape? @Skinsinparadise help a brother out.

If I recall his 3 cone wasn't that hot either, bench presses weren't good.    He doesn't seem to be a great athlete.  I think the sell of him is his long arms, tall, ball hawk -- maybe convert him to a safety.  I haven't really studied him -- from most of what I've read its mixed.

Having said that, most 6th rounders are busts, its a flier round typically.  So with Torrian Grey in the fold -- who knows the dude -- maybe he can bring out the best out of him.  I wouldn't have liked this if they used a 4th rounder on him. But a 6th, am not losing sleep over.   The secondary as its currently constructed makes me nervous so it doesn't hurt I think to add another body.

Let's start with Alexander. What about him -- other than his great name?

Alexander had some early media momentum as a 2019 first-round pick. He certainly looks the part, with the kind of 6-foot-3 frame that scouts increasingly have been tasked with finding. But opinions are mixed now after a poor workout that included only nine reps of 225 pounds. "So you know there isn't great upper-body strength there," Muench said. "When you watch him play, you see some speed concerns. He does not recover well. He is a good tackler though. He is a challenge for people going through the evaluation process. To me, he's a versatile defensive back who can help out on special teams. Do you take a guy like that in the supplemental draft? I don't know."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/277691/guide-to-the-nfl-supplemental-draft-why-it-matters-this-year

Well, not much to say about the actual move since it’s only a 6th rounder and he comes with a lot of questions, but I do like that they’re throwing numbers at the secondary, which is probably the most glaring weakness on the roster now with the loss of Breeland and Fuller. 

This year it’s Scandrick via FA; Apke and Stroman via the draft; Quinn Blanding, Danny Johnson and Ranthony Texada via UDFA; and now Adonis via the supplemental draft. 7 total, though mostly via cheaper resources (Apke in the 4th is arguably the most expensive). 

Last year they did the same thing. They added Swearinger via FA; Moreau, Nicholson, and Holsey in the draft; and Fish Smithson via UDFA. 5 total, but we used more in terms of resources via cap space (Swearinger) and draft capital (3rd on Moreau, 4th on Nicholson). 

Out of that group we had Nicholson emerge, with Swearinger a good addition and playing as expected more or less. 

This year? I think Scandrick will likely be as expected, which isn’t good. Hopefully one of Apke, Stroman, Blanding, Johnson, Texada, or Adonis can be this year’s Nicholson for us. That’ll be huge. 

The concern still remains in the slot, which is a starting position in the NFL these days. Hate the idea of Scandrick being the guy we rely on there, so I'm hoping someone (or two) emerges there. Adonis doesn’t seem like a potential help there, at least not when looking at his measurements. 

My hope is that both Dunbar and Moreau look really good, and so we try to keep both on the field with one playing mostly in the slot. Not sure if that’s at all realistic, but I think Moreau has some traits that can work there. Not so much with Dunbar. Otherwise we’re relying on Holsey and someone like Danny Johnson (who is projected to play in the slot) emerging, which would be great but are nonetheless long shots. 

I think Jay may have actually praised Johnson during OTAs, which is a good sign if true. I might not be remembering right, though. 

It’s going to be frightening going into the season with this group. A lot could go wrong, there’s just too many “ifs” and hopes. The only sure thing (or as close to one as it gets in the NFL) is Norman. 

We’re banking on Dunbar taking the next step into a full time starter. His play last season was promising, so there’s that, but we’ve seen that playing as a backup and stepping in well doesn’t always equate to being a good starter.  

We’re hoping Moreau makes the rookie to sophomore leap that is at best a toss up in general. And I LOVED his college game tape when I went through it right after we drafted him. 

We’re hoping Nicholson’s injury-riddled rookie season was an anomaly and not the norm. And we’ve seen firsthand how the elite athletes that combine size and speed like he does struggle plenty with that in the NFL (Jordan Reed). 

We’re hoping that some late round fliers or undrafted guys step up and can take over the slot position. Otherwise we’re relying on a likely over the hill vet in Scandrick coming off his worst season to handle the job. 

Frightening. A lot could go wrong, and more so than any other positional group on the team.

But there’s also a ton of youth and, therefore, a lot of potential. We’ve also shown an ability to develop and hit on mid-to-lower round draft picks as well as undrafted players (Kyshoen Jarrett, Breeland, Dunbar, Nicholson, Fuller, and to a lesser extent, guys like Everett). We just need at least two or three of these “hopes” to go our way. 

Ok, I went to look for it to make sure I’m not crazy and I found it, Jay did single out Danny Johnson: 

Supposedly he projects as a slot guy with his build. I wonder if that’s where he was playing in OTAs and that’s where he stood out? 

Btw, Keim says Skins see Adonis as a CB:

Russell “from a source”:

Good post @thesubmittedone. Lots of questions around our secondary.

But I personally like the general strategy of loading up on the d-line and throwing bodies at the secondary for various reasons.

First of all, I genuinely believe that a great d-line is more important than a great secondary.

Secondly, except for the Eagles no team in our division has a great passing game. Giants have OBJ but a questionable QB at this point, Cowboys lost Witten and Dez and have a mediocre QB. But all of them have dangerous running games. Eagles and Cowboys for sure, but also the Giants gave us extreme problems in the last game (God knows why but they rushed for 260 yards) and now they added Saquon Barkley. Considering games against these teams make up more than 1/3 of our annual schedule, I am fine with prioritizing the d-line more than the secondary.

Thirdly, I really believe we have a good defensive coaching staff. Torrian Gray has done a great job of developing Fuller into one of the best cornerbacks in the league, Bashaud Breeland improved tremendously compared to the year before, Norman was solid as always and Nicholson and Swearinger played great at safety (especially compared to what we are used to at the safety position). FWIW we actually had the best passing defense in the NFC East and the 9th best in the NFL, allowing the third lowest completion rate. And looking back, the secondary looked comparably questionable last year. Fuller came off of a horrible rookie year, Breeland was abused for a whole season, Swearinger was a question mark and no one here seemed to be high on Nicholson.

Fourthly, we did a really good job of drafting solid secondary players in the later rounds the last years. We got Fuller (without injury concerns probably not available where we got him though), Bashaud Breeland, Kyshoen Jarrett, Montae Nicholson and Quinton Dunbar all since 2014 and none cost as more than a third round pick. So, I am positive that one or two players out of Stroman, Alexander, Apke, Moreau, Holsey or one of the UDFAs can similarly emerge and positively surprise us. Especially with Torrian Gray apparently lobbying for his VT guys.

You got to take some risks building a roster, why not do it where you were rather successful the last couple of years?

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yep.  Also, per below, it's not like we're not used to having slow CBs in this scheme, lol.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel like 40 speed is seriously overrated when it comes to the game.  It's a measuring stick but it tells very little of the story.  

First off, very rarely are they going to be running a straight line sprint along side a WR.  When that does happen, it's even more seldom that they're on their own on the outside without help over the top.  The majority of the WR in the league don't run under 4.5 anyway, so you're telling me that you're (speaking generally, not referring to you) worried about a guy who literally runs the same distance .1 second slower than another guy with no pads, on a track?  Add to that, the ball wont likely be in the hands of the QB long enough for them to go 40 yards ANYWAY.  The better qbs have the ball out in less than 3 seconds, so that .1 of a second difference is reduced even further. 

If I'm looking at him, my bigger concern is the 9 bench reps, and the slower 3 cone drill.  I fear he's going to be pushed around with a lanky frame, and he's not going to be able to change direction with NFL WR.  Both things he can work on.   I think he's more suited for the outside with those feet, and he'll have to get those better if he wants to play in the slot, unless he's always lined up against a TE.  For comparison sake, Trey Quinn measured a 6.91 in the 3-cone drill.  That is a recipe for separation on the inside.  

Archived