Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I felt the same when I saw the DL guys we picked. Looked like the DL guys SM got us in the past. Overpaying for average players when there are some real good run stopping linemen to be had. I still think SM made these picks.

Or as we're finding out, Allen was way more heavily involved going back to almost the beginning. This type of FA has been Allen's calling card since he got here and it never changed with Scot.

7 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

As I suspected with Garcon, the decision not to retain a player is based upon interpersonal relationships not the football field. 

The decision is not being made by a football person.

I wonder if its possible they knew what type of deal he was looking for/would get on the open market or if they really just had no interest in a return even if the deal wasn't so heavy in year 1.

5 hours ago, London Kev said:

The article said that he had received treatment for his problem, seems like they tried to help him.

I don't know if this is all true or not, and I've been a big supporter of Scott. But if it is true, do you really want a drunk running the team?

Winston-Churchill.jpg

11 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

As I suspected with Garcon, the decision not to retain a player is based upon interpersonal relationships not the football field. 

The decision is not being made by a football person.

I loved Garçon- he brought a toughness to the position. But not signing a 30 year old receiver to a deal like he got with the 49ers is totally defensible from a football perspective. He got an average of close to $10M a year with $20M guaranteed. I'd rather have a much younger Pryor if we can sign him even if he costs us more. Give me a young 6' 4" 223lb receiver who runs a 4.38 40 and who is still scratching the surface of his potential. 

If we cant sign him though - we start to look thin at the position after losing both Garçon and Jackson.

15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Or as we're finding out, Allen was way more heavily involved going back to almost the beginning. This type of FA has been Allen's calling card since he got here and it never changed with Scot.

Or these are role players that we needed since there is only four? DL on the roster before today.... There are 3 Quality starters still out there, even after Baltimore re-upped their prize FA...  It's only one day into Free Agency.

23 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes and no. Looks very much like Year 1 was Scot's FA, with last year far more Bruce input. The Kendall Reyes, David Bruton signings seem pure Allen. Reactionary "cheap / value" moves following McCloughan's aggressive and more expensive (failed) acquisitions of Culliver, Paea, Knighton. We can safely say RJF and Vernon Davis were McCloughan signings. Junior Galette, too.

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

But not signing a 30 year old receiver to a deal like he got with the 49ers is totally defensible from a football perspective. He got an average of close to $10M a year with $20M guaranteed.

This is the time of year non football people take center stage. And it ain't football.

The question is posted do the Skins retain Garcon. I personally answer the question by looking at the game film. 

That's it. That's my method. At some point the money and numbers have to come in, but for the most part, I think of those agents and lawyers as white noise, a buzzing swarm of gnats that I unfortunately have to put up with for a short period of time before real football can commence once again. 

Garcon got 9.5 AAV according to spotrac. The spotrac market value before FA was at 8.7. 

Neither number was/is ludicrous. 

24 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I loved Garçon- he brought a toughness to the position. But not signing a 30 year old receiver to a deal like he got with the 49ers is totally defensible from a football perspective. He got an average of close to $10M a year with $20M guaranteed. I'd rather have a much younger Pryor if we can sign him even if he costs us more. Give me a young 6' 4" 223lb receiver who runs a 4.38 40 and who is still scratching the surface of his potential. 

If we cant sign him though - we start to look thin at the position after losing both Garçon and Jackson.

Pryor isn't "much younger" -- he turns 28 before training camp.

Living in Cowboys country, and seeing them play...Well they do play on national tv a lot...but my Cowboys family & friends really liked McClain and are pissed he signed with us.

I thought he was really good for the Cowboys. Baker had his moments with us, but I think McClain will be better if he stays healthy.

I haven't seen McGee play before but Raiders fans seem to really like him. Especially his run defense, they really wanted to keep him.

Swearinger is my personal favorite. I remember seeing the Redskins in Houston a few years ago when he was playing for the Texans. The kid was all over the field outside of JJ Watt.

I'm glad the Redskins didn't sign another safety and have hopes he would become a legit starting safety in the NFL just because he was a great special teams player like with Bruton. They actually got a safety that has started for some really good defenses.

All seem to be GMSM type of "football players" that he would of gone for himself.

Even if he doesn't seem like a GMSM guy, I would love Pryor with the Redskins . I think he is a little misunderstood like Norman was, and he has worked out pretty well for us. Got to give him credit for switching positions, and finding a position that he can be successful at in the NFL.

If we sign Pryor, hope we sign one more defensive linemen and a inside linebacker that could possibly push Compton. Pick up a cheap corner & free safety. Re-sign Hood & Garvin.We would be in good shape going into the draft.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I like your post.....But one of them is a career WR. The other has 16 games of experience. I hope we sign Pryor. But. RIGHT NOW, he is not DJax in his prime.

True, but we had Djax on the last year of his contract. He was playing for a big deal. Lets see how he does when he may not have the same motivation and the hamstrings start bothering him. I did like Djax but I like Pryor too.

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I can understand signing inferior players because they want to save money  but to pay them more than Baker??????  Allen has to go and go soon.

I don't believe either player is inferior to Baker....   Baker looked better to us, because the rest of our DL was horrid.

13 minutes ago, wvuredskinsfan82 said:

I assume Pryor went home without signing with us. Or is it possible they are still having a meeting at almost 2am? Anyone know?

Go to sleep. Nothing happening tonight. Hopefully tomorrow

20 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

So given that we all accept that '30' is the death knell for receivers -- we can expect to cut Terrelle Pryor in 2 years, right?

We all do? Really? lol...I think if there's anything we "all" do agree on, it's that you don't give a big contract to a WR who's gonna be over 30 years old when the season starts. Lots of WRs are productive after they turn 30. And considering Pryor only became a WR 2 years ago, he may just be hitting his prime when he turns 30.

Also, just for the record, 3 of the top 5 WRs in terms of most receptions were 30+ years old.

Archived