Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TWE: Call of Duty gaming community points to ‘swatting’ in deadly Wichita police shooting

No Excuses

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Seriously? This is bull****. The military ROE do not allow soldiers to shoot first. There has to be a defined threat in order to throw rounds down range. You have seen WAY more soldiers convicted of killing innocent civilians than cops. The military trains you to find solutions without killing, unless you are fired on. Then those firing should be eliminated. Don’t bring this bull**** to the military. You phrase this like the military is lower than the police. Like the cops have sunk to the level of the military, and it’s bull****. 

On the contrary, I hold the military to a higher standard than the police.  Their job is different, when in combat involves going into enemy territory and disabling or killing the enemy.

The police go into friendly territory to deal with threats surrounding their fellow man.

My point is that police regularly treat their situations as going into enemy territory to disable or kill the enemy, much like the military does.  Hence the militarization of the police.

I don’t think the military are doing anything wrong in the way that they process their operations, it’s the way that the police process their operations (mimicking the military) that I have a problem with.

If you disagree, that’s fine.  But I think you got the wrong impression of the bat.

How do we know the officer didn't kill the innocent man with a standard police issued pistol?

This raises more red flags to me then anything else:

“This call was little peculiar for us,” Livingston said. “(The call) went to a substation first, then it was relayed to dispatch, then dispatch gave it to us. We have a lot of information to go through.”

So they knew something was wrong with the call yet responded in normal fashion and a cop got jumpy when the door opened.

Police protocol has to be set to deal with a range of possible scenarios from a prank call to an actual hostage situation.  Whatever the protocol was, it doesn't seem like this particular officer followed it very well.  While I agree with the necessity for good training and procedure, I would be very hesitant to throw a swath of officers under the bus.  They have an incredibly difficult job and their lives are on the line.  

With that said, swatting should be made a specific crime with punishment commensurate with attempted murder.  

18 hours ago, daveakl said:

How do we know the officer didn't kill the innocent man with a standard police issued pistol?

This raises more red flags to me then anything else:

“This call was little peculiar for us,” Livingston said. “(The call) went to a substation first, then it was relayed to dispatch, then dispatch gave it to us. We have a lot of information to go through.”

So they knew something was wrong with the call yet responded in normal fashion and a cop got jumpy when the door opened.

Did they know that at the time? Or did they figure that out between the event and when they released a statement? I read it as the later, you've read it as the former, doesn't seem clear.

Also, they've apparently arrested the guy who made the call. He has a prior for making a hoax bomb threat years ago

Doesnt sound like this dude is very good at the fake 911 calling thing

Swatting was made popular by some notable Youtube and online gaming personalities, who have huge followings.

One of them, KeemStar, is notorious for doing this kind of stuff. His youtube channel DramaAlert has 3.2 million followers and his videos receive millions of views.

Maybe this story will trigger a wider crackdown, but KeemStar is immensely popular with the gaming crowd. He is not a mainstream celebrity in the traditional sense. But among the younger crowd, Youtube influencers and online streamers are huge. And this chump gets millions of views on a weekly basis.

The response from social media platforms on clamping down on this kind of stuff is really piss poor. KeemStar is now profiting from interviewing the caller, and making videos about this incident.

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Swatting was made popular by some notable Youtube and online gaming personalities, who have huge followings.

One of them, KeemStar, is notorious for doing this kind of stuff. His youtube channel DramaAlert has 3.2 million followers and his videos receive millions of views.

Maybe this story will trigger a wider crackdown, but KeemStar is immensely popular with the gaming crowd. He is not a mainstream celebrity in the traditional sense. But among the younger crowd, Youtube influencers and online streamers are huge. And this chump gets millions of views on a weekly basis.

The response from social media platforms on clamping down on this kind of stuff is really piss poor. KeemStar is now profiting from interviewing the caller, and making videos about this incident.

KeemStar sounds like a ****ing tool.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:17 PM, MisterPinstripe said:

So if having your hands at your waist is a call to get shot, I'm in trouble. I always have my hands swinging at my waist since, you know, that's where they hang naturally. How are cops resisting shooting people walking down the street? 

Well, in fairness to the brownshirts, most of the people they encounter walking down the street aren’t POC. ?

I agree the swatter should do time. However, that doesn’t automatically absolve the brownshirts of responsibility. After all, if you remove the swatting and change it to a legit call where the thugs go to the wrong address, it still highlights the need for them to not immediately open fire as soon as someone opens the god damned door. Pretty difficult concept for back the blue crowd to understand I know, but, j/s.

2 hours ago, twa said:

where are ya'll getting the 'soon as he opened the door'?

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192147194.html

They’re evidently being closed lipped about the reason Officer Friendly opened fire. Gotta make sure the story is all air tight. They’ve learned their lesson from prior cases where they give their story and then video from someplace else surfaces and shows them to be liars. The link above has the bodycam footage but it was taken from a distance and was too grainy for me to make much out. The shot does seem to happen awfully quickly after the door opens though.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:02 PM, No Excuses said:

Tombstone pile-driver. All of them. I got nothing else good to say these days about horrible people

On 12/31/2017 at 2:02 PM, No Excuses said:

I'm fairly certain that swatting, within the gaming community, predates "gaming personalities" as we know them today.  Before youtube even existed people were talking about pulling stunts like this on the old IRC channels.  Anyone remember when IRC was big?  The gaming spaces there could often make today's Reddit and twitter seem friendly and rational. 

It worth mentioning that swatting and other malicious tricks that gamers are known for, did not start and have never been limited to gaming circles. 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'm fairly certain that swatting predates "gaming personalities" as we know them today.  Before youtube even existed people were talking about pulling stunts like this on the old IRC channels.  Anyone remember when IRC was big?  The gaming spaces there could often make today's Reddit and twitter seem friendly and rational. 

IRC chat rooms and player ran game forum boards were brutal back in the day.  Death threats, direct personal attacks, etc.  Most all player message boards/forums had a specific page/board just for flaming and all out fighting for all members with just about "anything goes".  That sadly was the norm back in 1997-early 2000s.

Edit:  Not to mention since the IRC channels were made by users, same with game message boards, usually teenage kids or young adults, there was basically zero moderation.  

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

IRC chat rooms and player ran game forum boards were brutal back in the day.  Death threats, direct personal attacks, etc.  Most all player message boards/forums had a specific page/board just for flaming and all out fighting for all members with just about "anything goes".  That sadly was the norm back in 1997-early 2000s.

You're exactly right and yet part of me remembers it fondly.  Weird. 

Just now, Destino said:

You're exactly right and yet part of me remembers it fondly.  Weird. 

When you look back and think about it today, kinda scary that all those actions/anger/etc were just normal, everyday behavior (not normal as in I participated, but normal in the sense it was out there, widespread).  It was everywhere, every message board for a game that was ran by just some random gamer.  I remember one guy I played UO with getting into it with some other guy and giving him his address to meet up and fight.  Just crazy stuff.  People wishing death on others, telling them to kill themselves, etc.  

This was of course before anyone knew how to handle the outcomes because it was some random kid on the internet.  Then we finally started seeing people be held accountable if they told someone to kill themselves and they actually did it.  If people think personal attacks on here are bad, jump in the Delorean, set the date to Jan. 3rd, 1999 and hit up IRC chat rooms or fan run gaming message boards.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

If people think personal attacks on here are bad, jump in the Delorean, set the date to Jan. 3rd, 1999 and hit up IRC chat rooms or fan run gaming message boards.

The difference would be like stepping out of a library and finding yourself in the middle of a street riot.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A California man pleaded guilty Tuesday to making a hoax call that ultimately led police to fatally shoot a Kansas man following a dispute between two online gamers over $1.50 bet in a Call of Duty WWII video game.

Tyler R. Barriss , 26, admitted to making the false report resulting in a death, as well as cyberstalking and conspiracy related to the deadly swatting calls in Kansas. The deal with prosecutors will send him to prison for between 20 and 25 years, if the judge accepts it. He had previously pleaded not guilty in Kansas.

• 4 months later...

Archived