Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

I don't believe in windows. The Caps window was supposed to be shut and they end up winning the Cup. If you have a good organization from top on bottom you have a chance every year.

I'm not paying $400 Mil for a guy hitting .220 right now. I don't care how many homers or RBIs he's got. He's basically Adam Dunn right now. For that kind of money we can get Murphy's replacement at 2B, a new C, another SP to round out the rotation, another reliever, and STILL have money left over to give guys like Rendon and Gonzalez extensions.

It's never, ever a good idea to negotiate from a position of fear. I hope that Rizzo goes into the offseason believing in the club he's built and its future with or without Harper. Our long term success is not predicated on one man. 

With that mindset in place, maybe Harper will come back a National in 2019 or maybe he won't. Whatever. 

1 hour ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Just don't want to see him a stupid Yankee. They've always been the original bandwagon franchise to me. 

I'd rather see him a Yankee than a Cub, Phillie, or Dodger.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

It's never, ever a good idea to negotiate from a position of fear.

This is Rizzo's strength--almost to a fault. He doesn't let his personal feelings for people get in the way of making good decisions--case in point: Desmond and Zimmermann. He made what he felt was a fair offer--if a little underbid. They said no, he let them walk. He isn't going to bid against himself, like Angelos did with Chris Davis.

5 hours ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Just don't want to see him a stupid Yankee. They've always been the original bandwagon franchise to me. 

Let 'em go to The Bronx. If he decides to take a hike, get him out of the National League.

Regarding last night's game: felt very reassured about the results.
-Split the series against a pennant contender. I get worried about the team loading up on cupcakes then not having the stomach for the main course - like the Dodgers and Braves.
-Quality performance from the bullpen after Fedde had a tough night - gave the Nats an opportunity to win the game, which leads me to:
-La Verdad went deep twice and Adam Eaton had 3 hits - can't hate that 

Hopefully we can keep that momentum going North of the Border and then take the (interrupted) series against the Yankees at our place.

How do they match up against the Jays?

2 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

How do they match up against the Jays?

They don't have a LH Starter planned for the series, so we should do well. Gotta take two of three of each of the next couple of series: Jays, O's, Rays (I think is  a 2 game set--need both of those games...and bring Buffalo home with us!)

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't believe in windows. The Caps window was supposed to be shut and they end up winning the Cup. If you have a good organization from top on bottom you have a chance every year.

I'm not paying $400 Mil for a guy hitting .220 right now. I don't care how many homers or RBIs he's got. He's basically Adam Dunn right now. For that kind of money we can get Murphy's replacement at 2B, a new C, another SP to round out the rotation, another reliever, and STILL have money left over to give guys like Rendon and Gonzalez extensions.

Let me take this a step further...with Robles and Soto looking like great additions to the outfield (along with Eaton and MAT), would there be anything that could happen over the next month that would make anyone here open to trading Harper at the deadline? I suppose that's tougher for a contending team (I'm an O's fan and the only thing I'm still following in 2018 is the potential trade of Machado), but it would also be nice to get something for an asset if you think you'll be out-bid in the off-season. 

22 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Let me take this a step further...with Robles and Soto looking like great additions to the outfield (along with Eaton and MAT), would there be anything that could happen over the next month that would make anyone here open to trading Harper at the deadline? I suppose that's tougher for a contending team (I'm an O's fan and the only thing I'm still following in 2018 is the potential trade of Machado), but it would also be nice to get something for an asset if you think you'll be out-bid in the off-season. 

I see where you're coming from but I dunno about doing anything at the deadline. There's always that chance of him getting hot right when its down to the wire and the team needs an extra boost to win the division race. 

Just now, thebluefood said:

I see where you're coming from but I dunno about doing anything at the deadline. There's always that chance of him getting hot right when its down to the wire and the team needs an extra boost to win the division race. 

I know it's a long-shot. I guess the only way it would have made sense is if the Mets stayed hot and both the Phillies and Braves looked legit. If you got to mid-July 6-7 games out of the division lead with a couple teams ahead of you, why not? 

Absolutely not happening but I’ll indulge the thought a second. The trade return on half a season of slumping Harper would be pathetic. He’s bound to get hot at some point unless there’s a injury we aren’t aware of. And if we did ship him over the AL there are two possibilities: 

1. The Nats miss the playoffs while Harper goes on a tear for the Red Sox and hits 40 homers in the second half

2. The Nats make the World Series and get swept by the Red Sox with Harper hitting .500 with 6 HRs in four games. 

There are no other possible outcomes. 

13 hours ago, Bacon said:

It's never, ever a good idea to negotiate from a position of fear. I hope that Rizzo goes into the offseason believing in the club he's built and its future with or without Harper. Our long term success is not predicated on one man. 

With that mindset in place, maybe Harper will come back a National in 2019 or maybe he won't. Whatever. 

Pretty much where I'm at

I commented earlier about my frustration with Harper's lack of consistency.  He will get eaten alive playing in New York like that, but if he does become a Yankee, that's almost like having the Warriors waiting for on the other side.  That is just too many GD bats.

Was thinking yesterday that if there is one thing Soto’s sudden emergence does, it’s maybe make Robles a little less critical for the Nats. Love the idea of having Robles, Eaton, and Soto in the OF but hypothetically keeping MAT as the starting CF wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. He hits well when he’s hot, has some power, and plays great defense in CF. You’d also have the option of re-signing Harper (maybe he’s not as expensive now) and rolling with Soto, Eaton, and Harper. 

But if Robles is still the asking price for Realmuto, who is one of the league’s best hitting catchers and is under contract for 2.5 more years, Nats are in a position where they could strongly consider it and not feel like they are completely shooting themselves in the foot. 

Say we held out on the Marlins and insisted on Bour being included if we were to part with Robles. Say they made that trade. Here’s what our remainder of 2018 lineup looks like: 

Eaton (L) CF
Turner (R) SS
Harper(L) LF
Realmuto (R) - C
Soto (L)  LF
Rendon (R)
Bour (L) 1B
Murphy (L) 2B

That is a lineup you can win a World Series with. 

if we don’t land Bour in that trade? 

Eaton (L) CF
Turner (R) SS
Harper(L) LF
Realmuto (R) - C
Soto (L)  LF
Rendon (R)
Murphy (L) 2B
Zim/Adams/Reynolds 1B

and what does 2019 look like if/when Harper walks? 

Eaton (L) RF
Turner (R) SS
Soto (L) LF
Rendon (R) 3B
Realmuto (R) - C
Bour (L) 1B
Taylor (R) CF
Kieboom/FA 2B

That window is staying open boys. 

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Say we held out on the Marlins and insisted on Bour being included if we were to part with Robles.

Absolutely no reason to trade for Justin Bour, he's a slightly older, worse version of Matt Adams. I would go platoon with Zimm when he gets back. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That window is staying open boys.

That it is. Robles has shown he can hit big league pitching, in a small sample, Soto has been other worldly. I think Carter Kieboom is Murphy's replacement in the next year or so. Rizzo drafts very well, he makes smart decisions in free agency.

900c038bdd5f4d7ba0bc0a05efdd2463.jpg?ito

Praise be to Rizzo. 

Random thought: this is shaping up to be one of the most exciting National League seasons since the start of the NLDS era in '95. No one's running away with any of their respective division pennants right now. Once again, know its early but barring some key injuries or good ol' fashion choking, this is going to be an October to remember. 

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Absolutely no reason to trade for Justin Bour, he's a slightly older, worse version of Matt Adams. I would go platoon with Zimm when he gets back. 

That it is. Robles has shown he can hit big league pitching, in a small sample, Soto has been other worldly. I think Carter Kieboom is Murphy's replacement in the next year or so. Rizzo drafts very well, he makes smart decisions in free agency.

Agree on Bour upon further review. He’s in arbitration with two years left and not a ton of upside from here. I’m just partial to him because I went to college at George Mason with him. 

My fangraphs buddy says Kieboom plus Fedde/Romero/Crowe would be the correct approximate value for Realmuto, though a bidding war could drive the price into Robles territory. 

Tonight's lineup against the Blue Jays and RHP Aaron Sanchez:

NATIONALS
RF Adam Eaton
SS Trea Turner
CF Bryce Harper
3B Anthony Rendon
DH Daniel Murphy
1B Matt Adams
LF Juan Soto
2B Wilmer Difo
C Pedro Severino

LHP Gio Gonzalez

Don't forget that Michael Morse is in the booth tonight with Bob Carpenter, subbing for F.P. Santangelo who is attending his son's college graduation in California.

Archived