Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

Hell of a catch. AJ jumped very high and reached very far. Loved seeing that. Machado saluted him.

This has been a great game to watch. Hope we pull it out.

McCutchen! 2 run double!

Victory!!!! Stanton absolutely smashed one in the 4th to take the lead. Exit velocity of 117 mph. That catch by Adam cannot be understated. Kept momentum going the USA's way. Kept the lead at 2 runs, which is huge cuz Cano immediately followed with a solo.

Kinda bums me out that the thing that AJ will probably be most remembered for didn't happen in an Orioles uniform in a playoff game or World Series.  While I'm happy the USA and AJ won the WBC, the whole tournament is still a joke.

Not sad that the Yankees lost Didi for some time because it's the Yankees but if that happened to Jones, Machado or any other Oriole in the tournament I'd be ****ing livid.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kinda bums me out that the thing that AJ will probably be most remembered for didn't happen in an Orioles uniform in a playoff game or World Series.  While I'm happy the USA and AJ won the WBC, the whole tournament is still a joke.

Except I'm pretty sure anything that happens in the WBC will be quickly forgotten, so he won't even be remembered for that.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Except I'm pretty sure anything that happens in the WBC will be quickly forgotten, so he won't even be remembered for that.

I doubt it. That catch will be nominated for an Espy. 

And if AJ one day gets a statue at OPACY, that catch should be his pose.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

While I'm happy the USA and AJ won the WBC, the whole tournament is still a joke.

Why do you consider the WBC a joke? The format? Or not every best player is there?

I think each country does a great job of fielding competitive teams. Doesn't matter if Trout, Kershaw, Donaldson, etc. was missing. USA has enough good players.

Only thing I would like to see is extended series like a best of 3 playoffs system. 1 and done doesn't seem fair in baseball. But they do what they can given the time of year.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Why do you consider the WBC a joke? The format? Or not every best player is there?

I think each country does a great job of fielding competitive teams. Doesn't matter if Trout, Kershaw, Donaldson, etc. was missing. USA has enough good players.

Only thing I would like to see is extended series like a best of 3 playoffs system. 1 and done doesn't seem fair in baseball. But they do what they can given the time of year.

I just don't think baseball needs a world tournament.  there's no good time of year to do it that doesn't do potential damage to the MLB season.  Again, the Yankees have lost Didi for quite some time.  While I'm not too upset about it because he's a Yankee, he might still be healthy and able to help his team.  I would be apoplectic if any Oriole lost time because of an injury sustained in the WBC.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why people think this will be a bad year. Have the Orioles gotten worse in any areas? I don't expect them to win 120 or run away with the division. But they should be in contention for the playoffs again. As long as they have Buck, they will be in it. 

I feel weird going into this season. In seasons pat, we just wanted to be above .500 or make the playoffs.

After 5 years of being the winningest team in the AL and making the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years ..... im kinda melancholy entering the season bc I dont think the Os will win the WS? 

Bitter sweet. I know the Os will win some games, go on some awesome hot streaks but at the end of the day, they did nothing to make a run at the WS. That is the disappointing part for me, we got somewhat close the last few years but instead of making a push we just tread water.

Ill be there today, weather should be awesome.  

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

O's will be in contention all year. No one is running away with the AL East and at least one wild card team comes from the division as well. 

Red Sox will. 

Will be a dog fight for 2nd in the division, but we're not getting a WC berth from the AL East.

O's starting pitching sucks.  We don't have speed and will have the same issues with guys getting on base w/ regularity (outside of Manny.)  If the long ball isn't working, then what? 

I got close to zero optimism going into this year.  Should have tried to blow the whole thing up and have a mini-rebuild. 

25 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Red Sox will. 

Will be a dog fight for 2nd in the division, but we're not getting a WC berth from the AL East.

O's starting pitching sucks.  We don't have speed and will have the same issues with guys getting on base w/ regularity (outside of Manny.)  If the long ball isn't working, then what? 

I got close to zero optimism going into this year.  Should have tried to blow the whole thing up and have a mini-rebuild. 

That is "worst case scenario" stuff imo -- Starting Pitchers cant get past 4 innings and we go weeks with a scoring drought. Which I dont think is unrealistic but on the bottom end of the spectrum. 

Bundy and Gausman can become legit pitchers, maybe even top shelf guys. Machado, Trumbo, Jones, Schoop are legitimate hitters. The platooning of Kim et al could work out. Maybe Crush wont be such a huge black hole in the heart of the lineup, although his Training Camp would beg to differ. 

Do you have 0 optimism that the Os will be competitive or that the Os wont win the WS? 

(im trying to talk myself into believing in Orioles magic .. even though I feel like Im about to watch the same movie I have seen for the past 5 years, good plot, some exciting action ... just wish the ending was different.)

If Seth Smith is a decent lead off hitter, then I think this team can be better than last year.  I think we are in contention all year for the wild card and nipping at the Red Sox for the division. Manny does a full MVP candidate season where he gets talked about as much as Trout. I'm looking forward to this season.  

Archived