Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

50 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Then why would we have any illegal immigrants at all ?

Rest of the world is an oasis of perfection, no terrorism, no healthcare issues, no corruption, no dictators, no racism, no religious persecution, no crime, no guns to protect themselves from anything. 

Oh, and no poor people of course. 

Your generalization is so over the top, as is most folks perception when they come with the whole 'America is a laughingstock' position.

People would not abandon their families to come to this horrible country. 

And you certainly don't see folks fighting to get back to other countries. 

i hope that the USA doesn't have to start comparing ourselves to the Venezuela/Zimbabwe/Syria/Sudan crowd to feel good about ourselves... ?   

(or even the Thailand/Greece/South Africa tier...) 

i want to shine in the A-list.    compare us to Japan/Finland/Netherlands/Australia/Canada.... etc.....  and we are uuber strong in some areas (entrepreneurialism, for instance), but lacking in some of the other important areas mentioned  (healthcare, violence, upward mobility..etc...)   

we can do better.  and have have every reason to expect that we SHOULD do better.    

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

You're right. "What if" this is not a product of the current mass shooting culture in America. We'd still have it there as the new normal and this as an outlier. 

323.1M people in the United States. 7.4B people in the world. Seems like today a single person can inflict more damage on others by themselves with a gun or a bomb or something biological, than any other time in the history of mankind. Directions are online. Access to the information and tools are readily available. 

I think words are the most deadly weapon in history.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Meanwhile the NRA is busy paying off Republicans and dropping videos about fisting the liberal media and starting a civil war. 

Yeah the last line [deleted] went over the line, I’d suggest an edit.

Hoping for murder is not ok, waiting for an aneurysm seems better IMO.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

It can be absurd to you, but it absolutely is used in concert with "mental illness" when it comes to a mass shooting perpetrated by a white male. 

This is factually wrong.

Orlando: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2016/06/lone_wolf_terrorists_like_omar_mateen_present_a_different_kind_of_threat.html

San Bernardino: http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-obama-terror-address-20151205-story.html

Fort Hood: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hasan-likely-lone-wolf-officials-say/

Boston Marathon: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-marathon-lone-wolf/index.html

The term 'lone wolf' is used to indicate that the incident is not being coordinated by an outside group or entity. 

Lone Wold defined:

Definition of lone wolf

:a person who prefers to work, act, or live alone

I'm not sure where the talking point about lone wolf being used for white, mentally ill men came from, but it is NOT accurate.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

The sad thing is, 45 years ago the GOP was pro regulation. Then they hitched themselves to the NRA and the southern apologists uprising and went bananas within 8 years.

How many more mass shootings will it take before people mandate change?

crazy thing is that the NRA used to encourage better marksmanship and stricter gun control laws. But all that changes in the late 70s/early 80s. 

And things just get stranger: 

poster992.jpg

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/vegas-shooters-father-was-on-fbi-most-wanted-list.html

Guy's father was a notorious bank robber and was on the FBI's most wanted? 

Also this guy was a gambler:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/stephen-paddock-las-vegas-shooting-suspect-identified-n806471

"

The suspected gunman behind the Las Vegas massacre made several large gambling transactions in recent weeks, according to law enforcement officials.

The transactions in Las Vegas by Stephen Paddock were in the tens of thousands, the officials said.

It was not immediately clear if those transactions were losses or wins."

Got a message from my brother in the wee hours of the a.m. saying every one was okay. Had no idea what he was talking about until a couple of hours later when I woke up. Glad they're all doing okay and hoping they weren't there. Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this and RIP to those who lost their lives.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Full disclosure I rooted for Romo to be literally ripped in half every time we played them. 

Of all the insufferable Cowboys, I'm not sure why the hatred for Romo.  He literally never won anything of note.  And he dated both Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood.  Definitely had more game off the field than on it... :)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Of all the insufferable Cowboys, I'm not sure why the hatred for Romo.  He literally never won anything of note.  And he dated both Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood.  Definitely had more game off the field than on it... :)  

I never really hated that many of the Cowboys, maybe except Michael Irvin.  And I was just jealous that we didn't have anyone that good when it came to him.  I hated them cause they were Cowboys but I've respected a lot of their players over the years.  Romo seemed like a good dude, who knew he'd turn into a great announcer? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

FBI guy said can't rule anything out but said his gambling most likely played a large part in this... He had been at the hotel since the 28th. He believes it could have been, among many other things, a case of 'losing it all' and then taking it out on everyone else

OR...

He knew he was gonna do this and spent his remaining time with the mind-set "you can't take it with you..." We'll never know.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. For short barrel rifles and suppressors you're correct. However, unless you're a registered dealer, you cannot (legally) buy a machine gun unless it was made in 1986 or prior...period. So the only way you could buy a machine gun is if you found a pre-1986 one online or something, then had them send it to a local dealer who is a licensed FFL. That or if the dealer has pre-ban machine guns in stock. Then you pay the tax, wait for a few months for it to go through and can have the gun.

So if this guy was using any modern (post-1986) rifles and they were indeed automatic then he was either a dealer, got them illegally, or modified them himself illegally. A bump stock is another possibility. I've seen videos of guys who were adept at using a bump stock and they kept up with a person firing a full auto quite well.

The ATF will track the paths those guns took from the manufacturer to that hotel room.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. For short barrel rifles and suppressors you're correct. However, unless you're a registered dealer, you cannot (legally) buy a machine gun unless it was made in 1986 or prior...period. So the only way you could buy a machine gun is if you found a pre-1986 one online or something, then had them send it to a local dealer who is a licensed FFL. That or if the dealer has pre-ban machine guns in stock. Then you pay the tax, wait for a few months for it to go through and can have the gun.

So if this guy was using any modern (post-1986) rifles and they were indeed automatic then he was either a dealer, got them illegally, or modified them himself illegally. A bump stock is another possibility. I've seen videos of guys who were adept at using a bump stock and they kept up with a person firing a full auto quite well.

To add...

it's a little more than just waiting a few months. The requirements are on ATF's website. They include exhaustive background checks, in person interviews, inventory checking, and other things depending on exactly what kind of license you're applying for.

Also, the idea that you can just modify a gun to be an automatic is incorrect. You have to have access to some pretty expensive machinery to do that sort of thing, or have access to very specific types of guns.

Not that it really matters, it's perfectly reasonable to think a semi-automatic rifle could do this damage in the hands of a person that understands how to use it. it was a giant crowd of people that, based on early reports, had no idea where to run to because they didn't understand where the shooting was coming from.

Such a shame people can lose their lives to such nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The ATF will track the paths those guns took from the manufacturer to that hotel room.

Maybe. ATF has a hard time tracking things like this sometimes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Brian Mitchell Truth said:

Im thinking okay....  they must be filming a movie nearby or something, then I saw masses of people running all over the place, some of them bloody with their own blood or someone who was near them that got shot blood.  It was surreal y'all, Im telling you.  I thought at that moment it was some (excuse me for being prejudiced) some guy from the middle east on one of them killing spree holy missions.

People wouldn't know this based on media coverage, but we Americans are perfectly good at killing ourselves without outside help.  The amount of murder/domestic terrorism dwarfs any foreign involvement.

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

The sad thing is, 45 years ago the GOP was pro regulation. Then they hitched themselves to the NRA and the southern apologists uprising and went bananas within 8 years.

How many more mass shootings will it take before people mandate change?

There's too much money in it.  It's not going to change.  

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

This is far from true. 

Well, they currently laugh a lot at our leader.  

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Not that it really matters, it's perfectly reasonable to think a semi-automatic rifle could do this damage in the hands of a person that understands how to use it. it was a giant crowd of people that, based on early reports, had no idea where to run to because they didn't understand where the shooting was coming from.

But the sounds of gunfire clearly indicated automatic weaponry, correct?