Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

26th Anniversary of Super Bowl 26

hail2skins

By now we've been accustomed to counting the number of years since certain milestones. Friday will be the 26th anniversary of Super Bowl 26, the last Lombardi the Redskins won. The game also occurred on the 26th, and was the only other Super Bowl to be played in Minnesota prior to this one, which will probably be the last one played in Minnesota until, well, US Bank Stadium is deemed too old at some point years down the road and a new stadium is again built there. Also means that next Sunday's game will be the 26th Super Bowl played since our victory. 

Anyway, instead of being depressed that we have to watch our division rivals against the team that has already been to and won so many Super Bowls over the past 16-17 seasons, share your stories leading up to and including 1/26/92, whether you went to the game or enjoyed watching it with friends and/or family. Saw that face value for tickets  for SB XXVI were $150, while the face value for SB LII range from $950-5000.

Yeah every play on that first drive was Monk, even the TD that was called back. And some clowns wanted to keep him out of the HOF.

Also in SB22 his 40+ yard catch was the first positive play for the Redskins in that game before they broke it open with Smith.

I have so many regrets about not going to that game.

I remember walking out of RFK after beating the Lions in the NFC Championship game and folks were already outside hawking deals on trips to Minny.  Told my buddy as we passed them, "We really ought to think about doing this."

But I had just started my first real job 3 months before and didn't have the cash on hand to do it.  Sadly, I thought the wise financial choice would be to not go.  So I decided I'd catch the next one the Skins went to.

Alas, here we sit.  I'm now 4 years from retirement and it seems extremely unlikely that opportunity will come again during that timeframe, if ever.

20 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah every play on that first drive was Monk, even the TD that was called back. And some clowns wanted to keep him out of the HOF.

Also in SB22 his 40+ yard catch was the first positive play for the Redskins in that game before they broke it open with Smith.

That TD should've stood....Monk gets the heel down before the toe. I remember the official in the booth at the time, I think it was Jim Tunney, saying that the heel is just like a toe....not sure if that's still the rule cause you so rarely see it. 

I saw Thurman Thomas running out during introductions with his helmet on.

Then he misses the first couple plays of their first drive. I was 100% sure it was because he lost his helmet and I thought that was shown with him running around on the sideline without his helmet but that isn't in the video. They don't even mention why he's not in there so maybe we didn't really find out until later. I'm not sure.

Hehe yaaaa I remember that Superbowl...being in Jr high I won everyone's lunch money...it was awesome...my uncle was a giants and bills fan growing up ...we lived across the street from one another..as the game was finishing up my mom printed up a long ten foot banner..made with her computer and printer paper..that we took across the street and walked through there house taunting..it was fun...than there was the most memorable Superbowl ever.."the one that got away" Superbowl..the 87 Superbowl..we were living in so cal at the time and my father's employer offered him two tickets to that Superbowl and he turned em down..because well..we couldn't afford to go to Florida that year so he turned em down..Hehe you dork dad..lol..

To this day, there are only 2 things that bother me about this SB team:

1) I hate that we gave a game away against the Eagles in the last week.  I understand that we were trying to keep people from getting injured, we were playing at the ****ty Vet (worst Astroturf field ever) and we were 1 year removed from the "Body Bag" game, but 15-1 would have been sweet.

2) I hate that we let the Bills score twice at the end.  Check that.  Let's back up to when it was 31-10.  We recovered a fumble and had an INT on their next 2 possessions.  Gibbs had taken his foot off the gas and we kicked 2 FGs, but I wish they'd have been TDs to put us up 45-10. Then I doubt we give up 2 TDs, maybe only 1 to make the final score 45-17.  37-24 looks TOO close in my estimation, even though it wasn't.  I would have also settled for 37-10.

As each year passes and picture quality and the game itself evolves, this game looks older and older.

Two things I will never forget about this season are my Grandpa standing up in the living room through the whole Cowboys loss yelling and throwing things at the tv.  For you youngins - TVs used to be much tougher back then - made of wood and ****.  The team was usually more responsive when you would yell or throw things at the tv, too.  Weird. 

Also, the NFC Championship game was just the greatest game ever.  My favorite experience as a fan.  It's not even close and I doubt it ever will be again.

So sorry for your lost. Happy was a staple to ES and I always headed to the Breaking news section and scoured the countless articles that he provided to us. I occasionally made it a point to publicly acknowledge his thankless and sometimes under appreciated task(s). He will be missed. RIP. Hap.

Again. So sorry for you loss. God bless you and your family.

The '91 season was my freshman year of high school and first year I played organized football. It was a glorious time. I have 2 hours of the pregame (back when a 6 hour pregame was sort of a novelty) plus Super Bowl XXVI itself on VHS. At this point in time, I have no way to watch my copy, but I found the game a few months ago on YouTube. No idea if it's still up or not.

I watched the game with various football and basketball teammates. After the way the Bills lost the year before, I think I was the only one in the group who wanted the 'Skins to win. I am sure I was the only actual fan.

Archived