Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

A GM with real vision and foresight would have realized that this was the ideal time to rebuild. We're seeing a revolution now in the NFL in that the teams that are winning have talented young QBs on dirt cheap rookie contracts. See: Eagles last year. Chiefs, Bears, Rams, Jags, etc.

Once it was clear we weren't keeping Cousins, the smarter move would have been to start clearing cap space and getting younger at other spots instead of committing $20 Mil+ for a QB like Smith. Now, I don't think Smith is bad, but I just don't think this current team is gonna win a championship with Smith at QB making that kind of money over the next 3-4 years.

4 minutes ago, Makaveli said:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Looking like Allen got fleeced by Reid again. That trade is 100% on him.

No the problem is that this team isn't good enough to win with anyone other than a elite QB. The defense is garbage and they are proving it tonight. I mean it is what it is guys. This team has been garbage from the time Snyder bought the team. I don't expect anything to change with him being the owner. 

Facebook John Keim so i can't put a link up

11062032_1399080243754651_55146264512533

Thoughts and observations after the Washington Redskins 23-17 win over the Carolina Panthers:

1. Last week was one of the more unusual weeks for the Redskins. There was a good deal of self-inspection by many inside the building, the head coach included. He needs to definitely look at what he does and what he demands of his team if the Redskins want to make the playoffs this season. There was a heightened sense of urgency. That’s not to say they’re overly lax in other weeks, but Monday’s game vs. the Saints left many embarrassed and, in year five of a regime, acutely aware of reality. That’s why Sunday’s win was so huge. One former Redskins player last week said he knew they’d lose to New Orleans because of the bye and because they probably felt too good after beating Green Bay. They need to maintain a level of anger this week. It’s also about consistent preparation.

2. I don’t think anyone there wanted to see how life might have been with another loss. It’s clear what this season means to more than a few people; more than a few are on notice. They're well aware of the stakes.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, wit33 said:

How about the trenches of this team on both sides of ball. 

First and foremost, this dude had the audacity to say Bruce is building a “dynasty”. ? I mean, let’s take some baby steps here.

The offensive line everyone keeps crying about?  I actually like the OL more than most people here, unless they only cry about them in defense of how Alex has played.  That said, Trent is great but getting up there, Scherff is a beast and Moses is pretty good.

The Dline, I’m liking where it’s going with the Alabama boys and MattI.  That said, does this Dline hit its stride while still affordable, and if so - what about the other side of the ball?  

Every team has some good pieces, every GM is responsible for some good players.  However it all has to come together at the same time.  And it’s really all for nothing without a QB.  

And since we’re here in this thread, I’ll use it as a launching point for something I’ve been noticing.  The new guys brought in to drum up interest in the team.  Hats off to what they are doing.  Extending the olive branch to 106.7 is so smart, something Bruce would never do with “the enemy”.  Of course they are doing more than that. I just think it’s good that folks are being brought in to fix the other stuff Bruce has been in charge of and failed at.  My only concern is that these moves are only about money from Dan’s standpoint and he’s still missing the forest for the trees.  One can hope not.

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I like what Bruce is doing.

Slowly and methodically building a dynasty.

Only problem is it being too slow for some fans.

Easy now. I am generally fairly optimistic - although I try to stay tempered in reality. Dynasty? We should probably win a few division titles, some play off games and at least get to a SB before any talk like this. The NFL is pretty fickle. All it takes is a few key injuries. The only team that truly claim dynasty is NE. I like the general direction in most ways but I do not see dynasty coming out of this group just yet. 

I appreciate your enthusiasm and nothing would make me and pretty much everyone here happier. But it's entirely too early to start throwing the word dynasty around. Need to get to consistently good first. 

16 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Too premature to call it this. 

We need to see football guys elevated and listened to consistently in the FO before making this call.

That, plus our coaching needs an upgrade. No way we become a dynasty with Captain Idiot calling the shots.

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yes, in fact, the whole League is failing to notice, devilishly clever of Bruce.  Winning off the field! 

(sarcasm) 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So the Redskins official social media page on Facebook posted that Happy Birthday, Bruce Allen picture I posted above.  It’s rare that I ever look in the comments section but I did today.  I scrolled through roughly 100 comments and found literally 1 comment that wasn’t snide.  

Are you surprised by this?

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So the Redskins official social media page on Facebook posted that Happy Birthday, Bruce Allen picture I posted above.  It’s rare that I ever look in the comments section but I did today.  I scrolled through roughly 100 comments and found literally 1 comment that wasn’t snide.  

I can't find it... could you link to it?

Archived