Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Redskins Schedule Speculation and Rumors

kleese

Never too early, right? 

I pretty much only post during the season other than popping in from

time to time with schedule talk, so

this is where I will do that. 

Schedule is several months from being released but we do sometimes get leaks or rumors. All we know now is our list of opponents: 

HOME: 

Cowboys

Giants

Eagles

Broncos 

Raiders

Vikings

49ers

Cardinals 

AWAY: 

Cowboys 

Giants 

Eagles

Chiefs

Chargers 

Saints

Rams

Seahawks 

Three West Coast trips plus KC is interesting. If the Chargers move we will play in Los Angeles twice and in recent years the NFL has tried to schedule team to play in back to back weeks for long trips in close areas. So I will be interested to see if any of those games

are bunched. 

As far as national TV goes I expect

to see a similar schedule to what we saw this year. No London trip and we won't be in Dallas on Turkey Day. I definitely think one of our games with Dallas gets the primetime treatment. 

10 minutes ago, just654 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us on turkey day again with the cowboys, highest rated thanksgiving game ever.

Doubt it. If the Chiefs go to Dallas next season, can see that being an attractive Turkey Day match.

Of course, we could get placed on the Thanksgiving night game against someone.

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I'm just excited to see us at Arrowhead.  That's only a 2.5 hour drive for me.  I'll definitely be helping to organize an ES Tailgate for that one. 

I was there in 2005....only a 5 hour drive for me. It will for sure be on my list next year depending on how it falls on the schedule. 

So, this one guy on the redskins FB page comments on the post showing the 2017 opponents. His comment said "we will never get an easy schedule until we start winnng games. Look at the patriots 11-14 win seasons". 

Ummm...except if we start winning games, we will get a first place schedule....opponents (except for the two teams based on standings) have been set WAYYYYYY in advance based on a formula in place until 2018...and also, the patriots have 11-14 win seasons due to Brady and Bill, not due to an "easier schedule" (because they get a first place schedule, you see) 

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

opponents (except for the two teams based on standings) have been set WAYYYYYY in advance based on a formula in place until 2018.

Curious.......is the way the schedules are formulated going to change after 2018?  Because I assumed its been the same at least since 2002 when they went to the four-team divisions.

4 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Curious.......is the way the schedules are formulated going to change after 2018?  Because I assumed its been the same at least since 2002 when they went to the four-team divisions.

I don't think they will change the formula after 2018, even though that's when it goes until. I bet they'd keep it the same. I don't see why they wouldn't

13 hours ago, kleese said:

As far as national TV goes I expect

to see a similar schedule to what we saw this year. No London trip and we won't be in Dallas on Turkey Day. I definitely think one of our games with Dallas gets the primetime treatment. 

The only home non-division opponent that has prime time on it is Oakland.  Maybe Minnesota or Arizona for Monday night ...

Other tidbits ... Christmas Eve games on Sunday and I have a bad feeling we will have a home game.  The last time the league had back to back seasons with Christmas Eve games (2005 and 2006), we hosted the first and traveled the second.  Then again, six teams had home games Christmas "weekend" ... five on Christmas Eve with Green Bay hosting national games (2005: v CHI on Christmas afternoon; 2006: v MIN the Thursday prior).

Our last two Christmas Eve home games ... 2011 vs Minnesota (sparsely attended) and 2005 vs the Ginas (the place was rocking).  Maybe we get to host Dallas on Christmas Eve 2017??   LOL

Back to home prime time ... with Metro's Safe Track work and their adamant position to not run trains late, could the team get an exception to not host prime time games until that has been completed?  It sucks that our fans who rely on Metro have to leave as the fourth quarter starts in order to get home.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hard pressed to classify this as "news," but the playoff results did give us a tiny bit of more info/speculation on the schedule.

All of our 2017 opponents have been eliminated now. This means we will NOT be playing in the opening Thursday night game, traditionally hosted by the SB champion. 

Other things we know or can reasonably guess: 

--I fully expect our opener to be on Sunday, Sept. 10th next year. As stated above we won't/can't be the Thursday game and I'd be surprised if we opened on MNF again. I also wouldn't expect for us to get a marquee week one slot UNLESS it's against Dallas. The Cowboys will almost certainly be the late FOX feature game or the SNF game-- and it wouldn't stun me if we were the opponent in either of those. But if I were to wager a guess, I'd guess we play a "standard" 1pm opener next year. 

--We will close the season with one of our six possible division match ups, as always under the new scheduling format. Contrary to popular opinion, this is not done on a rotating basis and there are plenty of instances where teams have ended seasons against each other in back to back years-- even at the same venue. In our case, it's bee a pretty constant revolving door and I think we've had all the possibilities at least once-- although I'm not sure I ever remember ending at home vs the Eagles? 

--Per league rules, we will play a Thursday game--- the league basically never repeats Thanksgiving match ups so you can cross Dallas again off your list. Always a chance we could play the Thanksgiving night game, but if you look at history those have traditionally been AFC teams with the day games being more NFC-heavy. I'm guessing we just a get a random one in there somewhere. Unlikely it would be the Rams, Cardinals, 49ers, Chargers, Seahawks, Raiders, or Broncos though-- league tries to reduce travel for Thursday game. A division game or maybe the game against Minnesota or New Orleans game stand out to me as most likely. 

--The Saints play in London either week 3 or 4 (Sept. 24th or Oct. 1st). They should have a BYE immediately following, so don't lol for our game in New Orleans to

be in late Sept. or early October (although we could play them on the 24th if their London game winds up being Week 4). 

--Minnesota, Arizona, and the Rams will all play in London in weeks 7 and 8 (Oct 22nd and Oct 29th). Same situation as above. We won't play any of those teams on the 29th (although this year for the first time, a London participant did not have a BYE immediately following a London game-- Colts-- I don't think that will be a trend). 

So that is all we really now at this point. I love doing a mock schedule but I'll wait until we get into the off-season and FA a bit as that can sometimes change match-up intrigue. 

I do think it is safe to say we will

have a national TV schedule at least approx to what we had this year. I expect one SNF game for

sure and I expext that to be against Dallas or NYG. I expect at least one and more likely

two MNF games-- and hopefully at least one will be on the road. 

With games at Los Angeles (twice) and Seattle and with those games being HIGHLY unlikely to be on Thursday, you can pencil in three 4:05/4:25 starts next year-- always a chance one of those is at night, but none of the seem fit for SNF and only the game at Seattle would seem to be MNF material and I don't really see that happening. I also think we are likely to get at least one 4:25 start against Dallas or the Giants. 

Good candidates for SNF:

Dallas

at Dallas

NYG

at NYG 

Less likely, but maybe: 

Raiders

Broncos 

Good candidates for Thursday Night: 

Any division game 

Vikings

at Saints 

Good candidates for MNF:

Any division game 

Vikings 

Cardinals 

at Saints 

at Chiefs 

Raiders 

Broncos 

10 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I believe the McVay / Gruden narrative Will be worth a prime time game. Maybe a flex game mate in season if both teams are relevant and fighting for playoffs berth?

I don't think anyone outside of ES cares about that. I bet the majority of NFL fans never heard of McVay until last week. Redskins at Rams is a dog game and I don't expect it to get any sort of special attention-- unless of course it's a late season game and both teams are doing really well. Can't imagine this one being pre-scheduled for any sort of marquee slot. 

I will speculate that whatever our schedule ends up being; Skins fans are due for massive disappointment in 2017.  No coach under Dan Snyder has lasted more than 4 years and I expect that trend to continue after 2017.  I have this feeling we are going to crash and burn in 2017.  Even if Kirk gets his millions; I think he will mentally fail to live up to, that salary he would be getting.  I don't think we are going to get a quality DC. My gut sees a house cleaning after this season and that could include Scot.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, kleese said:

I don't think anyone outside of ES cares about that. I bet the majority of NFL fans never heard of McVay until last week. Redskins at Rams is a dog game and I don't expect it to get any sort of special attention-- unless of course it's a late season game and both teams are doing really well. Can't imagine this one being pre-scheduled for any sort of marquee slot. 

with kyle shanahan most likely going to San Francisco once the falcons season is over, and since the 49ers are due to play the skins at FedEx, do you suppose that would be pre-scheduled for a primetime game? yes I know I know, nobody wants any more primetime FedEx Field games. I don't either, but just wondering if that game could be a possibility.

i'd say no, most likely a 4:30 game. but would love to hear your opinion on it man :) 

always enjoy getting your opinion on scheduling stuff, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about it

Archived