Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so here's my thought on what is going to happen.

1. Kirk wants to play for an organization that WANTS him. 

2. Kyle/SF will WANT him.

3. In order to trade him, 'Skins need to sign him to some deal first.

4. Kirk has had tremendous success in DC, and he knows that he fits the offense well.

5. Kirk has to make a decision, does he go through the entire re-build process in SF with Kyle, where most likely he'll have a good offensive system, but a less talented team?  Or does he want more success now.  If he decides he's going to go through the re-buld process, then he's as good as gone.

6. 'Skins will tag him, and work out a deal with SF. 

7. I would assume Colt McCoy is your starting QB for 2018.  'Skins will win 6 games. 

8.  GMSM will invest heavily in the defense.  And try and build a roster similar to what he had in Seattle and SF.  Defense lead teams with average QBs.

My guess is that we get a 1 and 2 back from SF.  1st this year, second next year. 

We're not getting the #2 overall pick back from SF for Cousins.  That would be unprecedented. 

*QBs HAVE been traded for 1st round picks, but I'm having a very hard time imagining the the SF brass would be OK with that trade. 

21 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

We're not getting the #2 overall pick back from SF for Cousins.  That would be unprecedented. 

*QBs HAVE been traded for 1st round picks, but I'm having a very hard time imagining the the SF brass would be OK with that trade. 

If you're San Francisco and your new headcoach wants HIS guy. One he helped develop and knows extremely well, why wouldn't you do it? You avoid having to develop a QB and all you part with is one first round pick in a weak QB draft. Now if I were the Redskins I'd want way more than that. Probably a first and second this year and either a second or third next year. If San Fran wants him then they're going to pay. 

I still think its wack that the only way to prove our undying love to Kirk and make him want to stay is to pay him like hes the best QB in the league. Im too prideful to support something like that. Thats what hoes do lol

Anyway, if we can sign and trade the dude and you are telling me McCoy or whomever we put back there is going to get us to 6 wins, I take the trade in a heartbeat and we would be absolutely crazy not to. 2 less wins, a few players and a top draft pick for a dude that is putting other QBs and their millions over his own team? Yes please. Thanks, see you on Sunday. 

Guys, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but don't be shocked of a crazy offseason. I want Kirk to sign on a LTD but it seems like it's not a definite at this point. 

Lots of Kyle Shanahan to 49ers, and Schefter who is plugged in with Shanahan's more than anyone, strongly suggesting Kyle will go after Kirk is concerning. I'd like to think we'd get SOMETHING for Kirk if he isn't re-signed. There are also suggestions Rivers would be interested going to SF, ARZ, or WAS. Then there's Romo. A lot of moving parts this offseason and this situation with Kirk feels unique. 

There are not 32 starting caliber NFL QBs on the planet. Kirk is one of them.

Pay the man. Over-pay him. Lock him up. Get it done.

Who cares if he is "elite" or not or never becomes "elite"? He is a starting caliber NFL QB.

Have you all forgotten Beck? Grossman? TONY freakin' BANKS??

Redskin quarterbacks since 2001:

2014 Robert Griffin III (7) / Kirk Cousins (5) / Colt McCoy (4)
2013 Robert Griffin III (13) / Kirk Cousins (3)
2012 Robert Griffin III (15) / Kirk Cousins (1)
2011 Rex Grossman (13) / John Beck (3)
2010 Donovan McNabb (13) / Rex Grossman (3)
2009 Jason Campbell (16)
2008 Jason Campbell (16)
2007 Jason Campbell (13) / Todd Collins (3)
2006 Mark Brunell (9) / Jason Campbell (7)
2005 Mark Brunell (15) / Patrick Ramsey (1)
2004 Mark Brunell (9) / Patrick Ramsey (7)
2003 Patrick Ramsey (11) / Tim Hasselbeck (5)
2002 Shane Matthews (7) / Patrick Ramsey (5) / Danny Wuerffel (4)
2001 Tony Banks (14) / Jeff George (2)

Seriously. The QB carousel sucks. If you have one, don't let them go. 

The Redskins have one. Please don't let him go!

Unless Kirk makes it clear he absolutely does not want to be here and demands a trade, I wouldn't trade him. If he does do this, then it would take 2 firsts plus some, or some combo of 1-3 Rd picks in back to back years. Bottom line I'm not trading Kirk and starting over for some unknowns. We'd be punting on def 1 if not multiple seasons. A couple wrong picks and the whole thing blows up in your face.

A bird in the hand....

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

But Kirk is going to end up with the highest paid contract in the league. And he's only a top 10 QB at best. It is a business decision. We should have signed him last year for less.

That would only matter if you could easily replace him with another QB that would perform close to what he has done. But its not that easy which is why we were looking for decades and other teams have been looking for decades. So rather than have a very good QB for more than you want to pay and actually be a viable team, you would rather dump him for what is most likely trekking back into the QB wasteland for the next decade unless we get really lucky? How is that a smart decision just to save a few million bucks?

The business decision would be keeping him even if its costing you a bit more than you want because he can actually win you games.

There's no secret that Cousins harbors some animosity toward this team and will gladly sign the tag this year and hit the market next year. Ideally, we'd work out a long term deal, but his goal is to be a free agent, not to re-sign here. So, it'd be in our best interest to attempt a sign & trade. 

In a way, either signing him to a LTD or completing a sign-&-trade is a win/win for us. There are serious questions with his intangibles/clutchness/composure and I don't know if we'd ever have an honest shot at a Super Bowl run with him at the helm. That being said, I don't mind going into every season knowing we'll be competitive and assuming the floor will be 8-8.

11 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

But Kirk is going to end up with the highest paid contract in the league. And he's only a top 10 QB at best. It is a business decision. We should have signed him last year for less.

Also if he is top 10 at best, name for me 10 QBs that have but up better numbers than him over the last 2 years that are obviously better. And maybe notice also how many not great QBs there are in this leage as well, its not easy to find a good one.

13 minutes ago, CTskin said:

There's no secret that Cousins harbors some animosity toward this team and will gladly sign the tag this year and hit the market next year. Ideally, we'd work out a long term deal, but his goal is to be a free agent, not to re-sign here. So, it'd be in our best interest to attempt a sign & trade. 

In a way, either signing him to a LTD or completing a sign-&-trade is a win/win for us. There are serious questions with his intangibles/clutchness/composure and I don't know if we'd ever have an honest shot at a Super Bowl run with him at the helm. That being said, I don't mind going into every season knowing we'll be competitive and assuming the floor will be 8-8.

Where is it obvious that he harbors animosity and doesnt want to be here but instead wants to hit the market? Or is that just something you have come up with?

28 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Where is it obvious that he harbors animosity and doesnt want to be here but instead wants to hit the market? Or is that just something you have come up with?

Its pretty obvious when they ask you straight up if you want to be here and you refuse to answer. The common response of someone who doesn't care if "Sure I want to be here, but we will see how that all works out" or something cheesy along those lines. 

Hes not shy about anything else so I doubt its an oversight. 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its pretty obvious when they ask you straight up if you want to be here and you refuse to answer. The common response of someone who doesn't care if "Sure I want to be here, but we will see how that all works out" or something cheesy along those lines. 

I don't like that attitude at all.  Frankly, I think I he still might have the Shanahan's in his ear. That would be my only guess, as to why I constantly get the feeling like he feels he's entitled to so much around here

1 hour ago, lavar1156 said:

If we somehow get two #1's from the 49ers then I think we have to take that deal. 

Obviously...but I HIGHLY doubt that they'll even entertain giving up that much for Cousins. 

If so, I guess we gotta prepare for the Cutler/Taylor/Romo era here in DC. 

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thats an assumption though, its not pretty obvious as you are having to read into it. You may be correct, but it may mean nothing other than thats how hes decided to respond as he doesnt want to discuss it beyond that in the media. Just because others may respond a certain way doesnt mean he has to and him deviating doesnt mean he doesnt want to be here. Thats just what some people have assumed, doesnt make it true or obvious.

You think thats what it means, great, I just dont see how you could draw an obvious conclusion either way.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't like that attitude at all.  Frankly, I think I he still might have the Shanahan's in his ear. That would be my only guess, as to why I constantly get the feeling like he feels he's entitled to so much around here

Im glad im not the only one picking up on that. His little 'tude is very off putting for me and I would be surprised if people in the front office aint picking up on it as well. 

I still cant get over 'how you like me now, either. 

If we trade Kirk, we might as well trade Trent Williams too.  He's in his prime and what motivation will he have to put his body on the line (which he does) for a team that's starting over on its QB carousel?  Anyway, if we do franchise Kirk and try to trade him to S.F., I could see him and the 17th pick for the 2nd.  Still, given where we are, I'd rather keep Kirk and sign him to a LTD.  It's been a long time since issue at QB was $ not talent.

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Thats an assumption though, its not pretty obvious as you are having to read into it. You may be correct, but it may mean nothing other than thats how hes decided to respond as he doesnt want to discuss it beyond that in the media. Just because others may respond a certain way doesnt mean he has to and him deviating doesnt mean he doesnt want to be here. Thats just what some people have assumed, doesnt make it true or obvious.

You think thats what it means, great, I just dont see how you could draw an obvious conclusion either way.

You are right. It is an assumption that I had to read into to get. But what else do we have to go by? Its not like he has said anything to point in the other direction. Im mean seriously, what are we doing here? We are all fans and have no inside info. I know for a fact he DIDNT say he wanted to be here when given the chance. Thats about all we know. If we are going to discuss it, you have to use the information available or there is not pointing talking about it. 

He literally refused to answer if he wanted to be here or not. But he will walk up to the GM after a good game and yell in his face? And you dont see anything....off....about that?

Come on. 

The reality that some people have to accept at this point is that Kirk being or not being here might possibly not even be in our front office's hands at all (besides another franchise tag that is).  If Kirk wants to leave, he will ultimately leave whether it is this offseason or after 2017.  It's also possible that our front office already has a good idea of Kirk's intentions and we as fans don't, and that they are already working behind the scenes on what to do next.

This discussion sometimes gets a little to "tunnel vision" for the reality of all that goes into the business side of the NFL.  I don't think "Let him Walk vs. Give him whatever he wants" has ever been the correct narrative 

Archived