Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

Coaches favor going with the status quo. I want Chase, but expect Long.  

Players say they are "ready to go" @ less than 100% because they know injuries are how they can lose their jobs.  Long must be thrilled every single NT he faced is gone so that should make practice a little easier on him. But at this point, the DL are not going to tee off on Long anyways and really test that knee... at least not until the 11th hour, maybe today. 

The way I see it, Jay has already decided that Chase is good enough to be a backup C in this league. If he is good enough to be a backup, Jay should be able to trust him for a game.

2013-11-11-columbo.gif

Here's some OL lingo for you, in case you aren't familiar:

Drive block:

This is the first one you learn. Basically you engage your target head-on and drive him backwards. When you see guys hitting the blocking sled, this is what they're doing.

Angle block:

Unlike a drive block, you engage the target at an angle. This is a key technique supporting influence blocks.

Pull:

To pull, you quickly pivot and open your hips to the side you're heading for, then quickly move behind the other linemen toward a target further down the line.

Slide block:

You are shifting to one side or the other as you begin executing your block. An example might be a run play where you want to create a cutback lane. If the whole line slide blocks to the right, and the RB takes his initial steps to the right, the D might "bite" on that, opening a cutback to the left.

Trap:

This is a blocking scheme involving two or more OL. Here is the simplest type of trap I can think of: LG pulls to the right, C, RG and RT slide block to the left. This leaves the man over the RT unblocked, and he begins penetrating into the backfield. The LG catches him off guard with an angle block and rides him past the RB, who is now hitting the hole.

Reach:

This block is necessary when the defender you are trying to block is between you and the hole (for instance if you are RG and there is a man lined up between C and RG, your are assigned to him, and your assignment requires you to drive him to the right). This block requires you to get off the line very quickly and basically go across your target to end up positioned between him and the hole. You need to engage the defender then swing your lower body so you have a firm base between him and the hole

Influence:

This looks like a reach block at first - you move as if you want to go across the defender. But, you are really hoping to make them think reach block so they will go in that direction and resist. This allows you to then use their momentum against them and push them in the direction they're already going. When you hear someone say a blocker rode their man past the hole, this is often the type of block they've thrown.

3 hours ago, Jacoby66forHOF said:

You are comparing a rookie RT (Jansen) that started 50 straight games at Michigan at RT and was a 2nd round pick to a guy (Roullier) that played at Wyoming, only played one year at center (14 games) and was a 6th round pick.   Apples and oranges.

You say apples and oranges; I say sangria!

On 8/27/2017 at 2:15 AM, joeken24 said:

My sentiments exactly. I believe what you see out of the Aaron Rogers, Ben Roethlisberger and (sad to say) Tony Romo's of the world is a innate ability. Don't think you can coach or even work on it. I believe you either have it or you don't. Its done without thinking or calculating. Kirk strikes me as one that is more calculated in his actions than organic. Doesn't make him bad. But it doesn't lend itself to the "sandlot style" needed to do some of the things you see out of the three just mentioned. 

We'll see......

So after one game, I stand by my earlier comments about Kirk. So you couple that with inaccuracy, drops and maybe a few miss- assignments by a WR (we'll find out in Cooley film breakdown) and you get wet garbage. To his defense, this team has also not solidified the middle of this offensive line. But either way, Kirk reminds me of a little better version of Todd Collins, so everything will have to be damn near perfect for this offense to click with Kirk at the helm.

I'm going to watch from a distance using my handy dandy NFL Mobile app moving forward. 

How did Long grade out?  Snaps were good but the OL was garbage overall, but do remember quite a few times I asked why Kirk didn't step up. You can guess why he didn't.  All 3 interior seemed off.  I thought the continuity thing from last year was a bit of a cure all and in part why Long was out there. I guess not. Cox is a pain in the ass sure but we largely see the same things against all opponents.  Every interior + Moses seems to get embarrassed once a game of late.

Kelley's one great run, that DL downfield de-cleated him rather rudely.  He looks a bit quicker but the entire run game just seems off and I am not sure Perine is the answer for it, being cut from the Kelley mold somewhat.

I still think our play calling is questionable, particularly run. We look like a zone team trying to run power. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

How did Long grade out?  Snaps were good but the OL was garbage overall, but do remember quite a few times I asked why Kirk didn't step up. You can guess why he didn't.  All 3 interior seemed off.  I thought the continuity thing from last year was a bit of a cure all and in part why Long was out there. I guess not. Cox is a pain in the ass sure we largely see the same things against all opponents.  Every interior + Moses seems to get embarrassed once a game of late.

Not a good excuse but Kirk was high on his passes all day and having free runners right in his face is a factor.  You don't want batted balls and that tends to cause a QB to use a higher trajectory. 

I have zero confidence in our O-line to get a yard when needed.  As a long time Redskin man that's a terrible feeling.

I don't want to suggest that Willy is following methods and principles that might be a tad passe,  but this is the same guy who was too lazy to change the playbook Chucky had installed before the biggest game of the year,  against that same guy.  Clearly he's not a revolutionary or innovative thinker.  Is Jim Hanifan still above ground?  If he is I'll go get him myself and drag him back to Redskins Park.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:31 AM, NoCalMike said:

Bill Callahan is becoming the the offense's version of the 4-3....where the switch took place long enough ago that they seemingly should have made the right switches and replacements to make it work better by now.

Sup brother.  Long time.  Look at you,  all making sense and logical!!

Where is NoCal and what have you done to him?

Offensive line has been a weakness on this team for 20 years.  Last year was the first year it seemed they played well.  I don't want to see a regression.  I would have to rewatch the game to single out people but I agree with the poster above that the interior of the line looks horrible.

12 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Offensive line has been a weakness on this team for 20 years.  Last year was the first year it seemed they played well.  I don't want to see a regression.  I would have to rewatch the game to single out people but I agree with the poster above that the interior of the line looks horrible.

Samuels-Dockery-Rabach-Thomas-Jansen (2005) was a pretty good line.  I would not call that line a weakness.  Portis ran for 1,516 and the vaunted combo of Brunell & Ramsey through for 3,300.  But yeah....

The Dirtbags were awesome.  They were one of the best OLs in football until the second half of 2009, when everything abruptly fell apart.  Samuels's spinal stenosis finally forced him to retire and that's really what did it.  Jansen also got old in a hurry and couldn't match up any more.  And Randy Thomas also suffered a career ending injury that season, and that really screwed us because we didn't have a replacement.  Pete Kendall had been our band-aid for losing Dockery and he had retired.

2009 was the year that began our OL troubles.  The line performed well in 2012 thanks to RGIII, and it was legitimately good in 2015 and 2016.  Outside those three seasons its been horrible.

As for yesterday, the OL had a horrible day against one of the best defensive fronts in football.  It happens, and it doesn't mean that Moses and Scherff suddenly suck.  They'll bounce back.  They could absolutely use some more talent at LG and C, but Scherff and Moses will be fine.

Archived