Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HapHaszard's Passing

Haszard4

It's with regret that I'm announcing the passing of my father Arthur A. Haszard III. Know here on Extremeskins as Haphaszard AKA the news hound. He passed suddenly on Sunday January 28th in the early evening. We don't know the cause of death, however we do know that he went quickly and did not suffer.

Since the early days of this site he has been a member and later part of the operation of the Breaking News. He was close with a lot of the fellow members of the board and considered a lot of you close personal friends. To him you guys were a second family.

Dad was born in Kenova West Virginia on December 19th 1943. He grew up in Centerville Virginia and that's where his love of the Redskins began. He graduated High School from Fairfax High School in 1961. He studied drafting for two years and worked for a steel company doing detailing. Deciding on a carrier change he joined the Air Force and was stationed in Texas. In Texas he received his technical training and was assigned to the Pentagon where he worked as a crypto. tech. on classified communications equipment. It's in the DC area he met and married my mother in 1967. In 1968 he was hired by IBM where he repaired various types of equipment. Mostly IBM Selectric type writers. In his years with IBM he lived and worked in Landover MD, Seattle WA, Manassas VA, Owego NY, and Cartersville GA, finally retiring in Ormond Beach FL. His heart however, never left Washington D.C., or his beloved Redskins.

All his life my Dad loved to read and he could put down novels like Dexter Put Down Quarterbacks. Reading was a passion with him, and not just novels. Every morning he would drink his coffee and read the sports page. With a technical background he was on the ground floor of the personal computer and internet boom, not just with his job but in his free time. This allowed him to read sports articles from anywhere, and wherever he was. My father always loved to take in information. He would find a subject that he was interested in and learn as much as he could. This was everything from stamp collecting to woodcarving. But his favorite subject was always the Redskins.

I'm not sure when he discovered the extremeskins site or when he became involved with the News but for him it was a good fit. And so were all of you, his friends. He would often talk about the people he knew here on extremeskins. And many of the people in the media and Redskins organization that he met. Name dropping was one of his favorite things to do in conversation.

We are going to hold a small memorial this Saturday for him here in Ormond Beach, Fl and will likely have him interned at a later date. Possibly at a national cemetery because of his military service, but we are not sure at this time. The suddenness of his passing has caught us a little off guard. I'll try to have more information on this later.

I got this up as soon as I could so I'm sorry for the delay. If you have anything you wish to say please add it to this string. Your kind words will help us and especially our mother in the healing process.

Thanks everyone,

Arthur Alex Haszard IV

Haszard4

Dad will have a small memorial service  this Saturday Feb 3 starting between 1 and 2 PM

Lohman Funeral Home

733 W. Granada Blvd

Ormond Beach, Fl 32174

In lieu of flowers we are asking that you make a donation in Dad's name to

"The Wounded Warrior Project"

You can go through the funeral homes website to make the donation.

www.lohmanfuneralhomes.com

Hap was a major part of the best of es. He was a key and beloved es'er to me. He was absolutely a selfless hard-working servant to this site, never displaying any hint of self-importance in the process. I respected him as well as enjoyed him. We often traded old guy thoughts about es, 'skins and reality at large over the years. Our posts and pms with were usually brief, but full of heart, wit, and wisdom on Hap's end.

Hap, you became one of those people that whether it was an exchange on es or just your occasionally crossing my mind from time to time, it was always a good thing.  I will miss you, amigo. 

• TSO featured and pinned this topic

Sorry for your loss Arthur.  I did get to spend time with your dad at two games, i met your mom as well sitting next to both of them at the titans game a few years back.  

While im not sure that we were friends in the traditional sense, i can say that i greatly admired your dads passion and altruism.  I remember meeting him for the atlanta game and calling him something like 200 times because i couldnt find the parking lot... he did nothing but help me out.  I probably would have quit answering my phone :).  I also remember how genuinely giddy he was on seeing sonny j in the press box.  I was envious of his passion and excitement, especially at his age.  I think his health was failing him a bit in atlanta but you never would have known it, seeing how excited he was to be in that press box covering the team... even if it was preseason. (2016 iirc)

I said in the other thread that there was a lot we could all learn from him, and i stand by that.  All the best to you and the family

5 minutes ago, HapHaszard said:

I did thank you. BTW i'm logged into dad's account.

37 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Alex, just in case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the initial thread made honoring your father: 

we have been reading this all morning. It helps so much. Thankyou.

So sorry for your loss, sir.  Prayers go out to you and the family.

When I think about it, your father was part of my daily routine. Fire up ES, and usually read some of the many links that Hap had posted.  His commitment to the Skins and to his fellow fans was awesome.

May he rest in peace.

I am still at a loss for words.  The news rocked both Pez and I last night as we both adored your dad and your family.  Your dad's smile and laugh is what I will remember most.  He was always so proud of you and your family and name dropped and bragged to us.  I am going to post the poem I read at Chief Zee's funeral as it can express my thoughts better than I can right now but all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.  If you and your family need anything please do not hesitate to reach out to me or Pez.   

I ONLY WANTED YOU

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

Author unknown

Thank you Hap for always posting the news for us here. I have really enjoyed coming to this one stop shop that you helped create. I'm sad you are gone and will see you one day in the Redskins stadium in the sky. If there is a go fund me for the family to help with arrangements please post the link so we can help even a little

Like a ton of bricks to hear of the passing of a man tough as bricks.  He's everything good about ES, and I can't imagine what you're going through right now.  Please know that as beloved as some who are posting will tell you that your father is, there are many, many more who are feeling the same many times over.

I'm not a regular poster, but for 14 years have been reading here. Pretty much start my day and check in here 5-100 times a day (depending on time of year :) , winning or losing!) 

Will be weird not reading his posts, my thoughts and prayers for your family. This Redskins family will miss him. 

26 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

Because of your father I read many articles I wouldn't have otherwise read and learned many things I wouldn't have otherwise learned. He was the NewsHound and he made this place much, much better. I am so sorry for your loss. 

:229:

This is so true..this was me..he threw in little bits here n there in the twitter thread about how readers need to go read brbn and because he recommended doing so I did..he would do readers of the week..a shout out to someone here who would check in the most to brbn...I would prey to see a shout out from hap...so..well because it was so informational and such great articles I would make sure I stopped into brbn three times a day of the thirty five times I stop by here to try to win that award..the award of hap thanking you for stopping in at brbn..I never won it, but because he said we should..I did...and I appreciate him for that too!!

3 hours ago, Haszard4 said:

I got this up as soon as I could so I'm sorry for the delay. If you have anything you wish to say please add it to this string. Your kind words will help us and especially our Mother in the healing process.

I really don't think you have to apologize for any kind of delay here, it is well understanded by everyone here.

It's been a sad day for all.

I can hardly say I knew your father very well, as all we were talking was BRBN mostly. I'm not the kind of guy that will speak of my life and troubles to everyone, especially over the internet, but we did exchange here and there with Hap about this. When we first get in touch was last year, by march or so I believe. He needed someone to take over BRBN as he was going to take MissHap, as he used to say, on a tour. He's been very supportive from the beginning and really helpful, even if I thought he wouldn't bother to have to deal with a grumpy french guy living overseas that have a 6 hours delay and thus, is always late at publishing articles in the news section.

Damn, he was rather cool dealing with it. Didn't had any problem with it. Told me he'll give a hand here and there if he could. And I was like, no way Hap! If I take over, I take over, you take care of MissHap and you that's more important than anything, I'll get the job done. He's dedicated so much time doing it, that well, he deserved a break with your mother. I could do that for him, even if I hardly knew him.

So when he asked for help once again late last year, I came back to help. No problem, I'll give a hand as well. Last time we talked, was a few weeks ago, I was bothered about the drops in readings in BRBN, trying to find ways to overcome that. Once again, he was supportive. and didn't seem much bothered by the drops. Just bad articles as he said. Spot on. When they're good, people do read it.

As I said in the other thread, I would have loved to meet him and shake his hand. Won't happen sadly.

But still, you don't have to apologize to to us. Not even close.

We are the ones that should thank you all of you, starting with MissHap, for allowing your dad to spend so much time with us, and less with you.

Thank you.

Archived