Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

24 minutes ago, Tailgates of Hell said:

The refs as a whole continue to be atrocious this season both for and against us. The fake PI on Garcon last week, the Vernon Davis "fumble" a ton of stuff last night... they're just bad. I don't know what it is, but the beginning of that game was totally unwatchable. Went both ways, but it was not good. 

I think the refs are in a no-win situation. They are trying to call the game preferring to make calls that involve replay (a score or turnover). That way the main office has a chance to check the film and get it right. The problem is that there has to be irrefutable evidence to overturn a call. Let's look at the Davis fumble as an example. It was called a fumble on the field and the command center didn't have a camera angle showing the ball was not moving when he was down, so the bad call stands. Add in that the refs are being asked to call the game with player safety top of mind and they are constantly trying to push ownership over the call to someone else.  

Part of me just wants to do away with instant replay. Before there were bad calls, but at least the officiating team owned it. Now there are so many decision makers on any given call one really is responsible for it when it goes the wrong way.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

To me it was pretty clear that he was saying that he was obviously touched.  I think you're right about the crew sucking (NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but this one isn't what you think it is.

I hope you are right, thanks for the correction. Doesn't change my opinion of that crew, they are terrible. 

I don't think the Skins can win with Cousins.

Has anyone given thought to signing Kaepernick at some point?

Its a good PC/PR move if nothing else.

I'm grasping at straws ... admittedly ... but Redskins Nation needs something other than same ole ... same ole!

3 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

The play where the Bird DB almost made a interception, Scherff ran to make the tackle but slowed up as the ball fell incomplete and at the same time the Eagle lineman pushed him with both hands from behind, and when BS fell the dirt bag Eagle jumped on him with all his weight, well after the play was over. BS was hurt and had to come out and went right to the ref complaining why was there no call. Even the announcers complained about the no call. If that was not a cheap shot then I am the pope. The play where the Eagle guy hit BS in the knee was not a mistake. BS had his legs planted and the Eagle guy made believe he was being blocked but he could have missed BS but he chose to plant his shoulder right into Brandon's knee instead of missing it. If he did not want to hit. BS in the knee he should have put his hands out to break his fall. Eagles, total scum bags.

Schwartz, hated when the Eagles got him while we sat there with dingleberry. He's from the Gregg Williams defensive coaching"tree" so you can expect some dirty stuff, same stuff we used to cheer about when he coached here.

11 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Schwartz, hated when the Eagles got him while we sat there with dingleberry. He's from the Gregg Williams defensive coaching"tree" so you can expect some dirty stuff, same stuff we used to cheer about when he coached here.

I think that should-have-been penalty can't be looked at objectively by many. Remember, most of us were arguing that this was a clean hit: 

Do I think Baker blindsided Foles? Yes.

Was it dirty? Probably.

Did it feel good? Hell Yeah!!!

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

I think the refs are in a no-win situation. They are trying to call the game preferring to make calls that involve replay

Naa, I think it's obvious looking at all the games and not just focusing on one teams games that the refs are trying to stop a team from blowing out or getting a big lead on the other team early in games.

Its either the league focusing on ratings taking a dive and trying to do something about it or they are straight up gambling in vegas. I don't care what it is but it's been like this for a while.

Whatever it is though is effective on weak minded teams like the Redskins who go in every week, should be up 14-20 points most of the time, the refs can literally throw a flag on any play in any game so what's important is which ones they actually throw flags on and guess what? It's usually or always the ones that keeps the team about to get turned into a one dimensional offense from getting smoked. How many 3rd downs did we stop the chiefs then a flag after the play, for instance. Sure it was probably a penalty but there were also 50 others not thrown in the same quarter.

In reality the things they throw flags on also don't get flags most of the time, interesting timing on a lot of flags, in many games. Not just Redskins games. Some teams break, some keep it together, ours was keeping it together mostly before all those injuries.

Philly fans were complaining their asses off the previous week about every single call going against them but it didn't even matter since their team blew out their opponent anyway. The Redskins usually fold, its getting better but that's how it's been for a long time.

5 hours ago, Unbias said:

I don't see a hold. We blitzed and sent 6 against 6 blockers. They almost got home, but didn't quite get him down. 

Why can't we just say Wentz made a great play? Not many QBs have the desire to stay up or the strength to do so. I'm not saying he's going to do that for the next 10+ years every Sunday, but give some respect when it's due. 

It is the guy on the far side of number 54.  I think it is 53 (Brown).  Hard to see from that angle, but the guy is wrapped around his head and pads and just tackles him.  Yes, still a great play by Wentz, but I am a 'Skins fan and would have loved to see the holding call.  If it had happened outside of they pileup, it would have been 100% obvious.

13 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Yes, still a great play by Wentz, but I am a 'Skins fan and would have loved to see the holding call.  If it had happened outside of they pileup, it would have been 100% obvious.

Actually yeah that's clearly holding. He was actually preventing the defender from making a play and he was trying to sack the qb.

They say they don't call all the 50000 other holds because the guy wasn't going to get the Qb anyway. No idea how they see into the future like that but this one was undeniable considering he was already trying to drag him down.

At this point of the season, the Redskins are facing a tough schedule and they have major players suffering injuries.

Offense: The decision to make Pryor a number one is not working out. As a matter of fact, its part of the reason our run game is suffering. Its also a reason we can't sustain drives like we did last year. Big plays - forget about it. No defense is going to play deep if there is no threat. So safeties can play the run more effective. I remember Pacman Jones' take on Pryor. He called him "garbage". I'm beginning to agree. I know he's just beginning to learn the position, but learning is done in college. Notwithstanding, its fair to say he won't be here next year. But even with limited play by Pryor, the Eagles exposed the Redskins receiver corps (not that it hasn't been already this season). An opposing defense can pretty much blitz until their heart is content. The skins didn't show they have receivers that can win. Defenses can also run blitz, because our TE can't block.

Defense: Injuries. To me, because of injuries, it feels like this defense may resort back to the way they played last year. Hoping DJ's play was isolated to that game and that he wasn't actually exposed. My hope is that he simply needs to trust who's in the game and keep an eye on his job.

Overall: I'm not as optimistic as I was early on. This game against the Eagle was eye opening in a bad way.

We lost to a team that is playing better than us at this time plain and simple

Was happy to see Jordan Reed get going - he is one of the few difference makers we have and if he can start performing up to the Jordan Reed level of receiving excellence we have all become accustomed to, then that can certainly help us this season

I was glad to see Josh Doctson get some serious playing time...Pryor just hasn't been the answer and maybe this will light a fire under him or maybe Doctson will start to explode, but regardless we need to get some production from WR at some point this season to be competitive

Defense is definitely improved, but giving up too many big plays

Run game is still nonexistent unless we play the Rams

I'm starting to sour slightly on Jay, but he has always seemed to get the team going when their back is against the wall, so here's hoping for that

Overall, I'm not worried considering we just lost to a team in their own building and playing as good as anyone in the league right now...Here's to hoping they are peaking early like they did last year and hit a major wall

We can play with anyone, we just need to hit that next level that I think can still be reached - I'd rather peak at the end of the season than at the beginning like the Eagles

Eagles Defer.... it's life in the copy cat NFL now. So how do we counter the chance the opposition will get the ball twice in a row end of half / 3rd quarter. Should we try, or give up and blindly hope for the best.

I agree with @skinny21 that hurry up early in games is a good idea, in part because it doesn't run risk of the now famous "not letting the defense have a chance to rest" phobia.  And you know what, an offenses tempo will have a hand in determining who has the ball at the end of the half. Sure, we are probably not polished enough to use hurry up or slow playing to control who ends the first half with the ball, but its seems like it's worth a try.

We get the ball, 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter on our 20. I want Jay to try to use that full 4 minutes, even if he crashes and burns. How to do that - the obvious - don't come out going deep/low % passes. It can be simple things.

Conversely the Eagles get the ball, 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter on our 20. Manusky could dial up very risk aggressive play calls early.  If we give up an 80 yard TD pass, we get the ball with 3:30 left, and you know what, THEIR defense didn't get a chance to rest. If we go prevent there, we almost ensure we won't get the ball back with time.

After decades of doing nothing we have FINALLY seen us using timeouts on defense near the end of the first half, to save time for one more possession. This is one of the more no brainer things to do to try to eek out the final first half possession, yet think I have seen us aggressively do it a handful of times. In my lifetime.  I'd also like to see this employed if we are winning big or losing big, but coaches traditionally seem to use both scenarios to head to the locker room and leave well enough alone. Flashing back to Kelvin Bryant getting injured....

Those are just some simple scenarios. Belly/Brady cannot be the only duo on the planet that can manage the clock effectively. Getting scored on twice via deferment Monday night seemed like a real kick in the nuts from which we never recovered.

@RandyHoltThe back-to-back scoring drives (before and after halftime) almost got us vs San Fran too.  I like that Gruden (typically?) defers, but we have to be extra mindful of how to deal with it.  Doesn't mean Gruden isn't, but it's presenting itself as an issue.  I'm hoping he and Manusky are communicating about the issue in-game.  

I've said it before, but hurry up seems to reduce the time Kirk has to overthink things (most qbs, really).  Reduces the time for Ds to communicate, tires them out, etc.  It's like cleaning the house, vs blitz cleaning because someone's about to stop by - that urgency brings out a different level of... well, urgency.  I know some of you know what I'm talking about, lol

I'm guessing it's gonna be tougher to go that route now with oline injuries.  

11 hours ago, petedaddy said:

We lost to a team that is playing better than us at this time plain and simple

Overall, I'm not worried considering we just lost to a team in their own building and playing as good as anyone in the league right now...Here's to hoping they are peaking early like they did last year and hit a major wall

We can play with anyone, we just need to hit that next level that I think can still be reached - I'd rather peak at the end of the season than at the beginning like the Eagles

Agreed.  As an Eagles fan I'm actually pretty pessimistic for playoff success, especially with Peters/Hicks done for season.  RBs are very bad at picking up the blitz and defenses will figure out a way to attack Wentz, especially as I expect the running game to suffer with Peters gone.  Eagles have some very good defenses (Denver, Chicago, Seattle) upcoming that I expect will bring them back down to earth a bit.  I also could totally see them losing their first game of the playoffs if they have to go up against a team with a hot defense & QB (which the skins could become over the next 2 months).

Skins are a good team.  Like every other team they might have a weakness or two, but they are an overall balanced team, good QB and can easily score > 20 points per game.  You all will be fine if everyone heals up.  And, please beat Dallas this weekend!

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Guy was wobbling walking towards him.  No credit knocking out drunk people.  Thats easy.  But maybe we should sign this guy to give our team a spark.  Instill some fight in US!

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@RandyHoltThe back-to-back scoring drives (before and after halftime) almost got us vs San Fran too.  I like that Gruden (typically?) defers, but we have to be extra mindful of how to deal with it.  Doesn't mean Gruden isn't, but it's presenting itself as an issue.  I'm hoping he and Manusky are communicating about the issue in-game.  

I've said it before, but hurry up seems to reduce the time Kirk has to overthink things (most qbs, really).  Reduces the time for Ds to communicate, tires them out, etc.  It's like cleaning the house, vs blitz cleaning because someone's about to stop by - that urgency brings out a different level of... well, urgency.  I know some of you know what I'm talking about, lol

I'm guessing it's gonna be tougher to go that route now with oline injuries.  

Having end-of-half issues consistently over years is a coaching problem.  

Hurry-up dictates that you leave the same personnel group in, and you trust your QB, and the play-caller relinqueshes control.  That's impossible for Captain Yuk Yuk Yuk.  

26 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Guy was wobbling walking towards him.  No credit knocking out drunk people.  Thats easy.  But maybe we should sign this guy to give our team a spark.  Instill some fight in US!

In the comments one of raider nation said the fans wanted to trade for him.

In a few days late on this party. Have to agree with OP for the most part. 

On offense... They opened up well on that first drive... but once again, red zone woes continue to haunt...I felt they did not run the ball enough. Got to pound that D line... with a fresh hammer, we let that slip. Cousins never seemed to get in a groove. And OMG... am I SO tired of wasting clock. You have 22 seconds with 2 time outs... at least try... TRY!!! They just had two back breakers... you need to put up some points... or at least steal some momentum back.

On D. I loved the pass rush (slippery QB notwithstanding), and overall stout run D.

Dunbar got flat out abused. I really fell if we had a healthy secondary, this game would have been very different.

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's funny... the final line in the article got me belly laughing...

"There may be nothing more Philadelphia than more people fighting in the background of a fight video."

True words have never been spoken.

my feeling is Jim Schartz is a douchebag and is ok w his guys playing dirty...

we were out coached and outplayed...Cousins still can't quite really take over a tough tight game, left some scramble yards and completions on the field and we couldn't get to Wentz like we should of...

and Grudens play calling is sometimes brilliant and sometimes....he can't quite figure out how to beat what the opposing D coordinator is doing...Schwartz got him in the end even after our fast start...

Does anyone have more insight into the tow hits on Scherff that caused injury...same guy and dirty as hell? I couldn't tell what happened on the play where he took out his knee...?

13 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Well coming from a Raiders fan, that doesn't say much.  Only fans like theirs would want to trade for a dude who knocks down a drunk guy.  

I don't see too many Cowboy fans complaining about Zeke. 

32 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I don't see too many Cowboy fans complaining about Zeke. 

There is video of these two fans fighting, there is video of Ray Rice knocking his wife out, there is video of Mixon knocking a woman out, there is video of Junior Gillette beating on a woman with a belt buckle....

Is there any pics, videos, arrests records, witness testimony?  When did Zeke knock down/out a drunk guy?  You got a link?  By the way, what does a fan knocking down another fan have to do with a football player?

Archived