Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Podcast Recommendations

Heisenberg

I have a two hour daily commute that can stretch longer.

Money / Economics

Freakonomics

Planet Money

Politics

NPR Politics

538 Politics

News

The Daily

UP First

Interesting Stuff

This American Life - love this show

99% Invisible - short but cool explores a lot of interesting architecture and ideas

Flash Forward - this is cool, she take an idea of the future comes up with a scenario and explores it with experts specific to the futures idea

Death, Sex & Money - this is hit or miss for me, some of the shows are really good and interesting some I listen to a few minutes and kill it

Radiolab - explores some interesting science

What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law - takes the presidents rants and ideas and explores the implication of constitutional law. Same guy who does 99% PI does this one but also has a constitutional law professor involved

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Anyone else following Atlanta Monster?

I have been. Not half bad.. interesting questions.

It may seem fishy how they managed to link Williams to the murders.. but once he was caught, the killings stopped as far as I recall.

~Bang

1 minute ago, Bang said:

I have been. Not half bad.. interesting questions.

It may seem fishy how they managed to link Williams to the murders.. but once he was caught, the killings stopped as far as I recall.

~Bang

That's always a key piece of evidence.  He certainly killed some of the people on the list of 30, but too many changes in the MO for him to have been responsible for all of them.  

I like Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History." He also has a podcast called "Common Sense" which takes a fairly interesting view of politics.

I also enjoy "History on Fire" by Daniele Bolelli. He's an Italian professor of American history and his take on Teddy Roosevelt was terrific.

Finally, "Stuff You Should Know" is entertaining if well short of what you'd call academic rigor. 

On 1/10/2018 at 12:40 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

This guy's podcast is pretty good, but this one in particular is great.  I've listened it to about 5 times over the past couple months:  https://findingmastery.net/david-goggins/ .  Navy SEAL & Endurance Athlete David Goggins on Being the Hardest Human Alive

Yeah, that was great.  I really enjoy learning about Goggins' story.

I also regularly check in with the Jocko Podcast.   http://jockopodcast.com/

Former SEAL.  Takes lessons learned from the battlefield and how you can apply those basic principles to your job and life.  His cohost, Echo blends in humor and non-military perspective. They have guests often. Has a bestseller book too.

• 4 months later...

Stay Tuned with Preet Bharara: he does a pretty good job of breaking down legal topics in the news, good interviewer, and overall reasonable dude.

Wrongful Conviction: Talks to individuals who spent time in prison only to be cleared later. its equal parts fascinating and infuriating 

Writing Excuses: Great pod for aspiring writers or anybody who likes the craft of writing. Or anybody who is in to Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre

sports podcast for local teams

Wizards: I Called Game,  Locked on Wizards

Redskins: Redskins Talk, Breaking Burgundy

Nats: Mound Presence

The Joe Rogan Experience, he has a very diverse group of guests, from Comedians, to MMA fighters, and professors/experts of various fields.

Monday Morning Podcast with Bill Burr. They guys just a nut job.

The Move formally The Forward. Cycling podcast with Lance Armstrong. Right now its Tour de France stuff, but he has had on Brett Favre, Bo Jackson, Mia Khalifa (don't google that one at work) among other guests.

Pod Save America - Liberal podcast discussing the recent political news. Hosted by several staffers, speechwriters etc from the Obama admin.

Lovett or Leave It - From the same group as the above, hosted by Jon Lovett, this one is more comedy focused with audience involvement and games/segments

Binge Mode - Part of The Ringer podcast network, this is a fantastic podcast focused on a bunch of different TV shows, movies and sometimes sports. They have done an hour long podcast for every Game of Thrones episode and are currently in the middle of doing every Harry Potter book (multiple podcasts per book) and then following that up with the corresponding HP movie podcast. They're funny and do a great job diving into each subject and analyzing everything. Hell, they had a 5-10 segment during the Annihilation movie podcast about the construction of the ochestra theme for that movie and why it was so haunting and effective. 

Bald Move -  Another TV and movie podcast. They also have done every episode of Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Westworld, Mr Robot, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead (tho they just stopped because lol) etc. They try to do a movie a week and usually pick big blockbusters or highly talked about theatrical releases and they also have their viewers can donate money and request a specific movie for them to review. These guys are funny and insightful and its a very entertaining podcast. 

The BS Podcast -  Bill Simmons of Page 2, ESPN, Grantland and The Ringer fame. He can be completely obnoxious as a Boston sports homer but he also has a really great podcast with any number of sports, entertainment, cultural topics and always has a solid guest list, be it Kevin Durant, Denzel Washington, Malcolm Gladwell etc. 

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Pod Save America - Liberal podcast discussing the recent political news. Hosted by several staffers, speechwriters etc from the Obama admin.

Lovett or Leave It - From the same group as the above, hosted by Jon Lovett, this one is more comedy focused with audience involvement and games/segments

Along these lines, The Wilderness from Jon Favreau, Obama’s former speechwriter, is extremely good so far. It’s a 15 hour dive into how the Democrats found themselves out of power and, presumably, how to fix it. I say presumably because only 5 episodes are out yet. 

He interviewed over 100 historians, political operatives, pollsters and voters, it is very well done and Favs has a great mix of compelling writing, thoughtful and honest discussion, and anger. He does not shy away from calling out the Dems **** ups. It is a good counterpart to their other podcasts because he doesn’t have to talk about the latest weekly Trump scandal. 

Also, Revisionist Histoy by Malcolm Gladwell. I wouldnt say im addicted to this podcast in a clinical sense, but a lot of the indicia of a chemical deoendancy are there. 

Been listening to Michael Rosenbaum's Inside Of You podcast recently, where he interviews/chats with a bunch of celebrities he knows.  It's definitely NSFW, by the way.

(also listen to Deep State Radio, Pod Save America, Stay Tuned with Preet, Mueller She Wrote, Rational Security, and Lawfare Blog (depending on the topic) for political/foreign policy news and discussion)

Oh, and Hello from the Magic Tavern and some tabletop roll playing podcasts for fun.

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can you give a quick summary of why you like it?  Much appreciated. 

There's about 3 dozen episodes up right now. Maybe more. And it just goes into depth about many aspects of the Fall of Rome so it's not superficial. 

The host does a lot of historical podcasts. He's got his masters or PhD in some type of European history but he stated he doesn't want the podcasts to be stilted academic stuff, so tries to make it more accessible to run of the mill enthusiasts (not hardcore period geeks). And he does, he makes the podcast interesting by using narrative or creating a fictional character who we "follow" through daily life. A lot of stuff is very recent and doesn't rely entirely on decades old research. In one recent episode he cited research a scientist was doing that could change what he just reported (matter of weeks/months)—so it feels fresh. 

Gotta say, I’m surprised to see basically every podcast my wife listens to (and I catch a good deal of them by extension) posted already.  

The Crooked Media podcasts, Stown, the Daily, Stay Tuned, Radiolab, Lawfare Blog, This American Life, Hidden Brain, etc...

Good on you guys.  

The only one I listen too (rarely have time) is Hardcore History.  

Forgot to add the new Chris Hayes podcast, Making Obama and the Axe files and some of the Slate podcasts.  I find that she’s moved more and more towards political podcasts and pushed the others on the back burner a bit.  

Archived