Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good could we be without these game killing mistakes/turnovers?

Skinzorz

Let's be realistic folks, good teams do not give games away. The game today was ours. We punished them in every aspect but their last drive and had some costly turnovers. This seems to be an issue with this team. How many times have we seen our guys make terrible judgement mistakes that good teams do not make? I would like to be optimistic as well, our offense looks great aside from those few mistakes. How great could this team be without the bad mistakes we have had this season? This thread was made so we can sound off about how we feel about this, and how we feel good or bad about the situation.

we would be 7-0 this year and many others. good teams limit mistakes and if they do have a bad game they come back and learn from it. comes from coaching, Patriots seem to perfect this year after year. Skins wont win with this owner, this coaching staff and God knows when will, if ever, they be a legit team. it wasnt last year, its not this year. Snyder will probably fire everyone this year again and start from scratch again. he will take over like he did in past and keep ruining this team thinking cause hes rich he knows better. **** that guy

I wonder if this is part of the process...we are relatively young and learning how to transition from an average team to a good team. It feels like we've continually outplayed our opponents this season, which is a good thing. Now we need to learn how to jump to the next level and make sure we win these games more consistently.

Given that we're chasing two divisional rivals and still have the tougher half of our schedule coming up, 2016 might not be a playoff year. But if we can gel just a bit more, take a few lumps, and stay competitive through 16 games then I'll be pretty excited about our direction. 

Scoring 14 points in the final 8 minutes to erase a 10-point deficit on the road isn't something we've done all that often. I think we need to recognize the development we are seeing. 

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Scoring 14 points in the final 8 minutes to erase a 10-point deficit on the road isn't something we've done all that often. I think we need to recognize the development we are seeing.

We are building something. People need to have some patience. 

This is year 2 of the rebuild and we are 4-3 after going 9-7 last year.

We still need to add some parts and some of the current parts need more experience, but it's coming. Two years ago if we turned the ball over like we did today, lost our best cb, and scored 3 points total in the first half we would have gotten the pants blown off us. 

This team IS going to be really good. Like smash you in your face and then take a dump on your lawn while you just smile and take it good.

It never gets old; I still shake my head at the simple  foul of illegal formation, when a WR or TE is supposedly covering another.

all the damn guys have to do is look down the line when they line up; if they're covering a TE or vice versa, they simply take a step back.

But NOOOOOOO,  that would be too much trouble.

Its a dumb rule to begin with, so you'd think a player would be smart enough not to do it.

Its part of the game.  You are never realistically going to get rid of turnovers and mistakes and penalties.  Its just football

To good teams it doesnt really matter, ultimately.  To mediocre teams the win or loss is almost always determined by the ability to minimize mistakes.  Bad teams cant overcome them at all, generally

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

to be 4-3 after starting 0-2. How many redskins teams of the past would fold down after 2 games?  This team scored 14 in a matter of 10 minutes on the road!!!

And then lost. I don't understand how this is any different than what the Redskins have been doing for the past 25 years? They always come back just to blow it anyway. This is what they do. 

6 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

And then lost. I don't understand how this is any different than what the Redskins have been doing for the past 25 years? They always come back just to blow it anyway. This is what they do. 

we should have lost the Baltimore game.  and also, the defense is not even close to be finished to be built by GMSM.  you can see how good this offense can be. 

30 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Well, the difference to me is that the Redskins are 13-10 over their last 23 regular season games. That's a whole lot better than what we've been doing the past 25 years. Unless you've been watching something else. 

10 minutes ago, kleese said:

Well, the difference to me is that the Redskins are 13-10 over their last 23 regular season games. That's a whole lot better than what we've been doing the past 25 years. Unless you've been watching something else. 

I was referring to today. Good lord. 

Just now, Taylor703 said:

I was referring to today. Good lord. 

I guess my point is how often do teams in the NFL lose games and then have their fans say "we played really clean, mistake free football today."? 

The 25 years of disappointment were marked by CONSISTENTLY losing these games over and over and over again. Now, we are generally winning these games. Of course we won't win them all. Every team that lost today is likely bemoaning missed opportunities and mistakes. 

1 minute ago, kleese said:

I guess my point is how often do teams in the NFL lose games and then have their fans say "we played really clean, mistake free football today."? 

The 25 years of disappointment were marked by CONSISTENTLY losing these games over and over and over again. Now, we are generally winning these games. Of course we won't win them all. Every team that lost today is likely bemoaning missed opportunities and mistakes. 

That, I agree with. 

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I wonder if this is part of the process...we are relatively young and learning how to transition from an average team to a good team. It feels like we've continually outplayed our opponents this season, which is a good thing. Now we need to learn how to jump to the next level and make sure we win these games more consistently.

Given that we're chasing two divisional rivals and still have the tougher half of our schedule coming up, 2016 might not be a playoff year. But if we can gel just a bit more, take a few lumps, and stay competitive through 16 games then I'll be pretty excited about our direction. 

This is a golden post TD.  Well said.

Its frustrating for sure, but I look at it in a glass half full way. We haven't really been thoroughly outplayed in any game outside of Week 1. Eventually we'll click and when we do we'll get on a roll, at least offensively, and start putting up tons of points. I thought this would be the week we'd put it all together, but maybe it won't happen until we're at home. Maybe the Viking game after the bye.

I'd much rather lose this way then lose because we're just getting stomped. We've been at worst even if not better then our opponent in every game after the opener.

The Lions got the same amount of penalties we had, the only difference is maybe the timing. The question doesn't rely only n penalties but also on fumbles, missed FGs, schemes. This loss was particularly frustrating because we lost to a team that was no better than us.

They had a bump after a known fumbler fumbled again, and a guy who really has shown absolutely no reason to be on the field commits a Harry High School penalty.

These are the two things i lay on coaching. Matt Jones, enough, the guy can't do it. He can't hold the ball, refuses to put two hands on it, can't run straight ahead, and shies away from contact. his first fumble came because he was doing his damned split step hop skip as the ball was being given to him instead of running forward. He constantly does this, removes all momentum from himself. This time he does it mid-handoff and loses the ball.

The second one, just put two hands on the mother****ing BALL. I do not understand why this is so hard for him to get. PUT. TWO. HANDS. ON. THE. MOTHER****ING. BALL.

the third one wasn't his fault,, just one of those things that happens on a day like yesterday. Slop leads to slop. Accidents happen.

But the second one loses the game. Fumbling into the end zone is inexcusable.

Ryan Grant has absolutely no value to this team. None. Can't catch. Can't run routes. Can't line up properly Can't stay on his feet. His penalty yesterday wiped out a huge play... potential game changing play.

Cut him today. I'll take my chances with Rashad Ross.

that said, in the losses, if we'd have had some of the bounces go our way things maybe are different. Ball bangs off of Breeland's ribs..  fumble rolls right o the Lions.   Same thing against Pittsburgh.. the bounces haven't gone our way. And nothing can control that. 

~Bang

Archived