Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I hate to say it but Snyder and Allen might have done the right thing

hockeyiszen

My question is why did this all come out now?

Crucial time of the year where a stable GM is needed. And:hitfan:just as Combine ended, FA period happening, Pro Days coming up and the draft in April still to come. The timing for all this drama blows. Who's fault is it, I don't care. Who suffers, I don't want to sound selfish, but ..........the fans!!!!!

1 minute ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The power struggle thing doesn't make much sense to me given the timing. If it was just about a difference of opinion, the exit would have been much smoother and not likely on the first day of free agency. There's nothing particularly messy about executives with differing opinions and one has to leave. That's common in businesses everywhere. This ended in messy fashion which leads me to believe it wasn't a run of the mill clash of ideas.

I agree with you, as it doesn't seem that just a power struggle would lead to the debacle that this has become. You never know though, Scott was apparently told he had total authority, and was then undermined all the way. Scott was pissed, and the relationship continued to sour for months. I just find it interesting with all the leaks coming out about said power struggle, but nothing about Scott's drinking problem until after fired. 

I don't keep up with the team like I used to but, in my opinion, he should be fired for not getting a deal done with Kirk anyway.  No franchise QB since Sonny and you can't lock up Kirk and/or you might have ticked him off.

To me that falls under the "YOU HAD ONE JOB" category.  Sure the alcohol stuff is bad, but that took me from being pro Scot to thinking maybe he doesn't have a freaking clue how to do his job.

No they aren't. Allen is insecure and weak. He's just like Snyder, he wants yes men and wants someone that won't fight back. I really can't stand these two men. They're losers.

Scot has is issues too. But if you bring him in here you have to let him do it his way. That means you let him bring in his own guys. Allen didn't let him do that. Plus how come all this drinking stuff comes out when they want to fire him? Just classless BS. If it was a real issue then they should have nipped it in the bud right away. That wasn't done.

It must suck going over to Ashburn everyday if you work at Redskin Park. I'd probably drink before work if I had to go there everyday.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Looking only at the alcohol side of the equation, I guess my only question is "What did the Redskins try?"
I would have liked to see a leave of absence. I'd like to have seen other supports. Now, supposedly McCloughan has been to rehab and that didn't help, but when taking on a known risk like this what did they do to try to make sure it would work? Could they have done more? Should they have done more? 

We'll never know what they did, what they didn't do.  For all we know, Snyder offered to send him on his private jet to rehab 43 times, and he turned him down.  It's possible they did nothing.  The extent of what they tried to or didn't try to do will probably never be known.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Even if Scot was struggling with alcohol, the organization handled this very poorly. And now the public shaming from team sources is very bush league.

The communication from the beginning of this mess was absolutely atrocious. 

"General Manager Scot M. is handling some personal matters.  Those matters are between him and the team.  For privacy and confidentiality reasons, we really cannot discuss further.  In his absence, the following people will be assuming his responsibilities.  We will let you know when more information is available, but for the time being, in fairness to Scot, his family, and our organization, this is all we can say on the matter."

Do not say his grandmother passed away, don't say he's a great guy and he'll be back, don't say anything about anything.  Will fans immediately jump to the conclusion that something funky is going on?  Sure.  Will the media do whatever the media will do?  Sure.

But what Bruce did by offering all this other information, even if it might have been with good intentions, was just the flat wrong way to handle it.

59 minutes ago, zoony said:

Yah Im not sure what profession this would be okay in

Reading this post and looking 2 inches to the left at your avatar made me laugh. 

29 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

They did Scot dirty...starting from when the FO had Cooley plant the seed a few weeks back, the grandmother excuse, etc.  This is a clown show at it's finest.  We had something good going here, and now there are more questions than answers. 

Cooley never said what everybody reported that he said.  I was listening that morning, and when he started to get crushed, I had no idea why.  Then I went and read the articles, and was like, "wait, he didn't actually say what they said he said."

He said essentially that you have to at least consider the possibility that something from his past is haunting him. Along with power struggle with Allen, not having the role that he was given, etc.  He never said that SM was drinking.  Just that, given his past, it has to be somewhat part of the discussion.  

Newsflash: it's the first thing I thought of too.  Guy has been fired from 2 jobs for the same thing, now he's absent from a third. 

2 minutes ago, rebornempowered said:

I don't keep up with the team like I used to but, in my opinion, he should be fired for not getting a deal done with Kirk anyway.  No franchise QB since Sonny and you can't lock up Kirk and/or you might have ticked him off.

To me that falls under the "YOU HAD ONE JOB" category.  Sure the alcohol stuff is bad, but that took me from being pro Scot to thinking maybe he doesn't have a freaking clue how to do his job.

I think part of the bone of contention is getting a deal done wasn't really up to him, it was up to Bruce.  Scot could only really only give his opinion.

5 minutes ago, rebornempowered said:

Id guess it was Bruce and Dan as the impediment for getting Kirk signed. Jay and Scot had to convince Bruce and Dan to start Cousins over RG3. 

Bruce/Eric handle contract negotiations as well. I dont think Scot had any part of contract negotiations. 

22 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

Mmmmmmmmmm...........no

Like Kevin Sheenan said this morning, "fans are going to believe that there was a power struggle"

He doesn't believe that and I don't. Scot, when he took the job, had issues. Everybody knew it.

People are going to believe different things because different outlets are reporting different things.

NFL Network has been talking about this all morning, and they've made no mention of alcohol being the issue.

They are saying this is a result of Dan Snyder and his "right-hand man" (their words) Bruce Allen wanted to build the team in one direction.

McCloughan didn't agree with it. He wanted to go a different way. So they fired him before free agency and the draft started so it would be their vision that was put in place.

That is what NFL Network is saying.

Other outlets are saying it is because of the drinking. So who do you believe?

Or does it really matter now?

One comment on the timing of all this as it seems to be an issue for a lot of posters.

In reading through the timeline of events it seems pretty clear that Scot was the one who chose to blow it up at this point in the off season.  He left work and was not sent home as was erroneously reported, that was backed up by his own wife in her twitter spree.  He then did not return to work and it was his agent that started using his grandmothers passing to explain his absence.  This is not to say a divorce was not inevitable but I do think that given the option Bruce would have kept him on board until FA and the draft were over but Scot forced his hand.

10 minutes ago, rebornempowered said:

It was NOT Scott's job to "to get a deal done" with Cousins.

He was not the money man. That responsibility falls to Team President Bruce Allen and to Eric Schaffer.

I blame Snyder for not nipping this in the bud. I know folks want Snyder hands off, but this is a moment where the boy wonder needed to be an adult and mediate this. And they should have known that once he missed the combine, all hell was gonna break loose. But judging by the curious timing, they decided 5 minutes ago that keeping him around was untenable.

And now, the johnny come lately reporters and beat guys are coming outta the woodwork saying this has been coming for a while.  That's why I said in the other thread that this parting needed to happen before just now.

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

It was NOT Scott's job to "to get a deal done" with Cousins.

He was not the money man. That responsibility falls to Team President Bruce Allen and to Eric Schaffer.

Might not be the money man but he gave several quotes after the 2015 season to say he felt the tag was the right option and he wanted to see more from Kirk before paying for a LTD.  He did say he would be happy for Kirk to prove it to him and having to pay him would be a nice problem to have as it would mean he was playing well but he seems to have been very much on board with not gewtting the deal done last year.

Just now, WelshSkinsFan said:

Might not be the money man but he gave several quotes after the 2015 season to say he felt the tag was the right option and he wanted to see more from Kirk before paying for a LTD.  He did say he would be happy for Kirk to prove it to him and having to pay him would be a nice problem to have as it would mean he was playing well but he seems to have been very much on board with not gewtting the deal done last year.

Scott may have liked the tag, and been on board with it, but I bet it still wasn't his call to make.

He scouted and found players for the team. He didn't handle contract negotiations.

55 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

They did Scot dirty...starting from when the FO had Cooley plant the seed a few weeks back, the grandmother excuse, etc.  This is a clown show at it's finest.  We had something good going here, and now there are more questions than answers. 

"Plant the seed"?  Snogging the Comcast girl, breaking your hand punching a wall and putting on 40 lbs and turning red as a stop sign didn't "plant the seed" for you?

Snyder and Allen have virtually never done the right thing, and even when they back into a right decision, certainly have never done it the right way. They hired Scot, and either interfered colossally as numerous reports indicate, or they allowed him to perpetually drink in irresponsible ways for 18 months without taking action until allowing it to come to a head at the most critical time of the most critical offseason in years. Only traumatized Redskins fans could rationalize either of those scenarios as 'doing the right thing.'

The only thing the Snyder/Allen regime excels at are dysfunctional power struggles, nepotism, sycophantic behavior, and smearing their former 'saviors' on the way out the door. 

49 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

Mmmmmmmmmm...........no

Like Kevin Sheenan said this morning, "fans are going to believe that there was a power struggle"

He doesn't believe that and I don't. Scot, when he took the job, had issues. Everybody knew it.

Including the two idiots that hired him.....right? So to US, the fans, they failed as well. Only difference is scot did it, if true, due to a disease and did it just once. With dumb and dumber running the show failing us is simply the gift that keeps on giving. 

No they did the wrong thing. What moron thought it'd be a good idea to fire your GM at the beginning of free agency?

It's similar to capgate except we inflicted this penalty to ourselves. 

Coupled with the cousins situation, the Redskins franchise looks to be in complete disarray. I get that this information is sensationalized by the media; however, just like draft warrooms take players of their draft list, If i were a free agent id be crossing thr redskins off my list.

Too many red flags. Bunch of morons. 

54 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

Mmmmmmmmmm...........no

Then they have nobody to blame but themselves for trusting a drunk.  If the Post article is true, they gave him way too many strikes to work with.

1 minute ago, sportjunkie07 said:

No they did the wrong thing. What moron thought it'd be a good idea to fire your GM at the beginning of free agency?

It's similar to capgate except we inflicted this penalty to ourselves. 

Coupled with the cousins situation, the Redskins franchise looks to be in complete disarray. I get that this information is sensationalized by the media; however, just like draft warrooms take players of their draft list, If i were a free agent id be crossing thr redskins off my list.

Too many red flags. Bunch of morons. 

They botched it by not doing it sooner, but at this point, I dont think it made a difference whether they kept him on payroll or not.  At least this way, they can move on instead of stringing out this drama for 6 more weeks.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Then they have nobody to blame but themselves for trusting a drunk.  If the Post article is true, they gave him way too many strikes to work with.

They botched it by not doing it sooner, but at this point, I dont think it made a difference whether they kept him on payroll or not.  At least this way, they can move on instead of stringing out this drama for 6 more weeks.

No doubt he should be gone but their timing could not have been worse. They could've kept him on the roster longer or done whatever was necessary to ensure he wasn't released right now. 

Major gaffe. 

26 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

But still, Bruce seemed perfectly comfortable with his power to overrule Scot, so it almost didn't matter what Scot's opinion on it was.  If Bruce told him Kirk was getting an LTD and that was that, Scot was going to have to take it.

Where they right to prance SM onto a podium and announce to the world that he had total control of all things regarding personnel, then force him to keep the existing scouts and (allegedly) overrule him on key decisions?

Was it right to tell us this week that he was dealing with a family member and say he will be returning to work shortly when Allen knew there wasn't an ounce of truth to that?

Did it sound normal for  Bruce Allen to be  running around Redskins Park a month ago chirping "Trent Murphy had a pretty good year. Morgan Moses had a pretty good year.  Those were my picks"?

Is it right that virtually everyone who leave here leave on bad terms?  Is that a coincidence?

Give history there is no question who screwed up the Cousins situation and now they will say goodbye to the only good QB we have had here in 2 generations. 

Archived